Language, Sounds and Intelligent Design

Chu, sorry for asking this before actually digging in;
Chomsky has felt a little off to me for a while but lacking quite a lot of background it's difficult to argue why exactly apart from some of his very recent interviews. I am very interested in language specifically in its uhm, inter-relationship with other scientific disciplines and particularly philosophy and metaphysical considerations of the description of things interacting with their state. Aside from some base level quantum waffle, Chris Langan comes to mind immediately as being the only person i know of to tie these two things together in a seemingly wholesome way thus far, but i digress on that particular avenue.

I have written a few posts in the past about information theory and everything computation related starting to weave into this topic wondering what it means and where it is heading, and whether we are heading in the right direction, thinking of Turing, Shannon, then everyone that followed 'recently' and i would assume a still on-going debate about the differences and overlaps between natural languages and formal/ constructed ones.

Who should i be reading to gain some insights from minds that did not get enticed by materialist reductionism in these fields, if that would indeed be the main criticism, and just in general too?

Chomsky has felt a little off to me for a while but lacking quite a lot of background it's difficult to argue why exactly apart from some of his very recent interviews.

Hmm, well, I can relate to that. For years I felt something was off, but he speaks with such authority and convoluted statements, that I assumed I was missing a big thing. Now, the more I read, the more I associate him with important characters like Freud.
Chomsky: "we have an innate capacity for language" (Freud: "we have a subconscious").
That's about it. a big important truth, but no substance. For the rest, he is such a materialist, that his theory avoids anything that doesn't have to do with computers or an alleged genetic endowment that nobody has seen yet, in spite of 20 years of searching.

I am very interested in language specifically in its uhm, inter-relationship with other scientific disciplines and particularly philosophy and metaphysical considerations of the description of things interacting with their state. Aside from some base level quantum waffle, Chris Langan comes to mind immediately as being the only person i know of to tie these two things together in a seemingly wholesome way thus far, but i digress on that particular avenue.

I have written a few posts in the past about information theory and everything computation related starting to weave into this topic wondering what it means and where it is heading, and whether we are heading in the right direction, thinking of Turing, Shannon, then everyone that followed 'recently' and i would assume a still on-going debate about the differences and overlaps between natural languages and formal/ constructed ones.

Could you share the links, please? I'd be interested to read them.

Who should i be reading to gain some insights from minds that did not get enticed by materialist reductionism in these fields, if that would indeed be the main criticism, and just in general too?

If you want to get a pretty good overview of Chomsky's biais, you could read The Kingdom of Speech, by Tom Wolfe. It's not scholarly, and his conclusion is pretty useless IMO, but the review of the competing theories is very interesting and I think you'll see where the study of language became super materialistic.

For a perspective that, although not stated explicitly, makes "computational linguistics" look like a science in diapers, I would recommend "Metaphors we live by", by Lakoff and Johnson. Also not super scholarly, just an introduction. Then, if THAT interests you, "Cognitive Grammar" by Ronald Langacker (more technical but fascinating). These two show, in my opinion, that Shannon's theory was way too simple compared to Language. Also Reddy's, with his "conduit metaphor", if you are familiar with it.

That's what comes to mind based on what you say interests you:
I am very interested in language specifically in its uhm, inter-relationship with other scientific disciplines and particularly philosophy and metaphysical considerations of the description of things interacting with their state.

You will have to expand based on your particular interest as you go along, but I think the books I mentioned above are much more worth it than reading all of Chomsky's work, which focuses almost exclusively on syntax, because he considers "mind" and meaning as being outside of the realm of science and "proper linguistics".

I hope this helps, though I'm far from being an expert in this area. I'm trying to wrap my head around it before making new videos, but it's tied to so much we think we know about language that it's a bit "intimidating".

i would assume a still on-going debate about the differences and overlaps between natural languages and formal/ constructed ones.

