Need some advice with translation issue

Oh Ailen- this is indeed crazy ...I'm missing a lot here...I have started reading Secret History but for some reason I posed...I'll just have to start looking into it.
I just hope we may one day come back to one language ...if that is not too problematic in itself...who knows?
We have English and its pretty common ..but it makes me think of One world government when I think of English as being the only language ....I may have said a silly thing here ...

Thks lots for pulling it up for me and emphasize it. :love:

[quote author=Data]
It is also a way for me to really understand and digest the material. I read Secret History two years ago, but can't even remember 5%. If the translator doesn't fully understand what he/she is writing, who else will?
[/quote]

This came to mind when you said the above: Its like saying I know how a carrot looks like ....and most surely I know....but if I were to draw it in detail, I will soon realize I had just a vague idea of how a carrot looks like [the carrot had no value for me as of yet because I was unaware directly of its benefits ] . It can be said the same about translating. The value of the text comes after investigation of the tiny tiny details ...and translating does that very well.

I'm happy with this thought :)
Nice intervention Data ;)

I am just getting my feet wet ....by the time I get used to the water , I'll be in a much better position to understand the value of your pertinent responses. :)
Thanks gang :love:

andi said:
I just hope we may one day come back to one language ...if that is not too problematic in itself...who knows?

Maybe one day it will not be necessary to use a language !!! Who knows ???

Bohort said:
andi said:

Maybe one day it will not be necessary to use a language !!! Who knows ???

Or a language not in the sense we usually understand it. This reminds me of this passage of the Wave regarding language:
http://www.cassiopaea.org/cass/wave12c.htm

The theme of "Names," or "words" as something that gave one power is brought forward again in the Bible when we are told that, after the Flood of Noah, "the whole earth was of one language, and of one speech." [Genesis 11:1] At this point, mankind decided to build a tower. The passage reads:

Come, let us build us a city, and a tower whose top reaches into the sky; and let us make a NAME for ourselves, lest we be scattered over the whole earth. [Genesis 11:4]

Now, it is very curious that the very idea we are discussing is specifically identified here. "Let us make a NAME for ourselves."

What happens next is most interesting.

The Lord came down to see the city and the tower, which the sons of men had built. And the Lord said, Behold, they are one people, and they have 'all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and now nothing they have imagined they can do will be impossible to them. Come, let Us go down and there confound (mix-up, confuse) their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. [Genesis 11:5 7]

Now, just what the heck happened here? We can easily figure out that it had nothing to do with "language" in the sense of variations in spoken speech because in Genesis 10:5, 10:20 and 10:31 we find references to the diffusion of the descendants of Noah after the flood "...in their lands, each with his own language...; their families, their languages, their lands, and their nations..." and so forth.

So, again, we find ourselves in the presence of a very subtle idea that needs our attention. Why is it that the tradition focuses on a story in which the "confusing of speech" was understood as a tragedy; as a divine malediction? If the languages of man were already numerous after Noah, why does this story of the "confusion of tongues" exist as an allegory of a curse upon mankind?

"Ba-Bel, "God's Gate," was the Babylonian heaven-mountain of ziggurat where the god descended from the sky to the Holy of Holies, the genital locus of his mating with Mother Earth. ...Babylon's famous Hanging Gardens occupied the seven stages of the ziggurat, to create a Paradise like that of Hindu gods: "Seven divisions of the world... in seven circles placed one above another..." The ziggurat was a "temple of the seven spheres of the world. ...The Babel myth is found all over the world, including India and Mexico. It was familiar in the Greek story of the giants who piled up mountains to reach heaven. Hindus said it was not a tower but a great tree that grew up to heaven... [Walker, The Women's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets, 1996, emphasis, mine.]

We already have disclosed a little clue from the Cassiopaeans on this matter, but let's look at it one more time and see if we can't discover something more that will help us to understand:

Q: (L) What was the event a hundred or so years after the flood of Noah that was described as the confusing of languages, or the tower of Babel?
A: Spiritual confluence.
Q: (L) What purpose did the individuals who came together to build the tower intend for said tower?
A: Electromagnetic concentration of all gravity waves.
Q: (L) And what did they intend to do with these concentrated waves?
A: Mind alteration of masses.
Q: (L) What intention did they have in altering the mind of the masses?
A: Spiritual unification of the masses.
Q: (L) Who were the "gods" that looked down on the tower of Babel, at those who were building it with the intention of unification, and decided to destroy their works?
A: Lizards.

