My High Strangeness event

AutomatedMan

Padawan Learner
I had a strong urge to post this after trying to listen to the 'X-Files, Mothman and the inimitable John Keel' SOTT podcast episode that just aired. I remembered watching a Mothman prophecies documentary on Netflix back in mid to late 2011 and wanted to see if I could find it online and share it with the group at some point. I also wanted to share it with my girlfriend to give her some background context for the podcast. I found the documentary "Eyes of the Mothman" while writing this post, but encountered something more interesting. I searched google and found a post on Ghost Theory, a paranormal site that hosted youtube links to the documentary. The links were broken and the documentary wasn't the one I had seen. Instead, I decide to check the front page though of Ghost Theory to see what it was about and found this article: When your sleep app records more than just your sleep

The article title triggered a gut reaction that reminded me of a similar event I had back in October of 2014. As I read the article I found similarities between what happened to me and what happened to the women who posted on Reddit's /r/Ghost/ subreddit. I'm not certain of the date but somewhere between October 14 and October 18th, 2014, I managed to record a conversation between myself and another voice using the Sleep as Andriod app on my phone. From early 2013 on, I had been trying to improve my sleep and eventually narrowed down the cause to my loud snoring, and generally noticed more snoring equaled crappier sleep. The app has an optional function to record if triggered over a certain decible range. It records movements and sounds, capturing my loud snoring and the prayer of the soul right before I went to bed :). By the time of the recording, I had been wearing a mouth guard that prevented my snoring for more than a month, obviously reducing the number of recordings. Like the women in the above article, I would occasionaly hear clicking on the recordings. Just to clarify, my apartment windows and doors had always been locked, though I didn't lock my bedroom door back then (I only began that after this event, as well as leaving the bathroom light on :-[). Getting back to the article, the women posted a recording and sleep data from that night. I have a few recordings that i saved from that night but the one I'm posting is the recording exchange with this voice. Here's the shared link from my Google Drive account: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19ClomjYRJnQmMydVdGbGJ4NmM/view?usp=drivesdk It's short, not so sweet and creepy, considering I don't remember this happening at all. Judging from other recordings that I saved from that night, it sounds like I slowly got up out of bed before and after this 'conversation' took place. I can't tell based on the file name, which seems to resemble a timestamp of sorts, as to when these were all recorded in a time sequence. Again this took place almost 2 years ago so I'm relying on my inherently faulty memory for the events surrounding it.

I've been reluctant to post this for numerous reasons. I wasn't sure where to post it, how to ask for feedback on this event and have been generally unsettled about it to the point of being afraid to talk about it with more than just a handful of people. This event also happened around the time I had a strong motivational push to get back into the Cassiopaea forum and begin earnestly reading all the books and begin participating in the forum again. Also at that time, I had been almost 2 weeks into the ketogenic diet as I began it around October 5th, 2014. I remember feeling largely depressed throughout the summer 2014, which was likely a combination of my health, my diet, my dysfunctional job and personal life all weighing down on me. I'm not sure what everyone here can make of the recording and I apologize for holding back on this out of fear of reprisal from whatever that was I encountered. I'm tired of being apprehensive about the whole event and just want to see if I can figure out what may have happened that night and if you all had any suggestions.

AutomatedMan said:
Here's the shared link from my Google Drive account: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B19ClomjYRJnQmMydVdGbGJ4NmM/view?usp=drivesdk It's short, not so sweet and creepy, considering I don't remember this happening at all.

I only hear one voice on that recording. Is it yours? It sounds like someone mumbling something in their sleep.

Joe said:
I only hear one voice on that recording. Is it yours? It sounds like someone mumbling something in their sleep.

That's my voice or at least what I'm familiar with from listening to from recordings. I agree it sounds like I'm just mumbling but it's because I have the snore guard in my mouth, which makes my voice sound muffled. If you listen, you can tell a difference between my voice and the other one, which sounds like its coming from another part of the room and has a clearer projection. Here's what I've interpreted from the conversation:

Me: "There's something I needed to tell you"
Other: "Is (it/that) on?"
Me: "Oh really"
[sounds like movement on the bed and phone moved]
Me: (Sigh) "That's what I thought"

I can post a recording of me talking with my snore guard in if you all would like!

