Massage and Bodywork

manitoban said:
Laura said:
I'm glad the dizziness was mentioned. I had a rolfing session today - feet and legs - and afterward, felt dizzy (vertigo) nauseous, and generally disoriented. Haven't had that happen before. I'm still feeling spaced out.

After my first rolfing session I also felt disoriented, spacey, and quite exhausted. I still felt tired and weepy for several days afterwards. I haven't had that happen since then, and the last few sessions I've found to be quite exhilarating and my mood is great when I finish the session.

I'm also definitely noticing that I'm beginning to hold my body differently, my posture is improving, and overall am feeling more grounded and somehow more stable in my body.

I'm halfway through the series now, and can highly recommend it. Especially for those of us like myself who tend to be much more mentally focused than physical, it's been a real eye opener to be paying attention and becoming more aware of my body. To me it feels like this is another big piece of the puzzle, a form of therapy that I haven't really explored before that is really having a big impact.

Absolutely. I'm finding it a great experience in being able to open up and be vulnerable. I felt very sad after my 5th session.

Yesterday I had the 6th, and I'm definitely noticing improvements. It was very exhausting but I felt great after it, like I was seeing the world like a child again. It also completely got rid of the inflammation up the right side of my neck&face that I had for about 5 days after a hiking trip.

I'm starting to feel a lot more solid and at home in my body, and I agree I could not recommend it enough, especially if you're "man number three". Also been having a lot of intense dreams, last night I had my teeth ripped out by a Nazi doctor :shock:

I'm currently reading "Job's Body - A Handbook for Bodywork" by Deane Juhan. Very interesting read so far.

Here are the primary themes in this book in a nutshell (from the foreword by Dr. Ken Dychtwald):

- Without adequate tactile input, the human organism will die. Touch is one of the principal elements necessary for the successful development and functional organization of the central nervous system, and is vital to our existence as food, water, and breath.

- Our genetic blueprints are only the starting point of our individual development. The kind of conditioning we receive and the kinds of conscious choices we make play tremendous roles in our physical growth, our acquisition of skills, our health and maturity, and our aging

- All our body's tissues are, then, a great deal more "plastic" and responsive to change and improvement throughout our lifetimes than we normally assume. Far from being "fixed" and "determined" by our biological inheritance, we are all still "works in progress."

- There is no sensation or emotion that is not translated into a muscular response of some kind; these feeling states are the primary bases of our habitual postures and our individual patterns of behavior.

- Bodywork, by using tactile input, can actually re-educate and re-program the organism into becoming more coordinated, more flexible, and more appropriately responsive - literally more "intelligent". A body/mind system that is integrated in this fashion will be more able to resist depression or disease, more able to attend to and repair itself in times of stress or injury.

- Various ancient and contemporary forms of bodywork go far beyond temporary pleasure or relief and actually alter conditioned responses, chemical balances, and structural relationships. That is, bodywork has the potential to deeply change and improve the given state of an individual.

- Nothing is more essential to lasting positive change than self-awareness; it is the prerequisite for self-control. Bodywork is a direct and effective way to increase this awareness within an individual.

Spiral Out said:
I'm currently reading "Job's Body - A Handbook for Bodywork" by Deane Juhan. Very interesting read so far.

Here are the primary themes in this book in a nutshell (from the foreword by Dr. Ken Dychtwald):

- Without adequate tactile input, the human organism will die. Touch is one of the principal elements necessary for the successful development and functional organization of the central nervous system, and is vital to our existence as food, water, and breath.

- Our genetic blueprints are only the starting point of our individual development. The kind of conditioning we receive and the kinds of conscious choices we make play tremendous roles in our physical growth, our acquisition of skills, our health and maturity, and our aging

- All our body's tissues are, then, a great deal more "plastic" and responsive to change and improvement throughout our lifetimes than we normally assume. Far from being "fixed" and "determined" by our biological inheritance, we are all still "works in progress."

- There is no sensation or emotion that is not translated into a muscular response of some kind; these feeling states are the primary bases of our habitual postures and our individual patterns of behavior.

