NASA - Coincidence or Arrogance?

StrawMan

The Force is Strong With This One
I couldn't find anything to suggest these things have been discussed before, but as I was watching a TV program the other night, I caught a commercial/advert regarding NASA and their current mission aboard "Atlantis".

Now after having read some of the C's material a few names and acronyms start to stick out...
Do they give their space shuttles/missions these names out of arrogance or is it pure coincidence...?

Okay so we have Atlantis.. the C's say it was the highest STS state humans have reached.

Apollo.. Wiki says, Medicine and healing were associated with Apollo, whether through the god himself or mediated through his son Asclepius. Apollo was also seen as a god who could bring ill-health and deadly plague as well as one who had the ability to cure.

What about Ares? We know him as the God of War, but apparently he is more accurately the god of bloodlust, or slaughter personified: "Ares is apparently an ancient abstract noun meaning throng of battle, war."

I think we all know Ulysses (Odysseus)... apparently he invented the Trojan Horse.

Why would NASA name their shuttles after these kinds of "Gods"?

Why are all NASA missions titled STS-XXX (XXX = 1 - 129 (current))

Endeavor to Discover Atlantis... destroy all Challengers.

On the mission names...

:lol:

At least they are not shy about their service to self orientation now are they.

Back
Top Bottom