"Life Without Bread"

Laura said:
The following seems to be the step that everyone has been missing - at least probably those who are having problems transitioning. There are some things in this bit that surprised me.

Thank you so much for these quotes Laura, quite a few things hit home for me. This was extremely helpful, particularly the advice on digestion. I'll start straight on with her advice of smaller meals, as I notice that bigger meals can make me bloated and constipated for days, and be careful with the amount of fat, as too much of it at once also results in more bloating, more constipation.
This quote may be relevant for those of us experiencing nausea:

Important note: The one notable exception here is a person who may be experiencing gallbladder symptoms (gallbladder attacks, including aching pain under the right side of the rib cage, especially pain to the touch, or nausea at meals), in which case this should be dealt with cautiously, and a low-fat diet may be entirely appropriate until the issue is resolved. Consult with a qualified health care provider. Remember, don't be a hero and don't push it. Listen to your body.

In short, suggestion is that if too much fat is causing nausea, then decrease it a little for a while. I have been doing that lately and avoiding extra fats during meals, my abdominal cramps from splenic flexure syndrome (see _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenic_flexure_syndrome for clarification) and nausea are basically gone, so that tells me I'm heading in the right direction and just approaching the whole high fat diet a little bit more gradually and carefully so as to give my digestive system time to heal and adjust.

I'm also going to try having 2 capsules of enzymes as suggested instead of 1, as with 1 I noticed no difference whatsoever.

There is one thing that made me confused though, right at the beginning of the first quote the author says:
Proline-rich polypeptides from bovine colostrum and whole, minimally processed, grass-fed, organic bovine colostrurn can also be of tremendous benefit in restoring heaithy gastrointestinal integrity and immune function over time. There are more than nine thousand studies showing grass-fed bovine colostrum's potentially key role in restoring gastrointestinal integrity.

Isn't colostrum a form of milk, and in that sense, dairy?

Kniall said:
Yikes, Ecover 'green' cleaning products contain gluten!

Oh no!....all my products are Ecover green...

Laura said:
I want to testify that I haven't used shampoo or soap on my hair in about 4 months after Shelleycheval told me her regimen. It really works. My hair stopped falling out in handfuls. I just use a conditioner and a plastic head scrubbie to loosen anything on the scalp, rinse copiously, and voila!

I'd really like to try this, I had been following the glycerin soap thread (that psalehesost linked) and have been wanting to do it ever since. However, I work with people and my job involves very close physical proximity, those 4 to 6 months of greasy oily hair are what's keeping me from doing it... so far, if I spend a only a few days without shampooing my hair, you don't want to get near me.
Don't know how to solve this one yet.

Hello!

I´m not eating Bread and Dairys anymore. I lost a lot of weight but it is very difficult to me no eating sugar. I need sugar but I know is very bad. Yesterday I ate a lot of sugar and today in the morning my hands were in pain. I have arthritis since 4 years ago. I think today was a signal and I need to stop eating sugar but it is difficult.

Thanks!

Gertrudes said:
those 4 to 6 months of greasy oily hair are what's keeping me from doing it... so far, if I spend a only a few days without shampooing my hair, you don't want to get near me.

I think it's four to six weeks, not months.

clau said:
Hello!

I´m not eating Bread and Dairys anymore. I lost a lot of weight but it is very difficult to me no eating sugar. I need sugar but I know is very bad. Yesterday I ate a lot of sugar and today in the morning my hands were in pain. I have arthritis since 4 years ago. I think today was a signal and I need to stop eating sugar but it is difficult.

Thanks!

It is very difficult because it is an addiction - but to be pain free, you have to do it. You simply must make the decision to stop and stop. The first four to five days are the worst, then it gets easy!

Laura said:
I want to testify that I haven't used shampoo or soap on my hair in about 4 months after Shelleycheval told me her regimen. It really works. My hair stopped falling out in handfuls. I just use a conditioner and a plastic head scrubbie to loosen anything on the scalp, rinse copiously, and voila!

I was just checking my conditioners (I try to rotate them) and sure enough, found one with "wheat protein" in it. Into the trash it went. I've got the magnifying glass in the bathroom now and will be reading labels carefully from now on!

Wow... I can finally confess. I have not shampooed regularly in 4 or 5 years. Before that, I had to use strong dandruff shampoo to avoid dry scalp and itchiness. It was working less and less. Then, I heard that the natural oils on the scalp readjust themselves if you avoid shampoo for a time. It actually worked. I have however short hair. I think I would have to do something other than my normal vigorous rubbing if I had long hair.

anart said:
Gertrudes said:
those 4 to 6 months of greasy oily hair are what's keeping me from doing it... so far, if I spend a only a few days without shampooing my hair, you don't want to get near me.

I didn't have any period with greasy hair. But that's me, other might have a different experience.

Yeah, I haven't used shampoo for more than three years. And I also didn't have a period of greasy hair. Actually when I was using shampoo, if I didn't wash my hair for 3 days, it would clearly start getting greasy. Now with no shampoo, I wash my hair average every 2 to 3 days and it doesn't get greasy even on the third day before I wash it in the shower.

