'Missing 411', by David Paulides: Tracking unusual missing persons cases

kalibex said:
Does simply knowing that there may be a 'hand', poised to pluck you up, that this could happen at any time, confer enough protection to 'stay' that hand?

I think so. Remember: Knowledge protects, ignorance endangers. If one is informed and thus aware of all possibilities then I think it does provide protection.

I think you'll enjoy his newest book, Sobering Coincidence. The common threads of disappearances are college age men, intellectual, who are typically out drinking with friends and end up disappearing, only to end up in a nearby body of water dead. In the majority of cases, no foul play is ever considered since they have no signs of injury. Most of all these cases are post-2000, so it's only been relatively recently that something/someone has been taking young men. There's more, but do check it out.

I had listen to the Aug 30 Coast to Coast broadcast linked above with Paulides. As others have said, it was pretty interesting. When the discussion turned to Elisa Lam from BC, as discussed above, I remembered the thread on the forum and the SoTT articles concerning this - gee wiz...

David also discussed how people are jacking up the prices of his books on Amazon etc. and when I tried to see about ordering it from his website, the cost of shipping was 1.5 times the cost of the book. Add on exchange rates and taxes, it was pretty hefty. Hopefully he will be able to make a Kindle type offer one of these days.

anart said:
Gandalf said:
Zadius Sky said:
I just ordered Missing 411: Eastern United States to read on missing reports occurred in the Great Smoky Mountains as I personally often hiked there. Reading these books is making me think twice about hiking alone in any of these parks.

As a hiker too there is a rule saying that we should never hike alone. We should always hike with at least one other person if not two.

The creepy part is that many of the people in these books were hiking with others and just walked around a bend, out of sight for only a moment, and were gone. So, safety in numbers isn't always the case.

I`m hiking almost every weekend when i have a time and i never liked the idea to go alone in the wild. I always take at least one more person with me. I thought that the only danger was from animals and injuries so it was logical to have someone with you in case of that , but as i saw this book i can see that there are other things that can be even more dangerous over there in the mountains. Now it all looks so creepy to me hiking in the mountains. Its a book that everybody must read and in that way they will be more aware and with that, with that awareness maybe they will have a better protection from things that David Paulides describes in his books. I must read that book but as i can find out its a rare and expensive book.

Konstantin said:
anart said:
Gandalf said:
Zadius Sky said:
I just ordered Missing 411: Eastern United States to read on missing reports occurred in the Great Smoky Mountains as I personally often hiked there. Reading these books is making me think twice about hiking alone in any of these parks.

As a hiker too there is a rule saying that we should never hike alone. We should always hike with at least one other person if not two.

The creepy part is that many of the people in these books were hiking with others and just walked around a bend, out of sight for only a moment, and were gone. So, safety in numbers isn't always the case.

I`m hiking almost every weekend when i have a time and i never liked the idea to go alone in the wild. I always take at least one more person with me. I thought that the only danger was from animals and injuries so it was logical to have someone with you in case of that , but as i saw this book i can see that there are other things that can be even more dangerous over there in the mountains. Now it all looks so creepy to me hiking in the mountains. Its a book that everybody must read and in that way they will be more aware and with that, with that awareness maybe they will have a better protection from things that David Paulides describes in his books. I must read that book but as i can find out its a rare and expensive book.

I as well, as things have certainly changed.

On a recent hike with a group from the Sierra Club, (in the states in Reno NV.) i paid heed to the same information.

Made it a point too put my position in the middle of ten hikers as to not lose track of the front and rear positions. The front positions were at times out of sight, so i would be closely watching 2 or 3 others whom at times lagged behind. Keeping an eye on them and as well as they could see me.

And yes feel the same way. But do get out solo here during the day with familiar and experienced trails. But not much night time hiking any more as i have before.

