Kamut

Adaryn

The Living Force
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16438.msg141373#msg141373

Q: (Perceval) Is kamut okay for us to eat? It's like "old wheat".

A: Yes. When in Rome...

Kamut contains gluten, but apparently the C's say it's OK to eat it. I was wondering if we could have more information, like what makes it OK to eat it, despite the fact that it contains gluten? Maybe the same question could apply to Einkorn, which is also an old wheat containing only 7% gluten.

Lúthien said:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=16438.msg141373#msg141373

Q: (Perceval) Is kamut okay for us to eat? It's like "old wheat".

A: Yes. When in Rome...

Kamut contains gluten, but apparently the C's say it's OK to eat it. I was wondering if we could have more information, like what makes it OK to eat it, despite the fact that it contains gluten? Maybe the same question could apply to Einkorn, which is also an old wheat containing only 7% gluten.

And what about spelt which is an old wheat too :huh:

Added:

What is Spelt?

Spelt is ancient grain that has been grown by farmers for thousands of years. It belongs to the wheat family, but it is a completely different species than modern day wheat. Spelt has a very unique "nutty" flavor and is a highly nutritious alternative to traditional wheat grain. Some people who have allergic reactions to traditional wheat grain can tolerate spelt grain, however many people who have violent reactions to wheat will not be able to eat spelt grain. It is vitally important that you check with your doctor before trying spelt grain if you are allergic to wheat.

Does spelt have gluten?

Yes, spelt grain has its own form of gluten. This spelt gluten is somewhat different from wheat gluten and thus some people with allergies to wheat gluten are able to digest spelt flour without any problems. However it is vital that you check with your doctor before trying spelt grains if you are allergic to wheat grains.

I think that the important thing is to test it with an elimination diet like the Ultra Simple diet. I know I can't tolerate spelt, not even the millet we had the other day... So I'm not holding my breath with the kamut.

Psyche said:
I think that the important thing is to test it with an elimination diet like the Ultra Simple diet. I know I can't tolerate spelt, not even the millet we had the other day... So I'm not holding my breath with the kamut.

I'm interested in the Kamut, I think I'm one of the very few people who can't tolerate Buckwheat. It gives me the most awful upset tummy. I ate the date and buckwheat cake that was so lovely that Laura made and I had a terrible tummy.

I've more or less given up on any flour based recipe's. I am Gluten-free though so the thought of eating gluten again seems to go against the grain :) excuse the pun.

I'm might try it once and see what happens. I'd be interested to hear other peoples experience as well.

slowone said:
I'm interested in the Kamut, I think I'm one of the very few people who can't tolerate Buckwheat. It gives me the most awful upset tummy. I ate the date and buckwheat cake that was so lovely that Laura made and I had a terrible tummy.

I've more or less given up on any flour based recipe's. I am Gluten-free though so the thought of eating gluten again seems to go against the grain :) excuse the pun.

I'm might try it once and see what happens. I'd be interested to hear other peoples experience as well.

I also had a bad experience after eating the buckwheat date bread -- a two day headache and constipation. I'm suspecting that flour products don't sit well with me either. I did a little self-testing on other flour products at the store and they were a no-go. I think I do best with just meat, veg, fruit and nuts. The thought of never having a cookie or cake that won't insult my innards makes me a bit sad. :(

Odyssey said:
I also had a bad experience after eating the buckwheat date bread -- a two day headache and constipation. I'm suspecting that flour products don't sit well with me either. I did a little self-testing on other flour products at the store and they were a no-go. I think I do best with just meat, veg, fruit and nuts. The thought of never having a cookie or cake that won't insult my innards makes me a bit sad. :(

Have you tried rice flour?

Lúthien said:
Odyssey said:

Or quinoa ?

Laurentien said:
Lúthien said:
Odyssey said:

Or quinoa ?

I'm going to retry quinoa. When I ate it before my diet wasn't as good as it is now so I'll have to retry it to figure out it's effect on me. I don't do well with whole brown rice so rice flour would be out as well. I see some experimenting with the ultra simple diet and flour products in my future.

Odyssey said:
Laurentien said:
Lúthien said:
Odyssey said:

Or quinoa ?

I'm going to retry quinoa. When I ate it before my diet wasn't as good as it is now so I'll have to retry it to figure out it's effect on me. I don't do well with whole brown rice so rice flour would be out as well. I see some experimenting with the ultra simple diet and flour products in my future.

Odyssey, I know how you feel. I'm allergic to nightshades as well so no Potatoes or Tobacco for me :cry: If you can tolerate nuts I managed some good recipes with ground almonds. Although having said that I'm cautious with it as I don't want to create an allergy by over using nuts. I also thought I'd experiment with Coconut flour or Tapioca. Would any of these be good for you?

Odyssey said:

Yeah. You may be able to tolerate some flours.

Check this list for example:
_http://www.barryfarm.com/flours.htm
There a all kinds of different flours! You may be able to tolerate the ones that don't come from grains, but legumes or nuts (to be tested).

The is life after gluten!

Here's a bit from an article on celiac.com

http://www.celiac.com/articles/185/1/Gluten-Free-Grains-in-Relation-to-Celiac-Disease---by-Donald-D-Kasarda-Former-Research-Chemist-for-the-United-States-Department-of-Agriculture/Page1.html

There have been anecdotal reports suggesting a lack of toxicity in celiac disease for spelta and Kamut, along with anecdotal reports of the opposite, at least in the case of spelt-celiac patients who have been harmed by eating it. Controlled tests would be necessary to draw a firm conclusion, although they hardly seem necessary insofar as spelt and Kamut should be considered forms of wheat.

The diagnosis, sometimes self-diagnosis, of celiac disease is occasionally made without benefit of reasonably rigorous medical or clinical tests, especially intestinal biopsy. Individuals who are diagnosed in this way without rigorous testing may not actually have celiac disease. Claims that particular foods cause this latter group no problems in relation to their celiac disease could cause confusion.

Furthermore, celiac patients who report no problems in the short run with spelt or Kamut might experience relapse later. There is now adequate evidence that when celiac patients on a gluten-free diet (that is, a diet free of any proteins or peptides from wheat, rye, and barley) have wheat reintroduced to their diets, times-to-relapse vary enormously among individuals, ranging from hours to months, or even years. And this is for wheat, presumably the most toxic of all cereal grains to celiac patients.

I had some puffed kamut cereal last week. It was really good and large in size so it made for a nice cereal. I didn't notice anything immediately after eating it, but two days after I was really tired and fatigued at work. This kind of progressed through the end of the week, and now this weekend I seem to be fine. I didn't change much this week so I'd say it would have had to have been the gluten. I've heard that cooked kamut grains have a buttery taste, maybe I can test it when I start the ultra simple diet.

Back
Top Bottom