New Game: Win a Signed copy of Secret History (Other prizes too!)

A

atreides

The Idea:

This started out as an idea where we would get the boardlurkers to participate more in the "Sign's Experience" by offering a Big Prize for the winner of a certain contest. I went ahead with a practice run with the "Name that quote game" which was successful enough to spur me on.

The beginning idea was to hide a secret phrase or word in signs editorials which you would have to read, find, and then link here like this Baghdad bomb kills 22 - But Who Is to Blame? in order to gain points towards 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in the contest.

The Rules:

Throughout the week I will be placing a secret word or phrase into Articles, Chain pages, Laura's Blog, and more sites, which will be listed below.

Your job, throughout the week is to collect the urls and titles and post them to this topic. One url per post.

There will also be supersecret words and phrases which you will have to find by looking at the source code of the page.

In order to get the words or phrases to look for, you will be given a riddle, or a hint, or a pop culture reference that will lead you to the secret.

Prizes:
1st: Signed copy of the new Secret History of the World.
2nd: Signed High Strangeness.
3rd: Signed your choice of one of the 4 Wave volumes.

Rules (More like, guidelines):

1: You must link the title to the url.
2: You can only post one link per post.
3: You may not repost other's links.
4: Each regular link is worth one point. Each SuperSecret link is worth 2 points.
5: At the end of the day I will tally your daily points, if I miss some, be polite, I am only human.

Recommendations:
The game will run until it's over and no longer, be sure to read the signs page everyday. There are no rules to how the word or phrase will appear, I may use l33t sometimes or ntspk or just regular english when I hide the words and the supersecret words, so be ready for anything.

CURRENT LIST OF USED HIDING PLACES:
Signs Page
Signs' Chain Pages
Signs' Editorial Pages
The Forum

THE FIRST CLUE:

How is a Raven like a writing desk?

You have 24 hours, more or less, to find all of the secret words and phrases, THEY WILL NOT BE ALL ADDED AT THE SAME TIME! So check the pages often.

OMFGBBQTURNIPWTFLOL!

According to some in the office, my first riddle is too hard, if you guys want I will come up with something a little easier...Didn't people see Alice in Wonderland...?!?

Please forgive my ignorance.
I'm learning this new internet lingo as I go!
What is a "board lurker"?

Well, I recognized the quote as being from Alice in Wonderland (at least the Disney animated version...been forever since I read Carroll's works), so the reference wasn't too obscure. I was a bit daunted at hunting through the possible locations for the proverbial needle in the haystack, so to speak. When I reread the post today, jsut to see if anyone had figured it out, I thought "what the hell, I've got time to waste, today", so I started looking at yesterday's SOTT page for starters.

Almost immediately, I spotted the March Madness link under "Real War on Phony Terror"...Hmmm...The quote was originally spoken by the Mad Hatter in the presence of the March Hare (also mad), Alice and the Dormouse.

March Madness...
March Hare...
Mad Hatter...

Figured it was worth a shot, so if I'm totally off base, I guess I'll go back to thr drawing board!

(The chain link is "http://signs-of-the-times.org/signs/chains/signs20060222_RealWaronPhonyTerror.php#8c8d69b6e9850563841b0901258", but I'm not sure how to do the HTML properly, so forgiveness please...The actual article link was "http://informationclearinghouse.info/article12003.htm")

However, a bored lurker is someone who doesn't even read the posts, they just have no where else to go - usually they just fall asleep on the keyboard.

Thanks for the "bored" lurker definition.
There are all types in this world.
There are types I have not dreamed of.
Such is the mosaic of life.
I read, read and contemplate, when I can.
I cannot emphasize how much I learn from all of you.
I thank ALL of you.
You are extremely well read.
Comprehension and perceptions vary amongst people.
Some posts go straight to my soul with comfirmation.
Others are interesting and entertaining views nontheless.
I only post when I feel I must.
Again, thanks...

The answer to the riddle is the secret phrase. Hint: Feathers.

http://signs-of-the-times.org/signs/signs_creatures_supplement.htm

"Chupacabras are among the creatures called Anomalous Biological Entities, or ABEs. Although there are many variations, the consensus describes the chupacabra as a small, tailless dinosaur with quills down the back. It has the head of an alien, sharp claws, and carries a stench of sulfur. It has vampire tendencies as well."

Which also ties into the raven thread, alchemists were said to smell sulphur or decomposition when visited by the crow!

I realise this isn't the answer as YOU didn't write it but it fits. :-)

Note: the angorra quote was the first one I knew without looking up, kinda says something about me, I remember a quote about a z-grade director who also happened to be a cross-dresser.

Johnno

Hehe, not exactly, but I will accept it on the basis that no-one has answered the riddle yet, it is two words, one is Quills.

+1 for johnno, but remember to link the Title of the page -_-

Before the hint that "quills" was in the phrase I was looking for it but could only find it alone, not as part of a phrase that made sense in the given context.

So with that as a hint, I thought it must be "Inky Quills"
Cannot find that either...

Also searched for:

"Poe wrote on both"
"Because there is a B in both and an N in neither"
"The higher, the fewer"
"It is nevar [sic] put with the wrong end in front"

Back
Top Bottom