Having already talked about mankind being a "Fragmented Soul Unit," we now have the idea that "making a NAME" as it was described in the Biblical text, had something to do with "spiritual unification of the masses" - possibly "reassembling" members of that Soul Unit.

We also have a clue that this action was NOT acceptable to the Drachomonoid Control System because the Bible clearly says:

And the Lord said, Behold, they are one people, and they have 'all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; and now nothing they have imagined they can do will be impossible to them.

Aside from the fact that this passage pretty much confirms the Cassiopaean's interpretation of the event, it suggests other possibilities that we need to consider, namely the idea that, with spiritual unification, "nothing they have imagined they can do will be impossible to them."

Thanks for putting the quote up there, Lutien.

I think that we should all keep the following clearly in mind.

Aside from the fact that this passage pretty much confirms the Cassiopaean's interpretation of the event, it suggests other possibilities that we need to consider, namely the idea that, with spiritual unification, "nothing they have imagined they can do will be impossible to them."

Something to keep us striving to achieve our aim, without anticipation, of course. ;)

Tnks for that Luthien, ...I clearly didn't remember this part .

Oh boy, I now fear that I'll never get bored.
Jeez, what a fear!

andi said:
We have English and its pretty common ..but it makes me think of One world government when I think of English as being the only language ....I may have said a silly thing here ...

No, it's not silly at all, but as usual, there is more than one way of looking at things: the way I see if is that throughout different periods of history, there has always been an attempt at least to have a lingua franca, a common language usually used either to do business or spread religion amongst different peoples. People have always felt the need to break this linguistic division. There was Latin, Greek, etc. Nowadays, there is English. And it is spoken all around the world and for many different purposes; not just business. You can think of it as a result of the Evil Empire, but you can also see it as a possibility for people to have access to more knowledge than was ever accessible in a VERY long time. We CAN use the One World Government for good purposes too ;).

The purpose of our translations is not to create an even greater confusion of tongues or even perpetuate it, but to give people who are not as lucky as us to have learned English the possibility to gain access to very valuable information, and hopefully become so interested that they'll take the time to learn English so they can read more! We can dream, can't we? ;) And we've seen it happen many times already, so we can be pretty confident that it will continue to do so. Besides, it is not the language we speak but the Truth we speak, which matters (read below).

I can't imagine how we could translate ALL the material fast enough, but if we do our duty, many people may do theirs. One aspect we haven't considered is the effect that it can have on people when they see the same material available in so many different languages. They can realize that this is a Global group of truth seekers! That they are not alone in their quest! This idea of there not being any real barriers in spite of the linguistic differences is very encouraging, IMHO.

On the other hand, English has a fairly simple grammar compared to other languages, which makes it easy to communicate even if us foreigners always make mistakes. And it is one of the languages with the richest vocabulary, so that it allows us to describe reality in a very detailed way. It has borrowed a lot from many different languages and cultures, which in a sense, makes is naturally the best communication language. At least in our time.

There is a theory that says that a language is representative of the way its speakers see reality. (The typical example given is that Eskimos have 20 different words to describe snow, as it is close to their every day reality. Some African languages divide colors into "cold" or "warm" categories, Chinese divides most objects into categories according on their aspect, the material they are made of, etc.). Neologisms are constantly created as the need to express a certain aspect/new object of reality arises.

But there is a problem there. I remember back in College I used to get frustrated with those theories, thinking: "Well, if each language represents a different way of seeing reality, then where is the "Real Reality"? :/

I believe that the more people see, the better they can use language and communicate. And this is what we may be creating right now thanks to Laura's and QFS's work! Think of the word "ponerology". A few years ago, nobody knew about it! If you type it on google today, you'll be surprised by the amount of times it shows up! And think of this forum, and how it helps us reach a much more common and deep understanding. :D

But there is even more to that, IMO. It is NOT the language we speak what makes the difference, but the knowledge we have together with our level of Being; individually and collectively. We can strive to speak the same "language", meaning seeing and experiencing reality in the most objective way as possible, and express it accordingly. Below, some of Gurdjieff's quotes on the topic which may be relevant here:

From In Search of the Miraculous (emphasis mine):

"That is another question. In order to do it is necessary to be. And it is necessary first to understand what to be means. If we continue our talks you will see that we use a special language and that, in order to talk with us, it is necessary to learn this language. It is not worth while talking in ordinary language because, in that language, it is impossible to understand one another. This also, at the moment, seems strange to you. But it is true. In order to understand it is necessary to learn another language. In the language which people speak they cannot understand one another. You will see later on why this is so.

