"Life Without Bread"

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10690946
Stevioside acts directly on pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin: actions independent of cyclic adenosine monophosphate and adenosine triphosphate-sensitive K+-channel activity.
Jeppesen PB, Gregersen S, Poulsen CR, Hermansen K.
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark.
In conclusion, stevioside and steviol stimulate insulin secretion via a direct action on beta cells. The results indicate that the compounds may have a potential role as antihyperglycemic agents in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18435771
Rebaudioside A directly stimulates insulin secretion from pancreatic beta cells: a glucose-dependent action via inhibition of ATP-sensitive K-channels.
Abudula R, Matchkov VV, Jeppesen PB, Nilsson H, Aalkjaer C, Hermansen K.
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism C, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus C, Denmark.
Recently, we showed that rebaudioside A potently stimulates the insulin secretion from isolated mouse islets in a dose-, glucose- and Ca2+-dependent manner. Little is known about the mechanisms underlying the insulinotropic action of rebaudioside A. The aim of this study was to define the signalling system by which, rebaudioside A acts.In conclusion, the insulinotropic effect of rebaudioside A is mediated via inhibition of ATP-sensitive K+-channels and requires the presence of high glucose. The inhibition of ATP-sensitive K+-channels is probably induced by changes in the ATP/ADP ratio.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15375798

Rebaudioside A Potently Stimulates Insulin Secretion From Isolated Mouse Islets: Studies on the Dose-, Glucose-, and Calcium-Dependency
Reziwanggu Abudula, Per Bendix Jeppesen, Stig Eric D. Rolfsen, Jianzhong Xiao, and Kjeld Hermansen
Extracts of leaves of the plant Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni (SrB), have been used for many years in traditional treatment of diabetes in South America. Stevia leaves contain diterpene glycosides, stevioside and rebaudioside A being the most abundant. Recently, it was demonstrated that stevioside stimulates the insulin secretion both in vitro and in vivo.The effect of rebaudioside A is critically dependent on the presence of extracellular Ca2+, ie, rebaudioside A–induced insulin stimulation at high glucose disappears in the absence of extracellular Ca2+. In conclusion, rebaudioside A possesses insulinotropic effects and may serve a potential role as treatment in type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Also curious_richard, I made a typo: it should've been "stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin". Sorry 'bout that. (Also, if you'd rather I just post the links without quotes, let me know.)

Muxel said:
_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10690946
Stevioside acts directly on pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin: actions independent of cyclic adenosine monophosphate and adenosine triphosphate-sensitive K+-channel activity.
Jeppesen PB, Gregersen S, Poulsen CR, Hermansen K.
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Aarhus University Hospital, Denmark.
In conclusion, stevioside and steviol stimulate insulin secretion via a direct action on beta cells. The results indicate that the compounds may have a potential role as antihyperglycemic agents in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18435771
Rebaudioside A directly stimulates insulin secretion from pancreatic beta cells: a glucose-dependent action via inhibition of ATP-sensitive K-channels.
Abudula R, Matchkov VV, Jeppesen PB, Nilsson H, Aalkjaer C, Hermansen K.
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism C, Aarhus University Hospital, Aarhus C, Denmark.
Recently, we showed that rebaudioside A potently stimulates the insulin secretion from isolated mouse islets in a dose-, glucose- and Ca2+-dependent manner. Little is known about the mechanisms underlying the insulinotropic action of rebaudioside A. The aim of this study was to define the signalling system by which, rebaudioside A acts.In conclusion, the insulinotropic effect of rebaudioside A is mediated via inhibition of ATP-sensitive K+-channels and requires the presence of high glucose. The inhibition of ATP-sensitive K+-channels is probably induced by changes in the ATP/ADP ratio.

