New Ouija Movies

Stuart

Padawan Learner
It came to my attention recently a little trend in the way of Ouija board movies coming soon, which is interesting due to the recent developments with the Knowledge and being videos etc.

First up is a movie called "The Invited" - apparently inspired by true events about evil being unleashed at a house with a big focus on a Ouija board, which I'm sure will be responsible somehow.

The trailer is here:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubRX9ltxaiU

That's for the horror fans that they can market Ouija=evil.

For people not open so much to the horror element well it's time for Micheal "Transformers" Bay to step up with his adaptation of the board made by Hasbro.

A report says:

The studio is looking at the project as a supernatural action-adventure movie. It is possible that certain rules of the game — never use it alone, never use it in a graveyard, always say good-bye — figure into the plot.

It's got a big movie studio and a big producer so this will be mass marketed and will probably include buckets of disinformation about Ouija board and its dangers.

Also in the works is a film called "Beware the Devil":

It's based on a book of the same name, based on the life of a guy who, by getting involved with Ouija boards and the occult by trying to disprove it, trying to take the piss out of it, got possessed, had to be exorcised, and later became an exorcist himself. The guy it happened to has died, but his son's a novelist, and he helped him turn it into a book before he passed away, and now I'm working with him to turn it into a film."

Beware the Devil: A True Story of Deliverance was written by Robert Lee and published in 1983.

Eli Roth is also making a film called "Cotton" which will also include exorcisms - whether or not it contains the Ouija board I'm not sure.

So it seems Ouija boards are back in fashion.

The Ouija board makes a brief appearance in the recent movie Paranormal Activity. It was discussed here:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14067.0

Hmmm. Well it seems from previous discussions, 4D STS couldn't stop TFOCM from happening, so what if we are seeing a ramped-up trend to hypnotize people with the 'evil Ouija board' program so that when people become aware of the link between Paleochristianity and the C's, they will shun TFOCM.

Maybe "pro-Ouija" is intended to be the new "anti-semitic trick"?

Maybe we should launch our own "counter the propaganda campaign"?

Well, I had more in mind addressing the issue of ouija boards and the false representation put forward by the media. Like propagating the TRUTH about the kid behind the movie "The Exorcist" and how this was twisted and a whole "New Age Belief" grew out of a lie.

Yeah, we do sort of have our own "counter the propaganda campaign," but maybe we should take it up a notch or two....

It's really unreal, how every move here is met with a counter move by the PTB.

RyanX said:
The Ouija board makes a brief appearance in the recent movie Paranormal Activity. It was discussed here:

http://www.cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=14067.0

Interesting, I noticed the movie was shot three years ago yet it came out this year on the 25th September, just 4 days after Laura announced the Knowledge and Being video in another thread - talk about timing!

Laura said:
Well, I had more in mind addressing the issue of ouija boards and the false representation put forward by the media. Like propagating the TRUTH about the kid behind the movie "The Exorcist" and how this was twisted and a whole "New Age Belief" grew out of a lie.

I think that would be good idea considering there seems to be so many lies and urban legends surrounding ouija boards.

Laura said:

Here's a contribution towards that goal.

What is interesting is that the Ouija board occupies such a small role in "The Exorcist" and is quickly forgotton by most viewers; yet, because the board and the activity of working it serves a pivotal role as a 'doorway' to everything that happens afterward, as long as the story can be kept in people's minds, the Ouija board will always be there, even if only implicitly, to serve as "cause" for everything evil, and never mind the facts.

[quote author=_http://www.museumoftalkingboards.com/Film.html]
The Ouija board sequence in the film ["The Exorcist"] is a small but significant one. In it, Chris (Ellen Burstyn) asks her daughter Regan (Linda Blair) if she knows how to use the family Ouija board:

"Sure Mom, I do it all the time with Captain Howdy," answers Regan.
"Who is Captain Howdy?" asks Chris.
"You know. Captain Howdy. I ask the questions and he gives the answers!"

