knowledge and being

Be Like Water

Padawan Learner
ISOTM
chapter 4
p64

"There are," he said, "two lines along which mans developmentproceeds, the line of knowledge and the line of being. In right evolution the line of knowledge and the line of being develop simultaneously, parallel to, and helping one another. But if the line of knowledge gets to far ahead of the line of being, or if the line of being gets ahead of the line of knowledge, man's development goes wrong, and sooner or later it must come to a standstill."

p66

"Generally speaking, the balance between knowledge and being is even more important than a separate development of either one or the other. And a separate development of knowledge or of being is not desirable in any way. Although it is usually this one-sided development that seems particularly attractive to people.
"If knowledge outweighs being a man knows but has no power to do. It is useless knowledge. On the other hand if being outweighs knowledge a man has the power to do, but does not know, that is, he can do something but does not know what to do. The being he has acquired becomes aimless and efforts made to attain it become useless.
"In the history of humanity there are known many examples when entire civilizations have perished because knowledge outweighed being or being outweighed knowledge."

Lately I have been thinking that my knowledge is to far ahead of my being, that is, I have not enough power to DO. I find myself reading about subjects of no use today rather than attend to issues of being. What I am observing in myself is that I am starting to get fatigued a lot sooner while reading, finding it harder to concentrate, and a lot of things in my emotional/physical life are becoming more pronounced.

So, I need to work on my being more.

Hi there mechanimated!

Yes, that's an important realisation. The lone fact of acquiring knowledge isn't enough, it would be just like buying constructional materials and not using them to build a house. You can then realise that you had the materials but you didn't use them to secure your living. IMO that's why G would call it useless knowledge.

mechanimated said:
Lately I have been thinking that my knowledge is to far ahead of my being, that is, I have not enough power to DO.

I think that even a lot of members struggle with the fact that they don't DO enough. I'm one of them. That's why the cleansing of our own machine is so urgent. Our buffers, false believes , fears and promiscuity act like a STOP signs, that's why they need to be dealt with in order to extend our ability to DO. It can be done step by step and don't worry, you're not alone in this.

mechanimated said:
What I am observing in myself is that I am starting to get fatigued a lot sooner while reading, finding it harder to concentrate, and a lot of things in my emotional/physical life are becoming more pronounced.

Maybe it's also caused by other factors? I mean maybe you push yourself too much or something in your life pressures you too much?
A little food for thought :)

One thing that can be done is the breathing/meditation program Eiriu-Eolas. It is meant (among other things) to help working through the internally suffocating sludge of old emotional garbage that is bottled up in pretty much all of us and which keeps what Being we have from working efficiently and from having the chance to grow and develop as well as it can.

Csayeursost said:
One thing that can be done is the breathing/meditation program Eiriu-Eolas. It is meant (among other things) to help working through the internally suffocating sludge of old emotional garbage that is bottled up in pretty much all of us and which keeps what Being we have from working efficiently and from having the chance to grow and develop as well as it can.

I would second that and also add that if you haven't read the recommended psychology books on Narcissism, that would be a great compliment to the EE Breathing/meditation program.

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=4718.0

mechanimated said:
Lately I have been thinking that my knowledge is to far ahead of my being, that is, I have not enough power to DO. I find myself reading about subjects of no use today rather than attend to issues of being. What I am observing in myself is that I am starting to get fatigued a lot sooner while reading, finding it harder to concentrate, and a lot of things in my emotional/physical life are becoming more pronounced.

Yeah, this observation/realization is a hard one to bear. But for modern people, it is very common that his/her Knowledge >(is ahead of) his/her Being as well as his/her Personality >(is stronger than) his/her Essence.

Some 'connections' occurred to the following parts of recent Cs sessions:

from Session 15 August 2009:
Q: (A***l) I have a question. They talked about genetics making it so that people can't receive things. Is there something that people can do that would help change their genetics in some way that would help them become more receptive?

A: You can't change, but you can activate it if it is latent.

Q: (L) In other words, a lot of people have a lot of genetics going on that they aren't using. (Allen) And those genetics can be activated. (A***l) So how do you activate it?

A: Effort counts for a lot. And effort can lead to knowledge which does what?

Q: (Joe) Protects!

from Session 30 August 2009:
Q: (Ark) This I can accept. (L) See how stubborn he is? Unbelievable! (A***) Makes me look bad, man! I can't even be that stubborn. (A***n) So can I ask one question? So, eventually before too long I'm going to have to get back to the states to take care of business. Any particular dangers I have to be worried about, or just general vigilance? (Joe) Airplanes.

