Networking Meetup Group

ripvanwinkle

Padawan Learner
Hello all,
I was toying wit the idea of organizing a meetup group that would get together on a regular basis where we would discuss the Cassiopaen material and any topic of interest that involves those that are discussed on this forum and anything that the C's have talked about in the past. I would like to get at least 4 interested people but preferably more that have the time to network together in person. There are usually rooms that can be reserved at the local public libraries for free or for a small cost or even meet at each others house on a rotating basis. I have a brother that lives near me that I visit and discuss information with on occasion that I'm sure would be interested in getting involved as well. I live in the greater Kansas City area in the USA. I just wanted to send out a "feeler" to see what kind of response I might get and go from there. For anyone within the KC area that might have some interest in getting involved I would be happy to hear from you.

why do you want to start a group to network in privat with when you have a network here?

it is not helpful to meet in privat with other forum members and even more it isn't advisable to meet with someone we don't know !!

you can see where something like this can lead to in this thread :
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,24584.0.html

to say it clear ; please don't do so !

ripvanwinkle said:
Hello all,
I was toying wit the idea of organizing a meetup group that would get together on a regular basis where we would discuss the Cassiopaen material and any topic of interest that involves those that are discussed on this forum and anything that the C's have talked about in the past. I would like to get at least 4 interested people but preferably more that have the time to network together in person. There are usually rooms that can be reserved at the local public libraries for free or for a small cost or even meet at each others house on a rotating basis. I have a brother that lives near me that I visit and discuss information with on occasion that I'm sure would be interested in getting involved as well. I live in the greater Kansas City area in the USA. I just wanted to send out a "feeler" to see what kind of response I might get and go from there. For anyone within the KC area that might have some interest in getting involved I would be happy to hear from you.

ripvanwinkle,

Sorry, but this isn't a good idea.

We prefer those who are interested in the Cassiopaean material to come to the forum and network instead of meeting in small groups where there is no oversight by the elders or any of the more experienced forum members. There are a lot of reasons for this, a couple of which are that these meetings usually turn into a place for others to feed and spread incorrect ideas about what is discussed here. Even those with the best of intentions can do this. Next thing you know, somebody gets rubbed the wrong way and then this threatens the whole group. And we definitely don't need anymore attacks at the moment!

Hi Ripvanwinkle,

I'm glad that you want to discuss this material and would simply offer the fact that this forum is designed to and available to discuss this material. When you discuss it here, you actually get factual input, rather than subjective opinions. That's the whole point. :)

Pashalis said:
why do you want to start a group to network in privat with when you have a network here?

it is not helpful to meet in privat with other forum members and even more it isn't advisable to meet with someone we don't know !!

you can see where something like this can lead to in this thread :
http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,24584.0.html

to say it clear ; please don't do so !

First of all, yes, I did read this thread awhile back well, at least the first 4 or so pages before it degraded into something else.
Second, I never had the intention of using a spirit board anyway. I'm not that adventurous.
And finally, as far as meeting with someone we don't know, don't we have to do that all the time in our everyday lives? We can't lock ourselves in the house and chain ourselves to the computer all day either. After all, aren't we communicating right now and I don't know you and you don't now me?

anart said:
Hi Ripvanwinkle,

I'm glad that you want to discuss this material and would simply offer the fact that this forum is designed to and available to discuss this material. When you discuss it here, you actually get factual input, rather than subjective opinions. That's the whole point. :)

Very good point anart. My position is that I work at a computer all day. When I'm not busy at work I read the forums and the SOTT news and the discussions takes me to all kinds of tangents on the website that I didn't expect. I also read them at home. Yes, I am interested in other peoples takes on what is discussed. I'm sure that everyone that reads the forums have to be too or they wouldn't be reading the forums. I use this website as the watermark for anything I hear, read or talk about with others. Therefore I use it as a reference for what I lean towards in establishing what I believe to be true. It would just be nice to interact in a social atmosphere with someone of like mind other than sitting as this dumb terminal which frankly can drive me mad sometimes. I've gotten to the point where whenever I've talked to someone or read about a specific subject the first thing I do is log into the website and see what the C's have to say about it. This is what I would like to carry over into a discussion group.

ripvanwinkle said:
anart said:
Hi Ripvanwinkle,

Very good point anart. My position is that I work at a computer all day. When I'm not busy at work I read the forums and the SOTT news and the discussions takes me to all kinds of tangents on the website that I didn't expect. I also read them at home. Yes, I am interested in other peoples takes on what is discussed. I'm sure that everyone that reads the forums have to be too or they wouldn't be reading the forums. I use this website as the watermark for anything I hear, read or talk about with others. Therefore I use it as a reference for what I lean towards in establishing what I believe to be true. It would just be nice to interact in a social atmosphere with someone of like mind other than sitting as this dumb terminal which frankly can drive me mad sometimes. I've gotten to the point where whenever I've talked to someone or read about a specific subject the first thing I do is log into the website and see what the C's have to say about it. This is what I would like to carry over into a discussion group.

I understand that feeling and it's quite common. The fact of the matter is that we've been through this time and time and time again. Every single time someone has 'started a discussion group', it ends up as both 'the blind leading the blind', with people's subjectivity logarithmically increasing - and - as an energetic feeding fest with someone (or more than one) involved draining everyone else involved. Trust me, we have literally seen it over and over and over again. Unfortunately, this is the reality of the situation.

