Mind Mapping

Recto

Jedi
Since we all have in our daily lives the need to learn about new things or address complex issues, either alone or with others, I thought that a quick introduction to Mind Mapping could help.

Mind mapping is a very useful tool used to breakdown and organize information around a central topic/theme. The topic can be for instance a field of expertise (e.g. Math, Hairdressing, Aquaculture, etc), a question (e.g. a problem to be solved, exploring a new topic), a project needing planning (e.g. wedding), the content of a course (a.k.a a way to take notes), etc. The main goal is to gain further understanding about a complex topic or issue, specifying actionable steps to be taken if need be. Mind mapping is usually used in groups’ collaborative work, however using it on your own is definitely possible and will still be very effective.

Now, what are the main components of a mind map ? The topic is the starting point and is located at the center of the map. From there we draw a branch for each new related information (or aspect of the issue), and from those branches spawn other branches (just like a tree). The tree-like structure provides a hierarchical way to categorize all the topic related information, thus laying out clearly the connections and providing a visual summary.

The information conveyed by each branch is usually a keyword or a short block of text in order to keep only what is essential. Depending on whether you’re working on a sheet of paper or on your computer, you can also use drawings, pictures, website links, etc, to represent information. Informations/Branches are added/read in a clockwise manner by convention.

Here are a couple examples of mind maps about… mind mapping :-P :

mind-maps-final.png

How-to-mind-map.jpg

As said above, its main use cases are note taking, brainstorming and project planning, but the sky is the limit really. Be creative ! Creating a mind map provides a great big-picture summary of the topic on which can be built more elaborate and/or concrete work (e.g. in an essay format, executing the plan, etc). I’ve found that my own mind maps were much more useful and relevant to me (just like note taking) than those made by others. It can be explained as by working on it, we rewire our brains to think, remember and understand the topic better. From that point of view, a mind map is laying out our brains on paper in a visually structured and coherent manner (hence the name mind map).

There exists many websites dedicated to mind mapping. Here are the ones I think explains it best :
As always you have two ways to do mind mapping. Either by using offline tools, where you have to share the mind map file to collaborate with others :
Or using online tools, often based on a payed full-feature subscription model. The map is stored in the « Cloud », allowing for in real-time collaboration :
Has anyone ever used mind maps either at work or at home ? On what kind of topic ? Since your mileage may vary, did you find it useful in the end ? Why (not) ?

I've seen it done, but haven't used it within current memory. I'm not sure what goal I'd be able to use it for. And I haven't even done written exercises or journalled in a while either. This reminds me of sketch notes.

Hi Recto, I did yes, but the problem I found using it, is the rapid limitation in the number of ideas you can reasonably fit into it. The other points is, frequently, the poor intelligibility for those who did not create the tree.

But yes, it's a good tool to organize ideas in a hierarchical way. I use Freeplane you mentioned.

Pretty neat technique. MindMeister hosts some community-created mind maps on many topics. There are, I think, many other free alternatives.

Last year I adapted the pin board approach for things that I need to remind myself of. I open up Powerpoint, then I find a googled image for each of the concepts I need to concentrate on for reading/Work, in a way that will remind me and drive me for sure. I make 2 or 3 rows of concepts, something like a pictorial sentence of sorts. Then I print it out and pin in on my cork board, which sits on my desk. It may not work for everyone as some people are not visual learners. Maybe an improvement can be made, where we put reminders or statements for ourselves with most or all our senses involved, ideas are more than welcome ;-)

This reminds me of the system I used when revising for my midwifery exams nearly a hundred years ago:lol:. Each of my subjects had a similar structure and I kept it all very simple, with just the important points mentioned - no details. Some of the subjects needed quite a large piece of paper. I don't know whether it would have been very useful for my student colleagues. It was probably only useful for me - the mind that produced it. I basked in their admiration for quite a while though and I did pass my exams using it. Your colouration is very cool though - I didn't think of using colours. Makes much more of an impact.

But pooh...I thought I invented it:cool2:

Pretty neat technique. MindMeister hosts some community-created mind maps on many topics. There are, I think, many other free alternatives.

Last year I adapted the pin board approach for things that I need to remind myself of. I open up Powerpoint, then I find a googled image for each of the concepts I need to concentrate on for reading/Work, in a way that will remind me and drive me for sure. I make 2 or 3 rows of concepts, something like a pictorial sentence of sorts. Then I print it out and pin in on my cork board, which sits on my desk. It may not work for everyone as some people are not visual learners. Maybe an improvement can be made, where we put reminders or statements for ourselves with most or all our senses involved, ideas are more than welcome ;-)

Your approach reminded me of the following post in a thread about learning languages :

videogames, because I used to like them and made an effort to understand them.
However video games might not be as good as an advise because now games are a repeat of the same war/shooting games with little to no story.

books if the person likes to read.

movies if the person likes movies.

another thing i think is to place sticky notes on items around the house so you call these items by the name in the language you are trying to learn. Like door , you put a sticker with the word door. window same thing, that way you always see it.

just the effort to look up the words and doing the sticky notes , that effort to recall and find the word is an exercise on its own.