Just wanted to add here that, sadly, I don't see a whole lot of debate. I think that the issue itself will become more prevalent because of AI and language modules, but in Linguistics proper, the comparisons between natural and formal languages only go so far. There is layer upon layer of complexity that doesn't exist in formal languages (nor in AI for the time being?). The Chomsky camp will explain that as "biological/physical/genetic endowment not yet found", different but similar types of "modules", etc. Most others don't seem to even bother comparing natural and formal languages, because for them, it's like comparing apples and oranges. I'm generalizing, of course. But the main problem I see is that both camps are still stuck in materialism. For the one, we are like computers; for the others, we are just an accident of nature, and evolved from monkeys. Anything that doesn't fit gets relegated to philosophy or psychology.

I'll have to apologize for a bit of grandstanding in the earlier posts; my knowledge of any subject at hand here is fairly limited. Homo Universalis seems so far out of reach i've aimed for something rather different; a summarizer of everything comprehensible on a short term, that i come across.

Thank you so much for the indepth and detailed replies that are honestly slightly more then i bargained for. First of all there is this thread that ties into things directly in a very important way, we assume that human communication can be purely logical or rational but that is probably just nonsense: Mystery and Order: the left and right hemispheres, it is not a binary question and therein lies a huge part of the problem (comment of mine at the very bottom, but nonsensical without the full post).
The post i was referring to primarily is this Curt Jaimungal: Humor and Free Will -

Being two years older and wiser, in these strange times, i would have formulated that particular post differently without a doubt, but the gist stands, and it also suggests something worth discussing further; in the process of trying to map every possible kind of 'information exchange' - for absolute clarity there can be no ambiguity. This is a core premise of several programming languages. However herein lies the problem that natural and formal languages equated assume people to be 'logical machines' - even if that means logic by way of 'nearly infallible reactive psychology patterns' acting out. Human sciences have gotten lumped in with computer science for some reason, and more importantly a broad assumption now exists that every exchange we make is rooted in the realm of physics too.

While money is energy to some extent, the conflation of terms and disciplines runs very very deep and leaves an enormous web to untangle. I apologize if this was a bit rambly, and not entirely to the point, but it's just the start, so much more to come.

Thank you so much for the indepth and detailed replies that are honestly slightly more then i bargained for. First of all there is this thread that ties into things directly in a very important way, we assume that human communication can be purely logical or rational but that is probably just nonsense: Mystery and Order: the left and right hemispheres, it is not a binary question and therein lies a huge part of the problem (comment of mine at the very bottom, but nonsensical without the full post).
The post i was referring to primarily is this Curt Jaimungal: Humor and Free Will -

Well, I actually enjoyed reading those two posts, thanks. That was a very good summary with interesting comments regarding McGilchrist's book. And I actually hadn't thought about the points you made about humor. Good job.

I'd repeat my recommendation of the books I mentioned above. The three of them are related to what you wrote! But the one that would give you the most to explore is, I think, Langacker's. I was actually thinking about his diagrams of meaning when reading your texts. Humor may work as well, because it distorts the "usual logic" (or construals) that we form. Mind you, his is also a model, not a Left Hemisphere proven truth, but as you pointed out so well, those aren't much use anyway without the Right Hemisphere and experience.

Basically, the idea is that in Linguistics, formal models have also become super prominent, but don't describe much. His main argument is that EVEN grammar (which for generativists/Chonskyans is just a "module", completely divorced from meaning) is full of what you would describe as Right Hemisphere activity too. To catch every single subtle difference in meaning, we need both hemispheres. And we form layer upon layer of meaning, thanks to experience. This is "revolutionary" also because language is seated in the Left Hemisphere for the majority of people. Yet, it wouldn't work with just that. Language may be "analytical", but meaning is much larger than that.

Apologies if this is not very clear. I'm still researching this, and when I can explain it to a 5 year-old (ie. when I understand it), I'll make videos about it. But in the meantime, I reckon it can help with your own studies. I look forward to reading what you think if you decide to read any of these books.

Yes! I will dig into the primary suggestion asap at the very least. Been way too lax with reading and keeping up with the world in general. Whenever i do so it's also easy to get 'sidetracked' by many things, because i feel many of these topics have a relation that needs to be looked at some point. A little like endocrinology used to 'separate' certain organs from the rest of the body in their observed function and action, with it now becoming clear that nothing in a system this complicated operates truly indepently.