A: A bit more than "general" vigilance.

Q: (A***n) So, would I have to have my eyes peeled be an understatement, or...?

A: Very vigilant. Remember you will be walking into a frequency fence that may be hard to leave.

Q: (A***n) So, hard to leave because of the affect it will have on me, or hard to leave because they give me hassles about getting back out of the states?

A: Both.

Q: (A***n) So is there anything I can do in terms of the hassles they might give me to sort of mitigate that? Or what sort of things should I expect?

A: Knowledge protects only if applied.

Q: (A***n) I'm not sure I follow. Is it knowledge I have that I'm not applying?

A: Somewhat.

Q: (A***n) So any hints about what knowledge that I should be applying?

A: That you would be walking into such a condition.

Q: (A***n) Right. So, I'm taking it too lightly about going back there, and not really paying attention to how much it could affect me by being back there. Is that it?

A: Pretty much.

This Cs answer indicates just having Knowledge does not count but one needs to 'apply' them in each specific daily situation, which requires 'efforts' that count. Only then, I think, Knowledge can permeate into one's whole Being to change its level (that even includes 'genetics activation', it seems).

Nem said:
mechanimated said:
What I am observing in myself is that I am starting to get fatigued a lot sooner while reading, finding it harder to concentrate, and a lot of things in my emotional/physical life are becoming more pronounced.

Maybe it's also caused by other factors? I mean maybe you push yourself too much or something in your life pressures you too much?
A little food for thought :)

I sensed the same as Nem.
I would suggest to try the breathing/meditation program Eiriu-Eolas as Csayeursost and RyanX suggested also. Have you tried that already? ;)

Hello mechanimated! Have you check the health and diet forum, you may not realize it but eating healthy food is a sure way to gain energy for the body. You will be surprise all the junk we eat with out realizing it, all the toxin that get in our body trough the food that we eat.

mechanimated said:

Hi mechanimated, I recalled a quote from Margaret Anderson in “The Unknowable Gurdjieff” on the thread, “Soul Potentiality in Adamic Man”, here that speaks of being. The quote helped me understand being, and how to strengthen and grow being by conscious suffering. I love the prayer, "I wish the result of this suffering to become my own, for Being". I have used it many times when the Way seems hard and useless.

I have spent a lifetime studying the map, but it came to nothing until I began to struggle to do the simplest things. The breathing and meditation work are an example. I would rather read about breathing and meditation than do it; but I have run out of time, and must go on, as I promised the Wolf he could die with the boots on, if he would guard the sheep.

Margaret Anderson said:
On another day -- in 1936, I think -- we were all lunching with Gurdjieff in his Paris flat. I had been feeling hopeless about ever being strong enough to do the inner work that he demanded.
He had asked one of the pupils to give up smoking for a while and to turn her longing for a cigarette into what he called an 'intentional contact' between the ordinary world and a higher world. I felt that his words were especially offered to meet my need, and I quote them -- with slight paraphrasings to make his meaning clear:
Gurdjieff said:
'I will tell you one thing that will make you rich for life. There are two struggles -- an Inner-world struggle and an Outer-world struggle. But these two worlds can never make contact with each other, to make data for Third World; even God cannot give the possibility for contact between Inner-world and Outer-world struggle; neither can your heredity give it.
'Only one thing can give it: you must make an intentional contact between the two worlds; then you can make data which crystallize for the Third World of man, called by the ancients the World of the Soul.
'I can give you a small example which will perhaps give you the "taste" of this intentional contact. You, for example, when you give up cigarettes. You have an Outer-world struggle (not to buy, not to take, but remember always to break habit); and you have an Inner-world struggle (you imagine how it was when you could smoke -- you imagine it in a different way, more keen, and with more longing); and it will seem (with this Inner-world imagining) even more desirable than it had ever been. You will have made this cigarette an Intentional Contact between the two struggles, and even by this small effort you will have made data for the Third World.
'This can be a thing for power. I will tell you one very important thing to say, each time when the longing to smoke comes. You say it the first time, and maybe notice nothing. You say it a second time, and maybe nothing. Say it a third time, and perhaps something will happen. Say: "I wish the result of this suffering to become my own, for Being". Yes, you can call that kind of wishing suffering, because it is suffering.

