MP attacks Channel Ten over 9/11 conspiracy film

timmale

The Force is Strong With This One
Hi All!

I was actually surprised when I seen "In Plain Sight" air on prime time here in Australia!

I am however, not surprised to see that we get the typical response from our "Coalition of the Willing" Government!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Source: ABC Australia News Online: http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200609/s1738220.htm
Monday, September 11, 2006. 4:30pm (AEST)
MP attacks Channel Ten over 9/11 conspiracy film

A Labor backbencher has attacked Channel Ten for screening a film on Saturday night about a conspiracy theory that the United States Government staged the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.

The member for Melbourne Ports, Michael Danby, says the documentary In Plain Sight was a calculated insult to the American people and victims of the terrorist attacks.

Mr Danby says Channel Ten should be ashamed of broadcasting the program, which he says was an abominable act of bad taste.

"Ten's major shareholder, Mr Izzy Asper of CanWest, should sack the programming director of Channel 10 for broadcasting this barking mad conspiracy program," he said.

"[It] claimed all American political parties, officials, airlines and the news networks were collaborators in a plot to murder their fellow citizens, over 3,000 innocent people, including some of our own countrymen, Australians."

"Are there no standards we can expect from Channel Ten? Have they no sense of shame for trying to kill again the memory of those cruelly murdered five years ago by Al Qaeda?

"Can you imagine the reaction if a US network produced a similar broadcast about the murders of Australians in Bali?

"I'm sure I share the contempt and derision of the Australian people and its Parliament for this abominable act of bad taste by Channel Ten on the eve of the September 11th mass murder [anniversary]."

timmale said:
Mr Danby says Channel Ten should be ashamed of broadcasting the program, which he says was an abominable act of bad taste.

"Ten's major shareholder, Mr Izzy Asper of CanWest, should sack the programming director of Channel 10 for broadcasting this barking mad conspiracy program," he said.
Mr Danby needs to check his facts before delivering these kinds of rants. Israel Asper died in 2003 according to this article. Ironically, it seems he was a strong supporter of Zionism, just like Mr. Danby himself. Incidentally, Danby previously urged Australian journalist Antony Loewenstein's publisher to drop his forthcoming book on Israel, presumably because Loewenstein takes a more objective view of Israel's psychopathic behaviour towards the Palestinians.

I saw In Plane Site several months ago when it premiered on Network Ten. (Funny how it got no response then, but I guess Ten's September 11 anniversary broadcast made people more sensitive.) At the time, I too was surprised that a commercial station had the guts to air it.

As for that complete and utter moron of a politician, he obviously didn't take in a single thing that the program tried to get across. Instead, he just saw "barking mad conspiracy!!!" and began his rant from there. The fact that the politician was from Labor (the so-called "left-wing"), demonstrates how non-left-wing Labor really has become.

In his rhetorical questions
Are there no standards we can expect from Channel Ten? Have they no sense of shame for trying to kill again the memory of those cruelly murdered five years ago by Al Qaeda?
he totally misses the point. The point of such programs as In Plane Site and books such as Laura's The Ultimate Truth is to uncover a little thing called "the truth". It has nothing to do with emotion or rhetoric. To that end, it is a far more honourable thing to do for those innocent victims of September 11 than some hyped-up, ignorant, raving politician claiming that such programs "kill the memory" of said victims.

He then goes on:

Can you imagine the reaction if a US network produced a similar broadcast about the murders of Australians in Bali?
This reveals his vast ignorance once again. Clearly he is unaware that SBS aired a program in 2005 ("Dateline") which exposed the Bali bombings for what they were -- government-sponsored acts of terror. The corrupt police-controlled government of Indonesia was shown to be behind the bombings, and were also shown to carry out various "terrorist" activities to get international aid from other governments. You can see the transcript of this Dateline program at http://members.iimetro.com.au/~hubbca/indonesia.htm

I'm sure I share the contempt and derision of the Australian people and its Parliament for this abominable act of bad taste by Channel Ten on the eve of the September 11th mass murder [anniversary].
I'm sure you know nothing about anything.

I thought it might just be relevant to print part of the description of Danby, that Ryan gave a link to. Party affiliation says very little these days, if it ever meant anything. This should be something to take note of for those, who believe that everything will be just rosy if only the opposition got into power. The rot goes deeper than that!

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Danby
Danby was President of the Melbourne University Student Union as well as President of the Australasian Union of Jewish Students[1].

Danby has been an Opposition Whip since November 2001. He is currently the only Jewish member of the Australian Parliament and has frequently spoken in support of Israel and in opposition to anti-Semitism and other forms of racism.

Danby has sometimes been accused of being hostile to Muslims or to Islam[citation needed]. He countered this accusation in an article in the Australian Financial Review in November 2005. (see link below)

In 2005 Danby was critical of a forthcoming book by a Sydney journalist, Antony Loewenstein, about the Australian Jewish community and its attitudes to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict [2]. In a letter to the Australian Jewish News, Danby called in the book's publisher, Melbourne University Press, to "drop this whole disgusting project." he also called on the Jewish community to boycott the book. "I urge the Australian Jewish community, and particularly the Australian Jewish News, to treat it with dignified silence," he said.[1]
From this other site, we learn that he is the opposition's loudest Israel supporter.: http://www.mumble.com.au/federal/pend04/seats/melbourne_ports.htm

Anders

Feel free to contact the (misinformed) MP and let him know your thoughts!

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=WF6

Back
Top Bottom