Mind and Cosmos by Thomas Nagel

Buddy said:
Laura said:
...if you can make it droll and engaging at the same time, you will be doing a great service!

Laura, in the meantime, can you link a piece of writing that might be a good or best example of the kind of droll and engaging you have in mind? If so, and if I can learn to write like that, then maybe I could write (or help write) some reviews and summaries that people might enjoy reading.

Just read the new book. I've dealt with some very complex issues there and certainly did struggle to find the way to write about them in ways that are clear enough that about anybody can get it. Chapter nine, in particular, took some pacing and thinking and writing over and over in the head to be able to articulate those ideas. And there are more coming up. See the excerpt I've included above.

One thing I try to do is avoid jargon that makes a sentence incomprehensible. Take the following, for example, from AI's summary:

Nagel begins by pointing out the extensive implications of the mind-body problem (i.e., the apparent division between mind and matter, and the nature of their relationship). Not only is it 'local', in the sense of trying to explain what exactly 'minds' are and how they relate to bodies (is mind an illusion? an epiphenomenon, or mere product of physical complexity? a nonmaterial thing?); but it also relates to our entire understanding of the cosmos and its history: physical sciences and evolutionary biology should take these philosophical implications into account. The question is: Are our current tools of knowledge sufficient to understand the universe as a whole? To Nagel, the answer is "No." Part of philosophy involves pointing out the limitations of ideas and methods in current use, as the scientists using them often take them for granted. So Nagel's goal as a philosopher here is a "comprehensive, speculative world picture," extrapolating from the physical sciences and trying to unify them in "an explanation of everything in the universe."

The physical sciences take a position of "psychophysical reductionism," i.e., they attempt to 'reduce' the features of mind to the physical parts which allegedly produce mental processes and phenomena. Nagel thinks this position fails to give a sufficient understanding of the world. Nagel favours "neutral monism," which he describes in a later chapter. Some of the facts that a good position must account for: mind's seeming dependence on the appearance of living organism as a result of physical, chemical and biological evolution (no physical body, no mind, as far as we can tell).

I would re-write it thus:

Most people don't realize that they have been taught and influenced to think about the world in ways that are rather like the blinders that are put on a horse to prevent him from seeing anything but the route straight ahead. This is okay as long as the route is safe and there are no surprises. And for some horses it is probably the best thing because their nervous systems can't handle surprises, sudden movements or changes, they are easily distracted and can get out of control. But for a well-disciplined horse that is capable of judging when to move out of the way in case of danger coming from the sides or the rear, blinders can be very detrimental. That discipline can come from the horse itself of a skilled rider/driver. This analogy can only go so far; probably a better one would be a tribe that is born, lives and dies, in a jungle where they never see other humans, know nothing about the rest of the world, think that planes flying overhead are some kind of strange bird or a god, think the earth is flat and the sun is born and dies every day. This last is not too far from reality. But of course, modern humans are convinced that they are all past that now; modern science has solved the major problems and we live in a wide-open universe and our minds are now "opened to the truth". Science tells our cultures what to teach us and thus, we are confident that we are on top of things.

But what if that isn't true? What if our very own modern science made a big mistake somewhere along the way and erected all of its structure on a fundamental concept that seemed pretty reasonable at the time, but evidence keeps piling up saying that there is something really, really wrong at the foundation. But scientists, being ordinary humans raised in the same environment and having authoritarian tendencies like everyone else, really don't like that. They have invested their lives and fortunes, so to say, in the conviction that the foundational assumption is correct and they BELIEVE it in the face of all evidence to the contrary in the same way that a fundamentalist Christian believes that the Bible is the divinely inspired Word of God.

And what is that belief?

Nagel takes us right into the heart of it: it is the Mind-Body problem. In the nineteenth century, French philosopher, Rene Descartes declared that there was a sharp division between the mind and the body. Remember the famous phrase "I think, therefore I am"? Well, that was Descartes. There are scientists nowadays who are referring to this as "Decartes' Error." (Neuroscientist, Antonio Damasio.)

Of course, to Descartes, the fact that he had consciousness was the important thing; it meant that the whole world might be an illusion made up in his mind; the only thing he could know was that he was thinking and knowing stuff. Not only did he declare that the mind had a special status that was not controlled by any physical laws, he also declared that essence of the mind was consciousness: what people think consciously, and nothing more. The important thing here is that the rule was created there and then that the mind is separate from the body and that's that.