Here's one i did solo back about 8 years ago at night, taking close to 7 hrs to finish on full moon. Spectacular.........but never again. :whistle:

https://youtu.be/_xbKFBFX1Q8

Attachments

• pinnacles2.jpg
    pinnacles2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 389
Not to creep people out even more (and apologies if this link/anecdote was referred to in any other threads), but the following description from a solo hiker who claimed to have had the incredible luck to (almost) get lured through a portal in 1980 and grabbed by...something inimical, yet somehow notice at the last instant his peril and escape back though the portal, may be useful for the details the person recalls (assuming it's indeed a true account - but some of these details remind me of the distressed account from that 'Gina' caller to a recent Coast-to-Coat Paulides interview show):

“I was walking along the trail enjoying the strong breeze and bright sunshine when, in the middle of a step, everything around me started to turn gray and blurry. The only way I can describe it was as if suddenly I was looking through someone else’s prescription sunglasses. I finished the step and started another. Every inch I moved forward the darkness increased and the gray blurring turned into a jumble of shapes that made no sense. I then seemed to pass a barrier and everything started to return back into focus when my foot reached the ground on the second step everything around me had changed. Day had turned into night and there was no wind. All the Douglas Fir and pine trees had been replaced with thick jungle-like growth. The cool thin mountain air was replaced with humid thick air. There were no stars in the sky, but there was a diffused light that let me see everything clearly, however I couldn’t tell what the light source was.

“As often happens when the human body receives a massive dose of adrenaline the entire incident appeared like it was in slow motion and even though I was only there for a second or two I had time to observe my surroundings. The silence was broken by [a] continuous high pitched keening sound, and I was nearly overwhelmed with a sense of fear and danger. My momentum caused me to take one more step before stopping in my tracks.

“It was at this point, I heard a whispered "Gotcha" over my right shoulder. I couldn’t tell if I heard it with my ears or inside my head. The word wasn’t directed at me but something said the word quietly to itself. I was so terrified I actually felt my heart stop for a moment. That whispered word is what saved me. I opened my mouth and gasped in a huge gush of thick air and recoiled backward in the same footsteps I had entered wherever I was. As I threw myself backward, I looked over my right shoulder. A dark colored hairy right hand and arm was reaching for my throat over my shoulder. The hand had pale ivory spade-shaped fingernails. The nails looked clean and almost had a manicured look to them. The thumb was placed lower (towards the wrist) on the hand than a human’s is. Both hand and arm were thin and powerful looking and both were covered with thick coarse black hair.

“I got a good look at it because the thumbnail grazed my neck (it did not break the skin) as I moved backwards. As I continued backwards, the hand clutched where my neck had been a split second before and it seemed to fade off into the distance as I returned through the Portal.

“I took two more steps backwards and everything reversed itself from what had just happened. The world around me became lighter, the fir and pines gradually came back into view and by the third step I was back on Saddle Blanket Mountain.

“I continued to move backwards in terror, and as I did, I observed that where I had just come from was a shimmering oval patch of air about the size of a large door. The woods behind it looked like it was under water. By the fifth backward step the shimmering area seemed to just evaporate and everything was back to normal. By then my lungs had nearly burst from the volume of air I had inhaled during the huge gasp I had just taken. My body felt like it was on fire from the adrenaline surge. I spun around and ran back down the trail as fast as my legs could carry me, and didn’t stop until I reached my truck. I was nearly two days getting to that place and about three hours getting back.

Again, assuming it's true, the whole event, there and back, took place in mere seconds. If nothing else, if the atmosphere/light changes around you suddenly....look out! (And immediately reverse your momentum and hope for the best...)

Read entire account at: _http://www.sunstar-solutions.com/BFvanishing.htm#trap_

c.a. said:
Here's one i did solo back about 8 years ago at night, taking close to 7 hrs to finish on full moon. Spectacular.........but never again. :whistle:

Despite the topic here, that was indeed a pretty "spectacular" place, c.a. - thanks for sharing. I noted the work of the CCC (there in the park for 9 years) to help add in sculpted trails and such.

Heimdallr said:
I think you'll enjoy his newest book, Sobering Coincidence.

'Enjoy' isn't quite the word I'd use here.

My 2 knee-jerk (pessimistic) hypotheses after reading most (skipped a few of the states during this 1st read-through as it was getting too depressing) of this book is:

The smart, accomplished, community-orientated young fellows make the best 'meals', with their deaths perhaps upsetting the most additional people beyond the immediate family
&/or
4D STS has been reaching back along timelines and taking selected 'pieces off the board' - people, who, had they reached their prime, would have inconvenienced or annoyed them.

