Like Stories of Old : Meditations on Stoicism

Alejo

Ambassador
Ambassador
FOTCM Member
HI everyone,

I wasn't entirely sure if it was entirely adequate to share these videos here or in another board, but since it's dealing with some of the ideas presented in the MindMatters: Epictetus: Epic Wisdom, Roman Stoic Style. I figured it would be a good place to share them as some of them are deeply tied to the Work that most of us have to undergo.

I have shared items from this channel before, and he really does a wonderful job at presenting the information, I think it's a great introduction to some of the ideas of stoicism that were discussed in greater depth in the MindMatters show, the material on Paul, and some of the ideas from Jordan Peterson and even the C's.

Here's the first one:

The Stoic Philosophy of The Shawshank Redemption, presented in a few brief meditations based on the writings by Marcus Aurelius, Seneca, Epictetus and Chrysippus.

This one he talks about the nature of things, the cyclical nature of what is in front of our eyes and how we live, depends on our attitude about that nature of things, particularly about what is within our control and what isn't. He speaks about the inevitability of certain things, other's actions who might even determine our fate, put us in danger and so on, but we can determine how to react to those things that are outside of our control.

I liked one quote he used " living virtuously is equal to living in accordance with one's experience of the actual course of nature", It reminded me of the idea of archetypes and the names of god, and what one aligns oneself with and how that may change the attitude one has about the things which one can't control. This allows one to see things as they are and not as one wishes them to be, without passing judgement upon them.

He also said something rather interesting, about enjoyment, at some point he says that it's not about removing any judgement from life, it's about the appropriate reaction and the acceptance of what things are. I liked how he presented it by saying that we can enjoy music without wishing it would never end.

Then he talks about purpose, and how there's a difference between realizing that one has no power over a lot of things, but this doesn't mean one should simply be a passive passenger of life without exercising any influence in our lives. And how that is the key to living, to continuously learn how to live because chances are we don't know this, we weren't born knowing how to live, but if we realize this then we may learn how to live purposefully and virtuously.

Here's the second one:

Video essay on the stoic philosophy of Gladiator, presented in a few brief meditations based on the writings by Marcus Aurelius, Seneca, and Epictetus.

On this one he focuses on the choice, the everyday choice that we can make, not to deny the presence of emotions or emotional reactions to what happens, but to still choose. And this is a very interesting concept because if you're not choosing what to do after what happened to you, you are really not choosing at all, you are whatever reaction takes place by default or by accident. And it reminded me of that one idea from Gurdjieff where he spoke about how a decent man will remain decent even if you are indecent to him.

He adds this quote by Marcus Aurelios to highlight something crucial "Nothing ever happens to man by nature that he's not fitted to bear", I think that while this may sound like an empty motivational notion, it's rather deep and it contains truth, if something has not killed you, then you can bear it and so dwelling on the tragedy of misfortune helps no one, specially you or the person you wish to become, and those around you.

He also expands a little on the need for external validation, seeking self worth outside of ourselves. He uses the villain of the movie to highlight how you can be the emperor of Rome but feel yourself like a slave if you're constantly seeking external validation. Something that never comes and it's impossible to attain, and it steals you from reality.

Then he talks about will and freedom, even when in chains and on friendship and he made a very nice remark:"Remember that if you want a true friend, you must be one yourself"and I think this is a very good way to describe the role of a network in personal work, and the role of the person in the proper working of a network, they need to coexist.

And then he ends with a few very ideas about our mortality, and how this should not deprive us of purpose for our actions in life, on the contrary, things will go and they will end and so will we. But this makes our time here crucial for (as he says) "what we do echoes in eternity".

Truly enjoyable video essays.

For you (universe) all things come back. Your current activity according to nature. How close it looks theoretically and how far away in action, but there it is and has always been, in communion internally and externally.

There are interesting things, thanks for sharing, Alejo. How about something like this with respect to your intention to create videos? @SunEterna

In the same vein, I leave this video that talks about the hero's journey. Although to understand it better, you should watch the series. It will not be a mere distraction. It makes me think about the signs through artistic forms.

Back
Top Bottom