In The Exorcist, the Ouija board acts as the threshold through which Captain Howdy takes possession of Regan. The film is a classic Christian psychodrama starring the Devil as absolute unmitigated evil whose sole purpose is to corrupt the innocent and torment the living. The Ouija scene, so essential to the plot, is quickly forgotten, eclipsed by the horror that follows.[/quote]

Before researcher/writer Mark Opsasnick came along, it was generally considered that the most fascinating and in-depth article ever to appear on the subject appeared in the January 1975 edition of Fate magazine. In a feature titled “The Truth Behind The Exorcist,” author Steve Erdmann reveals never-before-known information regarding the facts behind the story.

Erdmann begins his account by providing the readers with basic background information. The 14-year-old Mount Rainier boy, referred to in the aforementioned “diary” as “Roland Doe,” became possessed by an “invisible entity” after he and his “Aunt Tillie” began experimenting with an Ouija Board in January 1949. He was treated at D.C.’s Georgetown University Hospital before having the demon successfully exorcised by Jesuit priests at St. Louis University.

As to how the real story about a boy became a book and movie of a female character, Opsasnick writes:

[quote author=Opsasnick]
The most interesting aspect of this work is that William Peter Blatty tells of a letter he composed to the priest who conducted the actual 1949 exorcism. Blatty prints a censored version of the exorcist’s response, revealing for the first time the existence of a diary kept by an attending priest that recorded the daily events of the ongoing exorcism. Blatty writes that he requested to see the diary but the exorcist declined. Blatty decided to ease the exorcist’s anxiety and change the lead character from a 14-year-old boy to that of a 12-year-old girl.[/quote]

In October, 1997, Mark Opsasnick began investigating 'The Exorcist' to answer some questions like: Who Was This Possessed Kid and Where Did He Really Live?

[quote author=Opsasnick]
My interest in The Exorcist tale gradually escalated during the 1992 to 1996 time period. Most of my spare hours were spent during those years conducting research for my book Capitol Rock (Riverdale: Fort Center Books, 1997). Consequently, for a lengthy chapter on blues-rock guitar great Roy Buchanan, I spent a great deal of time canvassing the city of Mount Rainier, Maryland—a smallish working-class community of approximately 8,000 residents quietly tucked away in Victorian homes and bungalows on the D.C. line. The town was known for two things: the home of the great Roy Buchanan—and the alleged site of the story behind The Exorcist.
The various published writings on the 1949 possession case contained a great deal of conflicting and confusing information. Still, I felt it would be a tremendous personal challenge to conduct this investigation from an entirely different viewpoint and in October 1997 I began my pursuit.[/quote]

Who Was This Possessed Kid and Where Did He Really Live?

[quote author=Opsasnick]
For reasons that will later become obvious I will from now on refer to this individual as “Rob Doe” (a combination of previously used pseudonyms). His date of birth was June 1, 1935, meaning he was actually 13 when the rite of exorcism was finally completed. Rob’s home address was 3807 40th Avenue, Cottage City, Maryland, a small working-class community of around 1,200 residents that quietly sits one mile from Washington, D.C.’s northeast border. Nestled between the towns of Colmar Manor and Brentwood, Cottage City is located about two miles due east across Rhode Island Avenue (Route One) from Mount Rainier.[/quote]

Why must “Rob Doe” remain anonymous?
At the conclusion of his investigation, Mark describes his contact with "Rob Doe":

[quote author=Opsasnick]
From a Cottage City source I obtained an East Coast address where the Haunted Boy now resides and his current phone number. I called and Rob Doe himself answered. Our conversation was brief and direct and he gruffly spoke to me in a very deep, gravelly voice. He admitted to me that he had grown up in Cottage City and had never lived in Mount Rainier. He stated that he had seen the movie The Exorcist but did not offer his take on the film. He seemed very alarmed that I had contacted him and told me there would be no cooperation on his part whatsoever. He would not confirm that he was the subject of this investigation and firmly stated he did not want me to ever call him back again. His response was typical of someone who did not want to be reminded of some distant embarrassing event from his past.[/quote]

Some examples of the so-called possession?

