Just cooking

monotonic

The Living Force
Today I achieved a major milestone in basic cooking proficiency. I successfully seared and fried 4 hamburger patties, which will feed me for the next 2 days. I turned the burner on max until it was hot enough to make water droplets float and then added some tallow, and added the hamburger. This is sort of preparation since I want to try searing a frozen steak. In the past all our homemade steaks have turned into barely-edible bland shrunken hockey pucks, and I am hoping this is the solution to that problem.

I am not learning to be a cook, just learning how to cook so that I can always eat when there's something in the fridge. This may seem to be easy or trivial, but when you've never cooked for yourself, your mother is not as good a cook as she thinks, and you're on a diet that is incompatible with 99% of the recipes out there - including your family recipes - it becomes a real problem!

So I would like this to be a thread about basic cooking skills, like searing, roasting, broiling, crockery, anything you can do to make a good ketogenic meal without worrying about whether you'll be able to eat the result or not.

One thing I find interesting is that ingredients are tools as much as the mixer, blender, spatula and pan. That's pretty obvious when you consider that the Fat Bomb Custard can't possibly work without egg yolks. Well, it follows then that any tricks you can do using certain foods, for instance making a fatty sauce out of avocado, or making a gravy to deglaze a pan, would be very useful to know.

The end goal of "learning cooking" is essentially to always have a path, a next step towards making or finishing a meal, so that you don't hesitate, not knowing what to do next, and so when all that's left in your freezer is a liver and a 12-pound roast, you won't be all thumbs in the kitchen for 5 hours while you scramble about and zip between the internet and stovetop to find a solution.

So if you're one of those who can throw yourself into the kitchen and come out less than an hour later with tender, juicy pork chops and no regrets, your input is needed! And if you're like me - ask questions!

When it comes to cooking meat, I've found that the meat itself has a lot to do with how high a heat to use (like how big the pieces are, how fatty, etc.). Takes a bit of adjusting to get things just about perfect - also whether I'm barbequing with wood or charcoal, or cooking it in the oven, etc. I like to cook on the highest heat and least time to as to have it come out still juicy and tender while having the fat golden brown and getting crispy (exposing the fat to the hottest part of the heat the longest helps). But it's up to individual preferences too.

Pork burgers are the easiest to cook, although when very fatty, they do shrink a lot if cooked too long, so that's something to get used to. And for liver, I cook it on high heat too, with plenty of butter and very fast - like 3 minutes on each side sizzling and it's done. Helps if it's a really good piece of liver with not much "veins" to come out really tender and juicy. Just some thoughts....

In order to get tender meat I use a very simple method. I precook it in a steam cooker for 2-4 hours. I heat the cooker 2-3 times, then let it cool a bit for about one hour. Then the meat is very tender and can be fried or roasted within minutes.

It seems to be the perfect method for preparing pork knuckles as the skin gets thinner and can be easily cut after roasting.

One problem I always run into is the logistics of thawing meat. For instance, it would be nice to have bacon available constantly, to put with eggs or wrap around a meatball. BUT, I'm always afraid I'm going to thaw it and it will spoil before it's all eaten. Yet, everyone else seems to have no problem having thawed raw meat available whenever. Generally when we make bacon we thaw it and immediately fry it all up.

monotonic said:
One problem I always run into is the logistics of thawing meat. For instance, it would be nice to have bacon available constantly, to put with eggs or wrap around a meatball. BUT, I'm always afraid I'm going to thaw it and it will spoil before it's all eaten. Yet, everyone else seems to have no problem having thawed raw meat available whenever. Generally when we make bacon we thaw it and immediately fry it all up.
A way to get around that is to make smaller portions of the meat when you first bring it home. Put it in freezer bags and then place them in the freezer. You can then defrost those as needed.

Regarding cooking in general, a slow cooker may be a good idea for having broths and stews already made for the week. Once it's cooked, you can store it in the fridge in glass containers and then just heat the portions you want.