An 'emergent' (i loathe the -traditional evolution connotations here-) topic here is AI obviously; ChatGPT4 - I promise i'll get some more diverse sources but places for meaningful and level-headed discussion have been sparse.

That latest link requires a little background; there is mention of symbol manipulation and it's relation to interpretation, and the question to what extent AI systems might be capable of the latter, if at all. Certain schools of thought have argued for mathematics as the 'baseline' of languages as it is assumed to be unambiguous, and therefore it would be a logical foundation of communication. This is part of the appeal of 'modern science', as a promise of an actual 'solution to reality' (a strange phrase on second look). Theories of everything have never been particularly popular before our current age, although they existed. Now many deeply interesting things are diverging and converging at the same time it seems:

https://yewtu.be/watch?v=xHPQ_oSsJgg

I have watched several presentations and interviews with Stephen already, and this one is particularly dense, will have to get back to it. The main question i had was 'what is computational irreducability, and how do you explain it in a philosophical framework?'. Ignore that question for the sake of the current topic, unless you feel inclined differently.

The branching/ rulial operation of things is an interesting spin on the regular binary view of the 'general modus operandi' but i can not shake the feeling that people have generally been incapable of integrating their 'hemispheres' (which i see as the physical component of a metaphysical process) - and then have gone on to project their lack of understanding of their own nature onto 'accepted notions of how language and information works'.

Of course, if all parameters involved have to be physical, or even currently measurable stuff, this way of looking at things will almost certainly be perenially incomplete.

P.S for those who want to dig even further into the current 'hype' and developments; Sam Altman: OpenAI CEO on GPT-4, ChatGPT, and the Future of AI | Lex Fridman Podcast #367
Lot of stuff to unpack there, later ;)

The Darwinists have problems, there clearly is a missing link in languages.
Itā€™s tempting to think that monkeys have hidden linguistic depths to rival those of humans but as Ouattara says, ā€œThis system pales in contrast to the communicative power of grammar.ā€ They monkeysā€™ repertoire may be rich, but itā€™s still relatively limited and they donā€™t take full advantage of their vocabulary. They can create new meanings by chaining calls together, but never by inverting their order (e.g. KB rather than BK). Our language is also symbolic. I can tell you about monkeys even though none are currently scampering about my living room, but Ouattara only found that Campbellā€™s monkeys ā€œtalkā€ about things that they actually see.
For context, the whole article is:
Boom-boom-krak-oo ā€“ Campbellā€™s monkeys combine just six ā€˜wordsā€™ into rich vocabulary
BYED YONG
PUBLISHED DECEMBER 7, 2009
ā€¢ 7 MIN READ
Many human languages achieve great diversity by combining basic words into compound ones ā€“ German is a classic example of this. Weā€™re not the only species that does this. Campbellā€™s monkeys have just six basic types of calls but they have combined them into one of the richest and most sophisticated of animal vocabularies.
By chaining calls together in ways that drastically alter their meaning, they can communicate to each other about other falling trees, rival groups, harmless animals and potential threats. They can signal the presence of an unspecified threat, a leopard or an eagle, and even how imminent the danger is. Itā€™s a front-runner for the most complex example of animal ā€œproto-grammarā€ so far discovered.

Many studies have shown that the chirps and shrieks of monkeys are rich in information, ever since Dorothy Cheney and Robert Seyfarthā€™s seminal research on vervet monkeys. They showed that vervets have specific calls for different predators ā€“ eagles, leopards and snakes ā€“ and theyā€™ll take specific evasive manoeuvres when they hear each alarm.

Campbellā€™s monkeys have been equally well-studied. Scientists used to think that they made two basic calls ā€“ booms and hacks ā€“ and that the latter were predator alarms. Others then discovered that the order of the calls matters, so adding a boom before a hack cancels out the predator message. It also turned out that there were five distinct types of hack, including some that were modified with an -oo suffix. So Campbellā€™s monkeys not only have a wider repertoire of calls than previously thought, but they can also combine them in meaningful ways.

