John Robison: "Proofs of a Conspiracy" 1798

durabone

Jedi Council Member
As you might remember, I pored over Stanley Deyo’s “Cosmic Conspiracy” and reviewed it here: http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10474.0 Among the references I found there was a book about the history of the “Illuminati” dated 1798. Believing it to be typographical error, I set out to ascertain the facts. Good idea.

Up until three weeks ago, I had was DONE with internet ranklings about the Illuminati. “The Illuminati did this,” “we have proof of Illuminati involvement,” “the Illuminati want to take over the world,” etc. These words had become like an over-worn advertising slogan like - “Lite” - and held about as much appeal for me as wet cheese.

Despite my exposure to these ideas via David Icke in 1997, and his harping on the theme in such detail, I had become downright sick of hearing of mystery degrees above 33rd in freemasonry, the “Bohemian Grove” blah, blah, blah. There is no doubt that there are secret societies exercising their agenda, and no doubt the adherents, adepts, and adjutants of the very order are the ones most controlled by its agenda. Or so goes one mindset.

But in reading Robison’s seminal work, for the first time, I was exposed to some real data concerning the "defunct" organization, it origins, and its make up. I became aware of many historical truths and what I now know to be an extremely important series of events that occurred during the formation of the revolution of the United States 230 years ago. Robison himself is an Accepted Mason, and he has stepped outside of his limits as such in the interest of warning mason and non-mason alike of the dangers which the new and towering Illuminati of his day posed - to all future generations. And despite his well-substantiated and distinctly unorthodox view of events during the days of the formation of America, we today would be hard pressed to find one University lecture in America today even at the graduate level, which breathes life into what is certainly a momentous monograph of epic proportions - one that perhaps might be gratefully forgotten by many today.

The value of Robison’s work as a historical chronicle might be outdone by its worth into as an insight to how narcissism and sociopathy affected a pre-electronic age of feather-pen-driven academia. He offers some decent perspectives on human character, and might have been an interesting participant in some of the threads here on political ponerology and psychopathy. Inasmuch as he was an established scholar and an authority on current events in the late eighteenth century, we might expect some interesting facts to jump from his pages. So, the first point I will make is that you will not be dis-appointed. He is both eloquent and effective at substantiation.

And though it is clear that Robison had to the split hairs of critique to state his case in a way that kept with his academic credibility, one can definitely hear through it all how disgusted he truly is. And although the tine of his tongue is quite incisive enough as-it-is, I cannot help but wonder how much further he could have gone in today’s more liberal academic climate.

Even his restrained portrayal of Adam Weisphaut as a sycophant and sociopath is nevertheless - stunning. And my attempt to relate this and other mysteries from his book must then therefore be done with utmost respect, both to Robison, and to all alive today who follow the traditions set down by folk like Weisphaut and Ramsay so long ago. So since my impressions of this work are now revealed, let me throttle back and try to let the facts speak for themselves.

One of the rules of the order as spelled out by Robison is that members must forgo all personal agenda, and relinquish their lives and wills to the advanced members whose motives remain secret. So whether we simply follow blindly, or whether we term it “Weaving Spiders come not here” we must concede that the ability for Masons and the like to see what is above them (in rank) is not.

And even as the Order ordained its secrets to be the most high, their system military-style rule did not even in Weishaupt’s day vindicate those that stamped out of their minds the ability and right to think for themselves, in order to follow. Naturally it occurs to me as a reader, that it is much easier for parent to convince child of the value and reward for such blind following than it has ever been for educated adults to contract each other the same.

So if you are skull-and-bones, or maybe a recent initiate in the grove, or maybe you are an advancing mason, curious about the ranks to come, YOU, as a reasoning human, must at least be interested enough in history to see that a work of such caliber as Robison’s cannot be safely dismissed because of any words of modern propaganda today. And if you dismiss such a well-researched work because of weak ilk like wikipedia: _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Robison_(physicist)#The_conspiracy_theorist, then that says a lot about you.

The act of submitting to an authority - any authority - does not absolve anyone of personal responsibility for such a decision and all that follows. And when an authority is secretive and known to have manipulated world events to some unclear end, there is all the more reason for the thinking person to investigate matters for themselves. Find Robison’s work here on-line, _http://www.scribd.com/doc/792170/Proofs-of-a-Conspiracy-by-John-Robison and you have few excuses left.

REVIEW

Imagine a world where all men are created equally, therefore treated equally, with freedom and justice for all. Imagine an organization or state which expounds these principles without the righteous trappings of religion. Imagine further that you can be a part of it irrespective of whether you yourself exercise morality, or none at all. Stop worrying! All you selfish, greedy, licentious folk; you can have freedom - from morality, we welcome you. Under the cataleptic cry of brotherly love, we can be all what we want to be. Join us in shaking a stick at evil religion, and we will wipe out their silly superstitions forever.

