'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

I remember him from one of his documentaries, very interesting subjects. Is 411 moving into high profile cases?
It depends on what you mean by high profile. Artists? Internationally renowned people? Personally, I haven't listened to a 411 with that kind of profile yet. Well-known and respected doctors, yes, but in their own town. University directors too, scientists, yes. But perhaps others who have been following David Paulides for longer than I could give more information.

So he walked for 1km from the last time he was seen on camera, he had an umbrella. Temp was 35C. He then supposedly became disorientated at the point where he reached the marina, did not walk into it where there were no doubt tourists and bars open, but instead around the boundary fence of some 350 meters to the other side of the marina, collapsed (or sat down), died, and is not spotted by anyone until today.
Very odd indeed.

One news report stated that he could've taken a different path that would've added 3 hours to the walk. They made a big deal of how 'treacherous' the terrain was again.
From Pedi, the direct route back to Symi town should have taken around 40 minutes on foot, passing through the village of Chorio. He needed to have taken a turn out of the village at Pedi.

But at around the same time, Dr Mosley was captured by a separate CCTV camera appearing to embark on a treacherous mountainous path heading in the opposite direction, to the other side of the headland to the east.

The route would have added three hours to the walk along an old path that he first appeared to be following.
The rocky path rises above jagged limestone terrain and roughly follows the coast. However, it is not a marked trail and guidebooks warn that it is “technically difficult” terrain.

Had he managed to stick to the path though, Dr Mosley would eventually have reached the perimeter of a popular beach bar at the Agia Marina.

Police fear that, perhaps disorientated and aware he had already made a wrong turn, he veered off the path in an attempt to double back on himself. This would have taken him inland.

Dr Mosley may well have been suffering from the effects of heat exhaustion, which can cause tiredness, dizziness and nausea.

Bizarrely, the Evening Standard reported that police were given CCTV of Mosley falling while walking down the rocky ground days before his body was found, they said they had trouble identifying him.
Grainy CCTV footage also appeared to show Dr Mosley as he stumbles and falls, however police reportedly said it was not easy to identify him as he appears like a dot.

According to Live News, the footage from the cameras was handed over to police on Wednesday night or Thursday.
CCTV footage appeared to show Dr Mosley falling over close to where his body was found as his widow said he “very nearly made it” to safety.
Video footage near where the BBC presenter was found show the 67-year-old making his way down rocky ground on the Greek island of Symi.

Marina bar manager says he doesn’t know how searchers missed the body

That photo of the area you posted shows how utterly impossible it might seem to miss his body. Even if he went off on the 3 hr. excursion route, boy and girl scouts could have found him.

Others wearing plain clothes got off the boat and took briefcases up to the location.

Suppose, one could have been a coroner they brought in; the one mentioned is Coroner Grigoris Leon, who only speculates on heat exhaustion, although that seems to rule out blunt force trauma (fall or what have you).

(ashu quotes): A senior security official involved in the mission said the search for the Briton had begun to resemble “a thriller”. Mosley, he said, was being hosted by friends on the island “where distances are short”. And, yet, there had been no sightings of him.

It’s crazy, it makes no sense,” he said. “How can somebody just disappear in broad daylight, in the middle of the day? If something had happened to him we would have found him on, or near, the path he was walking along on his way back to the port where he was staying with friends. And, yet, all these hours later there’s nothing.”

So, the security official and these friends hosting him, and they seem to be saying he simply could not disappear, and yet he did and then suddenly reappeared.

I'm sure Paulides will get around to this Missing/Found story.

The below, more or less, stays on script, although it provides scenes:

Highs strangeness stuff.

Hawthorns in Celtic countries are connected with the fairies. Fall asleep under a hawthorn tree, it is said, and you are likely to be kidnapped and taken to the underworld.

Celtic fairies are not a benign force like the fairies of much modern day literature. They are rather quixotic spirits to be wary of, it is important to try and keep them happy. Crop failures, mystery illnesses, people disappearing and the death of livestock are all blamed on fairies seeking revenge and there is along tradition of putting out food and bathing water outside a front door to appease them.

A couple of years ago, my father decided to plant new fruits on his property. So now he has many berries of all kinds. He even has a thing for mulberry trees. He has several of them. So he is surrounded with berries. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.

