Jeff Buckley:"Hallelujah"-waking up my emotional center?

It's true you don't necessarily have to understand the lyrics to be entirely moved by a song. I often listen to Brazilian samba as well as classic Spanish or French songs... sometimes I'll translate a song's lyrics, but quite often not.

I find this moving visually as well. It's been a long time since I've seen the film so I don't bring to this the narrative of the film so much as the feeling of the song and the mood of the visual sequence. Caetano Veloso (who is singing) is Brazilian, but since Almovodar is a Spanish director, he's singing in Spanish. Maybe Veloso wrote it in Spanish, I don't know.

I worked a bit on this translation. Very often the translations you find are awkward, and google translate doesn't help, so you look to come up with the equivalent poetry. I actually enjoy translating, maybe because I write poetry. I wish I knew more Spanish than I do though (!). Maybe working on translating is a good way to learn.

Cucurrucucu Paloma​

They say that during the night
she just went away in tears
They say he didn't eat,
he was only going to drink.
They swear that same sky
shuddered when he heard her cry
How he suffered for her,
and even in her death he was calling to her:
Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, he sang,
Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, he wailed,
of mortal passion she died.

What a sad dove
early in the morning she is going to sing to him
alone
at the house
with its little doors wide open
They swear that dove
is nothing but her soul,
still waiting
for the unhappy to return.
Cucurrucucu, paloma,
cucurrucucú, don't cry.
The stones never cry, paloma,
What do they know of love?

Last edited:
From what I have experienced in the past two years and what I am observing happening around me in some people’s relationships, I do wonder if the current times are bringing to each of our awareness an aching for the truest of our loves. The songs and music featured in this thread echo this ache.

It is strange: even though I'm very sad (for the many things flying through my brain right now, and for things I even don't recognize) I feel liberated - I know that my "emotional center" is finally working! I feel it was not so much the lyrics (all though the lyrics also triggered something) but the overall feeling of the melody and Jeff's "commitment".

For those interested, the piece is Loreena McKennit's "Dante's Song", which can be heard HERE; from her brilliant CD "Book of Secrets". It is a moving song, but I find the Russian monks choral accompaniament at the end particulary evocative.

For me it was with a capella version of The Sound of Silence (thank you Laura for posting that on FB :love:), and although I really like that song in original, this one when first heard had me dancing on the kitchen floor and sobbing/crying in 30 secs, also mentally feeling (if that can be said so) the sadness within and around.
Well, listening to it even now, my legs start tapping while sitting in the chair.
There is something, some powerful 'connection' through human voice touching the hearts of all 3 centers in us, or so it seems to me.

When my second marriage ended, I had to exert a great deal of effort to get through the day in my very busy and demanding job, without letting my sadness and grief overcome me. As a result, I would have difficulty accessing those emotions outside of work. Like you, I discovered that a very specific piece of music seemed to break down the walls built up during the day, and allow me to cry out my grief and sadness.

For those interested, the piece is Loreena McKennit's "Dante's Song", which can be heard HERE; from her brilliant CD "Book of Secrets". It is a moving song, but I find the Russian monks choral accompaniament at the end particulary evocative.
Oh my goodness Dante’s Prayer cracked me.
Here are the lyrics:
When the dark wood fell before me
And all the paths were overgrown
When the priests of pride say there is no other way
I tilled the sorrows of stone
I did not believe because I could not see
Though you came to me in the night
When the dawn seemed forever lost
You showed me your love in the light of the stars
Cast your eyes on the ocean
Cast your soul to the sea
When the dark night seems endless
Please remember me
Then the mountain rose before me
By the deep well of desire
From the fountain of forgiveness
Beyond the ice and the fire
Please remember me
Though we share this humble path, alone
How fragile is the heart
Oh give these clay feet wings to fly
To touch the face of the stars
Breathe life into this feeble heart
Lift this mortal veil of fear
Take these crumbled hopes, etched with tears
We'll rise above these earthly cares
Please remember me

Have you listened to Disturbed’s version?
The vocals are phenomenal.

I did, many times before, and I really like it, but there's no such effect, at least not even close to Pentatonix version. Maybe part of the difference comes from rest of the music in the song, Pentatonix is a capella?