This is a poorly constructed flavoring of how Robison portrays what Weishaupt created. Like many things that I write, it is a mass of both overstatement and understatement. But it might serve as a segue into the pointed views of Robison. He sets out four chapters in his book:

Schisms in Freemasonry
The Illuminati
The German Union
The French Revolution

He offers a course of expose that begins with establishing the older masonic tradition as present in England circa 1648 with the admission of Ashmole into the Lodge of Warrington. He then chronicles the migration of these traditions into France and Germany. He talks of masonic aspersions of the Jesuits, who undoubtedly served as the conduit between the Catholics and masonry during their evictions from the Lodges. He talks of how the family Stuart took freemasonry with them to the continent of Europe.

In France then we see a rapid evolution of the system from three to as many a fifty degrees in as short a time as four decades. So Robison is revealed as a traditionalist, and we might detect some note of resentment for the new order of Weishaupt. But the author admits as much, and assures us that his glowing historical perspective is necessary to provide a framework for outside readers. Fortunate for us that he did so, because the world of publishing and academic dialogue of 1776 is so foreign to what we know today as to surely be opaque to the many of us like me who are not great students of history. Robison shows how the notion of brotherly love can be used as a smokescreen for many things, such as, censorship vis-avis the German Union, and revolution as in the demise of French Royalty.

I go on in my notes to blow-by-blow and page-by-page, but I think I'll stop this post here.

Cheers

Alllll righty; With that kind of appeal, I bump this up on my list of "Get it dones"

These are all I have in a presentable state:

Page by page:

We find first that the great “Orator Ramsay” spoke of equality on behalf of the Jacobites for all, and that before the unequivocal announcement of Weishaupt’s Illuminati, the Lodges in Europe consisted of both Lords and vassal meeting together, and that:

[page 20] “Free Masonry may be affirmed to have a natural tendency to foster such leveling [economic-wise] wishes; and we cannot doubt but that great liberties are taken with those subjects in the Lodges, especially in countries where the distinctions of rank and fortune are strongly expressed and noticed.”

He is talking here about the rank of royal families, to fortunes of the lords, and therefore the feudal rulers et, al.

The curious thing I found is that Robison points to a general lack of ability for any in masonry at the time to be able to account for its symbols and their origins. He offers that there is much talk in the Lodges by 1743 of “Illumination,” and that:

[page 21] “the Lodges of Freemasonry had become the places for making proselytes to every strange and obnoxious doctrine. Theurgy [Greek ritual], Cosmonogy, Cabala and many whimsical and mythical doctrines which have been grafted onto the distinguishing and the pure morality of the Jews and Christians, were subjects of frequent discussion at the Lodges.”

Here we see a taint more of the author’s bias, but it detracts little from his main thesis about Weishaupt.

We gain confirmation here again that the infamous “Temple” in London (seat of global overthrow according to many, notably Icke) was founded by wealthy Templars. We also hear that Ramsay is an apologist of the Stuart/Jacobite thrust, and that his orations held large sway as regards opening up stodgy, old freemasonry - to a world of new ideas. Strangely enough, when I turn to Ledbetter for confirmation [see Reference 1 below] I find that he confirms Ramsay’s influence, but then adds that the proliferation and wild expansion of masonry into France and Germany was being orchestrated from behind the scenes by the H.O.A.T.F. (Heirpophant of Mysteries), or St. Germain himself!

If we take that Robison establishes a shift towards more liberal thinking in the Lodges of his day, then we must also concede that words similar to his about the evils of the establishment were also parleyed in the Lodges. Of the princes and wealthy he says:

[page 33] “support religion as an engine of state, and a mean of their own security. But they are not contented with its real advantages; and they are much more afraid of the resentment and the crimes of the offended profligate than of the murmurings of the suffering worthy. [!] Therefore they encourage superstition, and call to their aid the vices of the priesthood.” And of these priests he levels a serious allegation:

[page 33] “They are encouraged to the indulgence of the love of influence natural to all men, and they heap terror upon terror, to subdue the minds of men, and darken their understandings. Thus, the most honorable of all employments, the moral instruction of the state, is degraded to a vile trade, and is practised with all the deceit and rapacity of any other trade; and religion, from being the honor and the safeguard of a nation, becomes its greatest disgrace and curse.”

And then some words that may have particular relevance here and now:

[page 33] “When a nation has fallen into this lamentable state, it is extremely difficult to reform. Although nothing would so immediately and so completely remove all ground of complaint, as the re-establishing private virtue, this is of all others the least likely to be adopted. The really worthy, who see the mischief where it really is, but who view this life as a school of improvement, and know that man is to be made perfect through suffering, are the last persons to complain. The worthless are the first to complain...”