- Bodywork, by using tactile input, can actually re-educate and re-program the organism into becoming more coordinated, more flexible, and more appropriately responsive - literally more "intelligent". A body/mind system that is integrated in this fashion will be more able to resist depression or disease, more able to attend to and repair itself in times of stress or injury.

- Various ancient and contemporary forms of bodywork go far beyond temporary pleasure or relief and actually alter conditioned responses, chemical balances, and structural relationships. That is, bodywork has the potential to deeply change and improve the given state of an individual.

- Nothing is more essential to lasting positive change than self-awareness; it is the prerequisite for self-control. Bodywork is a direct and effective way to increase this awareness within an individual.

Thank you Spiral Out to pointed this out. Its exactly how I see it. I am ordering the book right now.

Here's a "trailer" of my bodywork. I'm working on blueberry. Filmed by the talented HumbertoLVX. 9min from a 90min session in my new healing room at our home in Topanga.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHXMAxG1FyE

Spiral Out said:
Here's a "trailer" of my bodywork. I'm working on blueberry. Filmed by the talented HumbertoLVX. 9min from a 90min session in my new healing room at our home in Topanga.

Thanks for that Spiral Out - that looked so good, I could almost feel it!

Spiral Out said:

I can feel you Spiral Out and totally relate to your approach. In this way and attitude, in my humble opinion, all the massages should be done no matter what technique is involved. Simply beautiful. Respect.

Spiral Out said:

Sorry, I'm just being curious here, but why is the client completely naked? I've been a client myself, as well as participating in some body work courses, and I've never experienced that the underwear would be removed completely. Maybe it's just a cultural thing?

Aragorn said:
Spiral Out said:

Sorry, I'm just being curious here, but why is the client completely naked? I've been a client myself, as well as participating in some body work courses, and I've never experienced that the underwear would be removed completely. Maybe it's just a cultural thing?

It could be...What I experience is this, that usually people from the east ( Chinese, Japanese,..) don't have any problem with nakedness and western, civilized people needed very subtile approach.

I also often find out that people have very different programming about nakedness and touch in general. You can deal with people who have the problems already when you touch their shoulders but on the other hand, you have people who are naked before you notes. ;)

When the approach is right is no problem to deal with any of the above situations. It's simple as that.

« Reply #48 of Spiral Out on: Yesterday at 09:30:59 PM »

---------------------------------- ------------------------------------ ----------------------------------
Congratulation for your work, Spiral Out.
Good video and cameraman work is very effective. Looks like a professional movie sequence.

Aragorn said:
Spiral Out said:

Hi Aragorn. Not sure about the "cultural thing", but this is how most massages are done, naked and draped in sheets, at least in my experience. About 95% of my clients remove all their clothes (male and female) before they go on the table and under the sheet. It's the normal thing to do in order to get the most out of the massage, especially when working on the hip and gluteal muscles. This is also what is taught at state approved massage schools where I was trained and certified.

When I see a client who is new to massage and he/she asks me how much to undress, I tell him/her that it up to them and how comfortable they feel about undressing. Some then take all cloths off, some leave their underwear on, but all women take off their bras. I never tell anyone to take all clothes off. It's up to them, but most of them do it anyway. If someone leaves their underwear on I still do hip/gluteal work, but it is restricted and I work more with pressure points and can't go very deep. Also the flow is missing a bit, but I can and do work around it.

I'm also very careful with the sheet draping and no private parts or breasts are being exposed at any time during the massage. Draping is an art in itself, especially with all the modalities I incorporate, but I've become quite skilful about that over years.

It's also about the therapeutic touch so the client feels safe. Most of my clientele is female and in the 10 years I have practiced massage, I've never had a client complaining about the draping or feeling unsafe. The contrary, all my clients feel very safe with me and appreciate the work I do.

I actually have some long-time regular female clients who ask me to work on their chest (rip cage and pectoralis muscles) without any draping in order to do more efficient work. This kind of work I've been taught at the massage schools I went to as well. We were shown how to do it with a drape and without one over the chest. There has never been an awkward moment or "sexual" thing coming up. It's all about anatomy and structure, and that's what I'm focused on.