No one who actually knew him believed he was 'possessed', but they DO have some interesting examples of "Rob's" behavior:

_http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?p=288680 said:
J. C.’s brother “B.C.” was said to be Rob Doe’s best friend throughout childhood.
J.C.:
I don’t think he [Rob] was ever possessed. I think it was psychological. They [the family] were German Lutherans and he [Rob] was an only child and I think the grandmother is actually the central figure. She played a very influential role in all of this. You had this old world religion superstition and the mother got caught up in it and the father just kind of stayed in the background—I think he could see what was going on which is why he is never mentioned. The true story is much more intriguing from a psychological point of view. The basis of the real thing could be a damn good story, no doubt about it in my mind. The rest of it I can run a parallel. You had these two mischief makers that had a strong tendency to take advantage of people who were weaker than themselves. They were a pair of connivers and they had their act down. In pairs like that they compete with each other and they don’t get along well and they have to keep doing something to retain their relationship and all the time this is mischief in one form or another. They were trying to outdo each other.

One thing happened regarding all of this and I have a hard time clearing it in my mind. We were in eighth grade, it was the ’48-’49 school year and we were in a class together at Bladensburg Junior High. He was sitting in a chair and it was one of those deals with one arm attached and it looked like he was shaking the desk—the desk was shaking and vibrating extremely fast and I remember the teacher yelling at him to stop it and I remember he kind of yelled “I’m not doing it” and they took him out of class and that was the last I ever saw of him in school.

[quote author=Opsasnick]
I can say that B. C. provided a detailed profile of an only child who went through anything but a normal childhood: smothered by his obsessively religious mother and grandmother who held deep interests in spiritualism and Ouija Boards; shunned by his classmates at school; prone to tantrums and even violent outbursts towards his family and his few friends; exhibiting cruel and at times even sadistic behavior towards other children and even animals. It was evident that elements of the alleged possession had always been there, going back years and years. “Dysfunctional” would be the word modern-era psychiatrists would use to describe the boy’s home life and upbringing.[/quote]

B.C., Rob's best friend, had some odd theories on what may have happened regarding the “possession”:

[quote author=B.C.]

The reason behind it, you’re going to laugh but I don’t care. There was this dog that ran around the neighborhood at that time…. It was half-red cocker spaniel and it looked like it was half-chow. This dog was mean and nobody ever knew who owned it. It just came out of nowhere. Well, [Rob] basically adopted that dog. That dog was really his best friend, not me. That dog hated everyone and everything and would bite anyone in sight but he loved [Rob]. [Rob] would feed it and bring it in the house with him. One time he called me up and told me to come over and I never really trusted him because he was sneaky and a real mean little bastard. I was going over there and he was looking out from the basement window and when I got to his house I heard the back porch door slam and I knew right away what he’d done. He’d done this sort of thing many times before to different kids. I started running like hell because he’d sicked that dog on me. When I got home he called me up and was laughing like hell. That’s what kind of person he was. He did that all the time. He’d always sic that dog on anyone who came around…. I could tell you many, many other stories like that.[/quote]

Opsasnick's summary of Rob Doe's behavior:

[quote author=Opsasnick]
Personally, I do not believe Rob Doe was possessed. There is simply too much evidence that indicates that as a boy he had serious emotional problems stemming from his home life. There is not one shred of hard evidence to support the notion of demonic possession. The facts show that he was a spoiled and disturbed only child with a very overprotective mother and a non-responsive father. To me his behavior was indicative of an outcast youth who desperately wanted out of Bladensburg Junior High School at any cost. He wanted attention and he wanted to leave the area and go to St. Louis. Throwing tantrums was the answer. He began to play his concocted game. For his efforts he got a collection of priests (who had no previous exorcism experience) who doted over him as he lay strapped to a bed. His response was that of any normal child—he reacted with rage, he wanted out.[/quote]

The following timeline may not address the issue of "ouija boards and the false representation put forward by the media", but it may serve to present an idea of "how this was twisted and a whole "New Age Belief" grew out of a lie."