This separation of the mind from the body, the "mind-matter" division known as "Cartesian Dualism", had very far reaching implications. Scientists working on strictly material problems came along and said, yeah, Descartes is right but guess what? That thing you call "consciousness" is the thing that doesn't really exist in and of itself, only the material world is real and consciousness is the real illusion! In short, for the materialists, the ONLY thing that was real was the body and the mind was a by-product of cellular communication or the right half of the physical brain signalling the left half, so on and so forth.

Nagel begins by listing some of the most important features and implications of the mind-body problem. He points out that the problem is not only related to what is 'local' to living beings (mainly humans), that is, what the mind really is, how it relates to the body, (is mind an illusion? an symptom or side-effect or product of physical systems or is it truly a nonmaterial thing?); but our conception of mind/body controls our entire understanding of the cosmos and its history. That is, those very early conclusions about this question established by the "Enlightenment scientists" who took Descartes error, reversed it and used it as the foundation for all physical science, affects everything in our understanding of our world. This leads to the big question: Are our current tools of knowledge, based on this fundamental claim that more and more evidence suggests is a huge error, sufficient to understand the universe as a whole? To Nagel, the answer is "No." He then explains that one of the main roles that philosophy plays in our world lies in pointing out the limitations of ideas and methods in current use, as the scientists using them often take them for granted. So Nagel's goal as a philosopher here is a "comprehensive, speculative world picture," extrapolating from the physical sciences and trying to unify them in "an explanation of everything in the universe."

The physical sciences take a position of "psychophysical reductionism," i.e., they attempt to 'reduce' the features of mind to the physical parts which allegedly produce mental processes and phenomena (like cells sending chemical or electrical signals to each other in the process of just doing ordinary "cell stuff" and our brain has transformed that into what it calls "consciousness"). Nagel thinks this position fails to give a sufficient understanding of the world. Nagel himself favours what he calls "neutral monism," which he describes in a later chapter. In general, monism says that the variety of existing things in the universe are reducible to one substance or reality, the fundamental character of the universe is unity. Opposing this point of view is the so-called Cartesian dualism which declares that consciousness and/or mind vs. matter are two ultimately irreconcilable substances or realities which, as we have seen, has then been reduced to an opposing kind of monism, so to say, that which declares that there is only matter, accident, and mind is an illusionary by-product of matter.

Nagel points out, however, that we need to account for the mind's seeming dependence on the appearance of living organisms as a result of physical, chemical and biological evolution (no physical body, no mind, as far as we can tell). ....

As you see, I have made the assumption (correct, as far as I can tell) that MOST people aren't even aware of the most basic scientific and/or philosophical controversies and questions much less the terminology that is used to describe and discuss them. And, since it IS important to the reader to know why this question IS IMPORTANT, one must introduce it, talk about it in a plain way, and build your terms on explanations and examples that get the full meaning across.

In the above, a fuller treatment would give examples from our daily life of how and why this question is important including the tendency to think that psychological issues can just be drugged away, that human beings can be sent out to kill their fellow humans, and then given a pill to help them forget it, that child abuse isn't so important, after all, it's just a meatsack... give 'em a pill, they'll be right as rain! And so forth and so on. It also deprives us of the awareness of our connection with our environment at a level of consciousness that drives the ecological system to either support or reject humanity, and more.

An excellent example, the comparison of AI's technical jargon v.s. Laura's "layman terms."

I thank you!

I wholeheartedly agree, that for the majority of the populace, "giving accurate details in
layman terms" are much more far reaching and encompassing. Whereas, using technical
terms requires one to have sufficient knowledge base/foundation, to know how to access
the relevant materials in supporting that research, to efficiently manage their work and time,
than is generally available to the average person. Perhaps many would give up in frustration.

I can see this in my trying to explain to those who ask me questions and my response made
me realize in retrospect, that I was unable to get my point across due to lacking foundation
of the questioner's knowledge base, in regards to technical terms. I was forced to switch my
approach by changing technical terms into layman terms and and I barely got my point across,
but for the most part, it was semi-successful, for various reasons. I admit that the task is not
easy, it takes more time, but it is well worth it, if the questioner is able to grasps, even the basics,
of what was conveyed.

FWIW,
Dan

OK, here's attempt #2! I used a little bit of your re-write, Laura.

