LASIK eye surgery - any thoughts or even better experiences...

Z...

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Well as it says in the title I am seriously considering this option.

I have been wearing lenses since elementary school and this has now become my second nature. Still, being outdorsy and sporty person I find lenses to be a big burden at times.
Also I often dream of waking up in the morning and seeing everything clearly. The thing is without lenses I am blind a as fruit bat.

There is also one thing that I never admited to anyone else. When I think of cataclismic events that might be ahead of us, the idea of me relying on lenses for perfect vision in such environment is quite distrubing.

I was wondering if any of you has experience with this treatment and would it be possible to hear the details about it...

Thanks

I have been reading and finding out about LASIK. I have been considering it for my daughter but the more I find out or read about it the more skeptical I become about LASIK. Anyway I found the Bates method and I am reading thru the PDF document available at their site. Have you come across Dr. Bates method and if so any thoughts on it?

I'm going to try this Bates Method for a while and post the results. I too have been concerned by entering into a period of potential chaos without proper eyesight...

Vulcan59 said:
I have been reading and finding out about LASIK. I have been considering it for my daughter but the more I find out or read about it the more skeptical I become about LASIK. Anyway I found the Bates method and I am reading thru the PDF document available at their site. Have you come across Dr. Bates method and if so any thoughts on it?
Can you please elaborate more about your skepticism.
What causes it?

Thanks for the link. It seems like serious site, I cannt say I know much about this method. I remeber that at least 6 or 7 years ago my cousin was involved in some workshops that sounded like what is described here as Bates method, but I am not sure. All I know is that exercises were very difficult to keep up with, that she had problems not using her glasses and the most depressing thin that she still wears the same heavy glasses she always use to wear. But I will make an effort to contact her and try to obtain as much info as possible.

Hi Deckard, for starters here is a quote from the C's regarding surgery;
Session 950415 said:
Q: (L) Is it necessary for me to have surgery to fix my shoulder?
A: Be careful not to be misled.
Q: (L) Is that about the surgery?
A: Yes.
Q: (L) Will my arm get well on its own?
A: Can.
Q: (J) How? (T) You ought to get a second or even a third opinion.
A: Yes. Surgery is profitable.
Q: (L) Can you recommend something that I can do other than surgery?
A: Heat therapy combined with dietary adjustment.
In fact if you search for "surgery" in the transcripts, you will find that every time that word is mentioned the response from the C's seems to be negative, OSIT. Now coming back to LASIK in particular, a search on the net will quickly revealed some facts. Here are some. First, it's not for everyone and not all eye problems can be cured by LASIK surgery. Secondly after the FDA approved LASIK in 1998, there have been no long term studies of it's effects. That's reason enough for me to be skeptical. Click here here for some info on LASIK procedures that have gone wrong.

On the other hand, lots of anecdotal accounts of people having benefited from LASIK. I don't have clinical evidence or perhaps I don't have access to such reports, so I don't really know for sure what the real benefits are and how safe it is.

Deckard said:
Well as it says in the title I am seriously considering this option.

I have been wearing lenses since elementary school and this has now become my second nature. Still, being outdorsy and sporty person I find lenses to be a big burden at times.
Also I often dream of waking up in the morning and seeing everything clearly. The thing is without lenses I am blind a as fruit bat.

There is also one thing that I never admited to anyone else. When I think of cataclismic events that might be ahead of us, the idea of me relying on lenses for perfect vision in such environment is quite distrubing.

I was wondering if any of you has experience with this treatment and would it be possible to hear the details about it...

Thanks
I have the same problem as you but the worse is that my vision is still not stabilized, and for this reason I can't get access to this surgery.
My companion get it for presbyopia and in fact the only manner to be less presbyope is to be more myope. So, in his personnal case, the surgeon had operated only one eye which is now more myope but which can read now without problem the little lines . The other eye is always in the same state that before but the brain makes the synthesis of the 2 images so he can see as well from far that from near.
However , the results are not guaranted for the whole life and the surgery was very painful for 2/3 days after. You must count also several months of eye lotions and creams (A vitamin for cicatrization...).

So in my own case even if I can do this surgery I don't really now if I would do it. I'm trying to work in kinesiology on this problem because sometimes this kind of troubles can come from a refusal to see something or a kind of defense against the environment - like a psychic shield- . This little story gives you an example :

A girl got a very bad vision of only one eye since she was a teenager. In a session of kinesiology, it appeared that the girl had been violated by his own brother and she never said anything about this to her parents. When the family ate together, the brother was sat beside her and that was the side she lose her vision. After being aware of that and working on the drama, she recovered a good vision.