Heimdallr said:
I think you'll enjoy his newest book, Sobering Coincidence. The common threads of disappearances are college age men, intellectual, who are typically out drinking with friends and end up disappearing, only to end up in a nearby body of water dead. In the majority of cases, no foul play is ever considered since they have no signs of injury. Most of all these cases are post-2000, so it's only been relatively recently that something/someone has been taking young men. There's more, but do check it out.

I've just listened to a recent interview with D. Paulides where he talks about the Sobering Coincidences book. He mentioned en passant, although he didn't seem to be sure, that there's a possible clustering of disappearances of young men of German descent, maybe a genetic marker among others for the targeted victims. Is this connection apparent in the book?

mkrnhr said:
I've just listened to a recent interview with D. Paulides where he talks about the Sobering Coincidences book. He mentioned en passant, although he didn't seem to be sure, that there's a possible clustering of disappearances of young men of German descent, maybe a genetic marker among others for the targeted victims. Is this connection apparent in the book?

He talks about it, as it's one of the patterns that he's tracking so far in the book.

Heimdallr said:
mkrnhr said:

He talks about it, as it's one of the patterns that he's tracking so far in the book.

Holly smokes .........great clue's..................mkrnhr and Heimdallr
Baldwin (name)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_%28name%29
The name Baldwin or Balduin is of Anglo-Saxon and Old German origin, from the Old English Bealdwine, or the Old German equivalent Baldavin, meaning "bold friend". French version Baudouin, Dutch version Boudewijn. It was frequently used in medieval Britain as a surname.[1]

Body of missing UNR student found at Yosemite National Park Updated: Fri 1:31 PM, Sep 11, 2015
_http://www.kolotv.com/news/headlines/UNR-Police-Looking-for-Missing-Student-323996411.html
_http://www.foxreno.com/news/features/noon-news-on-fox-11/stories/body-missing-unr-student-found-at-yosemite-national-park-305.shtml#.VfO4Un2gk5t
MARIPOSA COUNTY, Calif. -- The body of a UNR student who we reported missing on September 2 was reportedly found in Yosemite National Park, according to authorities.

According to an official statement from the University of Nevada, Reno, Matthew Baldwin -- a 24-year-old graduate student -- was last seen Tuesday, August 25 and had not been seen since.

The Mariposa County Sheriff's Office told Fox 11 that the remains of Matthew Baldwin were found September 6 in the El Capitan Gully area of the park. Ashley Mayer, a Yosemite National Park ranger, said Baldwin's body was initially discovered by helicopter and recovered by park officials on September 7.

A vehicle that was linked to Baldwin had been left unattended in an area of park that had been temporarily closed and undergoing flee treatment, Ranger Mayer said.

No foul play is suspected at this time, according to the sheriff's office.

Cause of death and circumstances are under investigation by the National Park Service, Ranger Mayer said.

Attachments

• Matthew+Baldwin+photos.jpg
    Matthew+Baldwin+photos.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 323
Heimdallr said:
The common threads of disappearances are college age men, intellectual, who are typically out drinking with friends and end up disappearing, only to end up in a nearby body of water dead.
This is another reason for people not to drink. It could be drinking lowers awareness and defenses of people to make their abduction more likely, or it could be alcohol itself is a component in the mechanism of abduction.

kalibex said:
Not to creep people out even more (and apologies if this link/anecdote was referred to in any other threads), but the following description from a solo hiker who claimed to have had the incredible luck to (almost) get lured through a portal in 1980 and grabbed by...something inimical, yet somehow notice at the last instant his peril and escape back though the portal, may be useful for the details the person recalls (assuming it's indeed a true account - but some of these details remind me of the distressed account from that 'Gina' caller to a recent Coast-to-Coat Paulides interview show):

“I was walking along the trail enjoying the strong breeze and bright sunshine when, in the middle of a step, everything around me started to turn gray and blurry. The only way I can describe it was as if suddenly I was looking through someone else’s prescription sunglasses. I finished the step and started another. Every inch I moved forward the darkness increased and the gray blurring turned into a jumble of shapes that made no sense. I then seemed to pass a barrier and everything started to return back into focus when my foot reached the ground on the second step everything around me had changed. Day had turned into night and there was no wind. All the Douglas Fir and pine trees had been replaced with thick jungle-like growth. The cool thin mountain air was replaced with humid thick air. There were no stars in the sky, but there was a diffused light that let me see everything clearly, however I couldn’t tell what the light source was.