MIND AND COSMOS

Introduction

What is the nature of the universe? What are things the way they are, and how did they get to be the way they are? Where did we come from? Where did life come from? Humans have been trying to answer these questions of Being and Becoming for all the human history we have records. In the last couple centuries, science has taken the forefront in this quest to observe, understand, and explain.

When scientists study they cosmos and try to understand it, they start by observing certain facts about the world and the things in it, then make generalizations about those facts, refining their conclusions as new data either confirms or disproves their theories. They try to understand why things are the way they are, down to the very nature of the stuff that makes up the universe, and how it came to be the way it is, through time. These have led scientists to study the building blocks of matter down to the tiniest particles, the habitual ways in which they interact, and the way those laws have influenced the interactions between all the parts of the universe, leading us to the present time. Their story starts with the Big Bang, the creation of all the matter of the universe. Then the laws of physics and chemistry determine how matter will interact, producing galaxies, stars, planets, and chemical compounds through vast expanses of space and time. Darwin's theory of evolution then takes over. Once the first single-celled organisms appeared here on earth, random mutations and natural selection led more and more forms of life, resulting in us: humans.

But does this story really account for all the facts we can see in the universe? Just like a lens will color your perception if it's a certain color, our basic assumptions about the world will color our interpretation of the facts--even limit the number of facts we recognize as worthy of taking into account. If we think humans are all good, we will come up with reasons for why psychopaths do the things they do: maybe they had bad childhoods. And if this belief is strong, we will ignore other data and force-fit what data we do have to fit our preconceived notion. Scientists are no different than other humans in this regard. So, what are some of the assumptions current scientists work under? How do they affect the way they interpret the facts of the world? And what facts do they ignore?

As parts of the universe, we humans are also facts that have to be explained, and that includes all of our features, all the things that make us human. The fact that humans are not only complex physical beings, but also have subjective experience (consciousness), reason (the ability to think), and values (the ability to direct our actions based on what is good) has posed a problem to scientists and philosophers for generations. Descartes can be said to have started it all: I think, therefore I am.

Of course, to Descartes, the fact that he had consciousness was the important thing; it meant that the whole world might be an illusion made up in his mind (idealism); the only thing he could know was that he was thinking and knowing stuff. Not only did he declare that the mind had a special status that was not controlled by any physical laws, he also declared that essence of the mind was consciousness: what people think consciously, and nothing more. The important thing here is that the rule was created there and then that the mind is separate from the body and that's that.

This separation of the mind from the body, the "mind-matter" division known as "Cartesian Dualism", had very far-reaching implications. Scientists working on strictly material problems came along and said, yeah, Descartes is right but guess what? That thing you call "consciousness" is the thing that doesn't really exist in and of itself; only the material world is real and consciousness is the real illusion! In short, for the materialists, the ONLY thing that was real was the body, and the mind was a by-product of cellular communication or the right half of the physical brain signalling the left half, so on and so forth.

What exactly is a mind? If it's something separate from matter, how does it seemingly interact with matter? Is it merely a byproduct of complex forms of matter? Is it a non-material thing? Or is it just an illusion, a way of talking about something that we just assume to exist? Currently, there's no real scientific consensus on the nature of consciousness. So the question becomes: Can the currently popular scientific theories really explain what it is about the nature of the universe that is able to produce conscious beings? And can physics, chemistry, and the theory of evolution explain, step by step, how life appeared and developed into those beings? Nagel doesn't think so, and aims to point out the limitations of the current theories, the holes in their logic, and some possible alternatives--to take the role of a philosopher and provide a a "comprehensive, speculative world picture," extrapolating from the physical sciences and trying to unify them in "an explanation of everything in the universe."

These are important questions and tasks, because the implications of the mind-body problem not only relate to what is 'local' to living beings (mainly humans); our conception of mind/body controls our entire understanding of the cosmos and its history. That is, those very early conclusions about this question established by the "Enlightenment scientists" who took Descartes' error, reversed it and used it as the foundation for all physical science, affect everything in our understanding of our world.