As the inspiration for The Exorcist, this case emerged as one of the most significant examples of paranormal phenomena in history. It spawned movies, books, and videos, and influenced hundreds of “copycat” cases around the world that led to exorcism-styled assaults, mutilations, and even deaths.

April, 1949
...an exorcism ended after a little more than six weeks, on April 19, 1949

August 10
The media first became involved in this case when The Washington Post ran an article on August 10, 1949 titled “Pastor Tells Eerie Tale of ‘Haunted’ Boy.” Written in an almost tongue-in-cheek style by reporter Bill Brinkley, the piece tells an “out-of-this-world” story of a local 13-year-old boy.
The story came to light when an unnamed minister gave a speech before a local meeting of the Society of Parapsychology at the Mount Pleasant Library in Washington, D.C. According to the minister the family had experienced many strange events in their suburban Maryland home beginning January 18th.

The minister, described as being intensely skeptical, arranged for the boy to spend the night of February 17th in his home. With the boy sleeping nearby in a twin bed the minister reported that in the dark he heard vibrating sounds from the bed and scratching sounds on the wall. During the rest of the night he allegedly witnessed some strange events—a heavy armchair in which the boy sat seemingly tilted on its own and tipped over and a pallet of blankets on which the sleeping boy lay inexplicably moved around the room. Curiously, the article described the minister as laughing as he related these incidents to his audience. He admonished the boy by saying, “Now, look, this is enough of this....” The article ended by saying that the minister called in the family doctor, who prescribed phenobarbital for the whole family.

That same day:
The Evening Star (Washington, D.C.) followed up the Post’s scoop with an uncredited article later that evening on August 10, 1949 titled “Minister Tells Parapsychologists Noisy ‘Ghost’ Plagued Family.” The Evening Star’s account differed from the Post’s in that the family was referred to as “Mr. and Mrs. John Doe” and their 13-year-old son “Roland.”

August 11

The Times-Herald (Washington, D.C.) joined the fray with an article by William Flythe, Jr. on August 11, 1949 titled “‘Haunted’ Boy’s Parents Tell Of Ghost Messages.” A basic rehash of the previous two accounts, this piece adds that the boy lived in the “Brentwood section northeast” and also tells that the family had found dermographic messages written in a rash on the boy’s body.

August 19

On August 19, 1949 The Evening Star (Washington, D.C.) featured the article “Priest Freed Boy of Possession By Devil, Church Sources Say.” As the first account to provide any exorcism details to the public, the article opens by saying, “A Catholic priest has successfully freed a 14-year-old Mount Rainier, Md., boy of reported possession by the devil here early this year, it was disclosed today.”

The next day the same paper ran a follow-up titled “New Details of Boy’s Exorcism In Catholic Ritual Disclosed,” though in reality few new details were revealed. It did cite church sources as saying that during the rite the boy had recited a stream of blasphemous curses, intermingled with Latin phrases. The article then recapped events that had earlier been printed regarding the minister at a meeting of the Society of Parapsychology.

August 20 [This is the article that would stick in William Peter Blatty’s mind and serve as the later inspiration for 'The Exorcist'].

The Washington Post chimed in on August 20, 1949 with another Bill Brinkley-authored piece, this one titled “Priest Frees Mt. Rainier Boy Reported Held in Devil’s Grip.” At greater length than the previous published accounts, Brinkley recounts the family’s entire haunting episode and reveals that only after 20 to 30 performances of the ancient ritual of exorcism was the devil finally cast out of the boy. He also tells that during the rite the youngster would break into violent tantrums of screaming, cursing, and voicing of Latin phrases.

