Mysterious Wisconsin Wonder Spot

DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THIS IS?

I suspect it's one of those optical illusions where they mess your brain up by making the angles not 90 degrees. He's probably selling cause it won't work in 4th density :)

http://www.mysteryspot.com/index.html

You may want to visit this site. Last I looked they had an article that explained the whys and wherefores of the Mystery Spot. Basically, it's an optical illusion from my understanding. There are several around the country if you want to check one out. If you are anywhere near this particular site another interesting place is the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California. The link is for the mystery spot located in Santa Cruz, California.

Actually there is a road on the mountains in Cyprus where you can stop your car completely and the car goes upward by itself, instead of downwards! I don't know if it's the same thing though, and when i experienced it, i thought, cool! but never looked more into it.

I have been to the Mystery Spot and I assume the Wonder spot is the same thing. The Mystery Spot is a cabin deep in the woods on the side of a hill where the construction of the interior plays serious games with your sense of direction. Basically your eyes tell you one thing, your balance organ tells you something else, and the whole time this guy is going through this well rehearsed patter about mysteries and gravity and metaphysical mumbo jumbo and other such nonsense.

It is a Load of Hooey and if the guy giving the patter is any good (like when I was there) it is a whole lot of fun and worth the few dollars and the hour it takes. Plus you can get some great pictures out of it (like one where you are standing at an impossible angle) to freak out your friends and family.

Its basically a tourist trap and whether or not you will enjoy it depends on your sense of humor and how willing you are to go along with ridiculousness in the name of a grand joke. I thought it was great fun - but I am easily amused. ;)

The Winchester House is another tourist trap well worth the effort. This was the house owned by the wife of Winchester of "Winchester Rifle" fame. She felt guilty making all of this money off the blood of those killed and had these seances where she would ask the spirits what to do to allay her guilty conscious. They told her to do all of this stuff to her house like put a door in the second floor which simply goes out the side of the house to nowhere. All of these things she dutifully did. The result is mind-blowing.

rs said:
Basically your eyes tell you one thing, your balance organ tells you something else, ...
Sense of balance is located in the inner ear. When "flight simulators" first came into existance, the pilots who utilized them to earn flight time were emerging from the simulators nauseated and vomiting. In short, their eyes told them they were "moving" however their ears told them they were not. At that time, flight simulators did not move. This is the only reason why flight simulators "move" now; to avoid the nausea. And, those rides at Universal Studios such as "Back to the Future" operate much the same as a flight simulator. Just thought this might help with understanding of how one's senses can be deceived. :)

Annette1 said:
http://www.mysteryspot.com/index.html

You may want to visit this site. Last I looked they had an article that explained the whys and wherefores of the Mystery Spot. Basically, it's an optical illusion from my understanding. There are several around the country if you want to check one out.
Thank you. My visit to the website was enough. The documentation there, newspaper articles and photographs, gave support to the idea of optical illusion.

rs said:
I have been to the Mystery Spot and I assume the Wonder spot is the same thing. The Mystery Spot is a cabin deep in the woods on the side of a hill where the construction of the interior plays serious games with your sense of direction. Basically your eyes tell you one thing, your balance organ tells you something else, and the whole time this guy is going through this well rehearsed patter about mysteries and gravity and metaphysical mumbo jumbo and other such nonsense.

It is a Load of Hooey and if the guy giving the patter is any good (like when I was there) it is a whole lot of fun and worth the few dollars and the hour it takes. Plus you can get some great pictures out of it (like one where you are standing at an impossible angle) to freak out your friends and family.

Its basically a tourist trap and whether or not you will enjoy it depends on your sense of humor and how willing you are to go along with ridiculousness in the name of a grand joke. I thought it was great fun - but I am easily amused. 
I think your analysis is correct, and confirms and expands what I was able to see on the website suggested from Annette1. (and obviously, I also am easily amused!)

Thank you both.

For one brief, scary moment there, I thought maybe some dimensional wormhole or something was being destroyed by the PTB in preparation for the war with Iran; or that they were moving the public out of the area so they could do further nefarious deeds.

