More sinkholes

This Tuesday there was a landslide during the works for the construction of a new metro line in Sao Paulo, Brazil, which caused a sinkhole to form near the Marhinal Tietê, one of the most important highways in the city and with more connectivity between different regions.

All the workers of the work managed to leave the facilities on time and only two received precautionary care after having been in contact with "contaminated water", according to the firefighters.

In images captured by a helicopter from the Globonews television channel, the moment in which the water flows through the tunnel is observed and a crater is opened that engulfs some pieces of asphalt, as the walls of the open hole give way due to the force of the water.

A gigantic sinkhole appeared at the Alcaparrosa Mine in Tierra Amarilla, Atacama, Chile, on Saturday, July 30, 2022.

Inhabitants of Tierra Amarilla, Atacama region, report this Saturday, July 30, 2022, the appearance of a huge sinkhole.

As can be seen in the videos shared on social networks, the gigantic hole has large dimensions and it was recommended not to go to the place, since it is not known if there are more unstable places or how fast the hole can grow.
Cristóbal Zúñiga, the mayor of the commune, announced this phenomenon and emphasized that they hope to clarify the circumstances in which this sinkhole occurred.

The inhabitants of this commune are concerned, since the sinkhole has been increasing in size and could reach the vicinity of their homes.

Added: it looks like maybe they just fell in an old, covered up, well - see part 2 of the video from Twitter.

I don't remember seeing this video before, and there's no additional information so it may be old and i just missed it. If for any reason it's pulled, it's a group of girls dancing around in a circle with their arms around each others shoulders, and then they suddenly fall into a sink hole.

It was posted on youtube here, according to Yandex, but it has now been made private. A quick search yields nothing.

Last edited:
Added: it looks like maybe they just fell in an old, covered up, well - see part 2 of the video from Twitter.

I don't remember seeing this video before, and there's no additional information so it may be old and i just missed it. If for any reason it's pulled, it's a group of girls dancing around in a circle with their arms around each others shoulders, and then they suddenly fall into a sink hole.

It was posted on youtube here, according to Yandex, but it has now been made private. A quick search yields nothing.
It doesn’t look like a sink hole but more like a man hole. look at the 3rd video you see that the hole is made of brick, just careless covering with asphalt it seem.

It doesn’t look like a sink hole but more like a man hole. look at the 3rd video you see that the hole is made of brick, just careless covering with asphalt it seem.

Yes, i agree. See the reply of my text that you quoted, the part in bold, i noticed the same. I didn't come across the video that shows that aspect till later, and edited my post accordingly.

Two senior women and a man got stuck in a gaping sinkhole in a Long Island front yard Thursday, authorities say.

Suffolk County cops say they initially responded to a home in Huntington Station just after 6 a.m. for a report of a woman stuck in a hole in the ground. When they arrived, they found her — and two others, a man and a woman — in the hole.

The first woman, 71-year-old Luz Bedoya, fell into the hole as she walked out the front door in the pre-dawn darkness on her way to work. Doorbell video shows her leaving the home, when the ground beneath her feet suddenly gave way.

A man and a woman then ran to try and help, but they too wound up falling into the hole.
Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 21-22-30 3 People Found Stuck in Gaping Sinkhole on New York Front Lawn.png

The hole was about eight feet deep and 10 feet wide, according to Orengo, and smack in the front yard of the single-family home on West 10th Street.

Orengo grabbed this extension cord and a ladder, and with the help of two Suffolk County police officers, rescued his wife and the two others. He was thankful for the way it ended: without tragedy.

"Everybody is doing okay thank God...It could have been worse," he said.

The three people were taken to a hospital for evaluation, police said. One of them wasn't hurt; Bedoya suffered only minor injuries.

In Spanish, Bedoya said she was screaming and asking for help — but she knew no one would answer because it was too dark. While in the hole, Bedoya was able to use her cellphone to call for help.

Police say the Town of Huntington Building Inspector was called to evaluate the property and determine what caused the hole. It wasn't clear if authorities believed it may have been weather-related. Heavy rains moved across parts of Long Island Wednesday afternoon and into part of the latter evening hours.

Huntington town inspectors speculate a combination of a water pipe leak and the heavy rain from the night before resulted in the ground opening up.

An investigation is ongoing.

Oakland, CA

Screenshot 2023-01-27 at 21-32-52 sinkhole - Twitter Search _ Twitter.png

How come, that sinkholes often seem to be very circular ?

I haven't seen sinkholes which are coming more of long ovals or significant other different shapes. (I am not sure - it's just something that popped into my mind right now. I haven't seen too many images of sinkholes, but the ones I have seen after years, always seem to be... well, very circular).

Homes evacuated, sinkhole forms after water main bursts in Hollywood
Feb 4, 2023

Philippines
LOOK: Implementation of preemptive evacuation after there was a sinkhole in the part of Brgy. Sabang, Danao City, Cebu where one person died, the CDRRMO continues to study. | via Guam Logroño, Super Radio Cebu ( : Danao City Police Station)

A 70-year-old woman in New York fell into a 6-foot-deep hole after a sinkhole opened while she was walking through her front yard.

The incident occurred on Jan. 26 in Huntington Station, a census-designated place in Suffolk County, Long Island, according to a report from FOX 5 New York.

Two men attempted to rescue the woman, but they both fell into the hole as well.

FRIGHTENING POOL SINKHOLE THAT OPENED BENEATH SWIMMERS AT A PARTY TAKES LIFE OF MAN

"Suffolk County Police Second Precinct officers responded to 62 West 10th St., Huntington Station, on January 26 at 6:07 a.m. following a report of a woman stuck in a hole in the ground," a public information officer for the Suffolk County Police Department wrote in an email this week to Fox News Digital.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 10-14-44 Sinkhole in New York woman's front yard swallows her and 2 p...png
The sinkhole measured approximately six feet in width and depth, according to officers who arrived at the scene.

"One of the officers, aided by a bystander, reached into the hole and pulled one person to safety," the Suffolk County Police Department’s public information officer wrote. "In the meantime, a second officer retrieved a ladder from a neighbor and placed it in the hole for the remaining two people to climb out."

Ring doorbell footage appears to have captured the moment when the ground quickly collapsed under the woman, as recently shared on YouTube by FOX 5 New York.

The two men who attempted to rescue the woman are reportedly in their 60s. One of the men sustained injuries and was transferred to Huntington Hospital for evaluation along with the woman.

Screenshot 2023-02-05 at 10-17-24 Sinkhole in New York woman's front yard swallows her and 2 p...png
"The Town of Huntington Building Inspector was called to evaluate the property and determine the cause of the hole," the Suffolk County Police Department’s public information officer wrote.

Fox News Digital reached out to the Town of Huntington’s building inspector for comment.

This one is kinda weird, similar to the beet field sinkhole.
It happened out in a pasture, so there aren’t any manmade underground sewer pipes, water pipes and refilled excavation to cave in and shift.
Bozeman is in the state of Montana.
I’ve copied a couple of the photos from the article as the website access is kinda wonky.

“A horse was rescued yesterday by a smorgasbord of responders after it fell into a hole in a pasture outside of Bozeman.
The 1,200-pound animal fell into a hole reportedly 10 to 12 feet deep, but was able to walk out relatively unharmed after its rescue.
In order to retrieve the horse, an angled depression, or an additional hole, was excavated next to the original hole and the horse ultimately made its way to safety.”
5C730801-92FB-4281-9C74-1C0879CBA6B8.jpeg

8AB6BB6E-D251-4480-8C82-583B7BB51C05.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom