Journaling

Best thing I've done in my life is write a journal. I have one for my personal life, which haven't done an entry yet, and in this one I insult and do all that venting out, and it works because I sometimes come with cool jokes and catch phrases :lol:

And then I did another for my studies, I did a particular name for it, you can name yours the hocus pocus manual or whatever you'd feel you can call it. Just write your theories or ideas about something, but it's better if you learn how to quote and mention the paragraphs and autors who inspired you, or the ideas that you like. Then from there you can divide it into topics, if for example if someone haven't talked about what you've been researching or trying to piece together, extract those entries and piece it together, and maybe one day that journal becomes a book. Is all about creativity. If for example you are a student of the 4th way, write a journal as if you were working on the field, trying to put together all those phenomena Gurdjieff or Mouravieff or whoever talks about, you are on the field hunting for clues and all that, observing patterns, taking notes of them.

So in in total you may do a 1) personal journal 2) serious journal

It doesn't matter if for example you write about something someone haven't talked about, you keep it to yourself, because it works as a way for you to explain things to you, and to explain it in a way that you can come back and review it. If you write about yourself, then you come back and read about yourself and your life, then make a diagram about Luke, trying to define what Luke is piece by piece, how you react, and so on and so on. You can play with it.

Put a date and then the tittle of the entry.

like 04/08/2015 - Dear dairy... etc etc

There's usually a struggle in doing anything new, or restarting things that have been put off for that matter. Sometimes the fears holding us back are issues to dig into and sometimes they might be narratives where we think of something as a block. But our thinking about blocks might not be accurate. I think sometimes you just have to build some inertia, and you are doing that by diving right in. There doesn't need to be an amazing revelation every time you write. Some days will flow great and others wont feel like you're producing anything of value. But it seems that it is the consistent practice that allows for creative moments to be realized.

I agree with aleana that writing about things makes things more concrete. There's a stronger confirmation or a commitment of some kind when we write things down. Maybe it sends a stronger signal to ourselves and the universe, and sometimes that signal is just the extra push we need to pull ourselves up from our bootstraps and get through a particular problem or situation.

I also agree that it is worth doing the Pennebaker exercises. Re-framing our programs and exploring the meaning in them can be a valuable way to 'de-clutter' as you put it.

Hello Luke, I have found it useful in life to remind myself that my brain consists if two halves, each of which functions slightly differently and processes different things.
Your eyes see one thing, your ears hear another, and your hand writes another.
In writing you can get the two halves of the brain to communicate to each other, especially if you pronounce the words as you write them.
Just as a musician can read the music, play the tune, and read and sing the words (Hi goyacobol!)
Many parts of the brain can be trained to work together, in unison even.
Who knows, this might increase your FRV..

luke wilson said:
I dived straight into it and wrote my first bit...

I have to say I just started to write and what came out was not what made me start this thread or what I thought was weighing on me but other things that have sort of been lingering in the background. There were certain aspects that I tried not to write about as if I were hiding them from me... yet deep down I know what they are! Yet I don't want to write it down in a way that is there, in plain sight... Like as if doing so will burst a bubble I have built for myself... it's actually sort of worrying...

This is interesting... certain things.... I hide from myself... well I don't hide them from myself because I know what they are in thought... but I nonetheless refuse to acknowledge them... Hmmm... Got what I'll journal about tomorrow!

Heimdallr said:
And if you find it a struggle, you can always try the Pennebaker exercises that riclapaz mentioned: http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/Faculty/Pennebaker/Home2000/WritingandHealth.html

Well its great that you keep pushing through to continue to journal luke wilson. Them things that are trying to stay out of the light, need to be shown it. Say to yourself; no one will see this but me. And once you have written it, you can do a number of things that were reccomended in Heimdallr's link about:
''Burn them. Erase them. Shred them. Flush them. Tear them into little pieces and toss them into the ocean or let the wind take them away. Eat them (not recommended).''

Somethings may just need to be gotten out so you can see them a little more objectively with more compassion. While some things may lead you to further look into it, leading you to journal about them directly.

It is a struggle, ive experienced a feeling of narcissism when journaling, because i am just writing about myself, like its all ME ME ME. But that just seemed like a barrier that needs to be pushed through, its a natural response OSIT.
Previously i have journaled along side writing about what i have been reading, and how i can relate it to myself... What i understand and feel when something resonates in a book with me.

3 days in and this looks like a nice exercise. It definitely helped me process some of the stuff I had plus I had really good sleeps in the last few nights just after journalling.

Back
Top Bottom