So, in addition to the 'creation story' given above, how do scientists explain consciousness these days? As mentioned above, they try to explain, or 'reduce,' the features of mind to the physical parts that make up the body and brain, and which allegedly produce mental processes and phenomena (like cells sending chemical or electrical signals to each other in the process of just doing ordinary "cell stuff" and our brain has transformed that into what it calls "consciousness"). This is called "psychophysical reductionism," and it's a type of view called "monism," which says that the variety of existing things in the universe are reducible to one substance or reality; the fundamental character of the universe is unity. Opposing this point of view is the so-called Cartesian "dualism" which declares that consciousness and/or mind vs. matter are two ultimately irreconcilable substances or realities. As we've seen, this dualism was then reduced to the opposing form of monism, that which declares that there is only matter and accident, and mind is an illusionary by-product of matter. But as we'll see, these positions actually aren't very good at all for accounting for all the facts of the universe. There are other options. The one that Nagel himself favours is called "neutral monism," which will be explained in more detail further along.

One of the facts we'll have to take into account as we go along is the mind's seeming dependence on the appearance of living organisms as a result of physical, chemical and biological evolution. As far as we can tell, if there's no physical body, there's no mind. Minds only appear along with certain types of organisms at certain levels of complexity. The two definitely seem bound together in some way. Scientists currently try to explain this all in terms of the theory of evolution. But, in addition to the philosophical reasons for questioning how good evolution really is at explaining, there are two very real empirical (scientific) reasons for rejecting it as the full explanation of everything.

First, the idea that the physical and chemical laws of "dead matter" could solely result in the appearance of the first self-reproducing organism (complete with DNA, ribosomes, cell walls, etc.) is totally implausible. Evolutionists' only explanation is that this happened as a result of chance, a series of physical accidents--"Well, we know it happened, cuz we're here, but we can't explain how it happened, so it must've just been one big fluke!" If something doesn't have even a remote probability of happening, we shouldn't expect it to happen. And if we can observe that something DID happen, there has to be a reason to explain why it was probable that it did. As Nagel writes, "the coming into existence of the genetic code--an arbitrary mapping of nucleotide sequences into amino acids, together with mechanisms that can read the code and carry out its instructions--seems particularly resistant to being revealed as probable given physical law alone."

Second, the idea that enough genetic variation could occur in the geological time available in evolutionary history in order to allow natural selection to run its course and produce all the various forms of life is also totally implausible. According to evolutionary theory, a population of organisms needs to have a minimum number of genetic variations in order for natural selection to select for anything. (There's no "selection" if all you have is identical copies of the same organism!) So, when the first single-celled organism(s) came about as a result of chance, how did it produce enough varied versions of itself to allow this to take place, especially given that statistically, more harmful mutations would be produced than good ones? As Nagel writes, this shouldn't have been able to happen "without the operation of some other factors determining and restricting the forms of genetic variation."

So evolutionary theory can't explain the origins of life, or the origins of evolution, and the orthodox opinion on these things is based on unsupported assumptions. As Nagel says, it "flies in the face of common sense." And yet the scientific community heap scorn upon proponents of "intelligent design," who point out these very problems. Despite their religious motivations, their scientific arguments and criticism are often "of great interest in themselves," even if the explanations they offer as alternatives may be inadequate.

When we look at the conventional theories (evolution, psychophysical reductionism), and how they attempt to account for the origins of life and the existence of consciousness, it begins to looks like there is something missing from the picture. Rather than blind accidents repeatedly leading to increasingly stunning and wondrous developments, it would appear as if the principles behind this progression of complexity are "teleological rather than mechanistic." In other words, the principles at the root of things tend to move the stuff of the universe towards a purpose or end (Greek telos) as opposed to following blind, chance cause and effect. Chance tends to lead towards more chaos and randomness, not increasing complexity.

But if we're going to attempt our own explanation, we're going to have to rely on some assumptions of our own. Nagel states two constraints on his own attempt to answer these big questions: first, "an assumption that certain things are so remarkable that they have to be explained as non-accidental if we are to pretend to a real understanding of the world." In other words, we can't hide behind "chance" as an explanation for the things we can't explain--that's no explanation at all. And second, "the ideal of discovering a single natural order that unifies everything on the bases of a set of common elements and principles." As mentioned above, this is a form of monism. Materialism is also a form of monism, but it fails to explain all the facts. Idealism (the idea that everything is mind, and all matter is an illusion) is also inadequate. Cartesian dualism, on the other hand, rejects this ideal, but it has its own problems. For example, how can two totally separate substances interact if they have nothing in common, no common ground? We just have to assume they do, somehow, without really explaining how.