I went through the 10 Rolfing series twice and I was always naked when the rolfer worked on me. His clientele is also mixed, some prefer to leave clothes on, others do it naked and with drapes. It's really a personal preference and no one is being judged or treated differently either way.

I also work part-time a retreat center. People from all over the world come to this place to get in shape and I provide bodywork. Same there, about 95% or more of the guests take all their clothes of when getting a massage and there is no question or awkwardness about it. Actually I can't remember the last time someone left their underwear on and I work on a lot of bodies. I really don't know about the "cultural thing" because these people come from Europe, Asia, South America, Canada, Australia, Russia, Scandinavia, and all over the US, etc......ranging from 21 to 80 years old (most of them are 35-65).

As we know, our society is deeply conditioned, and that includes the way we feel about our bodies and the shame that comes with it of being seen "naked". It's not about becoming hedonistic and running around naked, but accepting our natural body as it is without shame in a healthy and respectful manner. Massage and bodywork can help to heal our distorted body image and make us feel good in our bodies, accepting this "space suite" as the temple of our soul, so to speak. I've seen many clients over the years who have had breakthroughs in that regard and healed themselves from various diseases (physical, emotional, psychological) by connecting with their body through nurturing therapeutic touch during a full body massage. Our body image is very fragmented and not holistic or whole. We have names for bodyparts (and some parts we like and others we don't based on all kinds of strange criteria that are different for each) and different muscles, but the truth is that nothing is isolated. That's the basic idea behind Rolfing and Esalen Massage (a massage style that uses long full body strokes, giving a sense of wholeness) for example. The body should be approached as a whole organism without dividing it into parts in order to activate the body's own intelligence so it can essentially heal itself. One big thing to keep in mind is that the skin is literally the surface of the brain. I wrote about it in an article on my website:

[...]One important fact to point out is that the skin is the largest organ of the body and it is literally the surface of the brain. Arising out of the same Germ Layer on pre-embryonic development (the Ectoderm), skin and brain migrate to opposite ends of our physical structure, one at the surface, the other buried by layers of connective tissue, bone and muscle. As if recognizing its own importance and vulnerability, the brain shields itself within the organism, while the skin and nervous tissues, all arising from the Ectoderm, extend the brains reach to our physical periphery.

The significance of the brain/skin relationship is one of the most important developmental, as well as physiological relationship to understand. Developmentally, the sensations which the skin mediates to the brain orient its growth in a very direct way. A lack of sensory stimulation in the first five months of life can impede central nervous development to the point of mental retardation and even death.

This was a lesson learned in orphanages in the early 1900's, when infant mortality rates (about 90%) prompted Johns Hopkins University to research the problem. What they discovered was that infants were starving from lack of touch, because staff had barely enough time to feed and cloth the infants in their charge. As staffing was increased with the intention of holding, cuddling and physically playing with these children, mortality rates reversed from 9 in 10, to 1 in 10.

Touch is in fact food. With regards to bodywork and massage, skin to skin contact, when slowly and sensitively applied, is as vital to our development as mothers milk. The limitless potential for stimulating natural healing process through bodywork can be better understood in that context.[...]

There is a book called "Touching - The Human Significance of the Skin" as well as "Job's Body - A Handbook for Bodywork" which go deeper into this topic. I posted some excerpts from them earlier in this thread. I recommend reading these books if you want to learn more about that.

Thanks for the refreshing perspectives about nakedness. I sense tha we native Finns have excessive shyness and "shame" what comes to being naked in front of others. I'm not sure where this comes from, but it would be worth looking into.

ADDED: I just asked my wife how she felt about this thing. She said that she could think of being naked if the therapist could explain why this is absolutely necessary, and that she would have to trust him/her completely, too. But otherwise, she would not feel comfortable with the idea of being completely naked, even with draping.

Have spend much time discussing and reading about massage work and techniques because this is what my SO does for a living for the past 15 years. Think your video Spiral Out captured some really good techniques addressing different modalities of massage within your own style - good one.

