New lower carb chocolate recipe

We tried this last night and it came out pretty well. We changed the recipe slightly, and used 1/2 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup tallow. Then we put about a 1/2 dropper of stevia and 2 tbs of xylitol (we grinded it into a fine powder). We left out the salt as we were using salted butter. As for the lecithin, we didn't have liquid lecithin so not sure if we did that part right as it was a little confusing:

Mr. Premise said:
When well mixed, add two tablespoons of liquified lecithin at a ratio of three tablespoons lecithin (non-GMO, of course) to one cup water.

So are we talking lecithin that is already in a bottle in liquid form? If you have only granules how would that work? We took a guess and put 3tbs of lecithin in a measuring cup and filled it to the 1 cup mark and added that in. Nonetheless, it did not come out as hard as I expected but it did hold its form and had a very rich creamy texture and very dark taste.

Next time we're gonna try adding more tallow and a bit more xylitol or stevia.

I was referring to the lecithin mixture you use to make liposomal vitamin C. For that the ratio is three tablespoons lecithin granules to one cup water. It will have to be blended to fully dissolve. Then you add two tablespoons of that liquid to the chocolate.

Mr. Premise said:
I was referring to the lecithin mixture you use to make liposomal vitamin C. For that the ratio is three tablespoons lecithin granules to one cup water. It will have to be blended to fully dissolve. Then you add two tablespoons of that liquid to the chocolate.

Is it just me or do the granules really not want to dissolve? 5 mins of stirring in boiling water and theyre still just floating around.
Maybe I'm using too much lecithin/too little water, however I'm not keen on pouring loads of water into the chocolate

Mr. Premise said:

Ah ok, I understand. That would make sense now. I mentioned the mix I made came out hard, but that was cuz it was actually from the freezer (was trying to harden it quicker). We put it in the fridge after and it turned to a sort of pudding texture lol. So if anyone is looking to make pudding add the whole cup instead of 2 tbs of the mixture :P

Carlise said:
Is it just me or do the granules really not want to dissolve? 5 mins of stirring in boiling water and theyre still just floating around.
Maybe I'm using too much lecithin/too little water, however I'm not keen on pouring loads of water into the chocolate

I find it helps if you put the mixture in the fridge for a few hours (at least a couple). You'll see the granules get oily looking and they can be blended easier. I have one of those handheld electric stirrers that work well for that. Or sometimes I just throw it in the blender for 30 sec.

Persej said:
Eboard10 said:
Out of curiosity, would it work using lard instead of butter or would the consistency become too hard?

It seems that it can be done with lard:

[quote author=Galaxia2002]I do some tests for my chocolate and the outcome was good! In a bowl I put 3 tbsp of hot water and dissolve some stevia and xilitol. Then add a mix of liquid warm fat ( lard 70 % - ghee 30 %) . Add the content of 2 capsules (2g) of sunflower lecithin for better emulsification (I need to test if it is necessary) Mix until water don't separate of fat. While the mix is warm (if it is not, warm it in the microwave and it shouldn't be hot) add cocoa powder, not too much because you get it bitter. Last I put some vanilla essence and Cinnamon powder. The Cinnamon not overcome the taste but cover the pig taste, and the vanilla makes the difference.

https://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,26223.msg322117.html#msg322117
[/quote]

I'm trying this one right now but using only lard :lol:... as it is very hard to find coconut oil for human consumption or ghee here... :(

I'll post about the result soon. ;D

Acid Yazz said:
I'm trying this one right now but using only lard :lol:... as it is very hard to find coconut oil for human consumption or ghee here... :(

You can make ghee out of butter. Here is a thread about it: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,15974.0.html

edit: also: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZgIN4cZYc&feature=related

Homemade chocolate is my weakness as well, and I've had the same problem as some other folks here getting the xylitol to be evenly mixed in the chocolate, instead of just sinking to the bottom.

I've used a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream as an emulsifier before, never thought to try lecithin. Have to try that!

mkrnhr said:
Acid Yazz said:

You can make ghee out of butter. Here is a thread about it: http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php/topic,15974.0.html

edit: also: _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZgIN4cZYc&feature=related

Thanks!

I knew that, but I still can't find organic butter here, so I prefer doing it it with organic lard which is quite easy to find here. ;)

I tried that recipe. It was fine, but the chocolate didn't mix too well with the lard, so it stayed at the bottom while the lard stayed at the top, so I'm going to melt it and mix it better, and then put it again in the fridge... :lol:

Lost Spirit said:
Homemade chocolate is my weakness as well, and I've had the same problem as some other folks here getting the xylitol to be evenly mixed in the chocolate, instead of just sinking to the bottom.

I've used a couple of tablespoons of heavy cream as an emulsifier before, never thought to try lecithin. Have to try that!

It's more of an art than a science for me. If I heat the mixture just long enough it works out well and doesn't go to liquid, and is kind of a thick consistency. Then you add the lecithin (finally figured that one out :)) and it mixes perfectly.

I think I've had this chocolate every day for about 2 weeks now, it's such a great way of getting extra fat, combined with the broth.

Carlise said:
Mr. Premise said:

I was wondering if I use liquid lecithin what is the ratio I must use? :huh:

zim said:
Carlise said:
Mr. Premise said:

Two tablespoons per batch.

fabric said:
We tried this last night and it came out pretty well. We changed the recipe slightly, and used 1/2 cup of coconut oil, 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup tallow. Then we put about a 1/2 dropper of stevia and 2 tbs of xylitol (we grinded it into a fine powder).

We are using 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 2tsp of xylitol and 2tsp of d-riboe, about 1/2 cup of lecithin and some fresh vanilla.
Once mixed/melted we're adding 1-1/2 to 2 cups of cocoa powder - stirred over a very low heat until it is no longer lumpy (still trying to get the consistency right).
If you can get it to look shiny and smooth but also come out quite thick the chocolate it produces has an excellent crunch once frozen!

Something else people may not have tried - hot chocolate.
Cocoa powder, xylitol/d-ribose, butter - and broth! We call it brocolate :)

Mr. Premise said:
zim said:
Carlise said:
Mr. Premise said:

Two tablespoons per batch.

thanks Mr Premise! :D

Back
Top Bottom