Is it still possible to share youtube videos on the forum?

View attachment 47430
FYI the &list= at the end of the embed src seems to be what's breaking it.
If you plug the src into a new browser window it also says 'Video Unavailable', remove the &list= and it works.

Can confirm that removing "&list=" at the end of the src attribute works for me as well. It seems the forum software is automatically appending the list parameter without a value, which breaks the YouTube API. However, videos that already contain a value for the "&list=" path parameter (those which are in a playlist) appear to be working:

I searched the Xenforo forums and it doesn't look like this is a known bug yet.

XenForo 2.2.6 Patch 2 Released​

XenForo 2.2.6 included support for YouTube embeds which contain a playlist ID which allows an embedded video to be viewed within the context of the playlist it is part of. While this was working perfectly fine, YouTube seemingly made a change yesterday which prevented all YouTube embeds from displaying because many of them would have had an empty list parameter in the embed URL.

So, YT changed something yesterday which broke the change that XenForo had added in 2.2.6 to support playlists - which explains why it didn't stop working immediately after I applied Patch 1 some days ago.

Since the forum is using oEmbed, that probably means that when the forum makes an oEmbed call to YT to get the embed code for a video URL, it's being returned with the empty '&list=' URL param, which then breaks the embed.

That would be YT's fault - twice. Not only should a blank 'list' param not be returned if the vid URL is not for a playlist, but the fact that there IS a blank URL param in the embed code URL shouldn't break the embed, either. Bad programming!

Back
Top Bottom