Following that thought, you could stick various pictures, words, drawings or sentences around your house and/or workplace (just like an IRL mind palace). Create a narrative throughout your daily routine by placing ideas on/in key items/places, using their physical properties/disposition as a way to create hierarchical order (it would represent the branches and the clockwise reading of a mind map). We are doing it all the time in our heads unconsciously, time to do it consciously for a change ! It is far from the initial mind mapping technique but nothing stops us to use our 3D world as a way to sort things out. The medium (computer, sheet of paper, house) is irrelevant as long as it serves a purpose. And often the purpose is in the creative process itself.
Now that I think about it, this way of doing things must be quite hilarious to do with others. :lol:

Perhaps framing an object itself as a vehicle for meaning could be another alternative to pictures/words. But it wouldn't stand out among the surroundings, too much noise not enough signal. Or buy/craft specific objects with strange properties or flashy colors. Crafting could be a good idea as, in a way, you put your soul into it, like an emblem/totem. It's a time sink though...

This reminds me of the system I used when revising for my midwifery exams nearly a hundred years ago:lol:. Each of my subjects had a similar structure and I kept it all very simple, with just the important points mentioned - no details. Some of the subjects needed quite a large piece of paper. I don't know whether it would have been very useful for my student colleagues. It was probably only useful for me - the mind that produced it. I basked in their admiration for quite a while though and I did pass my exams using it. Your colouration is very cool though - I didn't think of using colours. Makes much more of an impact.

But pooh...I thought I invented it

I didn't create those mind maps but I definitely agree with you on that ! The more vibrant and creative ways we design our mind maps, the more effective they become. Our logical brain designs the hierarchical structure of ideas related to a topic and our artistic brain plays with them and gives life to them. Coordination of both sides must be a key for effective work.

Nobody truly "invent" anything, we are all merely discovering what already exists and playing with it, OSIT. In that sense, you still made a valuable discovery for you at the time :-)

I use mind maps all the time. They are great for structuring a brain-dump of seemingly random ideas into a hierarchy. From that structure you can easily see gaps/inconsistencies, and/or use the structure to drive further drill-down.

As an organizational or analysis tool they are unparalleled, and they have an incredibly diverse set of applications - anything, really, that involves analysis/organizing/representing/interacting-with a hierarchy!

I am quite a fan of watching those forensic and crime solving programmes on TV. There is one called Murder Wall in the UK where the police place on a huge board all sorts of images, photos of victims or persons of interest, maps, arrows, highlighted areas etc to provoke their brains into connecting information related to a specific crime. Not exactly the same as a mind map but I think the principle is similar. Connecting the crime dots so to speak. I definitely find it easier to assimilate information visually than mentally. If someone is spelling an unusual name for me for instance, I will ask them to write it down. Much easier for me to understand that way.

What you guys said resonated with me. I was thinking about what Gurdjieff said: using everything to help with the Work goals. So, indeed, maybe model our home atmosphere (now with the home office, even more relevant) in a certain way. It would allow us to learn/remember concepts, allow our brains to experience longer "trains" of thought patterns and generally create/keep/use a set of mind frames states, etc.. use the hardware and software we are given a bit more optimally. That is for another topic probably, but marketing, mind control, beaming, 4D tech, stun guns, etc. exploit/rely on mechanisms of the psyche, genetics, maybe the electromagnetic receptivity of our machines, which in turn make attacks and diversions possible.. there may be some clues there, too.

Create a narrative throughout your daily routine by placing ideas on/in key items/places, using their physical properties/disposition
Perhaps framing an object itself as a vehicle for meaning could be another alternative to pictures/words.

Yes and the sub/unconscious seem to work with symbolism.. and works on the colors and non-obvious concepts in the background. Creating an efficient system of triggers for certain useful mental states and "areas" inside your "house" sort of, is the general idea. One usually has situations with instant and sudden changes of mood and thoughts when one switches atmospheres (there is literature on the psychology of color, for one). Or like when you have a personal sacred/meditation space, where things just flow effortlessly and naturally (when we allow it to).

For boosting the learning process, maybe find/make and look/study mind maps, pictures that can bring up a complicated concept instantly in your mind, while listening about the topic (turn books into audio files with Text-to-Speech software and listen to them or play animated & narrated clips with concepts well drawn out), while touching or smelling objects related to the topic at hand, from a study material that has A LOT of well explained examples, which you can try for yourself quickly (seeing that you yourself are succeeding => starting on a sweet successful note and building up confidence).

And, of course, there are other techniques like spaced repetition, flashcards, mnemonics (and making things crazier so your mind notices and remembers quickly), etc. Also, for quick access to the right information, I would say Dtsearch (indexing) from Laura's posts and maybe software like Onenote or its alternatives - LibreOffice Draw, Cherrytree, zim, joplin, etc. to organize information on a topic for quick recaps and retrieval.

A blend of learning techniques, feng shui style interior design, psychophysics, etc. might prove to be a very powerful combo to change the vibe of learning and for general well-being.

A coworker of mine recently brought up a fantastic tool : excalidraw

It is an open-source, online collaborative whiteboard where diagrams can be drawn freehand or with a set of premade shapes. A drawing (or even its parts) can be saved for later reuse, allowing a modular approach for complex diagrams. This tool wasn't made specifically to draw Mind Maps however it could do a very good job at it.

Here is a few examples :

125159831-336d6880-e17a-11eb-8a3d-ceabc2555a08.png

cat.png

7qzir29fo1we.png

Back
Top Bottom