"Then one must learn to speak the truth. This also appears strange to you. You do not realize that one has to learn to speak the truth. It seems to you that it is enough to wish or to decide to do so. And I tell you that people comparatively rarely tell a deliberate lie. In most cases they think they speak the truth. And yet they lie all the time, both when they wish to lie and when they wish to speak the truth. They lie all the time, both to themselves and to others.Therefore nobody ever understands either himself or anyone else. Think—could there be such discord, such deep misunderstanding, and such hatred towards the views and opinions of others, if people were able to understand one another? But they cannot understand because they cannot help lying. To speak the truth is the most difficult thing in the world; and one must study a great deal and for a long time in order to be able to speak the truth. The wish alone is not enough. To speak the truth one must know what the truth is and what a lie is, and first of all in oneself. And this nobody wants to know."

"One of the reasons for the divergence between the line of knowledge and the line of being in life, and the lack of understanding which is partly the cause and partly the effect of this divergence, is to be found in the language which people speak. This language is full of wrong concepts, wrong classifications, wrong associations. And the chief thing is that, owing to the essential characteristics of ordinary thinking, that is to say, to its vagueness and inaccuracy, every word can have thousands of different meanings according to the material the speaker has at his disposal and the complex of associations at work in him at the moment. People do not clearly realize to what a degree their language is subjective, that is, what different things each of them says while using the same words. They are not aware that each one of them speaks in a language
of his own, understanding other people's language either vaguely or not at all, and having no idea that each one of them speaks in a language unknown to him. People have a very firm conviction, or belief, that they speak the same language, that they understand one another.

So, in fact, there are as many languages as human beings, until we start to do something about it! Talk about a aconfusion of tongues!

Actually this conviction has no foundation whatever. The language in which they speak is adapted to practical life only. People can communicate to one another information of a practical character, but as soon as they pass to a slightly more complex sphere they are immediately lost, and they cease to understand one another, although they are unconscious of it. People imagine that they often, if not always, understand one another, or that they can, at any rate, understand one another if they try or want to; they imagine that they understand the authors of the books they read and that other people understand them. This also is one of the illusions which people create for themselves and in the midst of which they live. As a matter of fact, no one understands anyone else. Two men can say the same thing with profound conviction but call it by different names, or argue endlessly together without suspecting that they are thinking exactly the same. Or, vice versa, two men can say the same words and imagine that they agree with, and understand, one another, whereas they are actually saying absolutely different things and do not understand one another in the least.

"If we take the simplest words that occur constantly in speech and endeavor to analyze the meaning given to them, we shall see at once that, at every moment of his life, every man puts into each word a special meaning which another man can never put into it or suspect.

"Let us take the word 'man' and imagine a conversation among a group of people in which the word 'man' is often heard. Without any exaggeration it can be said that the word 'man' will have as many meanings as there are people taking part in the conversation, and that these meanings will have nothing in common.

"In pronouncing the word 'man' everyone will involuntarily connect with this word the point of view from which he is generally accustomed to regard man, or from which, for some reason or other, he regards him at the moment. One man at the moment may be occupied with the question of the relation between the sexes. Then the word 'man' will have no general meaning for him and on hearing this word he will first of all ask himself—Which? man or woman? Another man may be religious and his first question will be—A Christian or not a Christian? The third man may be a doctor and the concept 'man' will mean for him a 'sick man' or a 'healthy man,' and, of course from the point of view of his speciality. A spiritualist will think of 'man' from the point of view of his 'astral body,' of 'life on the other side,' and so on, and he may say, if he is asked, that men are divided into mediums and non-mediums. A naturalist speaking of man will place the center of gravity of his thoughts in the idea of man as a zoological type, that is to say, in speaking of man he will think of the structure of his teeth, his fingers, his facial angle, the distance between the eyes. A lawyer will see in 'man' a statistical unit, or a subject for the application of laws, or a potential criminal, or a possible client.

[...]

"Once again let us take the idea man. In the language of which I speak, instead of the word 'man,' seven words are used, namely: man number one, man number two, man number three, man number four, man number five, man number six, and man number seven. With these seven ideas people are already able to understand one another when speaking of man. [...]

"Science, philosophy, and all manifestations of man's life and activity can be divided in exactly the same way into seven categories. But the ordinary language in which people speak is very far from any such divisions, and this is why it is so difficult for people to understand one another.

[...]
I remember yet another talk that took place during the same period. Someone asked him about the possibility of a universal language—in what connection I do not remember.