'This saying can maybe take force from your animal and give it to Being. And you can do this for many things -- for any denial of something that is a slavery. A force such as this has special results, special emanations.
'Man is man -- he can never be another thing. But he can make his body work for another part of him -- his mind. If it is easy to subdue the body, then the exercise is no good. If the body will lie down at once, nothing happens. The greater weakness the body has, the more labour it does, the more it can give to the mind, and to Being.

Oh yes, say the Christians, this is exactly what we do. We resist temptation, we renounce, we become better human beings.
This is not true.
It is true that they often do renounce, or try to renounce, or think that they have renounced. Then they forget that they have renounced, they feel remorseful, and they begin all over again to renounce. In every case they remain exactly the same kind of people they were in the beginning. The only results they achieve are that, at intervals, they behave more kindly towards other people; or they become more intolerant and cruel towards them (the stake for dissenters).
Some people become fanatical renouncers. And, since the exercise of will (so-called) produces strength in anyone, they sometimes become very strong people -- strong enough to make a great impact upon others; strong enough to kill them.
All this will and effort is haphazard, none of it has any relation to a conscious self-directed activity for a conscious aim. The Gurdjieff technique for this development is a unique activity, and it has not been presented in any literature, science or teaching in the way it was presented by him.

The great science of transformation -- the birth of the soul, that conscious 'second birth' which parallels automatic (physical) birth and for which Gurdjieff had such a marvellous phrase: 'the arising of the presence of man' ... this transformation demands years of study and practice for its incorporation. 'Past joys', he said, 'are as useless to man in the present as the snows of last year which leave no trace by which one can remember what they were. Only the imprints of conscious labour and intentional suffering are Real, and can be used for obtaining good.'
This good comes to you step by step, in great 'discoveries' -- for instance, like the one that teaches you why anger is so often an expression of self-love. I shall never forget the day when I first 'learned' this truth. I had spent a week of frenzied anger and rebellion over everything Gurdjieff was asking me to do. The conscious labour was too difficult, the voluntary suffering too unendurable, too impossible, too unreasonable. And then, in one lighted moment, I had a picture of myself, my state, and its cause. I rushed to the rue des Colonels Renard and said, 'Mr. Gurdjieff, I see now that it was because of my vanity and self-love that I was so angry.'
He didn't speak for a moment, then he smiled at me. 'You not know?' he said.
'No,' I said, 'I hadn't the faintest idea.'
Never, never, shall I forget the way he smiled, or the intonation he put into those three words. Never shall I fail to remember them as I watch myself making other discoveries that will take me as long a time; and never shall I fail to find comfort in six other words of his: 'He who goes slow goes far.' [...]

When you have finally grasped the meaning of transformation and realized how false your picture of yourself has been, when you have discovered the kind of person you really are, and heard (as Maurice Nicoll says) the little song you've been singing all your life... this is the moment when you can say that you've begun at the beginning. You will never be entirely your old self again -- that is, you will know forever that that is what you were, and are, and will be over and over, but with this difference: the hair's-breadth difference that you now know it, and can never forget it, and therefore you will stop short of feeling, or showing, the intolerance you have always felt; you will begin to behave towards others as you would like them to behave towards you -- the difference being that you will now know how they want you to behave, and you will know how to help them behave well towards you. You will see that you are they and they are you, and that if everyone could experience this searing revelation the idea of war would never have arisen.

Nem said:
Hi there mechanimated!

Yes, that's an important realisation. The lone fact of acquiring knowledge isn't enough, it would be just like buying constructional materials and not using them to build a house. You can then realise that you had the materials but you didn't use them to secure your living. IMO that's why G would call it useless knowledge.

Hi, Nem, all

yes, I feel I have purchased to many materials without even knowing what the house will be built with. I like the analogy.

I have been reading about the EE program, listened to the intro explanatory podcast 2 nights ago.

In regard to diet, I try to avoid gluten, have been (not as consistantly as I should) making myself the morning anti-toxin thickshake from the
"Anti-Candida, Inflammation, Heavy Metals Detox and Diet" thread...http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=10573.0.

I think one of the biggest things is a need to exercise (and breathe) more, and I interpret this, to be a being-building activity, taking control of the vehicle....

Perhaps it is a matter of the overuse of the intellectual center over the physical & emotional? or perhaps I am over intellectualizing??

thanks, all...

Hi mechanimated

You may find a possible explanation to your question in this thread, 'Physical issues reading GNOSIS'.

This may lead you into doing the Breathing-Meditation exercise on a regular basis, experience shows that it helps. You may find that it works particularly well when done in conjunction with the various detox programmes. And this is from one who has been dominated by the lower intellectual centre.

Back
Top Bottom