"Life Without Bread"

Gawan

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
I too have quitted eating bread and i feel good. Instead of it, i eat oat meal every morning. If you need a replacement for bread, i'd recommend oat meal.
I don't think that oats and oat meal are the best recommendation since it contains another form of gluten as far as I can remember.

romochar

Jedi Master
In my experience, it has been very hard to stop bread, pasta and the likes. It has been nearly 2 years now but I used to dream of bread for a long time. Today, if I only eat a few slices of pizza, or a slice of pie, I get rashes on my legs very quickly and feel itching for hours. So, in my mind, I was somewhat "allergic" yet I was so used to eating that way that my body had adapted to the constant discomfort.

Meg

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I don't think that oats and oat meal are the best recommendation since it contains another form of gluten as far as I can remember.
It's called avenin.

From Mark Sisson:

The main problems with oats are the phytic acid and the avenin, a protein in the prolamine family (along with gluten from wheat, rye, and barley, and zein, from corn). As far as phytic acid (or phytate) goes, oats contain less than corn and brown rice but about the same amount as wheat. As you know from previous posts, phytate has the tendency to bind minerals and prevent their absorption. So, even if a grain is rich in minerals, the presence of phytate prevents their full absorption. Ingestion is not absorption, remember. As I understand it, you can, however, reduce or eliminate phytate by lactic fermentation. I’m not sure the degree to which phytate can be deactivated, but one study does show that consuming oats that underwent lactic fermentation resulted in increased iron absorption rather than reduced. Another source claims that simple soaking isn’t enough, since oats contain no phytase, which breaks down phytate. Instead, you’d have to incorporate a phytase-containing flour to do the work; a couple tablespoons of buckwheat appear to be an effective choice for that. Combining both lactic acid bacteria (whey, kefir, or yogurt), companion flour (buckwheat), water, and a warm room should take care of most of the phytate… but that’s a lot of work!

Avenin appears to have some of the same problems as gluten in certain sensitive individuals, although it doesn’t appear as if the problem is widespread or as serious. Kids with celiac disease produced oat avenin antibodies at a higher rate than kids without celiac, but neither group was on a gluten-free diet. When you put celiacs on a gluten-free diet, they don’t appear to show higher levels of avenin antibodies. It looks like once you remove gluten, other, potentially damaging proteins become far less dangerous. One study did find that some celiacs “failed” an oats challenge. Celiac patients ate certified gluten-free oats (quick note: oats are often cross-contaminated with gluten, so if you’re going to experiment with oats, make sure they’re certified gluten-free), and several showed signs of intestinal permeability, with one patient suffering all-out villous atrophy, or breakdown of the intestinal villi. A few out of nineteen patients doesn’t sound too bad, but it shows that there’s a potential for cross-reactivity.
Mark's Daily Apple: Are Oats Healthy?

Stella Marys

The Force is Strong With This One
In our family we take this process gradually. We are introducing more fats into the diet. The sensitive issue is "living without bread" here is where there is greater resistance but requires awareness and above all WILL.

I have already bought buckwheat and I am finding out about ways to consume it. We feel that it bothers us to consume carbohydrates. When we walk down the street and run into bakeries and confectioneries we feel a sense of rejection and there is no longer that "temptation" to enter and consume. (Even my 19 year old daughter comments: "drug" ;-D) She is costing a little bit of sugar. But we are working together for this change.

Dairy products no longer exist in our diet. Just butter. Fruits and vegetables are also being gradually reduced.

The good thing about this change of diet is that, as soon as one becomes aware and begins to apply in the process there is a kind of acceleration and each step that one takes, changing habits, it becomes difficult to turn back. The mechanism is always growing.

In practice we are seeing the benefits! We still have a long way to go!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

En nuestra familia llevamos este proceso paulatinamente. Estamos introduciendo más grasas en la alimentación. El tema sensible es "vivir sin pan" aquí es donde hay mayor resistencia pero requiere de toma de conciencia y sobretodo VOLUNTAD.

Ya compré trigo sarraceno y me estoy informando sobre formas de consumirlo. Sentimos que nos molesta consumir carbohidratos. Cuando caminamos por la calle y nos topamos con panaderías y confiterías sentimos una sensación de rechazo y ya no existe aquella "tentación" de entrar y consumir. ( incluso mi hija de 19 años comenta: "droga";-D ) A ella le está costando un poco el azúcar. Pero estamos trabajando en conjunto para este cambio.

Los lácteos ya no existen en nuestra dieta. Solo manteca. En cuanto a frutas y verduras también se están reduciendo paulatinamente.

Lo bueno de este cambio de alimentación es que, en cuanto uno toma conciencia y empieza a aplicarse en el proceso se produce una especie de aceleración y cada paso que uno da, cambiando hábitos, se hace difícil volver atrás. Es siempre creciente el mecanismo.

En la práctica estamos comprobando los beneficios!Todavía nos queda camino por recorrer!

Top Bottom