AutomatedMan said:
Joe said:

That's my voice or at least what I'm familiar with from listening to from recordings. I agree it sounds like I'm just mumbling but it's because I have the snore guard in my mouth, which makes my voice sound muffled. If you listen, you can tell a difference between my voice and the other one, which sounds like its coming from another part of the room and has a clearer projection. Here's what I've interpreted from the conversation:

I can post a recording of me talking with my snore guard in if you all would like!

Is there any other reason to think there was something else involved here? I mean, do you remember anything unusual from that night? I still don't hear anything discernible as something else, some rustling which could have been you moving around etc. Where was the phone that you used to record? Keep in mind that during sleep a person can say lots of things in different pitches and tones of voice and also make lots of different movements.

Joe said:
Is there any other reason to think there was something else involved here? I mean, do you remember anything unusual from that night? I still don't hear anything discernible as something else, some rustling which could have been you moving around etc. Where was the phone that you used to record? Keep in mind that during sleep a person can say lots of things in different pitches and tones of voice and also make lots of different movements.
I don't remember anything significant from that night. I believe I got up once but don't remember where I went. Every time in which I do get up has been captured in recordings. The phone I had then was a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I would always put it on on the corner of my bed, just under my pillow, basically to the right of my head. The 'swooshing' sound was usually my blanket or the pillow brushing against the phone's microphone as I got up or moved around. I know I used to say things in my sleep but I don't seem to anymore. I have been recording things on my phone from early 2013 and up until last fall. I would re-listening to each of the recordings and delete them or tag them if they had things in them like clicking sounds, other weird sounds or snoring. I've only found myself talking in a few instances while getting up in the morning and just before going to bed but not during the night. I'm not sure if that helps at all. I haven't been as diligent at checking my recordings as I used to. The app deletes the recordings after a week so, if it's not tagged or marked, it won't get saved.

I agree with you Joe, I'm hoping it was just talking out loud that night. I keep wanting to think it's just me having a conversation in the middle of the night but when I hear that voice, I really don't think that's me responding.

It's hard to tell in the audio what's being said and I cannot really make anything out. My mom talks in her sleep. It's half coherent, and half unintelligible mumbling. I think it may be more common than we think and maybe it's just that some people process dreams with their voice too?

I don't hear anything strange in the recording. It all sounds like the same voice, equally muffled, but the variation in speech tone is expected for sleep talk.

3D Student said:
It's hard to tell in the audio what's being said and I cannot really make anything out. My mom talks in her sleep. It's half coherent, and half unintelligible mumbling. I think it may be more common than we think and maybe it's just that some people process dreams with their voice too?

I kinda wish the audio was better as well. Listening from a browser, it does sound unintelligible and the rustling from the covers makes hearing the conversation difficult. I thought providing this to everyone might help shed some light on it but the audio quality and my mumbling seem to make it difficult for people to discern what's going on. I've listened to it on the VLC player and it seems to come through a little clearer for me. I'm worried since I know my voice, I may be biasing myself towards specific interpretations of what was said. I can't describe the fear and shock though when I woke up to listen to that the next morning! I know I'm basing my interpretations on feeling and that other voice could be mine but I'm still not certain of it. Either way, I'm grateful that the moderator's didn't put me in the 'Baked Noodle' section!

To your point about processing dreams, 3D Student, back around that time my dreams became intensely violent, likely because I started keto. I also had a zombie dream back then where an old coworker and I were getting attacked and I was about die. I woke up kicking, feeling frightened and incredibly agitated. It might have been some of transition symptoms of keto coming through still and this was how I was 'dealing with it'.

Dreams about death can often be a reflection of yourself changing (the "old" self "dies"). It sounds like you were going through a lot of changes at the time.