[quote author=Aragorn]
[/quote]

From what my SO discusses, people will have different comfort levels and the therapist works around these levels; clothed or not. What Spiral Out clearly shows in the video is his "draping" techniques and a good therapist within their professional practice will emphasis their diligence in this regard.

Here is a brief reference: _http://spas.about.com/od/spaglossary/g/Massage-Draping.htm

Hi everyone,

I saw that Thai massage was mentioned in the beginning of the thread but not again. Does anyone have any experience with Thai and is Rolfing still the recommended route?

I had a Thai massage yesterday. I liked it a lot. I think my practioner was very good but I'm very emotional today, crying a lot, and just not feeling well. I've never had that come up with other massage modalities before.

Thanks.

salinafaerie said:
I saw that Thai massage was mentioned in the beginning of the thread but not again. Does anyone have any experience with Thai and is Rolfing still the recommended route?

I you keep reading through the whole thread, you'll see more information about Rolfing and other people sharing their experiences with it. Rolfing can be a very intense form of bodywork and personally I only recommend it to people who already have experience in receiving deep massage/bodywork. That way you'll get the most of the Rolfing sessions, imo.

I had a Thai massage yesterday. I liked it a lot. I think my practioner was very good but I'm very emotional today, crying a lot, and just not feeling well. I've never had that come up with other massage modalities before.

I think any modality that is done correctly by a competent therapist can bring out emotional "detoxing". It's a very personal thing. Based on my experience as a bodyworker, different people react different to different modalities. For example, some people go through a deep and intense unwinding and emotional release when just doing subtle crainiosacral work, while others are not effected by it at all. Then for others deep structural work like Rolfing works best, while for others it may be too much for where they are at. Maybe in your case Thai Massage works really well. When it comes to finding the right modality in bodywork for what works best for you, it really comes down to this, imo:

“The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases.”
- Carl Gustav Jung

From the book I'm currently reading:

"Movement is the unifying bond between the mind and the body, and sensations are the substance of that bond.
Friction on the skin, pressure on the deeper tissues, distortion for the tissues surrounding the joints—these are the media through which the organism perceives itself and through which it organizes its internal and external muscular responses.

As we develop and mature, most of us build up and reinforce a reliably consistent sense of our selves by carefully selecting and maintaining a specific repertoire of movement habits—which generates specific repertoire of sensations—and by surrounding ourselves with a stable environment with which to interact.

This careful process of selection is largely unconscious, and so as long as we are comfortable we are rarely aware of any limitations or potential dangers our cultivated habits may entail. And even if a disturbing symptom appears , we generally do not suspect our well-worn, tried-and-true behavior might be its cause. In fact, the very consistency of our normal patterns frequently prevents us from changing our ways long enough to obtain such insight.

It is exactly this circular relationship between our habitual behaviors and the chronic conditions of our tissues that skillful touching can so usefully penetrate. New frictions, new pressures, and new movements of the limbs necessarily create for new habits, new modifications, more constructive conditions. And here we are close to putting our finger on the possible reason why touch touch therapies can sometimes produce positive results so quickly, almost "miraculously."

No matter how much I move myself around, my strongest tendency is to move in the same ways that I have always moved, guided by the same deeply seated postural habits, sensory cues, and mental images of my body; but if I can succeed in surrendering to the movements that another person imposes on the body, without my own system of cues and responses interfering, it is possible to treat my mind to a flood of sensations that are novel in important ways, sensations that may well be able to indicate what things I have been doing that have produced my aches and pains at the same time as they have reinforced my normal sense of self.

And even more important, this moment of surrender and new sensation can demonstrate to me that I am not permanently obliged to continue acting out a habitual compulsion. I can see that that the habit is a habit, that I am something else, and that for a moment at any rate I can choose to repeat it or not. And if I can drop a compulsive behavior or attitude for a moment without causing a crisis, then perhaps I can disperse it altogether."

- Deane Juhan, Job's Body

Back
Top Bottom