Labyrinth

Cyre2067

The Living Force
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091369/

Heh watched this the other night with some friends and couldn't get over the esoteric references.

First of all, Jareth is totally a hyperdimensional being. He can teleport around, turn into animals, create pocket realities that serve as illusions for any human he wishes to throw into one, all under the pretext of "magic". He control's an army of goblins, and commands them as he wishes. They seem to follow him out of fear. He uses magic on the protagonist in the form of a poisoned peach to put her asleep and make her forget who she is and why she's really in the labyrinth. I also thought how the labyrinth is a parallel to our reality and how we're wandering in a maze that we can only get through if we find friends to guide us. There's another part, one of the creatures that joins Sarah (the protagonist) can roar/sing and make rocks move. He can command huge boulders too, just by using his voice - sound familiar? He promises to give her anything she wants at the end, but when she refuses all she has to beat him is to realize that she is stronger then he and he "has no power" over her. All in all for a rewatch of an 80s flick with David Bowie busting into song every 20 minutes it's a pretty deep film.

Definately reccomend it if you havent seen it recently.

Also worth note - when i thought about posting this message i kept getting sidetracked by seemingly innocuous things and each time i forgot i was going to post! Obviously i remembered after 4 or 5 sidetrackings... interesting this flyer's mind bit.

Thanks for the tip! Jim Henson, of all people. I never heard about this movie. Bowie as the Goblin King. Sounds really interesting.

Yes, I would also recommend this. A couple of other points:

* there are doors where there appears to be none in the Labyrinth, which reminded me of 4th density portals or doorways

* the initial child abduction reminded me of reputed alien abductions

* the Escher-type stairs at the end are an interesting illusion (admittedly via mediocre special effects), and are representative of a non-3D type world

* there are numerous references to mirrors, and manifesting things (people, goblins, etc.) through the mirrors

* as was later used in the Matrix Reloaded, there are keys used in the Oubliette within the Labyrinth where turning a key one way reveals one "world", and turning the key the alternate way reveals a completely different "world". This seemed to be very 4D in nature...

* as was the case with "The Truman Show" with Jim Carrey, Sarah recognizes that it is ultimately her will power that will determine success or failure in the Labyrinth.

This is a movie loaded chock-a-block with esoteric symbolism. The challenge is not to watch it; that is easy. The challenge is to watch it and to NOT fast-forward through all the bad David Bowie songs ...

Great movie! If you already saw it (spoilers alert), here great site with lot of interesting facts about this film.
http://www.fast-rewind.com/ Look for "Labyrinth" in the menu.

Beside "you have no power over me!" and Escher stairs, I remember the Worm. Hala? :)
What I found interesting that this creature was really friendy and cute, inviting Sara to drink tea with his missis.
He also showed Sara how to spot the entrance to the labyrinth. But when she entered, he shouted "No! Don't go this way. Go this (another) way." And Sara cheerfully changed her direction. After she gone, the worm said to himself: (don't remember the exact words) "Phuf, good she didn't go this way. If she took this way, she would ended up right before the castle." And I wonder what kind of role he played? Story catalysator, because Sara was intended to actually walk the Labyrinth (no shortcuts). Or he played the role of "loyal servant of the Goblin's king domain"? I would peek first possibility, but who knows, maybe it's hints something else.

See the movie!

I really like this fim, even with DB's singing :D

Its funny how at the start, it was a wish that wasn't even "serious" that got her into the labyrinth. At the time, she probably thought she was serious, but her emotions were getting the better of her. When her wish actually came true, she realised she wasn't serious at all, and would go through "all that" to save the baby. So theres some meaning there, allowing your emotions to decide things for you by themselves is not a good idea. I think the labyrinth is a sort of metaphore for self discovery, so the worm was probably a good thing (wherever its loyalties layed), because if she had gone straight to the castle, Sarah wouldn't have realised how much the baby meant to her, she wouldn't have discovered anything about herself and would be at square one again.

That movie was my favorite of all when I was a kid. I especially liked the thirteen-hour clock (I know it's silly, but isn't 13 supposed to have an anti-matrix meaning?). I even memorized the "magic formula" in french - I can remember maybe half of it now. Anyway, just to say, it's a great movie.

Back
Top Bottom