Let Them Eat Cake - The 2024 Met Gala

lainey

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
You could be forgiven for thinking the theme of this year’s Met Gala was “Fashion from the Capitol of Panem” with celebrities on the red carpet looking like they stepped straight out of the Hunger Games. This year’s display of wealth was shown live on many social media platforms, TikTok included, and I took some time to watch some of the show and see the outfits.

The theme of 2024 was 'The Garden of Time', which is inspired by the J.G. Ballard short story of the same name (For those interested the story is about a 15min read and can be found here https://cultureinjection.wordpress....lard-james-graham-the-garden-of-time-1962.pdf). Interestingly, the story is about a rich couple living in a lavish mansion surrounded by beautiful gardens with crystal flowers growing inside. When one of these flowers is picked, it turns back time for a period. A huge angry mob is seen advancing over the horizon running towards the villa, and in the evening the man picks a flower to turn back time and have the army retreat back buying them a day or two. The number of flowers dwindles and the army gets closer and closer till the last day where the couple spend their time cleaning and securing their material possessions. When there are no flowers left, the mob breaches the walls of the villa and the time catches up. The villa is transported into an abandoned state, ruined and ravaged by time, and the couple are turned to stone, immortalised as statues beneath the balcony

I can’t help but think that this is symbolic of the elite feeling the pressure of time running out before the masses turn on them out of desperation. The celebrities of the Met Gala existing in a lavish world of their own while the world burns around them, the objective reality of the world they have had a hand in creating advancing closer and closer to their bubble.

The disparity between the haves and the have nots was not missed by those on social media. A ticket to the Met Gala reportedly cost $75,000 and tables ranged between $200,000 and $300,000. South African singer, Tyla wore a dress made of sand glued to her body (representing the sands of time) so fitting she could neither walk nor step up the main stairs. A team of men had to carry her into the event.

tyla.PNG

Singer/songwriter Camila Cabello carried a $22.5k “ice purse” which was a Swarovski crystal encrusted rose embedded in block of ice (the handle of which broke off before she even reached the red carpet). The explanation was that “everything is fleeting”. A flagrant display of wealth at the same time as most of the population are struggling to put food on the table.

ice purse.PNG

The straw that broke the camels back though, was model and influencer Haley Kalil who arrived at the event to report from the outskirts dressed in a Marie Antoinette themed dress who proceeded to film and post a TikTok of herself miming to a trending sound from the 2006 movie Marie Antoinette starring Kirsten Dunst where she says the famously (mis)quoted line “let them eat cake”. The video has since been taken down, but here is a clip along with part of her “apology” video.

"Let them eat cake" is the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche",[1] said to have been spoken in the 18th century by "a great princess" upon being told that the peasants had no bread. The French phrase mentions brioche, a bread enriched with butter and eggs, considered a luxury food. The quote is taken to reflect either the princess's frivolous disregard for the starving peasants or her poor understanding of their plight.

Although the phrase is conventionally attributed to Marie Antoinette, it can actually be traced back to Jean-Jacques Rousseau's Confessions in 1765, 24 years prior to the French Revolution, and when Antoinette was nine years old and had never been to France. The quote was only attributed to her decades after her death, and historians do not believe that she said it

This ignited the anger of many people online who were disgusted with the “tone deaf” post made while much of the internet were using their platforms to protest about Israels war against Palestine. Thus, sparking the movement #blockout2024 “where it calls for social media users to block celebrities and influencers who are remaining silent about Israel's war against Palestine.

With the blockout movement gaining traction across social media, it appears that celebrities and high-profile influencers are losing followers. In a video report by TRT World, it displayed the plummeting numbers of followers through the profiles of several A-list celebs and influencers such as Kim Kardashian, Taylor Swift and Haley Bailey.”
Celebrities and influencers lose followers as TikTokers call for a mass block against them

While the number of followers lost by these celebrities as a result of this seems like a drop in the ocean compared to the millions of people (and paid bots) who still follow them it’s a sign that people are fed up and close to breaking point. Things are certainly shaking up.

I've seen pictures about this Met Gala through the years but I was never sure what it was about. Now that you brought it up, I had a look on wiki and it appears it is a fundraiser for the fashion institute:

The Met Gala was established in 1948 by fashion publicist Eleanor Lambert as a fundraiser for the newly founded Costume Institute to mark the opening of its annual exhibit.
About the Costume Institute:

The Anna Wintour Costume Center is a wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art main building in Manhattan that houses the collection of the Costume Institute, a curatorial department of the museum focused on fashion and costume design.

The Met Gala is one of the most notable sources of funding for the Institute,[19] with total contributions surpassing $200 million for the first time after the 2019 event.

So hundreds of millions of dollars are being fundraised every year for the curation of a fashion museum. Personally, I find the history of fashion fascinating and I respect the preservation of historical costumes, but, come on, this is incredibly excessive. And I suspect that somebody(ies) must be pocketing part of those millions. There are fashion museums around the world that do not require this much funding. What am I missing?

The whole thing is a reminder of how out of touch with reality most rich and famous people are. Heartless and not incredibly creative or intelligent either.