On me, 'voice music' has had somehow deeper effects, for example the following had me goose bumps all over the body and tears in the eyes:

I've listened to both, Jeff Buckley's and K. D. Lang's versions, and I really like L. Cohen (RIP), but Pentatonix version of Hallelujah is something else for me:

I’m listening to these tracks and noticing that each of them seems to stir or activate a different energy centre. The Pentatonix versions are lighter and the energy focus seems higher up around the crown of my head. Then Jeff Buckley’s version stirred different parts, lower into my throat.

But the Russian quartet, holy heck that’s incredible, seems to activate the entire whole body centres maybe. That’s what it felt like.

For me the version of Hallelujah that father Ray Kelly performed in celebration of a wedding belongs to the most touching and beautiful things I‘ve ever heard. It brings tears to my eyes and gives me goosebumps every time. And the voice is just incredible too. Enjoy!:

Funny that this thread resurrected. Back when it was originally posted, I checked out Jeff Buckley and for some reason it led me to discover Mike Farris and his cover of "Mercy Now" which is quite powerful:

Thanks for sharing! It's awesome! I will look for more music by Mike Farris. Yesterday I immersed myself in the sounds that touch poignant feelings in my being, and found that the pain I feel seems to transcend this life. It's like I feel pain for being born and these sounds transport me to a more spiritual state, so to speak. I feel nostalgia for something I cannot describe. I will continue to deepen and observe this pain. Again, thank you for the divine music!:love:

It's true you don't necessarily have to understand the lyrics to be entirely moved by a song. I often listen to Brazilian samba as well as classic Spanish or French songs... sometimes I'll translate a song's lyrics, but quite often not.

I find this moving visually as well. It's been a long time since I've seen the film so I don't bring to this the narrative of the film so much as the feeling of the song and the mood of the visual sequence. Caetano Veloso (who is singing) is Brazilian, but since Almovodar is a Spanish director, he's singing in Spanish. Maybe Veloso wrote it in Spanish, I don't know.

I worked a bit on this translation. Very often the translations you find are awkward, and google translate doesn't help, so you look to come up with the equivalent poetry. I actually enjoy translating, maybe because I write poetry. I wish I knew more Spanish than I do though (!). Maybe working on translating is a good way to learn.

Cucurrucucu Paloma​

They say that during the night
she just went away in tears
They say he didn't eat,
he was only going to drink.
They swear that same sky
shuddered when he heard her cry
How he suffered for her,
and even in her death he was calling to her:
Ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, he wailed,
of mortal passion she died.

What a sad dove
early in the morning she is going to sing to him
alone
at the house
with its little doors wide open
They swear that dove
is nothing but her soul,
still waiting
for the unhappy to return.
Cucurrucucu, paloma,
cucurrucucú, don't cry.
The stones never cry, paloma,
What do they know of love?
Thank you Heather for sharing! I really like Caetano Veloso. His voice feels like a caress in my heart. I feel tranquility and a sweet joy when I listen to him.:flowers:

For me the version of Hallelujah that father Ray Kelly performed in celebration of a wedding belongs to the most touching and beautiful things I‘ve ever heard. It brings tears to my eyes and gives me goosebumps every time. And the voice is just incredible too. Enjoy!:

Thank you Cosmos! It's wonderful! :love:

After listening to every video in the thread, I came here, and now I feel a big lump in my throat. I can't at this moment give free rein to the pain. We are in full swing at home. Perhaps, when I'm alone, I'll go back through the thread and get in touch with the emotions and feelings that arise from listening. There are also feelings of joy and love. Not only painful emotions arise. There is something stirring in my heart. Thank you and we keep listening to each other!

Thank you Heather for sharing! I really like Caetano Veloso. His voice feels like a caress in my heart. I feel tranquility and a sweet joy when I listen to him.:flowers:
You're very welcome @Stella Marys.

I know what you mean about Veloso's voice.. and there's such longing too in this song.

Actually, the Portuguese, meanwhile, have Fado, a type of song which also has this longing... stories of women who've lost their men at sea... things like that.

Here's a good selection of Fado music:

Back
Top Bottom