Hawthorns in Celtic countries are connected with the fairies. Fall asleep under a hawthorn tree, it is said, and you are likely to be kidnapped and taken to the underworld.
A couple of years ago, my father decided to plant new fruits on his property. So now he has many berries of all kinds. He even has a thing for mulberry trees. He has several of them. So he is surrounded with berries. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing.
I dont think we should take these things literally.
I have one beautiful hawthorn tree nearby ( they are normally not very common on my island) and I meditate daily next to it - so far I haven't been taken to underworld, at least that I know of :-P
Mulberries are delicious so I dont blame your dad.

So, the security official and these friends hosting him, and they seem to be saying he simply could not disappear, and yet he did and then suddenly reappeared.

He may have disappeared due to a 4D overlap. Just speculating...

It could explain his disorientation.

His actual death might have been caused by a vaccination-related condition and dehydration due to the heat.

In Greece alone, three operations were launched last week to rescue tourists who disappeared while hiking on remote islands. Among the victims was the popular British television presenter Michael Mosley, whose lifeless body was found on the island of Simi.

It will be recalled that Mosley went for a walk in the heat, which turned out to be fatal after he turned and ended up on the wrong path, which additionally took him on an "incredible climb" through "rocky hills", as it turned out during the investigation.

So he made a wrong turn and the heat killed him. And what happened to other two missing cases?

Dutch tourist found dead on Greek island and 4 other foreign tourists are missing on 3 islands

ATHENS, Greece -- A missing Dutch tourist was found dead early Saturday on the eastern Greek island of Samos, local media reported, the latest in a string of recent cases in which tourists in the Greek islands have died or gone missing. Some, if not all, had set out on hikes in blistering hot temperatures.

Dr. Michael Mosley, a noted British TV anchor and author, was found dead last Sunday on the island of Symi. A coroner concluded that he had died the previous Wednesday, shortly after going for a hike over difficult, rocky terrain.

Samos, like Symi, lies very close to the Turkish coast.

The body of the 74-year-old Dutch tourist was found by a Fire Service drone lying face down in a ravine about 300 meters (330 yards) from the spot where he was last observed on Sunday, walking with some difficulty in the blistering heat.

Authorities were still searching for four people reported missing in the past few days.

On Friday, two French tourists were reported missing on Sikinos, a relatively secluded Cyclades island in the Aegean Sea, with less than 400 permanent residents.

The two women, aged 73 and 64, had left their respective hotels to meet.

A 70-year-old American tourist was reported missing Thursday on the small island of Mathraki in Greece’s northwest extremity by his host, a Greek-American friend. The tourist had last been seen Tuesday at a cafe in the company of two female tourists who have since left the island.

Mathraki, population 100, is a 3.9-square-kilometer (1.2-square-mile) heavily wooded island, west of the better-known island of Corfu. Strong winds had prevented police and the fire service from reaching the island to search for the missing person as of Saturday afternoon, media reported.

On the island of Amorgos, authorities were still searching for a 59-year-old tourist reported missing since Tuesday, when he had gone on a solo hike in very hot conditions.

U.S. media identified the missing tourist as retired Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff Albert Calibet of Hermosa Beach, California.

Amorgos, the easternmost of the Cyclades islands, is a rocky 122-square-kilometer (47-square-mile) island of less than 2,000 inhabitants. A couple of years ago the island had a record number of visitors, over 100,000.

Some media commentary has focused on the need to inform tourists of the dangers of setting off on hikes in intense heat.

Temperatures across Greece on Saturday were more than 10 degrees Celsius (18 Fahrenheit) lower than on Thursday, when they peaked at almost 45 C (113 F). They are expected to rise again from Sunday, although not to heat-wave levels.

So two persons are found dead, and four are still missing. What is going on down there? Is it just the heat, or something more?

I found this comment:

A couple of years ago in Itea, the harbor below Delphi, I found a German couple with Nordic walking sticks, whistling in the middle of the day and the temperature was 40+! I parked in the shade next to the harbor to rest and eat something. And they stopped to ask me about the road. First, I asked them if they were okay, and suggested that they sit in the shade because their faces were as red as peppers. I bring them 2 bottles of water and tell them that this is not the time to walk in Greece and that they see for themselves that there are no Greeks on the street as it is already hot. People really don't measure up. Especially pensioners who come from colder climates and do not follow the behavior of the Greeks themselves who at that time sit at home or in the shade, and drink orange juice to which they add carbonated water because it rehydrates best.

Maybe some of these cases do belong to the "Missing 411" category, but many of these people really are nuts to go on such hiking. It's not healthy for the young people to do that, not to mention elderly, as many of these people are!

Back
Top Bottom