You will, without question, get more out of discussions here than you will with four people who decide they want to 'talk about the C's'. You also need to really understand that just because a person is a member of this forum does not mean they are a good/nice/knowledgeable person. People present themselves any way they want on the internet and this IS a public forum. Be vigilant, and the time will come when there will be EE classes in your area or another event you can attend in order to have more face to face interaction.

anart said:
ripvanwinkle said:
anart said:
Hi Ripvanwinkle,

I understand that feeling and it's quite common. The fact of the matter is that we've been through this time and time and time again. Every single time someone has 'started a discussion group', it ends up as both 'the blind leading the blind', with people's subjectivity logarithmically increasing - and - as an energetic feeding fest with someone (or more than one) involved draining everyone else involved. Trust me, we have literally seen it over and over and over again. Unfortunately, this is the reality of the situation.

You will, without question, get more out of discussions here than you will with four people who decide they want to 'talk about the C's'. You also need to really understand that just because a person is a member of this forum does not mean they are a good/nice/knowledgeable person. People present themselves any way they want on the internet and this IS a public forum. Be vigilant, and the time will come when there will be EE classes in your area or another event you can attend in order to have more face to face interaction.

Ok, now the EE classes would be cool. I'll keep a watch out for those.Thanks anart.

I understand both sides of the coin on this. Personal interaction is actually my preferred method of contact. I'm stuck in the past per say. I have been fortunate enough to meet and speak to someone who would be considered an elder and has written 2 of the books on the list that lives in my area. I am getting used to using the forum though and understand the "why" of it. I am more of a reader than a poster though, basically due to fear of rejection. Working on that one as well as the diet and health issues. I'm not dead yet......yes he is......I'm getting better.....clunk....there ya go.

Mr Meowgi said:
t. I am more of a reader than a poster though, basically due to fear of rejection. Working on that one as well as the diet and health issues. I'm not dead yet......yes he is......I'm getting better.....clunk....there ya go.
going off topic but wanted to share with mr. Meowgi something about the above. While writing in a forum, an online one, there will be always rejection. It is not possible that in a community of hundreds of people everybody pats on your shoulder every time you post something. But this is ok, imo, just do not take anything personally, you write about your ideas and beliefs, the way you understand the world, because we are all learning. Some members will agree, some will not, some will react out loud, some will read silently and shake their heads.
At the end, nobody is really attacking or rejecting you personally, for nobody knows anybody here, and nobody can judge you, so just take profit of the forum as long as it is available to gather as much knowledge as you can helpful to you on your personal path.

Sorry for sounding phylosofic :-) i was also shy to post long ago till i realised about all that!

Mr Meowgi, I thought you may find this thread interesting:

Boardlurker? Read this!!

Session 15 Aug 09 said:
A: Those individuals who still think that you can get something for nothing will find themselves blocked.

Session 020731 said:
A: He who sits on fence gets splinters.
Q: (M) That is so true.
A: And they can be particularly nasty when one jumps off in haste upon realizing that fence sitters are prime targets for snipers.

Galahad said:
I can't stress enough the importance of participating. All of you lurkers on the forum, all of you who read and then don't post, finding all sorts of excellent excuses, do you understand that you are hurting yourselves? Maybe you are here only to get the latest news from the Cs, or the latest bits from Laura. Part of you may think that you are special because of that, or that you'll be able to save yourselves because you have information that others don't have.

And maybe there is some information here that can help you in 3D, help you to better face a future that isn't looking too bright.

Maybe you think that because you are trying to apply the information there, alone in your corner of the universe, that you are doing the Work.

But at some point, you need to make a choice and get off the fence.

If we are going to pull our buns out of the fire, it takes a group. And if you aren't participating, then you aren't part of that group. And if you aren't participating, then maybe those who are won't be enough. The group might not be strong enough. Will you really want to look at yourself some day and ask "What if?"

It takes me a while to warm up to things, but it is a work in progress. I made it a point to change this year and well it's moving in the right direction so far. Thanks for the input

I often feel this desire for a meet-up group, and on closer examination it is not about discussion, but rather the actual physicality of the presence of others. The seeing and exchanging our 3d countenance.We are in this reality and for me I like the idea of this getting together if only to listen to someone speaking,like the conference that would of been great to attend.Most of all a meet-up group say "i"exist.To me it is STS and good intentionally STO,I think,and quite natural and may for the most part turn out false. False insofar as what interactions these potential meetings will produce.After all we don't have Gurdjieff sitting at the table holding court,and speaking of him,I'd bet he would hoot at the idea of these get to-gethers of "us" for reasons of discussion.There are forums where we could ,if we were sincere about investing time,meet potential friends or significant others with similar interests.That takes time,commitment,patience,tolerance and energy.Icon where 2 or more,or is it 3?,meet is considered a meeting,but I've yet to see it not turn into an egofest.Theres a lot of structure on this forum,and if there was'nt I wouldn't be on it. And I have been the perpetrator of ego-driven nonsense in the past on this forum also.You never know where someone is really at.It takes time and loads of self-study to even begin to have an adequate truth in observing someone else. I embrace my frustration or loneliness when I crave the GROUP discussion, and consider the in balances of my machine,and by golly it always works when i get lazy and dont want to consider my motives. But its work and I get overloaded and short-circuit when I dont clean and scrub this being with the tools that we are given. There are no free lunches.And on that note I will say that I thank you for this thread,it is one that I feel is important to address.And the sanity that this forum produces IMO is my grace.

Back
Top Bottom