There's another alternative that runs up against the same problem as dualism: theism, the idea that God created the universe, created life, and/or influenced natural selection according to his own goals. Theism bends the rules by trying to explain "certain features of the natural world by divine intervention, which is not part of the natural order." In other words, like dualism, it assumes that there is an aspect we can't fully explain--something we have to take simply on faith (mind somehow interacts with matter, God somehow intervenes in the laws of the universe). So, to sum up, Nagel is trying to give an account of the cosmos that is self-consistent and fully explanatory, without adding in any factors that "transcend" the things we can explain, like physical laws. These transcendent influences from "outside" the observable world (like God), are untestable, unexplainable, and only complicate matters. We shouldn't feel forced to choose between equally bad theories: the current materialist approach of the physical sciences (designed for studying a "mindless universe") and one under the influence of a mysterious, transcendent being. There are other, better options.

So, going back to the beginning, such a comprehensive understanding will have to explain both the Being and Becoming of the universe. To explain the Being of the universe (the reasons it is the way it appears to be), we'll need to identify principles like the laws of physics, which are seemingly timeless and constitute a fundamental part of the nature of the cosmos. These will answer the "constitutive question." To explain the Becoming of the universe (the reasons it has developed the way it has), we'll need to identify habits of nature, such as scientists do with big-bang cosmology and evolutionary biology. These will answer the "historical question." But both of these answers will have to take into account all the facts, which the current theories do not. "Mind," Nagel writes, "as a development of life, must be included as the most recent stage of this long cosmological history, and its appearance, I believe, casts its shadow back over the entire process and the constituents and principles on which the process depends." In other words, Being and Becoming are inextricably intertwined.

This ended up being much more readable, AI, and it's also very helpful that you define the technical terms as you go -- thanks for the continuing effort you're putting into this.

Wow, what a thread - most interesting building on the works here. Big thank you AI for your initial (much appreciated work) and reconfigured version (it works). Great transcript addition Laura, and really thought your thinking Shijing, below, as others mentioned and was noticed right away, was an interesting way of looking at things.

I think we may be justified in really looking at the question of the cosmos as a literal organism (the Cs suggested once that the comet cycle, brown dwarf cycle, and the Wave could be thought of in terms of "biorhythms), in which the comet cluster plays the effective role of an immune system. Perhaps we are part of the Earth's (or solar system's) hologenome, in which we contribute to that system in much the same way as our own native flora contribute to ours? If we as a species begin to collectively align with entropy in too abrupt a manner, we jeopardize the hologenome of which we're a part, and the cosmos needs to deal with us before we fatally injure our host. This seems to be the general direction in which people like Rupert Sheldrake and Mae-Wan Ho are headed (and speaking of (de)coherence, Ho has an interesting paper called 'Quantum Coherence and Conscious Experience here.)

When the C's discuss (from our 3d perspective) of matters incomprehensible to most, sure makes me feel that the extend of our measures runs up against a wall of spectrum's to the point that even to conceive (for me anyway without skills at theoretical physics/mathematics) of what those next measures would even resemble, to arrive at a perspective is rather daunting. Yet there is a trust in the universe that there is clear intelligence running the show at measures inside (seen) and outside our cognoscente's - it is all rather amazing and quite a quest to try and move closer to this understanding.

Approaching Infinity said:
OK, here's attempt #2! I used a little bit of your re-write, Laura.

Thank you for this! It is so much more readable and understandable. I look forward to the upcoming ones. :flowers:

Shijing said:
This ended up being much more readable, AI, and it's also very helpful that you define the technical terms as you go -- thanks for the continuing effort you're putting into this.

Yep, well done AI!

Anti-reductionism and the Natural Order

Before moving on to specific examples of facts that can't be explained by current science and ideologies, we need to look a little closer at our options: materialism, anti-realism, and theism. Materialists think that physical facts (revealed by physical sciences) are the only things that can truly be said to exist, and everything in the cosmos can be understood in reference to these facts. So, things like subjective experience, intentions, goals, thinking, and a sense of value should all be able to be reduced down in this way: to the physical facts at their roots. As mentioned above, our mental abilities DO seem to depend in some way on our physical makeup: brains of different species, and brain regions, have observably different abilities and functions. So whatever explains how biology got to be the way it is must also explain how the mind came to be the way it is. But current sciences (evolutionary biology and psychology) can't fully explain either.