_http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15375798

Rebaudioside A Potently Stimulates Insulin Secretion From Isolated Mouse Islets: Studies on the Dose-, Glucose-, and Calcium-Dependency
Reziwanggu Abudula, Per Bendix Jeppesen, Stig Eric D. Rolfsen, Jianzhong Xiao, and Kjeld Hermansen
Extracts of leaves of the plant Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni (SrB), have been used for many years in traditional treatment of diabetes in South America. Stevia leaves contain diterpene glycosides, stevioside and rebaudioside A being the most abundant. Recently, it was demonstrated that stevioside stimulates the insulin secretion both in vitro and in vivo.The effect of rebaudioside A is critically dependent on the presence of extracellular Ca2+, ie, rebaudioside A–induced insulin stimulation at high glucose disappears in the absence of extracellular Ca2+. In conclusion, rebaudioside A possesses insulinotropic effects and may serve a potential role as treatment in type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Also curious_richard, I made a typo: it should've been "stimulate the pancreas to secrete insulin". Sorry 'bout that. (Also, if you'd rather I just post the links without quotes, let me know.)
That's really news... and I just bought a bottle of stevia too. I like the way you posted the references. Thanks.

Laura said:
The Unspoken Truth about the Paleo Diet & Weight Loss

http://paleo.com.au/2012/02/paleo-diet-weight-loss/

I’ve lost 7kg in the last six weeks (15 pounds) and finally smashed through that plateau. I think this is proof enough that a Paleo diet – with reduced portion sizes, is the essential combination for weight loss.

I don’t know what happens at the right body weight, but I am expecting to find (when I get there) that I will be able to eat as much Paleo food as I like, with no adverse effect on my weight or body composition. In the meantime, it’s clear that reducing portion sizes is the right approach.

Essentially, I think the Paleo diet needs are very different for an athletic individual, compared to an overweight individual.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this – have you had similar experiences? Do you agree that portion control is essential for weight loss, on a Paleo diet?

Thank you for this post, I was thinking about it a lot lately. My teenage daughter and I started the diet at the same time (few months ago) and since then I've lost 10 kg, but she lost only 3kg. It was a big surprise, since she was the one who desired to lose weight (she gain around 8 kg while recovering from a brain concussion, prior to the diet) while I even started to fear I'll turn into a skinny skeleton after rapidly losing weight for the first few weeks. The weight situation stabilized for me, for a month now, but she's still not losing any kg, although we eat exactly the same food, all the time.

I came to the same conclusion as in that post, cause I wasn't used to eat meat and fat and it took me a while to 'switch' and be able to eat a proper amount of it. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was eating way less than usual cause I would feel 'full' with lesser portions. My daughter, on the other hand, was always a huge fan of meat and continued to eat the same amount. And after first losing 3 kg she stayed on that same weight for two months now and getting a bit frustrated with it. After a lot of thinking we concluded it's probably the matter of a portion size. She got used to eat a bit too much while she was sick and it became a habit.

Will share that post with her and see if she's willing to slowly reduce a portion sizes. It makes sense to me, cause after observing the changes within my own body and psyche, since starting this diet, changes happen in some sort of cycles, as if body is gradually getting rid off the bad and then recovering, establishing a healthier mode of operating, in stages. It's quite an adventure to go through it all and learn what is a temporary or a true symptom, what is just a cleansing period, recognizing an old pattern (of many years of abusing our health) dying off. But one thing is certain - the fact how closely body & mind are connected was never more obvious to me...

Eat more fat, less lean meat, and almost zero carbs if you have gotten stuck on a plateau.

About the Stevia: I KNEW that stuff was evil!!! It just tastes SOOOO nasty to me!

Alice said:
It makes sense to me, cause after observing the changes within my own body and psyche, since starting this diet, changes happen in some sort of cycles, as if body is gradually getting rid off the bad and then recovering, establishing a healthier mode of operating, in stages. It's quite an adventure to go through it all and learn what is a temporary or a true symptom, what is just a cleansing period, recognizing an old pattern (of many years of abusing our health) dying off. But one thing is certain - the fact how closely body & mind are connected was never more obvious to me...

That's exactly what I was thinking about this morning: what an interesting project it is to find out exactly how your body works, what it likes, what the optimal fuel is, what makes you feel better - and to be able to do it without being driven by those god-awful cravings for this or that; to not be ruled by your food! Once you totally get rid of wheat and dairy for a long time, get plenty of fat in your body, things start to settle down and you can make experiments without going into some crash and burn cycle.

Yup. Transitioning and getting adapted to the basic diet framework really makes it possible to get down to the individual differences to fine tune it for each person. :)

Muxel said:
Thanks for the information.

Just what I need - more insulin. :(
It seems that anything sweet is bad for you, one way or another.