Now, we know that the males make six different types of calls, comically described as boom (B), krak (K), krak-oo (K+), hok (H), hok-oo (H+) and wak-oo (W+). To decipher their meaning, Karim Ouattara spent 20 months in the Ivory Coastā€™s Tai National Park studying the wild Campbellā€™s monkeys from six different groups. Each consists of a single adult male together with several females and youngsters. And itā€™s the males he focused on.

With no danger in sight, males make three call sequences. The first ā€“ a pair of booms ā€“ is made when the monkey is far away from the group and canā€™t see them. Itā€™s a summons that draws the rest of the group towards him. Adding a krak-oo to the end of the boom pair changes its meaning. Rather than ā€œCome hereā€, the signal now means ā€œWatch out for that branchā€. Whenever the males cried ā€œBoom-boom-krak-ooā€, other monkeys knew that there were falling trees or branches around (or fighting monkeys overhead that could easily lead to falling vegetation).

Interspersing the booms and krak-oos with some hok-oos changes the meaning yet again. This call means ā€œPrepare for battleā€, and itā€™s used when rival groups or strange males have showed up. In line with this translation, the hok-oo calls are used far more often towards the edge of the monkeysā€™ territories than they are in the centre. The most important thing about this is that hok-oo is essentially meaningless. The monkeys never say it in isolation ā€“ they only use it to change the meaning of another call.

But the most complex calls are reserved for threats. When males know that danger is afoot but donā€™t have a visual sighting (usually because theyā€™ve heard a suspicious growl or an alarm from other monkeys), they make a few krak-oos.

If they know itā€™s a crowned eagle that endangers the group, they combine krak-oo and wak-oo calls. And if they can actually see the bird, they add hoks and hok-oos into the mix ā€“ these extra components tell other monkeys that the peril is real and very urgent. Leopard alarms were always composed of kraks, and sometimes krak-oos. Here, itā€™s the proportion of kraks that signals the imminence of danger ā€“ the males donā€™t make any if theyā€™ve just heard leopard noises, but they krak away if they actually see the cat.

The most important part of these results is the fact that calls are ordered in very specific ways. So boom-boom-krak-oo means a falling branch, but boom-krak-oo-boom means nothing. Some sequences act as units that can be chained together to more complicated ones ā€“ just as humans use words, clauses and sentences. They can change meaning by adding meaningless calls onto meaningful ones (BBK+ for falling wood but BBK+H+ for neighbours) or by chaining meaningful sequences together (K+K+ means leopard but W+K+ means eagle).

Itā€™s tempting to think that monkeys have hidden linguistic depths to rival those of humans but as Ouattara says, ā€œThis system pales in contrast to the communicative power of grammar.ā€ They monkeysā€™ repertoire may be rich, but itā€™s still relatively limited and they donā€™t take full advantage of their vocabulary. They can create new meanings by chaining calls together, but never by inverting their order (e.g. KB rather than BK). Our language is also symbolic. I can tell you about monkeys even though none are currently scampering about my living room, but Ouattara only found that Campbellā€™s monkeys ā€œtalkā€ about things that they actually see.

Nonetheless, you have to start somewhere, and the complexities of human syntax probably have their evolutionary origins in these sorts of call combinations. So far, the vocabulary of Campbellā€™s monkeys far outstrips those of other species, but this may simply reflect differences in research efforts. Other studies have started to find complex vocabularies in other forest-dwellers like Diana monkeys and putty-nosed monkeys. Ouattara thinks that forest life, with many predators and low visibility, may have provided strong evolutionary pressures for monkeys to develop particularly sophisticated vocal skills.

And there are probably hidden depths to the sequences of monkey calls that we havenā€™t even begun to peer into yet. For instance, what calls do female Campbellā€™s monkeys make? Even for the males, the meanings in this study only become apparent after months of intensive field work and detailed statistical analysis. The variations that happen on a call-by-call basis still remain a mystery to us. The effect would be like looking at Jane Austenā€™s oeuvre and concluding, ā€œIt appears that these sentences signify the presence of posh peopleā€.

Reference: PNAS doi:10.1073/pnas.0908118106

Really sorry for not coming back with anything worth discussing/ not reading the books yet. I have lost focus as of late and stopped paying attention while the world rolled on. I feel the core questions around this topic tie in very directly to Chris Langan's material however, with the simplest possible summation being that language is actually fundamental to reality at our current level.