There are fashion museums around the world that do not require this much funding. What am I missing?
I feel like part of the answer might be that because it is a charity event, you can write the cost off on your tax return.
The charity ball gets more attention than any other in the country and is attended by the likes of Beyoncé, George Clooney, Nicole Kidman, Derek Jeter and Bradley Cooper. But, RCI writes, all of that glitz and glamour is underwritten by the American taxpayer. Taxpayer subsidies occur in a number of ways at the Met Gala. Tables for 10 go from $275,000 to $500,000, and so buyers may deduct that cost, minus the nominal cost of the meals, set at $250 a person. You can also pay the Met Gala a seven-figure sum to have your name up in lights for the night, as well as at the exhibition that follows. That is also tax deductible.
Though it would be interesting to see where all that money actually goes!

I can’t help but think that this is symbolic of the elite feeling the pressure of time running out before the masses turn on them out of desperation. The celebrities of the Met Gala existing in a lavish world of their own while the world burns around them, the objective reality of the world they have had a hand in creating advancing closer and closer to their bubble.

The disparity between the haves and the have nots was not missed by those on social media. A ticket to the Met Gala reportedly cost $75,000 and tables ranged between $200,000 and $300,000. South African singer, Tyla wore a dress made of sand glued to her body (representing the sands of time) so fitting she could neither walk nor step up the main stairs. A team of men had to carry her into the event.
I've had the exact same thought of Hunger Games, and also considering the Eurovision, which wasn't just gay this year but positively demonic (and with Israel placing 4th...). What a time to be alive. It seems like the "elites" have completely lost the plot and are just dancing in some drug-induced stupor on the Titanic as it slowly sinks.

I don't usually note much about such things. On twitter/X the other day I did see this in terms of the comparison with Hunger Games. If you search on twitter/X it seems that there are many people that have made the connection.

Great find! That video puts across a powerful message too. I've noticed a lot of videos like that gaining quite a bit of traction on tiktok too, some gaining millions of views. It seems like plenty people are taking notice.

Interesting how fashion can be so about a false external show which hides the inner essence. And yet the absurdity and vanity of that essence shines through anyway and is on full display at the same time. Clothes that nobody would ever really wear which they can’t even walk in is something way beyond fashion.

How people actually idolise them is just beyond my understanding.
One could just say that simpletons need something or someone to worship, but that's surely too... simplistic. I bet most of the "simpletons" actually hate the elites.
So, in reality, i think it's something different: many (if not most?) of those people want to be in that position themselves.

This is what they aspire to, this is their dream, their fantasy. To be among such elites and celebrities, on top of the pyramid, where they can do whatever to everyone under them, and still be idolized for it. To throw away money, do be able to do anything without consequences, to receive nothing but praise, to live an eternal fairy tale, to be like gods.

By your heroes we shall know who you are, i suppose.

But it's ironic, isn't it? They, that worship those who stomp on them, are stomped by those they worship, because they want to be like them...

I've had the exact same thought of Hunger Games, and also considering the Eurovision, which wasn't just gay this year but positively demonic (and with Israel placing 4th...). What a time to be alive. It seems like the "elites" have completely lost the plot and are just dancing in some drug-induced stupor on the Titanic as it slowly sinks.
Drung induced stupor is the way I see it too.

And in that sense, like any substance abuser.. they use it to ignore reality, and it isn't as obvious as it is today, and they need to continue to get more and more extreme forms of stimulation, in order to maintain their oblivion. That's why these things keep getting absolutely grotjesquesque and extreme. They need a harder hitting drug to maintain their stupor.

In a time where most people are struggling to make ends, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on props, costumes, and make up.. how more disconnected can you get from reality? and it's like they take that question as a challenge and a contest.

In a time where most people are struggling to make ends, they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on props, costumes, and make up.. how more disconnected can you get from reality? and it's like they take that question as a challenge and a contest.

This showed on my X feed this morning, very fitting here:

I am interested in the history of fashion, the skill, craftsmanship and creativity behind it, and also the meaning of clothing, such as local traditions and fabrics. I think in clothing / fashion there is an interesting overlap of customs, context, societal norms, Zeitgeist, self-expression, tradition and creativity. It tells a story, too. And in the past I always enjoyed looking at the compilations of dresses worn at the big events like Oscars or Met Gala.

But these days, if I want to see something inspiring or beautiful, I turn towards historical or vintage fashion. The same with art. I am rather put off by most of the dresses you see from the Met Gala. Yes, there is craftsmanship, but it seems like the more elaborate (unwearable ant artsy) the dress, the more mere object the person inside the dress becomes. In a way, the clothes are also taking away from the humanity of the person wearing it. They are just a silhouette, a mere shell (what many of them are in more than one sense) to be dressed up. And I don't want to know the insane amount of time, preparation and money that goes into the other elements of their appearance (diet, make-up, hair, whatever they do). I understand the idea of beauty as being something "more", something transcendental, but here beauty can be seen in the purest materialistic expression.

Fashion has always pushed the idea we have about how the human body looks like (corsets, crinolines, high heels, etc. or the tight, tight jackets, or the wigs they dressed in in the romance novels :-)), and maybe it is just that the lens through which I look on the world around me has changed so much that I see ill intent in the design of clothing, but many of the dresses made me feel uneasy.

And that is not even talking about the total disconnect from people's (financial) reality today. It really is "panem et circences" for our days, floating the media with distraction. A truly narcissistic celebration of self-importance.

Back
Top Bottom