Last, one thing to know about cooking is that as with everything, there will probably be mistakes when first trying out new recipes until you get more proficient at it. Taking a curious attitude about what certain ingredients do can help with finding suitable replacements. For example, egg yolks emulsify. That means they help to combine two ingredients that don't normally mix together like oil (fats) and water. Sunflower lecithin, I believe, acts the same way and may be a good substitution if you're allergic to eggs for fat bombs. I have yet to try this but am thinking about it.

You can also go a simpler route and just add fat directly to the broth or eat it alongside the meat you've cooked.

How are you getting fats in?

I just cook some meat and eat cold tallow with every bite, and so far that works well enough. I've given up trying to find ways to mix fat into the rest of the meal. Very seldom we will get a good grassfed roast with an enormous fat cap that I can put in the pressure cooker and the taste is great. The fat changes quite a bit after it's separated from the meat.

I've used slow cookers and pressure cookers many times with very good results, but only with a combination of the standard stew spices, so they all taste basically the same. I started with the slow cooker, got tired of that, moved to the pressure cooker, stopped using the aluminum pressure cooker, then got tired of the slow cooker again, then moved on to the toaster oven. Got tired of that, so now my latest thing is to try and sear my meat with my cast iron. I notice my family has this eerie ingrained fear thing coming from my mother's side that tends to prevent any adventures or new skills. It's the "don't turn the burner on high or the house will burn down" kind of thing.

Now that I think about it I would like to make another pressure cooker roast, but I had to send our pressure cooker back because the safety valve was aluminum and began to corrode instantly (Presto Deluxe 6qt). So I have nothing left but the ancient Presto 4qt aluminum pressure cooker, which I will not use. I'm reluctant to get the spring regulator models because I can't know whether the mechanisms are aluminum or not.

As a lover of all grilled meats, my first suggestion is to buy a grill and start cooking meat with it. It saves on cleanup and the flavor is quite good.

That is a good idea. In fact I always wanted to try something like that. It's the reason I made my rocket grill out of cinder blocks. It was a bit finicky and hard to control. With grilling I've generally had the problem of the meat drying out and becoming hard before it's done. We don't have a gas grill, so it takes ages for us to gather wood and light it. However a closed grill would be useful for reconditioning our cast iron pans.

My brother just brought back an enormous pile of bones and tallow from our grassfed meat source!

There's just too much of it to fit in the freezer, and we've filled both our stock pots. Here I really wish we had a really large pressure cooker. Well, we do have a 7-jar canner, but it's aluminum, otherwise it would be perfect..

So now begins the panic. We all want to cook and eat this stuff but despite our deeply ingrained sense of family competence, we have no idea what to do with this stuff besides simmer it with some onions or something.

So, advice?

EDIT: the bones are covered in tallow, maybe I should remove the tallow and render it separately?

monotonic said:
My brother just brought back an enormous pile of bones and tallow from our grassfed meat source!

There's just too much of it to fit in the freezer, and we've filled both our stock pots. Here I really wish we had a really large pressure cooker. Well, we do have a 7-jar canner, but it's aluminum, otherwise it would be perfect..

So now begins the panic. We all want to cook and eat this stuff but despite our deeply ingrained sense of family competence, we have no idea what to do with this stuff besides simmer it with some onions or something.

So, advice?

EDIT: the bones are covered in tallow, maybe I should remove the tallow and render it separately?

Since you have a canner I'd suggest cubing the extra lard and canning it. Pack them in as tight as you can but don't overfill. It will render while cooking in the canner. You'll have the remaining cracklings mixed in with the fat but it's not really a big deal. You can strain them out when the can is opened for use.

The tallow is pretty well bound up in the gelatin, so we will just skim it from the top later if there's a lot of it.

We're simmering them in a stock pot for 12 hours. I added some some fresh rosemary and parsley along with pepper and other spices, 2 onions, garlic, 2 carrots and a tablespoon of brine from some lactofermented watermelon rhind, which should be full of tasty acids to work on the bones. It smells good, so maybe it will be different from our last attempt at bone broth where it came out tasting like nothing more than chalk water.

Back
Top Bottom