Also in August

The Parapsychology Bulletin (August 1949, Number 14), a periodical of the New York-based Parapsychology Foundation, weighed in with the uncredited “Report Of A Poltergeist,” an article that finally published the name of the anonymous clergyman of the haunted boy’s family. He turned out to be Reverend Luther Miles Schulze and in this article his experiences with the boy were reported in detail.

1950 - Spring
In the spring of 1950 Father Gallagher loaned the diary to then-Georgetown University dean Father Brian McGrath, S.J. When Father Gallagher attempted to retrieve the diary, he was told by Father McGrath’s secretary that only nine carbon pages remained. [Erdmann wonders whether or not the diary had somehow found its way into Blatty’s hands.]

D.R. Linson, “Washington’s Haunted Boy,” Fate, April 1951.

William Peter Blatty began writing The Exorcist in 1969, drawing upon the material he had discovered some twenty years earlier, and finished his project during the summer of 1971.

William Peter Blatty’s The Exorcist: the novel published in May, 1971.
The Exorcist is a horror novel written by William Peter Blatty. It is based on a 1949 exorcism Blatty heard about while he was a student in the class of 1950 at Georgetown University, a Jesuit and Catholic school.
The exorcism was partially performed in both Mount Rainier, Maryland and Bel-Nor, Missouri. Several area newspapers reported on a speech a priest gave to an amateur parapsychology society, in which he claimed to have exorcised a demon from a thirteen-year-old boy named Ronald, and that the ordeal lasted a little more than six weeks, ending on April 19, 1949.
_http://www.squidoo.com/the-exorcist-movie

When filming of The Exorcist began in August 1972, articles surfaced in newspapers and magazines around the country that explored the author-producer’s various reference sources.

August, 1972
The first of many major publications to consider Blatty’s literary sources was The New York Times, which weighed in with an article by Chris Chase on August 27, 1972 titled “Everyone’s Reading It, Billy’s Filming It.” The article chronicles how director William Friedkin became involved in the project and touches upon the fact that Blatty based his novel on a local story of demonic possession that he learned of while attending college.

November 3, 1972
...in the November 3, 1972 edition of The Evening Star and The Washington Daily News (Washington, D.C.). Titled “Luncheon With Father John J. Nicola,” the article explains that Nicola, then 43-year-old assistant director of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in D.C. and regarded as one of the country’s leading authorities on exorcism, was called upon to serve as the movie’s technical consultant. Details of the entire case are recapped along with Nicola’s views on the subject as a whole.

November 6, 1972
Sally Quinn, “Exorcism: Beating The Devil,” The Washington Post, 6 November 1972.

March
Curtis Fuller, “I See by The Papers: Exorcism And Possession,” Fate, March 1973.

December 23
Gary Arnold, “Exorcist: The Word Made Flesh,” The Washington Post, 23 December 1973.

December 26
The Film, The Exorcist, was released by Warner Brothers on December 26, 1973. It was produced by William Peter Blatty himself and directed by William Friedkin (who received a 1971 academy award for Best Director for the movie The French Connection). Blatty had based the story on a supposedly real event that took place in the Washington, D.C. area back in 1949.

Jeremiah O’Leary, “The Exorcist: Story That Almost Wasn’t,” Washington Star-News, 29 December 1973.

William Peter Blatty, William Peter Blatty On The Exorcist From Novel To Film (New York: Bantam Books, 1974). (The 41-page introduction provides some valuable information on how Blatty became aware of the story and how he developed his novel. The rest of the book deals with the movie’s screenplay). Basically, this book filled in the gaps on how he devised this literary project. He writes that as a 20-year-old English Literature major at Georgetown University he spied an article in the August 20, 1949 Washington Post (Bill Brinkley, “Priest Frees Mt. Rainier Boy Reported Held In Devil’s Grip”), that told of a 14-year-old Mount Rainier, Maryland boy who had been freed by a Catholic priest of possession by the devil through the ancient ritual of exorcism. For years the notion of demonic possession stuck in his mind though he failed to incorporate the information into his work product.