Another important fact is that speaking out against the state in the late 18th century was extremely hazardous, and so:

[page 34] “It was in this respect chiefly, that the Mason Lodges contributed to the dissemination of dangerous opinions”

As for the influence of Masonry on the Germans:

[page 37] “Free Masonry, professing mysteries, instantly roused all these people [Germans steeped in their own lore of magic, fortune telling, alchemy, etc.], and the Lodges appeared to the adventurers who wanted to profit by the enthusiasm or the avarice of their dupes, the fittest places in the world for the scene of their operations.”

Robison the describes a decrepit group of Rosicrucians (not the originals) as being the first to co-opt the movement in Germany, re-knitting the Jesuit tradition back into the fold.

Baron Hunde then burst on the scene in 1743 revealing a great secret that:

[page 38] “When the Order of Knights Templar was abolished by Philip the Fair, and cruelly persecuted, some worthy persons escaped, and took refuge in the Highlands of Scotland, where they concealed themselves in caves.”

In 1756, the French freemasons began spreading their “elegant system” of multitudinous ranks as a system in Germany, which in combination of the spirit of inquiry into all things mystery led to an “unhinging of faith” in Germany. What could have been simple exhibition got a rude chundering when one Mr. Stark appeared on the scene and challenged folk in Munich practicing exorcism, ghost-raising, and alchemy openly. [Funny how that name ‘Stark’ appears at most curious places, such as at the betrayal of the Brotherhood of Love in 1970 in Idylwild, and at the crucifixion of Bill Clinton via Monica Lewinsky’s knees]. Stark, according to Robison followed on the heels of Leucht who also claimed charter from the hidden Templars in the caves of Scotland.

Robison portrays the generalized depletion of vision, bylaws, and rules into a quest for all things mystery thus:

[page 52] “Thus it appears, that Germany has experienced the same gradual progress, from Religion to Atheism, from decency to dissoluteness, and from loyalty to rebellion, as has had its course in France. And I must now add, that this progress has been effected in the same manner, and by the same means; and that one of the chief means of seduction has been the Lodges of the Free Masons.”

After building his case that the inrush of Masonry into Germany and France, Robison now turns to the man who took that opening for his own set of ideals - one Adam Weishaupt - and the throroughly recognized organization that he created, “The Illuminati.” Returning to my flavorings earlier, we can see that the notion of a natural society, one free from superstition and tyranny would naturally result in only Brotherly Love:

[page 58] “The engaging pictures of the possible felicity of a society where every office is held by a man of talents and virtue, and where every talent is set in a place fitted for its exertion, forcibly catches the generous and unsuspecting minds of youth”

And so we come across the first of Robison’s repudiations of Weishaupt:

[page 58] “I imagine that it requires the most anxious care of the public teacher to keep the minds of his audience impressed with the reality and importance of the great truths of religion, while he frees them from the shackles of blind and absurd superstition. I fear that this celebrated instructor [Adam Weishaupt] had none of this anxiety, but was satisfied with his great success in the last part of this task, the emancipation of his young hearers form the terrors of superstition. I suppose that this was the more agreeable to him, as it procured him the triumph over the Jesuits, with whom he had long struggled for the direction of the university.”

And the backdrop for such stern incision would be the testimony of four defectors from the Illuminati, the four Doctors who slashed the institution in the public mind. Having read Robison’s work, I must concede that one of the surprises for me is just how intense the circles of academia operated when the only media they had at hand was the printed word.

When Robison use the 3rd person in the following sentence, he speaks of general response to academic writings that he and his colleagues have discussed openly:

[page 60] “It was then discovered that this and several associated Lodges were the nursery or preparation-school for another Order of Masons who call themselves Illuminated, and that the express aim of this Order was to abolish Christianity, and overturn all civil government.”

Another classic passage of Weishaupt’s was widely circulated:

[page 63] “I declare,” says he, “and I challenge all mankind to contradict my declaration, that no man can give any account of the Order of Freemasonry, of its origin, of its history, of its object, nor any explanation of its mysteries and symbols, which does not leave in total uncertainty on all these points.”

Ok, AW, the ‘human condition’ cannot be explained either. But Manly P. Hall might differ with you on origins. AW goes further:

[page 63] “There is no man, nor system, in the world, which can show by undoubted succession that it should stand at the head of the Order.”

So we have fertile ground in the explorations of Lodges in the hands of someone claiming that they have no valid basis or grounds. But Robison is keen to note that the Illuminati decried the wealth and power of the ‘Princes,’ but that they highly valued accural of wealth (without power?) in the hands of their own leaders.

Robison refrains from making mockery when he states:

[page 76] “The Members took antique names. Thus Weishaupt took the name of Spartacus, the man who headed the insurrection of slaves, which in Pompey’s time kept Rome in terror and uproar for three years. Zwack was called Cato. Knigge was Philo. Bassus was Hannibal. Hertel was Marius. Marquis Constanza was Diomedes. Nicholai, an eminent and learned bookseller in Berlin, and author of several works of reputation, took the name of Lucian, the great scoffer of all religion.”

Back
Top Bottom