Endymion said:
I had a problem with xylitol, after having butter tea sweetened with it for a few days. I woke up one night feeling that my digestion was disturbed. I needed to evacuate my bowels quite urgently, and then all was well again. The xylitol I had been eating is made from birch trees. I'd been eating about half to one teaspoon per day. Since I stopped taking xylitol the problem has not recurred.

I've had really bad abdominal cramps and the worst bloating ever with xylitol, although I didn't check, at the time, the source of the xylitol. In any case it was enough to keep me a mile away from it ever since.

I tried stevia for the first time this Christmas and although I didn't notice any physical issues, I did not like, at all, to feel the long gone cravings returning. I think that the sweet taste just caused it, so I'm keeping well away from anything sweet, and am happy that way.

Laura said:
About the Stevia: I KNEW that stuff was evil!!! It just tastes SOOOO nasty to me!

Well, let's not jump to conclusions, here. It's a bit of a stretch to assume anything that stimulates insulin release is evil. Certain proteins cause insulin release, too, but we're hardly going to be swearing off of protein because of that. The real question is to what extent stevia causes an insulin response. It's also worth finding out how the insulin response of stevia compares to the insulin response of xylitol, or any other sweetener, if people are going to be using them.

I don't really use much stevia or xylitol (quite rarely, actually), but I'll use either one sparingly without any noticeable negative effects. I think it's likely that some people are just suited to one over the other, some can probably do neither and some, like me, seem fine with both.

dugdeep said:
Laura said:

Well, let's not jump to conclusions, here. It's a bit of a stretch to assume anything that stimulates insulin release is evil. Certain proteins cause insulin release, too, but we're hardly going to be swearing off of protein because of that. The real question is to what extent stevia causes an insulin response. It's also worth finding out how the insulin response of stevia compares to the insulin response of xylitol, or any other sweetener, if people are going to be using them.

I don't really use much stevia or xylitol (quite rarely, actually), but I'll use either one sparingly without any noticeable negative effects. I think it's likely that some people are just suited to one over the other, some can probably do neither and some, like me, seem fine with both.
Yeah, I've been using stevia pretty much every day in my vitamin C water for over a year now and not had any visible problems with it - and my weight has continued to drop consistently over that time. So, I'm not wholly convinced that it's bad. If I use too much xylitol (which for me means over one teaspoon a day) then I gain weight because I appear to be really carb sensitive and stevia doesn't make me gain weight, in fact I am still losing weight after a full year on this diet. So, I think the jury is still out on this.

anart said:
dugdeep said:
Laura said:

Yeah, I've been using stevia pretty much every day in my vitamin C water for over a year now and not had any visible problems with it - and my weight has continued to drop consistently over that time. So, I'm not wholly convinced that it's bad. If I use too much xylitol (which for me means over one teaspoon a day) then I gain weight because I appear to be really carb sensitive and stevia doesn't make me gain weight, in fact I am still losing weight after a full year on this diet. So, I think the jury is still out on this.

Same thing for me. I have no problem with stevia so far but I can not say the same thing for xylitol.

SeekinTruth said:
...As to an ice age, the only thing I think I'd really miss is taking showers if the infrastructure were to be eliminated -- which would be very likely. The rest, I think I'd be able to adjust to without much problem, but, of course, I'm not sure.

I doubt that I could survive (or that I would want to) without "infrastructure" because of my back problems. Different people, different perspectives.

When I see how we managed with 10 days of night's temperatures between -10°C and -18°C (A lot of people without tap water), I will say I'm not prepared for the Ice Age.

I just plain cannot use hardly any xylitol at all because of fairly bad intestinal cramping and, then, diarrhea. Stevia has never given me any noticeable problems.

I do use xylitol in my tooth "paste" and, I am guessing, because I'm not swallowing it, there is no problems with it.

On another note, I had to stop the black tea as if found out it started causing back pain. I now drink peppermint tea if I want something hot to drink and, so far, no problems.

Nienna Eluch said:
I just plain cannot use hardly any xylitol at all because of fairly bad intestinal cramping and, then, diarrhea. Stevia has never given me any noticeable problems.
My body also reacts this way if I consume xylitol. I've used pure stevia extract (KAL brand) for years and haven't noticed any issues.

Back
Top Bottom