Additionally, Blatty prints a censored version of the exorcist’s response, revealing for the first time the existence of a diary kept by an attending priest that recorded the daily events of the ongoing exorcism. Blatty writes that he requested to see the diary but the exorcist declined. Blatty decided to ease the exorcist’s anxiety and change the lead character from a 14-year-old boy to that of a 12-year-old girl. In this book Blatty goes on to mention that five copies of the diary were known to exist at that time: two were in the possession of people who watched over the boy; copies were in the archives of two separate archdioceses; and one was in the files of an unnamed public city hospital where the boy had stayed. (It has since been determined that there are several other copies floating around out there among private collectors.) Blatty maintains that he did indeed eventually read the diary and based much of his book and movie on that material, though he does not reveal how he came upon his copy.

January, 1974
Martin Ebon, Exorcism: Fact Not Fiction (New York: Signet Books, January 1974). (This pocket paperback reprints the April 1951 Fate article and mainly summarizes the early newspaper accounts of the case.)

Rev. John J. Nicola, Diabolical Possession and Exorcism (Rockford, Illinois: Tan Books and Publishers, Inc., 1974), chapter 10. (Nicola poorly reconstructs the case that inspired The Exorcist, providing no documented sources for his sensational version of the alleged possession.)

Peter Travers and Stephanie Reiff, The Story Behind The Exorcist (New York: Signet Books, 1974). (A rather disappointing treatment of how the movie was filmed. There is very little here on the actual background of the 1949 possession.)

Tom Shales, “‘Exorcist’: No One Under 17 Admitted,” The Washington Post, 3 January 1974.

Ronald V. Borst, “The Exorcist,” Photon, Number 25, 1974.

Pauline Kael, “The Current Cinema: Back To the Ouija Board,” The New Yorker, 7 January 1974.

Cathe Wolhowe, “Bedeviled By Film, Curious Go To GU,” The Washington Post, 10 January 1974.

“Movies: The Ghoul Next Door,” Newsweek, 21 January 1974.

James L. Foye, M.D. “A Psychiatrist On Rites Of Exorcism,” The Washington Post, 22 January 1974.

William Gildea, “Confronting Satan’s Wrongs With Rites,” The Washington Post, 29 January 1974.

February

Elizabeth Peer, “The Exorcism Frenzy,” Newsweek, 11 February 1974.

Nominated in 1974 for ten Academy Awards (including Best Picture), The Exorcist was the recipient of two: “Best Screenplay Based On Material From Another Medium”—William Peter Blatty, and “Best Sound”—Robert Knudson and Chris Newman.

January 1975
...in the January 1975 edition of Fate magazine. In a feature titled “The Truth Behind The Exorcist,” author Steve Erdmann reveals never-before-known information regarding the facts behind the story.

Erdmann begins his account by providing the readers with basic background information. The 14-year-old Mount Rainier boy, referred to in the aforementioned “diary” as “Roland Doe,” became possessed by an “invisible entity” after he and his “Aunt Tillie” began experimenting with an Ouija Board in January 1949. He was treated at D.C.’s Georgetown University Hospital before having the demon successfully exorcised by Jesuit priests at St. Louis University.[/quote]

June
Lynda Hoover, “The Devil In Prince George’s County?” The Prince George’s Journal, 19 June 1975.

August
Sharon Page, “Q And A: Father Nicola Pursues Trail Of The Devil,” The Washington Star, 19 August 1975.

February, 1981
Spencer Gordon, “The Exorcist: The real incident involved a Mt. Rainier priest in 1949,” The Prince George’s Sentinel, 4 February, 1981.