AutomatedMan said:
Joe said:

I think I could hear some of the above. I know my mother talks in her sleep some times and even asks questions etc... And I have had dreams that I am being attacked and have punched and kicked waking my wife who yelled at me to stop. So, this seems very much like talking in your sleep to me. FWIW :/

The clip is difficult to hear, but the part that says "is it on" does seem like it is coming from another direction. Perhaps you turned away from the recorder, but it does sound different to me, farther away.

One other thing to add into the mix is that we really don't know our own voice. How I sound in my own head and how I sound on a recording is different and usually awkward to listen to.

I really appreciate the feedback from everyone! I realized this clip played horribly from my browser as it seemed to for everyone on the thread, so I had to do something about it. I improved the audio track and used the open-source program Audacity through the whole process. Here's the new ogg file https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B19ClomjYRJnSnlrb3d4QlVDMUU. I apologize for making you download the file to listen to it. Google can't recognize the ogg file extention as an audio file for some reason and is marking it as a movie and not letting you play it from the shared link. Since it's an .ogg file, you'll have to use the VLC Player or another audio player that can play it. I can test hosting this file on Dropbox if this really becomes and issue!

I did a lot of noise correction around the voices and then tried to normalize the track to bring out the vocals so that you may be able to tell the difference between the voices. I had trouble with the first portion and it sounds quieter/more muffled than the rest because I ran over it with another noise filter. There's still the trouble of what my voice sounds like but I'm pretty certain I'm the first one. I think I sound hypnotized in the exchange. I could also recognize the lisp from my snore guard I was wearing (here's a link to the device). Try and compare it with the original audio sample and let me know your thoughts!

AutomatedMan said:
I really appreciate the feedback from everyone! I realized this clip played horribly from my browser as it seemed to for everyone on the thread, so I had to do something about it. I improved the audio track and used the open-source program Audacity through the whole process. Here's the new ogg file https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B19ClomjYRJnSnlrb3d4QlVDMUU. I apologize for making you download the file to listen to it. Google can't recognize the ogg file extention as an audio file for some reason and is marking it as a movie and not letting you play it from the shared link. Since it's an .ogg file, you'll have to use the VLC Player or another audio player that can play it. I can test hosting this file on Dropbox if this really becomes and issue!

I did a lot of noise correction around the voices and then tried to normalize the track to bring out the vocals so that you may be able to tell the difference between the voices. I had trouble with the first portion and it sounds quieter/more muffled than the rest because I ran over it with another noise filter. There's still the trouble of what my voice sounds like but I'm pretty certain I'm the first one. I think I sound hypnotized in the exchange. I could also recognize the lisp from my snore guard I was wearing (here's a link to the device). Try and compare it with the original audio sample and let me know your thoughts!

AutomatedMan,

With your supplied interpretation of the words this version sounds close to the questions and answers you posted. I don't think it sounds ominous or anything. To me it sounds like your voice for the questions and the answers. Maybe you had some surrounding dream sequences that caused you to wake in an agitated frame of mind.

As you said:

Again this took place almost 2 years ago so I'm relying on my inherently faulty memory for the events surrounding it.

Unless there is something else continuing to disturb you I wouldn't continue to dwell on it. It seems fairly normal or common to me. Is there something recently that has given you some negative emotions? :huh:

goyacobol said:
Unless there is something else continuing to disturb you I wouldn't continue to dwell on it. It seems fairly normal or common to me. Is there something recently that has given you some negative emotions? :huh:

I have had spats of racing thoughts and emotions though throughout June and July but I attribute that to some repressed emotions/anxiety that came out through some intense chiropractor adjustment sessions. I had some flashbacks of when I was recovering from an injury a few years back and that signaled to me that the alignment likely helped to release some pent up negative emotions. I still have to read Gabor Mate's "When the Body Says No" but what I experienced seems in line with his argument that repressed emotions can manifest themselves in physical symptoms and vice versa.

I probably should have posted this back when this happened as it was bothering me much more then. I'm not sure what to make of it but it still creeps me out when I listen to it. Either way, I shouldn't dwell on it and considering I haven't experienced anything since then, I'm glad that's in the past! Although things in the world have been getting incredibly worse, things in my life have improved a bit since then, largely in part to the information and research done here on the forum.

Back
Top Bottom