"A universal language is possible,"
said G., "only people will never invent it."

"Why not?" asked one of us.

"First because it was invented a long time ago," answered G., "and second because to understand this language and to express ideas in it depends not only upon the knowledge of this language, but also on being. I will say even more. There exists not one, but three universal languages. The first of them can be spoken and written while remaining within the limits of one's own language. The only difference is that when people speak in their ordinary language they do not understand one another, but in this other language they do understand. In the second language, written language is the same for all peoples, like, say, figures or mathematical formulae; but people still speak their own language, yet each of them understands the other even though the other speaks in an unknown language. The third language is the same for all, both the written and the spoken. The difference of language disappears altogether on this level."

[...]

[...]"None the less the idea of the unity of everything exists also in intellectual thought but in its exact relation to diversity it can never be clearly expressed in words or in logical forms. There remains always the insurmountable difficulty of language. A language which has been constructed through expressing impressions of plurality and diversity in subjective states of consciousness can never transmit with sufficient completeness and clarity the idea of unity which is intelligible and obvious for the objective state of consciousness.

"Realizing the imperfection and weakness of ordinary language the people who have possessed objective knowledge have tried to express the idea of unity in 'myths,' in 'symbols,' and in particular 'verbal formulas' which, having been transmitted without alteration, have carried on the idea from one school to another, often from one epoch to another.

"It has already been said that the higher psychic centers work in man's higher states of consciousness: the 'higher emotional' and the 'higher mental.' The aim of 'myths' and 'symbols' was to reach man's higher centers, to transmit to him ideas inaccessible to the intellect and to transmit them in such forms as would exclude the possibility of false interpretations. 'Myths' were destined for the higher emotional center; 'symbols' for the higher thinking center. By virtue of this all attempts to

"Men have tried for a long time to invent a universal language," he said. "And in this instance, as in many others, they seek something which has long since been found and try to think of and invent something which has been known and in existence a long time. I said before that there exist not one but three universal languages, to speak more exactly, three degrees. The first degree of this language already makes it possible for people to express their own thoughts and to understand the thoughts of others in relation to things concerning which ordinary language is powerless."

And finally, Gurdjieff's description of the three circles also makes reference to language. Laura mentions it in the Wave too:

"The inner circle is called the 'esoteric'; this circle consists of people who have attained the highest development possible for man, each one of whom possesses individuality in the fullest degree, that is to say, an indivisible 'I,' all forms of consciousness possible for man, full control over these states of consciousness, the whole of knowledge possible for man, and a free and independent will. They cannot perform actions opposed to their understanding or have an understanding which is not expressed by actions. At the same time there can be no discords among them, no differences of understanding. Therefore their activity is entirely co-ordinated and leads to one common aim without any kind of compulsion because it is based upon a common and identical understanding.

"The next circle is called the 'mesoteric,' that is to say, the middle. People who belong to this circle possess all the qualities possessed by the members of the esoteric circle with the sole difference that their knowledge is of a more theoretical character.' This refers, of course, to knowledge of a cosmic character. They know and understand many things which have not yet found expression in their actions. They know more than they do. But their understanding is precisely as exact as, and therefore precisely identical with, the understanding of the people of the esoteric circle. Between them there can be, no discord, there can be no misunderstanding. One understands in the way they all understand, and all understand in the way one understands. But as was said before, this understanding compared with the understanding of the esoteric circle is somewhat more theoretical.

"The third circle is called the 'exoteric,' that is, the outer, because it is the outer circle of the inner part of humanity. The people who belong to this circle possess much of that which belongs to people of the esoteric and mesoteric circles but their cosmic knowledge is of a more philosophical character, that is to say, it is more abstract than the knowledge of the mesoteric circle. A member of the mesoteric circle calculates, a member of the exoteric circle contemplates. Their understanding may not be expressed in actions. But there cannot be differences in understanding between them. What one understands all the others understand.

"In literature which acknowledges the existence of esotericism humanity is usually divided into two circles only and the 'exoteric circle' as opposed to the 'esoteric,' is called ordinary life. In reality, as we see, the 'exoteric circle' is something very far from us and very high. For ordinary man this is already 'esotericism.'