Or perhaps it had something to do with a dream I had last night: I was riding a bicycle through a landscape that looked very much like the Land of Oz from the 1939 “Wizard of Oz" movie -- right in the direction of a massive Force Five Tornado! But then, I turned around and headed off cycling in the opposite direction, and my friends and I were laughing all the time.

Or maybe it was just too much SuperBowl ice cream….

Anyway, thank goodness for folks with their feet planted firmly on the ground. (Or who don't eat too much SuperBowl ice cream!) :)

In my physics class we had one of those little tools that determined whether a surface was "flat" or tilted. If it was tilted, it had a little bubble inside that went to the side instead of being in the middle. Someone should bring that tool (probably costs like $3) to one of those mystery spots to determine what is actually tilted and at what angle you should stack some books to create a "flat surface" that is parallel to sea-level. Then you can easily set up a flat surface with the help of that little tool, put a ball on it, and have it not roll anywhere, and call it a day. Maybe set-up a pool table? :D

Although it might ruin everybody else's fun..

Some years ago, a road in Turkiye just like Irini explained was shown on TV. But later on they said it was optical illusion but it did not look like one. How can you go up the slope when you shut down the motor.

aurora said:
Some years ago, a road in Turkiye just like Irini explained was shown on TV. But later on they said it was optical illusion but it did not look like one. How can you go up the slope when you shut down the motor.
But was it really a slope gong up or one that only looks like it's going up? In order to know which way something is tilted, you'd have to know what a "flat" or "untilted" surface looks in comparison to it.
mysteryspot.jpg

spot4.jpg

Is this really a flat surface and the people being able to stand almost sideways on it? Or is the whole house tilted and the people are in fact standing up straight?

Irini said:
Actually there is a road on the mountains in Cyprus where you can stop your car completely and the car goes upward by itself, instead of downwards!
I remember reading years ago about a similar road in scotland. Acording to Wiki there's hundreds of these 'gravity hills' all over the world. Weird.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_hill

Peam said:
Irini said:
Actually there is a road on the mountains in Cyprus where you can stop your car completely and the car goes upward by itself, instead of downwards!
I remember reading years ago about a similar road in scotland. Acording to Wiki there's hundreds of these 'gravity hills' all over the world. Weird.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity_hill
I'll try the one at Bowen Mountain Australia tomorrow! It's only 20km away.

But did you read wiki's explanation? They say it's a "optical illusion that a very slight downhill slope appears to be an uphill slope" But is this really so? With a simple water level you should be able to check.

ArdVan said:
But did you read wiki's explanation? They say it's a "optical illusion that a very slight downhill slope appears to be an uphill slope" But is this really so? With a simple water level you should be able to check.
I've been to this place, it really DOES seem like you are going uphill. I was 7 years old and it was just a dirt road (not "developed" like it is now).

But from the text:

Magnetic Hill is a wild and wacky place that appears to defy gravity. For years now, people have been entertained by driving their car to the bottom of the hill, putting the car in neutral and watching as their car rolls backwards, with them in it, UP the hill! In the 1800s, farmers were puzzled when it seemed that their horses had to strain to pull wagons that were seemingly going downhill; then on the way home, the wagons seemed to get tangled up with the horses' feet while going uphill. How was any of this possible? People thought perhaps there was a powerful magnet buried at the top of the hill which pulled objects to it. Actually, it's a common illusion where the level horizon is hidden in some way. Trees, walls and things that normally act as a visual clue may be leaning slightly. We expect such things to be straight and so we are fooled. An optical illusion makes a downhill appear to be an uphill. But seeing is believing, so even when you know the cause, you still can't help but think that when you're rolling uphill, you're actually rolling downhill. Freaky!
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/cool/002027-2202-e.html

I would also like to add something similar in my state:

http://www.oregonvortex.com/

If you google for 'Oregon Vortex' there is quite a bit discussed. The area covered
is 165 feet in diameter.... interesting...

This is also a Mystery site, and wondered why it was not mentioned....

Anyway, here it is for what it is worth...

Back
Top Bottom