I think you can try to search something in this kind of direction, and not necessary in kinesiology ... though the ophtalmologists say, I think it is always possible -even if the way is long and difficult- to change positively this situation.
See also if you have not troubles with your liver because in chinese medicine , liver and eyes are linked and liver is linked to the emotion of anger.

I hope this would bring to you new perspectives...

I read when they first introduced the procedure, a small but significant number of people had their eyes permanently damaged to the point that there was no way to correct it. Since then, they say the lasers have gotten more exact and the percentage of failures is way down, but...

Deckard said:
Can you please elaborate more about your skepticism.
What causes it?

DH said:
I read when they first introduced the procedure, a small but significant number of people had their eyes permanently damaged to the point that there was no way to correct it.
I personally know of a person whose eyes were damaged because of it some 7 years ago, and there is nothing anyone can do about it he was told. He has a lot of difficulties reading anything. Just even the slight possibility of this happening makes me not want anything to "invade" my eyes. Glasses are good and so are contacts, and if worse comes to worse regarding our planet, then i'll have to live through it with my myopia. It comes down to personal choice i think.

But also remember how the C's say it's "Who you are and what you see that matters" - I mean, I'm sure eyesight will be important in its own right, but I think it is much more important what we know and "see", which will be our biggest guidance in such a time - or at any time really. I mean if you're thinking of a situation like "day after tomorrow" or something like a "terminator 1/2/3" apocalyptic future where humanity is reduced to running around very dangerous areas trying to survive, that is one thing. But I think that to a large degree, it's still a Hollywood action movie, so it greatly over exaggerates the need for rambo-style navigation of mountains of human skulls with a machine gun, or running away from the eye of a hurricane or a giant tornado, etc. In other words, I think the ability ot "SEE" will allow us to be in the right place in the right time to not necessarily be placed in a position where we need perfect eyesight to survive. Just some thoughts.

Hmmm, come to think of it, didn't Neo in the Matrix loose his eyesight? But he was able to See and Do on a different level afterwards :cool2:

Two women in the office that I know fairly well have had Lasik. Both results were remarkable. Neither one needs glasses at all now. They reported little pain and a quick recovery. I think it matters where you have this done and whether or not the doctor is experienced at it. Asking them about my options, I found out that the procedure can't be done on anyone with a neurological condition, which eliminates me from having it. I am legally blind without glasses.

However: For about ten years I was an active fencer. The helmets for the sport made wearing glasses impossible, so I went without. It never hampered me. It was just a different manner of 'seeing'. It was also fun to compete with men twice my size, and win, then have someone lead me over to get my glasses on. LOL

Our eyes can deceive us. Better to "take the glasses off" ey?

Gimpy

Gimpy said:
It was also fun to compete with men twice my size, and win, then have someone lead me over to get my glasses on. LOL
:lol: Good for you! It never hurts to keep them on their toes. :D

Deckard said:
I have a friend who had this done, she had no problems, but she still needs glasses! She can see a lot better, but not well enough to see without glasses. I also remember asking my eye doctor whether he would have it done, and he said, "Not until the long term effects are known."
I think I'll be sticking to my contact lenses...

Gimpy said:
It was just a different manner of 'seeing'. It was also fun to compete with men twice my size, and win, then have someone lead me over to get my glasses on. LOL
Blimey! Sounds like that blind 'master po' bloke with the ping-pong ball eyes in those kung foo programs. :)

I have myopia as well, and it did cross my mind for a few seconds once about having the corrective eye surgery. But the cost and the fact that I always try to avoid doctors, hospitals, dentists, etc. unless absolutely necessary quickly put that idea to rest. I just don’t fancy the thought of anyone messing about and possibly doing more damage to something so useful to me as my eyes.

Ill stick with the glasses. Its not as if Im completely blind without them, But doing certain things like driving, or spotting small tornadoes in the distance would be a problem. :)

ScioAgapeOmnis said:
But also remember how the C's say it's "Who you are and what you see that matters" - I mean, I'm sure eyesight will be important in its own right, but I think it is much more important what we know and "see", which will be our biggest guidance in such a time - or at any time really.
So it’s not literally ‘what you see’ it’s more in the way of how objectively you can assess what is really going on and act on that assessment according to who you are.
What I mean is that even if someone was totally blind, there’s still a chance they could ‘see’ what’s really happening by reading brail and listening to people, tv, radio etc. and using their brain.

For instance, has anyone here ever said to someone that even a blind man can see that 9/11 wasn’t done by a man in a cave?

Back
Top Bottom