" 'The outer circle' is the circle of mechanical humanity to which we belong and which alone we know. The first sign of this circle is that among people who belong to it there is not and there cannot be a common understanding. Everybody understands in his own way and all differently. This circle is sometimes called the circle of the 'confusion of tongues,' that is, the circle in which each one speaks in his own particular language, where no one understands another and takes no trouble to be understood. In this circle mutual understanding between people is impossible excepting in rare exceptional moments or in matters having no great significance, and which are confined to the limits of the given being. If people belonging to this circle become conscious of this general lack of understanding and acquire a desire to understand and to be understood, then it means they have an unconscious tendency towards the inner circle because mutual understanding begins only in the exoteric circle and is possible only there. But the consciousness of the lack of understanding usually comes to people in an altogether different form.

"So that the possibility for people to understand depends on the possibility of penetrating into the exoteric circle where understanding begins.

"If we imagine humanity in the form of four concentric circles we can imagine four gates on the circumference of the third inner circle, that is, the exoteric circle, through which people of the mechanical circle can penetrate.

So, in a sense, Babel/the confusion of tongues is a curse to us all, because it makes people perceive reality differently, all the while having the illusion that their reality is the only one or that they understand each other. But realizing its implications, we have in front of us a very important lesson to learn about humanity and subjectivity, I think. When you read Gurdjieff's quote with this in mind, it takes a whole new meaning to search for a Universal language, doesn't it?

FWIW.

[quote author=Ailén]
We CAN use the One World Government for good purposes too
[/quote]

That i very true.

I can't imagine how we could translate ALL the material fast enough, but if we do our duty, many people may do theirs. One aspect we haven't considered is the effect that it can have on people when they see the same material available in so many different languages. They can realize that this is a Global group of truth seekers! That they are not alone in their quest! This idea of there not being any real barriers in spite of the linguistic differences is very encouraging, IMHO.

....that there is not just a small bunch talking some crazy stuff ...like the C's have said in december - '' A: The more who see, the more that can see! And didn't we once say that it is not where you are but rather WHO you are and what you SEE!! '' ...
There is a theory that says that a language is representative of the way its speakers see reality.

It a very big window inside a group and inside an individual ...we cannot drop conclusions relating solely on this , but it is one of the first things that jumps in your face when interacting with someone...
I try very hard to watch my language...and if I were to take out all the nonsense and try to speak as objectively as possible , while interacting with normal people, I would probably be left in silence.
And here, translating comes as very handy IMO. You are able to occupy a neutral place and kind of observe from a different angle what is going on both in the thinker's mind and the writer's mind.

I believe, as you have suggested , that language has a lot to say about one's knowledge and being [when understood in a Gurdieff-ian way]
But there is a problem there. I remember back in College I used to get frustrated with those theories, thinking: "Well, if each language represents a different way of seeing reality, then where is the "Real Reality"?
:D

I believe that the more people see, the better they can use language and communicate. And this is what we may be creating right now thanks to Laura's and QFS's work! Think of the word "ponerology". A few years ago, nobody knew about it! If you type it on google today, you'll be surprised by the amount of times it shows up! And think of this forum, and how it helps us reach a much more common and deep understanding.

Just that and it should be good to motivate even a dog to do my job ...hahaha :)
I say this, because I have completely switched since I have created this tread ...

So, in fact, there are as many languages as human beings, until we start to do something about it! Talk about a aconfusion of tongues!
And finally, Gurdjieff's description of the three circles also makes reference to language. Laura mentions it in the Wave too:
So, in a sense, Babel/the confusion of tongues is a curse to us all, because it makes people perceive reality differently, all the while having the illusion that their reality is the only one or that they understand each other. But realizing its implications, we have in front of us a very important lesson to learn about humanity and subjectivity, I think. When you read Gurdjieff's quote with this in mind, it takes a whole new meaning to search for a Universal language, doesn't it?

..thanks for reminding my about Gurdjieff's take on language...It applies and reminds me not to take these programmed thought patterns so easily into account without rethinking it ...and thanks to you guys and your grate posts ..that I momentarily regained some clearness .

I was just wondering yesterday night , while having a 4a.m. cigarette - If, in a recent past life , I have been German or Spanish or anything else, - why don't I remember the language..or what have I gained form it -that I can clearly use today ? I was contemplating at the silliness of this question since there is so much more involved here .....but it lead me think , that what we today find in our selfs to be < a natural tendency , or naturally loving/giving and etc > may be a direct result of those past things ----this strengthens the idea that the seeds we plant now may fly and make fruits in places we haven't even thought.
[this question was in my mind in relation to translation and languages only... ]

tks Alien for clarification ....you have put up there a lengthy post and yo are probably full of work already --and that shows me will and pushes me to do more ...
...the same for others who have done the same ....I shall work and fallow your example.. :love:

Back
Top Bottom