Since scientific "reductionism" has so far failed to adequately answer our questions, we should be fully justified in seeking out other, better options. And if reductionism turns out to be wrong, if it turns out that certain facts of nature (e.g., mind) cannot be reduced to physical matter, then this has some huge implications for our understanding of the nature of the cosmos. It would mean that materialism itself is false, that there is more than just matter, or that matter is not what we think it is. As Nagel puts it: "A genuine alternative to the reductionist program would require an account of how mind and everything that goes with it is inherent in the universe." This leaves two possibilities: either the universe is "not exclusively physical" or "there is no comprehensive order." In other words, either there's something 'extra' about the universe that will help us understand how mind fits in it all, or there's simply no explanation possible: the universe is fundamentally mysterious, and it's futile to even try understanding it. There is no reality, "because there are many kinds of truth and many kinds of thought …" In other words, "there is no truth" or "truth is relative."

Nagel doesn't think such an "anti-realist" stance holds up to the facts, or even just plain common sense. The facts suggest the opposite: that there is a universal order, that it's possible to understand it, and that mind is a basic aspect of nature. Support for this is actually found in one of the core conditions of science: the intelligibility of the world (i.e., able to be understood). When a scientist engages in an experiment, it's with the assumption that he or she will be able to learn and understand something from it. Rather than simply describing things and events, scientists fundamentally assume that something can also be understood. There's always a "because" hidden behind the bare facts. Water turns to ice because of the properties of its molecules at different temperatures. Water molecules form because of the properties of the elements hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen and oxygen differ because of their subatomic properties, etc. There are reasons the world is the way it is.

If there were nothing to discover--if humans either didn't have the ability to know anything, or there was no order in the universe to discover--we would have had no scientific discoveries and experiments wouldn't work--nothing would make sense. But that is not so. Scientists have discovered regularities in the working of the cosmos: physical laws with mathematical relationships, chemical laws governing the interactions of matter. The fact is, some explanations are better than others simply by the virtue that they give greater understanding and are more likely to be true. There is a benchmark (objective truth) by which they are judged.

How can we explain the fact that science seemingly and continuously discovers order in the universe? predicts outcomes? finds reasons? One answer is that it's 'just the way things are,' and nothing really explains it - we're just describing arbitrary facts. But that's just another cop-out. The very fact that there are facts to discover, that there is some 'sense' to be made of them, and that we can make sense of them, suggests that it makes more sense to assume that the fact that the universe can be understood "is itself part of the deepest explanation of why things are as they are." In other words, the universe is rational--it makes sense and it can be understood by minds--down to the very bottom. That would imply that the potential for minds was there at the very beginning. It seems kind of silly and unreasonable to imagine a universe that just happened to be comprehensible, and then for beings capable of discovering that fact, and comprehending it, to just happen to develop, all by chance. What are the odds?

When something appears arbitrary, "that is because there are further things we do not know, which explain why they are not arbitrary after all. … The intelligibility of the world is no accident. … Nature is such as to give rise to conscious beings with minds; and it is such as to be comprehensible to such beings. Ultimately, therefore, such beings should be comprehensible to themselves." Mind, and its potential, are built into the very fabric of the universe.

Natural science, with roots in a materialistic worldview, is one of the ways by which we make sense of the world, of its intelligibility. It may attempt a full understanding of everything in the universe, but it isn't very reassuring. How much of the universe can actually be explained simply in reference to physical laws? All of it? Nope. But even if this were the case, science would still have to be able to explain why science is possible in the first place--why the universe is comprehensible. It attempts to do this by explaining mind as a "highly specific biological side effect of the physical order." In other words, minds are just side effects of brains doing their thing (synapses firing, etc.).

But here materialism actually pulls the rug out from beneath itself. When scientists theorize about evolution, they're using faculties that are allegedly a product this evolution (perception, problem solving, reasoning). But can we trust a product of evolution to come to correct conclusions about evolution? Nagel doesn't think so. Here's why. The standards for survival are NOT the same as the standards for truth. Vision, for example, helped our ancestors survive. We trust our vision, but we know it could be faulty. The same would have to apply to our reasoning abilities: they would be generally reliable, but not in the sense we ordinarily take them for, with the precision that science, logic and math take for granted. If they were solely the result of chance natural selection, they'd just be tendencies, and we'd have no yardstick with which to measure their accuracy. The evolutionary hypothesis "does not explain why we are justified in relying on [our cognitive capacities] to correct other cognitive dispositions that lead us astray. … Evolutionary naturalism implies that we shouldn't take any of our convictions seriously, including the scientific world picture on which evolutionary naturalism itself depends."