The thing that is most glaringly missing from generic Wiki pages and most other stuff i've read on the subject is this;
An inquiry into what forms of language and perhaps just information transfer at large are possible without the frameworks we are very much conditioned to assume are 'the only way to do it'. Plants do not communicate by vocalizing yet they are clearly capable of interacting with the world through something we might dub language. Every consideration of the topic is very anthropocentric, yet it seems a little insane to me that language in its broadest sense did not exist before humans. It seems rather more logical that there are alot of languages we can't speak anymore, then to assume they dont exist.

This is more about genetics, or one astrobiologist and a computer AI talk about guy genetic code and language. They beat around the bush and try to fit a square peg too big into the round hole too small, but that they make the comparison with language is interesting.

I managed to press a short cut key for posting, and could not complete editing, and highlighting the transcript which in a glance gives a quick idea of what they are talking about.
31:47 - Genetic language of life
BetĆ¼l KaƧar: Origin of Life, Ancient DNA, Panspermia, and Aliens | Lex Fridman Podcast #350
BetĆ¼l KaƧar explains how the essential amino acids, that are the building blocks of enzymes and proteins are coded for by the sequence of nucleobases, (A), cytosine (C), guanine (G), and uracil (U), in RNA., and how this coding resembles a language.
The two people try to explain or understand or convince themselves that the development of early life was an accident, but they also wonder at the marvel.

Screenshots:
1689096631399.png

1689096733215.png
Below is the slightly edited transcript from the video with the explanation of the chart.
Genetic language of life
So, you're looking at like, this is life itself a bit, right? And so I also wanna make a very quick link now 31.52 to your first question, the tree of life. When we link, when we try 31.58 to understand ancient languages, right? Or the cultures of the, 32.03 or the cultures that use these extinct languages. We start with the modern languages, right?
32.10 So, we look at Indo-European languages and try to understand certain words 32.17 and make trees to understand, you know, this is what Slavic word is for snow, something like "snig."

32.25 - Now we jumped to languages that human spoke throughout human history.

- Exactly, so, we make trees to understand what is 32.31 the original ancestor, what did they use to say snow? And if you have a lot of cultures who use the word snow, 32.38 you can can imagine that it was snowy. That's why they needed that word. It's the same thing for biology, right? 32.46 If they have some, if we understand some function about that enzyme, we can understand 32.51 the environment that they lived in. It's similar in that sense. So, now you're looking at the alphabet for of life. 32.59 In this case it's not 20 or 25 letters, it's you have four letters. 33.04 So, what is really interesting, that stands out to me when I look at this on the other shell, you're looking 33.11 at the 20 amino acids that's composed life, right? The one, the methionine that you see, that's the start. 33.19
So, the start is always the same.

- Got it.

- To me that is fascinating that all life starts with the same starts. 33.24 There is no other start code. So, you send the AG, you know, AUG to the cell that when that information arrives, 33.33 the translation knows, right? I gotta start function is coming, following this 33.39 is a chain of information until the stop code arrives, which are highlighted in black squares.

33.46 - So, for people just listening, we're looking at a standard RNA colored table organized in a wheel. 33.51 There's an outer shell and there's an inner shell all used in the four letters that we're talking about. With that we can compose all of the amino acids 33.58
and there's a start and there's a stop. And presumably you put together the, with these letters, 34.06 you walk around the wheel to put together the words, the sentences that make-

- Yeah, the words, the sentences, and you, again, 34.14 you get one start, you get three, there are three different ways to stop this. One way to start it. 34.19 And for each letter you have multiple options. So, you say you have a code A, 34.26 the second code can be another A, and even if you mess that up, you still can rescue yourself. 34.32 So, you can get a, for instance, I'm looking at the lysine, the K, you get an A and you get an A and then 34.37 you get an A, that gives you the lysine, right? If you get an A and if you get an A and then get a G, you still get the lysine. 34.44 So, there are different combinations. So, even if there's an error, we don't know if these 34.49 are selected because they were erroneous and somehow they got locked down. We don't know if there's a mechanism behind us to, 34.56 or we certainly don't know this definitively, but this is informatic part of this 35.03 and notice that the colors, and in some tables too, the colors will be coded in a way that the type 35.10 of the nucleotide can be similar chemically. But the point is that you will still end up 35.16 with the same amino acids or something similar to it, even if you mess up the code.