Two of the more influential articles to appear on this subject (at least as far as local lore goes) can be found within the pages of The Prince George’s Sentinel, a weekly published in Hyattsville, Maryland. The first, “The Exorcist: The real incident involved a Mt. Rainier priest in 1949,” was written by Spencer Gordon, and appeared in the February 4, 1981 edition. The article reveals for the first time that Father E. Albert Hughes of St. James Church in Mount Rainier was the priest who conducted the mysterious, much-rumored first exorcism attempt on the boy at Georgetown University Hospital. The article tells that after psychiatrists failed to help the boy at Georgetown University Hospital, Father Hughes was called in to perform the exorcism.

Denis Brian, The Enchanted Voyager: The Life Of J. B. Rhine (Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall, 1982). (Chapter 29 consists of six pages on the case. J. B. Rhine learned of the case from Reverend Luther Miles Schulze, the first clergyman called in by the family. It is revealed that Rhine never witnessed any of the phenomena himself and actually wondered if Reverend Schulze “unconsciously exaggerated” some of the facts. Rhine’s feelings have been conveniently ignored by other journalists.)

Brenda Caggiano, “Exorcism: Demonic possession still haunts Mt. Rainier residents,” The Prince George’s Sentinel, 28 October 1983. This was the second Sentinel article, that was referred to under the "1981" heading, above, and just in time for the Halloween season. This rambling article includes rough interviews conducted with local residents and tavern occupants, none of whom knew the possessed boy’s name.

May 1985
Arthur S. Brisbane, “Youth’s Bizarre Symptoms Led To 1949 Exorcism,” The Washington Post, 6 May 1985. The real significance of this article lies in the quotes attributed to Father Frank Bober. Discussing where the boy lived, Bober tells the reporter, “Father Hughes never told me the exact spot (of the residence) but people who were familiar with the case who are still living in Mt. Rainier identified it.” Curiously, Bober does not identify the people who identified that location. I would discover the reason later in my investigation: no such individuals existed.

Vincent F.A. Golphin, “Is Town Viewing Live Rerun Of The Exorcist? Some Say Demons Have Come Back,” National Catholic Reporter, 24 May 1985.

Vincent F.A. Golphin, “Priest Says Not Devil, But Force Of Evil,” National Catholic Reporter, 24 May 1985.

July 1986
Marybeth Burke, “‘Exorcist’ Based On 1949 Event,” The Prince George’s Journal, 22 July 1986.

April 1988
John M. McGuire, “The Exorcist Revisited,” The Post-Dispatch (St. Louis, MO), 17 April 1988.

March 1990
Mary Mann, “Setting The Exorcism Record Straight,” South Side Journal (St. Louis, MO), 14 March 1990.

Thomas B. Allen, “Possessed,” Washingtonian, June 1994.

Books, television specials, and video documentaries on the subject have appeared, with the most recent offerings being the 1994 book Possessed: The True Story Of An Exorcism by Thomas B. Allen. Possessed is the only book to focus entirely on the exorcism of the possessed boy (who Allen refers to as “Robbie”) and is essentially based on two sources: the 26-page diary (Steve Erdmann claims the diary was 16 pages long in his January 1975 Fate article) that Allen reveals was kept by Father Raymond Bishop; and interviews with Father Walter H. Halloran, a then-Jesuit scholastic who assisted in the St. Louis exorcism.

The book suffers many shortcomings: the possessed boy’s identity is not revealed; the schools he attended are not mentioned; no interviews are conducted with any of the boy’s childhood friends or classmates; no interviews are conducted with any friends or neighbors of the boy’s family (once again raising suspicion as to the dubious Mount Rainier location); and the possessed boy himself is not interviewed.

July 1997
Susan Adeletti, “The Exorcist: The Real Story,” The Prince George’s Journal, 11 July 1997.