To the materialist, ultimately, everything comes down to particle physics. So evolutionary biologists see the possibility of explaining life in terms of physics and chemistry. Human understanding of these physical laws has been refined over generations, and will continue to be refined. And since they've done such a good job in that time, there's every reason to think they'll continue to do so, eventually leading to "the most fundamental explanation of everything." Even if the details are still fuzzy, in principle, a full explanation should be possible, thus explaining life and minds capable of understanding all of this, all in terms of basic physical laws. But isn't that premature? The fact is, such an explanation has yet to appear. As long as we don't know, it seems arrogant to claim to know exactly how future discoveries will progress, and which possibilities are ruled out before the fact. And if physical laws explain everything, why do those laws hold in the first place? What is the origin of physical laws? And why are they the way they are, and not some other way?

The oldest answer is that God made them that way, bringing us to the third option: theism. (Anti-realism and theism were discussed above.) It's the polar opposite of materialism, seeing (God's) mind as the fundamental level that explains everything, "including the explanation of the basic and universal laws themselves." Physical laws are a consequence of mind, not the other way around, as in materialism. Through God's intention, we exist as mini-versions of Him, embodied with mind. The world is intelligible because God made it that way, and made us so that we could understand it. So, compared to materialism, theism actually attempts to answer some important questions: the origins of physical laws, mind, intelligibility.

Nagel sees theism as a cop-out, too, despite the fact that it reassuringly attempts to make sense of things ignored by materialism. Even then, it only offers a "very partial explanation of our place in the world." If the world really is intelligible, as it seems to be, it should be possible to understand it. But concepts like "God's mind" put a stumbling block in the way of complete understanding. We can't think our way past it. How, then, do we explain God's mind? How does He actually interact with the world? We can't know God's full purpose or understanding, and even if the world is intelligible as a result of God's intention, it isn't fully so to us--we lack a comprehensive account of the natural order of the cosmos. Since God is outside of the natural order, not governed by natural laws, theism "pushes the quest for intelligibility outside the world." When looked at in this way, theism amounts to "a denial that there is a comprehensive natural order." In other words, we can't explain it, so let's just say God did it. To fall back on divine intervention as an explanation is basically admitting that we can't explain it.

But Nagel wants to find a way to explain the cosmos that accounts for mind "as a fundamental principle of nature along with physical law," without falling back on divine intervention, and without explaining it away in terms of matter.

Materialism and theism have something in common, though. They both try to understand ourselves in terms of something outside of us. How do they do this? Well, any attempt to understand the universe has to start with us--our own point of view. It's our own observations and reasoning that begin the process of making a worldview, after all. We start with sensations and perceptions, without which we wouldn't have any data to work with. We perceive objects with our senses, patterns in the ways objects behave, etc. We also understand that we are sensing and perceiving: that some part of us is "seeing" all this, able to make generalizations, able to think about it all and come to conclusions. We know that we are perceiving subjects (i.e., we have consciousness), and that we perceive facts about an external reality. And both materialism and theism try to explain how we can trust our own faculties to engage in this process in the first place. (If we can't trust our perceptions and thoughts, how can we come to any firm conclusions?)

So, in theism, we extrapolate based on our understanding of ourselves (as conscious, creative beings, with intentions, reason, and values) to the ultimate level of God. A transcendent God makes sense all of the "facts" at our disposal, and we understand ourselves and our place in the universe in relation to God, as the ultimate source of consciousness, creativity, intention, reason, and value. We trust our initial sensations and perceptions because God would not deceive us. In materialism, we extrapolate our scientific understanding based on our study of some parts of the world, to the whole of the world. We observe interactions between matter, generalize laws to explain and predict the regularity that is apparent all around us, and we trust the initial sensations and perceptions that lead up to all this because we wouldn't have survived if we couldn't reach generally reliable beliefs about the facts of the world (e.g., that's a bear, not an acorn).