- Do we understand the mechanism how natural selection 35.23 interplays with this resilience to error?

- So-

- Which errors result in 35.30 the same output, like the same function and which don't, 35.37 which actually results in a dysfunction or which are?

- We understand to some degree how translation 35.44 and the rest of the cell work together. How an error at the translation level, 35.50 this is a really core level, can impact entire cell, but we understand very little about the evolutionary 35.57 mechanisms behind the selection of the system. It's thought to be as one of the hardest problems 36.04 in biology and it is still the dark side of biology. Even though it is so essential. 36.11 So, this is, yeah, you're looking at the language of life, so to speak, and how it can 36.19 found ways rather to tolerate its own mistakes.

- So, the entire phylogenetic tree can be 36.28 like deconstructed with this wheel of language.

- Because all the final letters, 36.35 those are, that's the 20 amino acids, that's our alphabet.

- Yeah.

- They're all brought together 36.40 with these bits of information, right? So, when you look at the genes, you're looking at those four letters. 36.46 When you look at the proteins, you're looking at the 20 amino acids, which may be a little easier way to track 36.52 the information when we create the tree.

- So, using this language, 36.57 we can describe all life that's lived on earth. It's one perspective-

- I wish, it's not, 37.04 we are not that good at it yet, right? So-

- So, in theory, this is one way to look at life on earth.

37.11 - If you are a biologist and you want to understand how life evolved from a molecular perspective, 37.18 this would be the way to do it, and this is what nature narrowed its code down to. 37.25
So, when we think of nitrogen, when we think of carbon, when we think of sulfur, it's all in this that the, 37.31 all these nucleotides are built based on those elements.

- And this is fundamental to the informatic perspective 37.39 on this whole mechanism.

- Exactly. That's the informatic perspective. And it's important to emphasize that this is not engineered by humans. 37.47 This is this evolved by itself.

- Like, right. Humans didn't invent this just because, 37.53 we're just describing, we're trying to find, trying to describe the language of life.

- Yeah, it appears to be 37.59 a highly optimized chemical and information code. 38.05 It may indicate that a great deal of chemical evolution 38.10 and this may indicate that a lot of selection pressure 38.16 and Darwinian evolution happened with prior to the rise of last universal common ancestor because this is almost a bridge that connects 38.24 the earliest cells to the last universal common ancestor.

- Okay. Can you describe what the heck you just said? 38.29 So, this mechanism evolved before the what common ancestor? 38.36

- So, there's the-

- The last universal common ancestor.

- So, when we talk about the tree, when we think about the root, if you, 38.42 ideally included all the living information 38.48 or all the available information that comes from living organisms on your tree. Then it on the root of your tree lies 38.54 the last universal common ancestor, LUCA, right?

- Why the last? Last universal? 39.00 Because the earlier universal, it also had trees, but they all died off.

- We call it the last because it is sort 39.07 of the first one that we can track because we cannot, 39.13 we don't know what we cannot track, right?

- So, there was one organism that started the whole thing. 39.19

- It's more like a, I would think of it as more like a population, a group of organisms than a single.

- Hold on one second, I tweeted this. 39.24 So, I wanna know the accuracy of my tweet. All right, sometimes early in the morning 39.31 I tweet very pothead-like things, I said that we all evolved from one common ancestor 39.41 that was a single cell organism 3.5 billion years ago. 39.47
Something like this. How true is that tweet? Do I need to delete it? Not that it's actually correct. 39.54 I mean, I think of course there's a lot to say, which is like, we don't know exactly 40.01 but to what degrees the single organism aspect, is that true versus multiple organisms?
40.08 - Do you want me to be-

- Brutally honest? Yes, please.

40.15 - So-

- There's still time. This is how we get like caveated tweets. We'll just-

- All right, so first of all, 40.21 it's not, 3.5 is still a very conservative estimate, that's first for-

- In which direction? 40.27

- I would say it's 3.8 is probably safer to say at this point.

