Meditation Aid - Timed Chimes

TheSpoon

Jedi
Wasn't sure about the right category to post this under - it's possibly more like "The Work", but PSI seemed most concerned with Meditation.

The meditation group I'm part of takes turns at being "leader", and something I find very distracting during our sits when it's my turn is having to keep an eye on the time and ringing a chime to mark each stage.

So I've recorded & mixed some MP3 tracks for this task - ranging from 10 mins to 60 - which I've made available to share. Each track has a 30 second lead-in (to allow you to settle) before a single chime sounds, and ends with 3 chimes in a row.

For example _http://www.iamthespoon.org/meditation_chimes/45min_4stage.mp3 features 5 chimes spaced 11.25 minutes apart. They work well when loaded onto a mobile phone or USB compatible stereo.

The full set can be found here:
http://www.iamthespoon.org/meditation_chimes/

Hey Spoon, can you explain a bit more about the process? I'm having difficulty grasping what kind of meditation you're talking about, or what the different chimes mean or accomplish.

Hi Ryan, I'll try.

Well some meditations are taught to have distinct stages. For example one that I do is called Mindfulness of Breathing and it comes in 4 parts:

1. Silently counting after each out-breath, 1 number per breath up to 10 then start again at 1.
2. Silently counting before each in-breath
3. Dropping the counting and just watching the breath coming in and out
4. Focussing on the tip of the nose (or lips) where the breath enters the body.

I'm not a meditation teacher, so I did a web search and found a site that seems to explain this particular meditation quite well:
_http://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness

Another one I do is called the Metta Bhavana (Development of Loving Kindness also described on that same site _http://www.wildmind.org/metta/introduction/outline ) and it's in 5 stages. Hence some of the files are in 1,2,4 or 5 stages - choose the number of stages to match the specific meditation you're practising.

The point of the first chime is just to mark that the meditation has started. The following chimes mark the transition of each stage and then the last chime is different (3 together) so if you've completely lost track of yourself, you know you're done without having to look at a watch.

I also find it helpful to have a chime now and again when I'm doing a meditation without stages - such as "Just Sitting" - where the odd chime can serve as a reminder incase the meditator has completely drifted away and is thinking about work, sex, tv - the usual distractions.

Thanks - that answers my question. I don't meditate much myself, but others might find those files useful. Thanks for making them available.

TheSpoon said:
I'm not a meditation teacher, so I did a web search and found a site that seems to explain this particular meditation quite well:
_http://www.wildmind.org/mindfulness
This is an excellent find spoon!
I just browsed through the site and not just that is visually very soothing and user friendly it also seems to have very comprehensive guide for dummies through buddist breathing meditation.
I have given up on meditating while ago and this thread has rekindled my desire to dedicate regular time to it, so thank you very much.

I´we tried to meditate a couple of times but I have never experienced anything different from just sitting or laying silent and just thinking. Is there some kind of state or sensation I should be looking for and what would it help in regards to work?

The question, I think, is what do you get out of it, do you recommend others to try?

Deckards post made me want to read the site too, but i'll let my post stand.

well I hope you found the answers grim, its all well explained on that website

GRiM said:
I´we tried to meditate a couple of times but I have never experienced anything different from just sitting or laying silent and just thinking. Is there some kind of state or sensation I should be looking for and what would it help in regards to work?
I don't have much experience but I don't think you should expect much specific sensations because they would be distractions as well. I guess the key is to observe without interference.

I can't find back the post where there was some very interesting explanation about meditation with "Seed" or without.

Meditation with seed is meditation with a focus upon some question, idea, words which is an oriented version of the "empty" meditation.
I prefer this kind of meditation as it helps me to have a focus to come back to.
In this regard The meditation chimes is a great idea.

Maybe someone who has more experience and results :D than I do in this field can explain it better.

Tigersoap said:
GRiM said:
I don't have much experience but I don't think you should expect much specific sensations because they would be distractions as well. I guess the key is to observe without interference.

I can't find back the post where there was some very interesting explanation about meditation with "Seed" or without.

Meditation with seed is meditation with a focus upon some question, idea, words which is an oriented version of the "empty" meditation.
I prefer this kind of meditation as it helps me to have a focus to come back to.
In this regard The meditation chimes is a great idea.

Maybe someone who has more experience and results :D than I do in this field can explain it better.
Here it is i read it recently _http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1814

Hi GRiM

GRiM said:
The question, I think, is what do you get out of it, do you recommend others to try?
Well it's not going to do you any harm, so certainly it's worth trying to see if you find it of benefit.

The main thing for me is that I spend most of my life with a vague feeling of negativity in the back of my mind. Like a very low level guilt or unease. Perhaps a feeling that I'm not doing what I'm meant to be doing. During and after meditation I almost always feel good about myself, more positive and confident. More "connected", clear headed, "in my body" and recently I've had a really pleasant "energy tickle" feeling running up the back of my legs into my pelvis - an open, flowing feeling. Sorry can't define these terms any more specifically, it's obviously highly subjective.

It's a big help in my Reiki practice too, much easier to keep focused on the client for 30 minutes without drifting off thinking about other things if I've been meditating.

I'd say it's the total opposite of having a hangover.

The effects generally last into the next day. I find I'm more relaxed at work, which means that problems don't wind me up or overwhelm me nearly as much. If I'm walking about town I find I walk tall and take in the people around me, rather than being head down thinking my own thing.

After a few days of meditating, I find that I can follow a train of thought in my mind. Normally if I find myself thinking about something then I can usually just about remember what I was thinking about before, that got me on to the subject. If I've been meditating consistently then I find that I'll remember perhaps the previous 3 to 5 stations that my train visited.

Also, after a good meditation if I listen to music it's like I really hear it, more deeply, almost like the notes are playing in different parts of my body - interacting with my emotional state, rather than just hearing with my ears.

GRiM said:
I´ve tried to meditate a couple of times but I have never experienced anything different from just sitting or laying silent and just thinking.
I would say that meditation is often very hard work. That "monkey mind" wants to leap about looking at shiny things, and it has to be guided back to the breath or whatever the focus of the meditation is. So if the experience of meditation is similar to just sitting and letting that monkey look at whatever it wants, then that's perhaps not really meditation. Similar to Self Remembering (as I see it) it's easy the first time - novelty value - but becomes much more demanding as you try to practise more intently.

Tigersoap makes a good point that one shouldn't be "seeking sensation" during meditation - that would just be indulging that monkey again. What I've described above is what I see as the benefits - outside of the meditation practice - that I personally gain. And if there weren't benefits, why would one continue?

It's good to talk about what I get out of it, I've only been managing about 3 nights out of 7 recently. A lot like exercise - it's hard to get the motivation to do it, but you always feel better afterwards. Planning a 40 minute sit for tonight, start the weekend off right.

Actually, reading back what I've written and what I get out of it, it's maybe surprising that I'm not maintaining a daily practice. But it is hard work and effort and I'm not chock full of self discipline. It's also (for me) not compatible with alcohol which means going near tee-total, something I'm slowing moving towards.

new_to_chess said:
Here it is i read it recently _http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=1814
That's a really helpful thread, I'll read it more fully tonight when I'm at home and don't have a boss on my shoulder ;)

Thanks!

Few things i could say about concentration i felt while doing it today:
1.Use it or lose it!
2.Video games mostly shooters make things worse and feed the monkey mind with details, with extreme movement so it is harder to concentrate on 1 thing. It is up to you to tell about other things that distract (some even say junkfood) so if you have any special impressions, please share them, only if you like of course.

Back
Top Bottom