Both materialism and theism attempt a larger world view that transcends the starting points--the basic raw material facts. "And to succeed, that larger world view must encompass itself." This means that our new, larger understanding needs to explain and justify itself, the way theism justifies its conclusions because God wouldn't lie, or materialism justifies itself because natural selection wouldn't produce untrustworthy "reality-reading machines." However, these justifications leaves a lot to be desired, as we've just seen above. Both positions undermine themselves (theism implicitly denies the intelligibility of the world, and materialism/evolution can't account for it). The point is, we seem naturally drawn to a larger worldview--a transcendent worldview--that encompasses everything, transcends an understanding limited to just ourselves, and places us within a larger whole.

Nagel thinks there's a third option for such a transcendent world view, which is plausible, "more modest and perhaps more realistic. … The hope is not to discover a foundation that makes our knowledge unassailably secure to but find a way of understanding ourselves that is not radically self-undermining, and that does not require us to deny the obvious." We can't be absolutely sure about our knowledge--it's always possible that our beliefs are systematically false (anti-realism rears its ugly face again). But we can be careful and consistent, and compare various theories, to come up with one that doesn't contradict itself or ignore facts. And it's not unreasonable to test hypotheses by using common sense - "ordinary judgments in which we have a very high confidence" - in fact, we have to, if we're going to account for all the facts at our disposal.

So how can we combine what we do know into a coherent world view? First of all, we know that "the world generates conscious beings capable of recognizing reasons for action and belief, distinguishing some necessary truths, and evaluating the evidence for alternative hypotheses about the natural order." In other words, the universe produces thinking, rational beings, able to grasp objective truths about reality. We also see "our clearest moral and logical reasonings" as objectively valid. We NKOW when an answer is right or wrong, or when an action is right or wrong. A worldview must explain this confidence. And even though we don't have such a worldview right now, we still go on using such faculties in our everyday lives, constructing theories based on perception, reason, logic. We still know that 2+2=4, even if we don't know exactly how and why we know it. A good theory must explain "the existence of conscious minds and their access to the evident truths of ethics and mathematics." So, why is math true? And how is it possible for us to grasp these truths? This all-expansive worldview must explain both matter and mind (so it will have both materialist and rational parts to it). And everything present now in the universe (including consciousness, perception, desire, action, etc.) must have been somehow inherent as possibilities long before life appeared and these potentials were actualized. And the very fact that these possibilities were actualized needs to have have been a significant likelihood (not a vanishingly rare coincidence), given the structure of the universe.

In other words, we have to explain why everything as it is came to be the way it is, why it was likely that it happened this way, and what it is about the very structure of the cosmos that made it likely. No shortcuts. No coincidences.

Nagel's summarizes his argument so far: "the respective inadequacies of materialism and theism as transcendent conceptions, and the impossibility of abandoning the search for a transcendent view of our place in the universe, lead to the hope for an expanded but still naturalistic understanding that avoids psychophysical reductionism. The essential character of such an understanding would be to explain the appearance of life, consciousness, reason, and knowledge neither as accidental side effects of the physical laws of nature nor as the result of intentional intervention in nature from without but as an unsurprising if not inevitable consequence of the order that governs the natural world from within. That order would have to include physical law, but if life is not just a physical phenomenon, the origin and evolution of life and mind will not be explainable by physics and chemistry alone. An expanded, but still unified, form of explanation will be needed, and I suspect it will have to include teleological elements."

I think this last section might still need some work, so if parts are too jargon-y, point them out.

I dunno... looks darn good to me! There is a "just" that is out of place, but it is still very clear and coherent. Good job!

Laura said:
I think this last section might still need some work, so if parts are too jargon-y, point them out.

I dunno... looks darn good to me! There is a "just" that is out of place, but it is still very clear and coherent. Good job!

Fixed. I'll keep at it.

Laura said:

Fixed. I'll keep at it.

How are you finding the exercise? My experience has been that I learn a LOT when I work to make it clear to others.

Laura said:
Laura said:

Fixed. I'll keep at it.

How are you finding the exercise? My experience has been that I learn a LOT when I work to make it clear to others.

Absolutely. I got out some of the other books I've read on the same subjects, and some of the super dense passages in them make a lot more sense to me now. I also find myself thinking about the ideas during the day, coming up with analogies or certain phrases. It's a good brain workout, and it's fun when something finally 'clicks'. Then, once it has clicked, it's a lot easier to explain in other words. After I'm done with this one, I'm going to go back over Sheldrake and Griffin and see if there's anything worthwhile to add to the discussion here.

Back
Top Bottom