A 50-minute video titled In The Grip Of Evil, which was produced in 1997 by Henninger Media Development Inc. of Arlington, Virginia, in conjunction with the Discovery Channel. Thomas B. Allen also served as story consultant and writer for this video. It combines theatrical reenactments with Unsolved Mysteries-styled cameo commentaries by a host of characters including Allen himself, Father Walter Halloran and Father Frank Bober. Curiously, Allen opens the video explaining that the family was from Mount Rainier (which I felt from the beginning was a critical error), though clips shown in two different parts of the video depicting the boy’s home reveal a still-intact house that is clearly not at the famed corner of 33rd Street and Bunker Hill Road in Mount Rainier.

October, 1997, Mark Opsasnick began investigating 'The Exorcist' to answer some questions like: Who Was This Possessed Kid and Where Did He Really Live?

[quote author=Opsasnick]
Despite the widespread popularity of this story in the aftermath of William Peter Blatty’s novel and movie, no one had ever actually investigated this case prior to my involvement. Rob Doe had never been interviewed, nor identified. No investigator had ever talked with his childhood friends or people from the neighborhood in which he grew up. In fact, no journalist ever got the location right in the first place. All previous accounts had placed the boy at 3210 Bunker Hill Road in Mount Rainier, an inexcusable error.

With the completion of this adventure we now know who the boy was, where he really lived, where he attended school, who his friends were, what his family life was like, and what behavior and personality traits he exhibited before his alleged “possession.” The credibility of the mysterious diary has now been called into question. I have shown that Father Walter Halloran—the one living, talking eyewitness to the St. Louis exorcism attempts, maintains that he did not witness any supernatural behavior by Rob Doe—no strange foreign languages (other than mimicked Latin), no changes in tone of voice, no prodigious strength, no excessive vomiting or urinating, and—to top it off—he is uncertain about the nature of the markings or skin brandings on the boy’s body. Perhaps most important of all, this case illustrates the need in paranormal investigation for close scrutiny of both initial newspaper accounts and highly touted individuals as providers of information. In this instance, both sources muddled the picture by embellishing the story when facts were uncertain.

Each of the parties involved in this case approached it from its own frame of reference. To psychiatrists, Rob Doe suffered from mental illness. To priests this was a case of demonic possession. To writers and film/video producers this was a great story to exploit for profit. Those involved saw what they were trained to see. Each purported to look at the facts but just the opposite was true—in actuality they manipulated the facts and emphasized information that fit their own agendas.[/quote]

For further information contact Mark Chorvinsky at Strange Magazine, c/o Dream Wizards, 11772 Parklawn Drive, Rockville MD 20852, phone 301-570-7561, fax 301-570-7562, or email strange1(at)strangemag.com

Sources for Mark Opsasnick's quotes:
_http://www.strangemag.com/exorcistpage1.html
_http://rigorousintuition.ca/board/viewtopic.php?p=288680

That would make a great blogpost and everybody who has a blog could comment on it, link to it, mention it and propagate it.

Laura said:
That would make a great blogpost and everybody who has a blog could comment on it, link to it, mention it and propagate it.

Thanks. I put it here:

_http://stuffnsuch.wordpress.com/
or
_http://stuffnsuch.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/the-truth-about-the-exorcist-2/

So, you've started a blog! I hope to see more blogging!!! There are so many great posts on this forum that deserve to be stand-alone articles on blogs. Hopefully, some more of you will start to think back over some of the great posts you have written to help another member and see if you can't track them down, maybe edit slightly, and put them on your blog. We could have an entire network of great blogs out there helping others!

Excellent blog Buddy, thank you for taking the time to do this. I've added your site to stumble upon to get the ball rolling and hopefully others will link your site with their blogs. :)

Stuart said:
Excellent blog Buddy, thank you for taking the time to do this. I've added your site to stumble upon to get the ball rolling and hopefully others will link your site with their blogs. :)

Yes, let's start building a network of interconnected blogs! And leave comments on each other's blogs, too!

Back
Top Bottom