Gertrudes said:
There is one thing that made me confused though, right at the beginning of the first quote the author says:
Proline-rich polypeptides from bovine colostrum and whole, minimally processed, grass-fed, organic bovine colostrurn can also be of tremendous benefit in restoring heaithy gastrointestinal integrity and immune function over time. There are more than nine thousand studies showing grass-fed bovine colostrum's potentially key role in restoring gastrointestinal integrity.

Isn't colostrum a form of milk, and in that sense, dairy?

Yes, it is a form of milk but very different from milk that is produced later. When I was going through detox etc back in late 2008 and early 2009, I took this in capsule form. Andromeda was given it for gut healing after her ordeal with MMS, and Atriedes also has taken it for gut healing after his emergency back during the Christmas/New Year holidays. My understanding of it was that certain elements are precipitated from the colostrum and it is okay. We used the "Lactoferrin" type rather than just straight colostrum. I did hear that colostrum is not okay for people with lactase intolerance, which is why I chose the lactoferrin.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactoferrin

Oh,

A few short excerpts of interest from "Primal Body, Primal Mind":

... up to 70 percent of our immune system resides in our gut. The mucosal layer - single cell in thickness - serves as the veil ffor the gut-associated lymphatic tissue (GALT). It is the first line of defense in our immune system... clusters of cells there, known as Peyer's patches, along with secretory IgA, which is located in the mucosa (and also protects the surface of lung tissue) are the sentinels that alert bot T cells and B cells to possible invasion by unwanted antigens and microbes.

95% of all serotonin production in the body lies not in the brain, but in the gut. The gut, in fact, has even more neurons than the brain!

Stress, excessively low or high cortisol levels, infection, and poor diet can strip secretory IgA from the gut and lungs, rendering them extremely vulnerable.

The primary food for enterocytes (the cells of the small intestine) is the amino acid L-glutamine. Supplementation along with diet can enhance and help facilitate more rapid regeneration of eroded gastrointestinal mucosa and depleted secretory IgA levels, though this can still take time.

{This is the supplement that we have used a lot in our gut healing process though we don't use it much anymore. Both Atriedes and Andromeda took it daily for several months. It is even accepted in mainstream medicine as the supplement that heals the intestines.}

Most of us carry three to four pounds of bacteria in our gut at any given time. ... These bacteria help convert fiber and other indigestible material into usable nutrients.

{I'm not sure that indigestible fiber ever gets converted into usable nutrients. See "Fiber menace" for a better discussion of this. Also, when you go low carb/low fiber, you actually lose pounds of bacteria that generally sit in your intestines and are fermenting indigestible fibers, causing gas and bloating, etc.}

The small intestine, unlike the large intestine, is not meant to be colonized by bacteria. Bacterial growth here commonly (but not always) accompanies issues with gluten sensitivity and is strongly associated with IBS symptoms (particularly gas and bloating). In high enough amounts these bacteria can also generate acids that result in neurological and cognitive symptoms.

In some (not all) cases - mainly those with celiac disease - bacterial colonies in the small intestine seem to involve rod-shaped strains never before even found in humans. One possible explanation could be the growing prevalence of genetically modified foods.

Patience said:
Laura said:

I was just checking my conditioners (I try to rotate them) and sure enough, found one with "wheat protein" in it. Into the trash it went. I've got the magnifying glass in the bathroom now and will be reading labels carefully from now on!

Wow... I can finally confess. I have not shampooed regularly in 4 or 5 years. Before that, I had to use strong dandruff shampoo to avoid dry scalp and itchiness. It was working less and less. Then, I heard that the natural oils on the scalp readjust themselves if you avoid shampoo for a time. It actually worked. I have however short hair. I think I would have to do something other than my normal vigorous rubbing if I had long hair.

Make that another, re avoiding using shampoo for several years, ditto conditioner too - just wash with warm water daily. :) I do have naturally greasy hair though, as my pillows show! :)

anart said:
Gertrudes said:

Thanks anart. Funny how I read it months the first time I read that thread, and now even with Shellycheval's post quoted here I kept reading months instead of weeks...it goes to say how one sees what one is expecting to...
I may try that when I take some longer holidays then.

Laura said:
Yes, it is a form of milk but very different from milk that is produced later. When I was going through detox etc back in late 2008 and early 2009, I took this in capsule form. Andromeda was given it for gut healing after her ordeal with MMS, and Atriedes also has taken it for gut healing after his emergency back during the Christmas/New Year holidays. My understanding of it was that certain elements are precipitated from the colostrum and it is okay. We used the "Lactoferrin" type rather than just straight colostrum. I did hear that colostrum is not okay for people with lactase intolerance, which is why I chose the lactoferrin.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactoferrin

Thanks for that Laura, will give lactoferrin a try as well.

Take heart Gertrudes and everyone who wants better hair.

There is no reason to have greasy hair at anytime during the process of quitting shampoo (or any hair cleanser with any version of sodium Laural Sulfate in it).

Because you do not stop cleaning your hair--you just stop cleaning it with shampoo.

Begin eliminating the use of shampoo by finding a good conditioner, ideally something with minimal harmful chemicals (Google organic hair care products for info) but almost any conditioner will do to start.

