KetoCrotch funded by WeightWatchers?

sbeaudry

Jedi Council Member
A few weeks ago I read an article on mercola.com about weight watchers stock plummeting due to the ketogenic diet. And then I read the keto crotch article on sott.net. Did Weight Watchers create this fake news as a marketing ploy?
Story at-a-glance
  • “Keto crotch” is fake news on steroids. It’s based on a handful of anecdotes from old reddit discussion boards. There is no medical evidence to suggest nutritional ketosis can cause offensive vaginal odors
  • The same day CNN reported Weight Watchers had lost 80 percent of its stock value since July 2018 due to people switching to a ketogenic diet, articles warning of “keto crotch” exploded on the internet
  • Sugar and net carbs are primary drivers of yeast infections, vaginosis, bladder infections and similar ailments, and women who struggle with these conditions who switch to a low-carb diet typically notice significant improvement
  • Ketones mimic the life span-extending properties of fasting, which includes improved glucose metabolism, reduced inflammation, clearing out malfunctioning immune cells, and upregulating autophagy and mitophagy in your mitochondria
  • Diabetic ketoacidosis — which causes bad breath — has nothing to do with nutritional ketosis achieved through a ketogenic diet
Where Did Keto Crotch Story Come From?
Considering the complete lack of scientific evidence to support claims that nutritional ketosis can cause vaginal infections, one has to wonder where this story originated from. After all, some arbitrary anecdote simply won't spread like wildfire for no reason, being picked up by major media simultaneously. Yet here are dozens of near-identical stories being featured in different magazines and news outlets on the same day.

Two individuals have stepped forward with an answer. In the video above, Berry explains how, when browsing through several women's magazines in a bookstore that carried the keto crotch story, he noted a curious pattern. Each of them had full-page ads for Weight Watchers, whose stock prices, incidentally, have plummeted by 80 percent since July 2018 — a drop attributed by Weight Watchers to the mass adoption of the ketogenic diet.27 In his video commentary, Berry says:

"Rest assured … we see less and less things that could give you changes in odorous discharge when you eat keto. You don't get more of that, you get much, much less …
So, I think keto crotch is just the latest myth [pushed by] the big publishing houses who get a lot of their ad dollars from Weight Watchers and Biggest Loser and Jenny Craig. They would love for you to stop eating keto …
f they can scare you with the latest scare tactic, which is 'keto crotch,' then they're successful and they're going to get more ad dollars from the big, carbohydrate pushing weight loss programs."

John Zahorik, a self-described "nutrition explorer,"28 has taken his investigation a step further. In a series of Twitter posts (this thread reader29 offers the easiest to read view), Zahorik shows the links between Weight Watchers, its PR company Edelman,30 some of the primary health experts interviewed about keto crotch, as well as some of the authors of these nonsense articles, Shireen Khalil31 among them.
'Keto Crotch' — A Secret Weight Watcher's PR Stunt?

September, 2018, PR Week announced "Weight Watchers turns to Edelman to handle global consumer PR."32 According to PR Week, "Weight Watchers wants to strengthen its reputation, better define and grow 'the Weight Watchers impact,' and increase revenue to more than $2 billion by the end of 2020 …" Other clients of Edelman include pasta giant Barilla,33 and The Coca-Cola Company.34

According to screenshots taken by Zahorik, Khalil, Streicher and DeFazio are all Edelman PR followers on Twitter.35 While that certainly doesn't prove they're working together, it suggests collaboration is a possibility. He also reminds people about the reality that is "native advertising" — marketing designed to look like news.36 As reported by Conently.com in 2015:37

"Native advertising — articles paid for and/or written by a brand that live on a publisher's site — has emerged as a powerful and popular new advertising tool over the past few years.
Media companies like BuzzFeed, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Atlantic have all invested heavily in the creation and distribution of native advertisements on behalf of brands, with many charging over $100,000 for a native advertising campaign."

Indeed, PR companies not only create recognizable ads and native advertising (ads not recognized as such), they also do news placement on behalf of their clients. In many cases, such news stories will feature actual science that happens to benefit the client's position.

In this case, however, the "news" is anything but. It's pure fabrication, and appears to be aimed at implanting a highly memorable mnemonic device38 into the public consciousness. After seeing the term "keto crotch" hundreds of times, you'd be hard-pressed to not instantaneously think of a stinky crotch every time you hear "ketogenic diet."

Already, people have made comments on social media saying the mere possibility of this malodorous condition has dissuaded them from going keto, and there's little doubt this is the exact aim of this fake news campaign.

Zahorik points out the Edelman firm is in fact a master at creating these kinds of viral campaigns, a key part of which is "Leveraging top-tier influencers to integrate a brand's key messaging directly into the content target audiences are consuming" (per tweet from Edelman39).

"The thing that made this campaign different from typical 'branding' efforts is that this was a SECRET effort to DESTROY the brand of the COMPETITION," Zahorik writes.40 "What was the source of this alliterative affliction in these 'articles'? Answer: People on the internet were talking!"
Big Business Is Clearly Afraid of Keto Success

While the evidence implicating Edelman and Weight Watchers in the creation of this "keto crotch" myth is still circumstantial, the timing sure seems suspiciously convenient. The very same day the keto crotch myth exploded on the internet (February 28), CNN Business reported on Weight Watchers' financial demise, stating:41

"CEO Mindy Grossman attributed the problem to the keto diet, a popular eating regimen that makes bread and other carbs taboo. She said during a call with analysts … that keto is 'becoming a cultural meme' and she even called it a 'keto surge.'"
Let's face it, the media is owned by industry, and leveraging of social media influencers can make fake news and unsubstantiated claims like this spread like wildfire. While there's no evidence to support this obnoxious story, there's an incredible amount of published literature showing the health benefits of a ketogenic diet.

For example, ketones have a biological impact similar to that of fasting,42 including accelerated autophagy and mitophagy, improved glucose metabolism, reduced inflammation, clearing out malfunctioning immune cells,43 and reduced IGF-1 (one of the factors that regulate growth pathways and growth genes and is a major player in accelerated aging and cellular/intracellular regeneration and rejuvenation).

Did Weight Watchers create this fake news as a marketing ploy?

It's pretty much what it looks like. You might want to check out this Twitter thread (it's referenced in the article), where John Zahorik totally demolishes Keto Crotch.

We'll be soon posting our next show on Objective:Health where we cover Keto Crotch and dig into some of that. ;-)

And if you haven't seen it:

Last edited:
It's pretty much what it looks like. You might want to check out this Twitter thread (it's referenced in the article), where John Zahorik totally demolishes Keto Crotch.

We'll be soon posting our next show on Objective:Health where we cover Keto Crotch and dig into some of that. ;-)

And if you haven't seen it:

I have seen it, which is why I mentioned it in the post. It's a good article. I guess, what I found most interesting in the Mercola article is the link between Weight Watchers and so-called "keto crotch," which is an important link, I think, to debunk the lie. It is also mentioned in the Sott article and maybe it's reduntant to post it again. Thanks for the reply. :-)

Edited for clarity

I nearly fell off my chair when I originally read Doug's article on SOTT.

The whole KC thing is the definition of the word "desperate".

It's also a fabulous indicator of our modern, increasingly nutzoid age where anything goes...
🌋

Doug’s article was brilliant, the whole notion had me chuckling. Desperate times call for desperate PR tactics indeed. The irony is that Weight Watchers itself is losing weight, except in all the wrong places (i.e. their stock price & bank balance) :D

Back
Top Bottom