“As often happens when the human body receives a massive dose of adrenaline the entire incident appeared like it was in slow motion and even though I was only there for a second or two I had time to observe my surroundings. The silence was broken by [a] continuous high pitched keening sound, and I was nearly overwhelmed with a sense of fear and danger. My momentum caused me to take one more step before stopping in my tracks.

“It was at this point, I heard a whispered "Gotcha" over my right shoulder. I couldn’t tell if I heard it with my ears or inside my head. The word wasn’t directed at me but something said the word quietly to itself. I was so terrified I actually felt my heart stop for a moment. That whispered word is what saved me. I opened my mouth and gasped in a huge gush of thick air and recoiled backward in the same footsteps I had entered wherever I was. As I threw myself backward, I looked over my right shoulder. A dark colored hairy right hand and arm was reaching for my throat over my shoulder. The hand had pale ivory spade-shaped fingernails. The nails looked clean and almost had a manicured look to them. The thumb was placed lower (towards the wrist) on the hand than a human’s is. Both hand and arm were thin and powerful looking and both were covered with thick coarse black hair.

“I got a good look at it because the thumbnail grazed my neck (it did not break the skin) as I moved backwards. As I continued backwards, the hand clutched where my neck had been a split second before and it seemed to fade off into the distance as I returned through the Portal.

“I took two more steps backwards and everything reversed itself from what had just happened. The world around me became lighter, the fir and pines gradually came back into view and by the third step I was back on Saddle Blanket Mountain.

“I continued to move backwards in terror, and as I did, I observed that where I had just come from was a shimmering oval patch of air about the size of a large door. The woods behind it looked like it was under water. By the fifth backward step the shimmering area seemed to just evaporate and everything was back to normal. By then my lungs had nearly burst from the volume of air I had inhaled during the huge gasp I had just taken. My body felt like it was on fire from the adrenaline surge. I spun around and ran back down the trail as fast as my legs could carry me, and didn’t stop until I reached my truck. I was nearly two days getting to that place and about three hours getting back.

Again, assuming it's true, the whole event, there and back, took place in mere seconds. If nothing else, if the atmosphere/light changes around you suddenly....look out! (And immediately reverse your momentum and hope for the best...)

Read entire account at: _http://www.sunstar-solutions.com/BFvanishing.htm#trap_
Thanks for sharing this. Although I spent much time when I was young in the wilderness alone I've not encountered anything truly negative, no abduction like experiences that I know of. As a teen I did scare myself at times, but who knows?
Nature has been always my teacher and friend. I don't like the idea that I can't trust the protective arms of the natural world, as I did in my youth. But will examine this deeply. I will pay attention to possible dimensional shifts in the future, I've seen them as described before, but from a safe distance. I have been living in Albuquerque for many years and it's starting to get strange out here, IMO.
I wish I could say that Paulides is full of baloney but I don't think he is. Somehow I've always felt protected while hiking alone. But knowledge is power. Thanks.

JLynne said:
Nature has been always my teacher and friend. I don't like the idea that I can't trust the protective arms of the natural world, as I did in my youth.

Not to be facetious, but...if what is being described is a predator / predation of humans...then that's also very natural. Not fun for us...but 'natural'. :/

I suspect the real problem for most contemplating this possibility would be the cognitive dissonance... 'We're top of the food chain!' / 'We're edible!' / 'Nothing can touch us!' / 'Something's picking us off randomly!'

Speaking of humility....were we to lose our 'top of the food chain' status, that would arguably be the ultimate 'humbling' experience...

Heimdallr said:

It is also happening in other countries.
In Manchester Canals, UK, 62 men since 2008 have been found dead in the water with no apparent cause of death. In one case, the victim David Plunkett's chilling screams were heard by a 999 call handler, after his parents took a call from David only to hear him screaming and howling, they dialed 999 on another phone so the 999 handler could hear.
There are 80 cases of a similar nature in Manchester if you include other Manchester waterways.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/424390/Manchester-canal-Pusher-killer-students-deaths-tragic-parents-find-murderer

It also happens in France

http://www.leparisien.fr/lille-59000/nord-le-corps-d-un-jeune-homme-repeche-dans-la-deule-22-05-2015-4794569.php

http://www.parismatch.com/Actu/Societe/La-Deule-canal-maudit-159949

Back
Top Bottom