My new band

New single is out today, thanks as always for your support!

Loved the singing! IMO the best your voice has sounded from what I've heard of your music and bolstered by a great vocal arrangement. I really liked how you mixed it too. They synth bass came up and carried sections where I expected the guitar to be over top of it. I'm always a fan of the bass groove carrying a section rhythmically. At 1:26 the drum pickup you did just changed everything in my ears. Super detailed.

I wasn't sure about the main synth sound (Harpsi-ish?) on the first listen - then I realized how you were playing it against the bass later in the track. It left all this head room without the synth bottom end for the bass to bounce up and groove. Awesome.

On a drum machine nerd point - the kick is perfect. Punchy and deep.

Loved the singing! IMO the best your voice has sounded from what I've heard of your music and bolstered by a great vocal arrangement. I really liked how you mixed it too. They synth bass came up and carried sections where I expected the guitar to be over top of it. I'm always a fan of the bass groove carrying a section rhythmically. At 1:26 the drum pickup you did just changed everything in my ears. Super detailed.

I wasn't sure about the main synth sound (Harpsi-ish?) on the first listen - then I realized how you were playing it against the bass later in the track. It left all this head room without the synth bottom end for the bass to bounce up and groove. Awesome.

On a drum machine nerd point - the kick is perfect. Punchy and deep.

many thanks my friend! yeah it's pretty comfortable range for my voice this one, I didn't have to push anything as I wanted the song to sound more uplifting and flow, almost a gentle (if that's possible for my songs haha) the lower range also makes it easier to sing close to the mic and get those little nuances without fighting the rest of the mix :)

yeah it felt right to push the guitars back and let the bass do the "talking" again a more gentle approach, more groove less grind ;)

hahah yeah I love that pickup too, the laboured simple beat before it just begs for it right!

yeah the (I think the kids call it trance synth) line was what started the whole track, it took me a while to balance it with the bass when I was producing the track and came up with the idea as you mentioned so there would be some more "bounce"

haha I sculpted that kick for a while, it's a 22" maple DW shell with a modified electronic click added for top end.

thanks for taking the time to have a listen and for your comments, it means a lot that you get what I am trying to do with this stuff!!

The "uplifting flow" on your singing describes the approach perfectly. That's what made me listen to the track a number of times. Really amazing choices. Glad you didn't listen to my kid and use an auto-tuner ;-) I think the human voice is the most "connective tissue" we have in music - coming from someone who can't sing and only wants to play instrumental music ;-)

I know it's kind of personal, but I'd like to know where you get your lyrical ideas from and how you turn them into a song. I'm guessing you might struggle with trying to capture a moment or idea (FRV based?) that separates itself from our shared musical cultural milieu that may not always be uplifting? That's how I feel sometimes. A tension. I love Black Sabbath - don't want to repeat the darkness - but what do I do?

Really amazing choices. Glad you didn't listen to my kid and use an auto-tuner ;-) I think the human voice is the most "connective tissue" we have in music - coming from someone who can't sing and only wants to play instrumental music ;-)
Thank you, yeah, I usually only use autotune for effect rather than to tune my voice, I think by using it to "correct" every nuance makes them sound lifeless, we are not perfect, we are imperfectly perfect haha so I think this adds to the emotion, when I am really in the zone for singing, my voice does all sorts of things that it "shouldn't" because I am feeling the emotion of what I am singing, and I find that much more interesting and "real" than making myself sound perfect.

I know it's kind of personal, but I'd like to know where you get your lyrical ideas from and how you turn them into a song. I'm guessing you might struggle with trying to capture a moment or idea (FRV based?) that separates itself from our shared musical cultural milieu that may not always be uplifting? That's how I feel sometimes. A tension. I love Black Sabbath - don't want to repeat the darkness - but what do I do?

Yeah I agree, I tend to write lyrics that are more covert than overt, the words I choose have specific meaning to me, that most others will never know or understand, but I think with the right choice the listener can get a sense of what I am meaning.

Most of the time I will start with the melody, then the title then I will write the lyrics, but it does vary, sometimes things just come to me straight away and I've written many songs over the years where I actually didn't know exactly what they were about until years later, some of them are almost prophetic. I also wrote poetry and have books full of them, so I when I am struggling to find the lyrics for something I'll open up the books and start with a phrase.

There is IMO a download happening, like I have said before, it's my very much simplified version of channeling, the ideas flow through me and my experience and emotion and energy colours it and shapes it.

I don't think there is anything wrong with darker lyrics, the world is a dark place, and to express that and get it out is cathartic, and plenty of people can resonate with that. That being said, I do all I can to not wallow or make songs that are hopeless, there's always a hint of hope or a lesson to be learned. And I think tension is great thing in music, it's balance, there can be no light in our world without shadow after all.

This particular track is about gratitude, the title is a play on words, two things that I am extremely grateful for, knight (Laura and her work and this forum, without which I don't honestly know where I would be) and nightshade plant, tobacco haha which helps me think and relax and again has helped me through this journey.

here are the lyrics :)

Knightshade

Hold, hold and you’ll see me
With all found in the melody
Core red sound off the memory
I fathom the mind
Seven in kind
The one two fight

Sailing
The world is your
Own wonder
We’re blessed and we’re free
As long as we see
We’re free

Whole soul is for feeding
Recall higher the frequency
She said find and increase the speed
To gather the right
Kind and in kind
The one true light

Sailing
The world is your
Own wonder
As long as we see
We’re free

We’re heading to Annwn
Across horizons schisms and old false heart
Higher signal
Leave the light on
Shine bright vigil
Honour the old son
It’s going to be alright

Sailing
The world is your
Own wonder
As long as we see
We’re free

Nice sound Baz, I like it! I dunno why but something about it reminds me a bit of the band Tool & their song Stinkfist. I know little to nothing about the technicalities of music, so I could be way off the mark!

Back
Top Bottom