Clean/wash your hair every day with the conditioner.

The oils in the conditioner are solvent to the excess oils produced by your scalp from stripping it of its natural protection all those years with shampoo, and will clean your hair beautifully.

You will have clean, grease free hair every day.

After a few weeks of cleaning your hair daily with conditioner, most people can cut back and clean the hair every other day with the same results--glossy shiny, strong hair with no frizz.

Eventually most people find 2-3 times a week are enough depending on your activities. I work outside everyday in the summer heat so find every day or every other day cleaning is needed, while in cooler, dryer weather cleaning with conditioner 2-3 times a week is enough--in between I clean my hair by scrubbing my scalp with my hands in the shower using water alone.

Remember--you do not stop cleaning your hair; you change what you are cleaning your hair with.
We have been brainwashed to equate "shampooing" with cleaning in general and think that to stop using shampoo will mean greasy hair and this is not true. Good luck and Good hair! :D
shellycheval

Laura said:
HOWEVER, big caveat: The author cops out at the end and contradicts everything she says at the beginning by promoting veggies. It's bizarre. There she is, making the case for PALEO, the real deal, and then just jumps off the ship! She says we need "fiber" to detox. BS. All fiber does is back you up and cause the body to reabsorb stuff while it is slowed down through the colon.

We actually thought we had found a book that covered everything but apparently not.

The subject of high-fiber veggies actually comes up much earlier. I am reading the book as quickly as I can, given my work situation. I am behind in forum messages but I am trying to at least keep up with this one topic. Figure 1-4, "Average Contemporary Hunter-Gatherer Nutrient Intake" (Eaton et al. 1997) shows a daily paleolithic fiber intake of 50-104 grams/day, compared with a contemporary RDA of 25-35 g/d (my working figure was 24-25, so I'm not sure where that came from), and a US intake of 10 g/d. I got pretty sick on 25, and 50-104 sounds like a lethal dose to me.

I don't know exactly what this is supposed to mean -- I am only on chapter 2 -- but I have given up on finding any book that offers a complete view. I am afraid that any author that even attempted to do that would, at best, not be able to find a publisher and at worst would be removed as a threat. Actually, this is among the first books I have read that squarely finger the problem (from a 3D perspective) with statements like this (in regard to genetic susceptibility):

Primal Body said:
...By keeping the public focused on the all-importance of genes themselves, the message conveyed to us is one of a basically predetermined helplessness, except through the possibilities afforded by modern medical technology (and its funding thereof). Poppycock. Those with vested interests in keeping you hostage to the illusion of your own inner “genetic threat” would rather you weren’t aware of the fact that there is no drug anywhere that can regulate genetic expression better or more powerfully than your diet can.

As I read, though, I am reviewing the themes of my earlier life, and again and again I run into the theme of the "plausible lie." There are two points in particular where I seemed to have been thoroughly derailed by such lies. The first was when (as a pre-teen) I became involved with a religious cult that was very adept at accurately pointing out errors in popular Christian religious beliefs while weaving in a whole new set of lies. The second was when I was exiting that cult (for the second time--I just couldn't get enough of it) and was taken in by similar tactics coming from religious vegans. This time the lies that I fell for were about diet and health.

Primal Body, Primal Mind, The Vegetarian Myth, and other books I have been reading have served to expose the extent of the web of lies. (Ironically, the latter book helped confirm some of the truths that the cult had been presenting.) Until now I have had no idea how much I was still being influenced, even though I had supposedly moved on. We have to be constantly vigilant about these pervasive, well-crafted lies emanating, apparently, from 4D STS. And so I don't expect any book to be complete.

One particular theme I have been seeing in this book and probably in a few others recently, is the idea that humans are biologically the same as they were 40,000 years ago (or pick your own number). I am sure that it is true in many ways, but I am not sure that it is true. In fact I am pretty sure it is not. It's not enough time for a new species to have emerged, but there have been adaptations. Given what we are doing to ourselves under the influence of our overlords we are, I would guess, evolving backward now, into a weaker, "tastier" species (paralleling the evolution of domestic cattle?), which may help sustain the illusion that we are not evolving.

I am learning a lot as I read, but part of the lesson is to read critically. As I come into more and more of the information I have been searching for, I know I have to be ever more alert for the portion of the material that is there to confuse and divert.

There was another quote I wanted to include but couldn't find earlier. This is the first written mention I have seen (that I can recall) that advertisers stand in the way of people's access to vital health information. I have said it myself many times, but I don't think I have ever read it anywhere.

Primal Body said:
Today, there are billions upon billions of dollars—from government agencies, medical-establishment interests, the pharmaceutical industry, organizations such as the American Heart Association, and, let’s not forget, the ever-popular food industry—all invested in the perpetuation of the antisaturated fat and anticholesterol agenda. This sordid history is well documented, though poorly publicized, as the media are beholden to their corporate advertisers.

The problem isn't just that people are eating bad food that makes them sick and kills them. There is a deadly silence surrounding the subject, seemingly one of many deadly silences we have today in this era of global electronic communication.

Back
Top Bottom