- A bunch of people said it probably was before that.

40.34 - If you put an approximately, I'll take that.

- I didn't, I just love the idea that I was once, 40.42 first of all as a single organism, I was once a cell.

- Well you're still as, you're a group of cells. 40.49

- No, but I started from a single cell. Me, Lex.

- You mean like you versus LUCA? 40.55 Are you relating to LUCA right now? Or you as a-

- No, no, no. I'm relating to my like-

- Your own development.

- My own development. I started from a single cell. 41.02 It's like, (Lex vocalizing)

- Yes.

- It like built up and stuff. Okay. That and then, so that's for single biologic organism. 41.09 And then from an evolutionary perspective, the LUCA, like I start, like my ancestor is a single cell 41.16 and then here I am sitting half asleep, tweeting, 41.21 like I started from a single cell, evolved, a ton of murder along the way to this 41.28 like brutal search for adaptation through 41.34 the 3.5, .8 billion years.

- So, you defy the code 41.39 of Douglas Adams, you are proud of your ancestors and you invite them over to dinner and you invite them over to your Twitter.
41.44 - Yeah.

- So.

- And it's amazing that this intelligence, to the degree you can call it intelligence emerged 41.50 to be able to tweet whatever the heck I want.

- Yes.

- I mean it's a bit-

- It's almost intelligence at the chemical level. 41.55 And this is also probably one of the first chemical intelligent system 42.01 that evolved by itself in nature's translations.

- Yeah, so you see that translation as a fundamentally like intelligent mechanism. 42.09

- In its own way, and again, if we manage to figure out 42.16 how to drive life's evolution and it can, 42.21 if it can evolve a sophisticated sort of informatic processing system like this, you may 42.30 ask yourself what might chemical systems be capable of independently doing under different circumstances? 42.40

- Yeah so, like locally, they're intelligent locally, they don't need the rest of the shebang. Like they don't need the big picture.

42.47 - They need, so that's a great segue into what makes this biological, right? 42.53 The heart of the cellular activities are translation. You kill translation, you kill the cell. 42.59

- Yes.

- You not only, the translation itself, you kill the component 43.04
that initiates it, you kill the cell, you kill, you remove the component that elongates it, you kill the cell. 43.10 So, there are many different ways to disrupt this machinery. They all the part, all the parts are important. 43.16 Now, it can vary across different organisms. We see variation between bacteria 43.21 versus eukaryotes versus archaea, right? So, it is not the same exact steps, but it can get more crowded as we get closer 43.30 to eukaryotes for instance. But you are still computing about 20 amino acids per second, right? 43.37
This is what you're generating every second.

- That single machinery is doing 20 a second? 43.43

- 20, 21 for bacteria, I believe eight for eukaryotes, or nine.

- 21 a second? 43.49 I mean that's super inefficient or super efficient depending on how you think about it.

- I think it's great. I mean I cannot-

43.55 - Yeah, but it's way slower than a computer could generate through simulation.

- I think if you can show me a computer 44.02 that does this, we are done here.

- Well, this is the big, this includes the five things, 44.08 not just, but I could show you a computer that's doing the informatic, right?

- Like yes, you can show me that, 44.14 but you cannot show me the one that has all.

- For now.

- For now.

- I will ask you about probably what alpha fold, right?

44.23 - I think the more we learn about, and this is why early life and origin is also very fascinating 44.29 and applicable to many different disciplines. There is no way you see this, the way we just described it,
44.35 unless you think about early life in early geochemistry and earliest emergent systems.
Here is the outline from the YouTube description:
0:00 - Introduction
0:56 - History of life on Earth
9:00 - Origin of life
31:47 - Genetic language of life
44:43 - Life and energy
55:26 - Ancient DNA
1:14:24 - Evolution
1:25:55 - Alien life
1:53:55 - Panspermia
2:00:17 - Restarting life on Earth
2:12:58 - Where ideas come from
2:20:30 - Science and language
2:29:07 - Love
2:30:30 - Advice to young people
2:35:04 - Meaning of life
I still have to listen to what comes after minute 45, but posted in case I will not have time for the rest.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom