Lightning strikes on people more common?

Joe

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
In the last 8 weeks in the US alone:

Struck by lightning in Georgia, one dies, two injured

Motorcyclist found confused after being hit by lightning bolt

Man killed by lightning strike in South Florida; friends badly burned

2 dead, 3 injured in Kentucky farm lightning strike

Dozen soldiers hit by lightning in Colorado

Two dead, one injured in Arizona lightning strike

9 People Struck By Lightning Near Wellington

I'm not sure if this number in the time period is anything out of the ordinary, it just seems to me that I've been seeing a lot of these kind of stories lately, and I suppose it's hard to tell if people are being hit more often because a lot probably go unreported.

For reference:

According to the 2008 annual Lightning Detection Conference, an estimated 24,000 people are killed by lightning strikes around the world each year and about 240,000 are injured. According to the NOAA, over the last 20 years, the United States averaged 51 annual lightning strike fatalities. According to this site, men are killed by lightning four-times more often than women. Statistically, males account for 84 percent of all lightning related deaths.

Have a look at the video here:

http://www.sott.net/article/266352-Violent-lightning-strike-caught-on-Tennessee-security-camera

If this is lightning, shouldn't there be a flash? Something clearly hits the ground, so the lack of flash can't be explained by it hitting the tree(s).

The big question..... Is this lightning being attracted to certain areas due to the psychic energy being generated in those areas?

What other things may be attracted, rocks of ice?

l apprenti de forgeron said:
Thanks Perceval for the good re-collection of this data.

I second that. There was some stuff on the mechanics of the phenomenon i didn't know. When these things occur investigators must really struggle to make accurate determinations, i mean gunshot wounds? Blunt force trauma? Sexual assault?! Lightning to the forehead sounds real grim. :(

Perceval said:
According to the 2008 annual Lightning Detection Conference, an estimated 24,000 people are killed by lightning strikes around the world each year and about 240,000 are injured. According to the NOAA, over the last 20 years, the United States averaged 51 annual lightning strike fatalities. According to this site, men are killed by lightning four-times more often than women. Statistically, males account for 84 percent of all lightning related deaths.

There is a site with all kind of maps (_http://www.slightlywarped.com/crapfactory/curiosities/2013/august/maps_that_will_change.htm#.UjIquDDlgEA.facebook) and it has the following map of average number of lightning strikes around the world.

maps_offer_a_different_perspective_on_understanding_the_world_we_live_in_640_33.jpg

Perceval said:
If this is lightning, shouldn't there be a flash? Something clearly hits the ground, so the lack of flash can't be explained by it hitting the tree(s).

Maybe the camera missed the flash since it is a security camera? I don't know, but that did look really weird without a flash.

This is very strange indeed. It reminds me of an old movie called Powder.His mom was struck and killed by lightning on the way to give birth and he was saved. He was albino and attracted lighting all his life. He even attracted a plasma ball in science class that levitated him. Some type of electrical signature frequency I guess.

@ Daenerys:

Yup! One of my favorite movies and note that
Powder was a very, very avid bookworm! Reminds
me of someone here! Riddle: A she and not a he! ;)
OSIT!

dant said:
@ Daenerys:

Yup! One of my favorite movies and note that
Powder was a very, very avid bookworm! Reminds
me of someone here! Riddle: A she and not a he! ;)
OSIT!

One of my very favorite movies of all times. Especially the scene where he took that deer hunter who had shot the deer and transduced how the deer was feeling to him and opened his eyes to have empathy. The end where he disappeared in the storm with the lighting was phenomenal.

For anyone interested - full movie is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHh1108IRGU

Thanks for sharing and recommending this nice little movie. It has drama of the gifted child written all over it. Going into the light, indeed. Wonderful. :)

Perceval said:

There is, I took a screenshot... there's seem to be no way to preview the attachment, so I hope this works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 9.57.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-16 at 9.57.38 PM.png
    195.3 KB · Views: 25
Also note the lamp post is exploding at the base at the same time, so clearly it is striking the ground from multiple paths.

The big question..... Is this lightning being attracted to certain areas due to the psychic energy being generated in those areas?

What other things may be attracted, rocks of ice?
I was talking to my Chinese friend about prospecting for rare earth metals, other than Gold. He said that people would often get struck and killed by lightning in certain areas of China. Trying to solve this mystery, scientifically, they discovered huge deposits of rare earth metals.

Back
Top Bottom