New show: NewsReal with Joe & Niall

Joe

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Car Terror Attack in London, Crimea Flashpoint, Imperial Hypocrisy in Syria

"Hell is empty and all the devils are here", or so it seems as major events on our planet continue to be typified by chaos, recklessness and fecklessness under the stewardship of a cabal of 'reality creators' with complete disregard for facts.

This last week has seen a uptick in tension in the area of Crimea/Ukraine with the US launching 'Spring Storm' military exercises using the coast of Romania to practice a land invasion. Where were they practicing for? Russia seems to be in no doubt that Crimea, just across the black sea, was the real future target, and while the US exercises were ongoing, the Russian military announced surprise unprecedented military maneuvers on the Crimean peninsula. The US wasn't happy of course, and neither were their lackeys in Kiev.

One day after the exercises ended, a massive explosion occurred at a Ukraine arms depot near Kharkiv, about 60 miles from both the front lines of the conflict in East Ukraine and from the Russian border. It seems most of the missiles and rockets and other ammunition were destroyed. Russia of course was blamed by Kiev, with Poroshenko tweeting that he may ask NATO to come in to "demine" the area (NATO doesn't do demining). The real culprits however, are probably much closer to home.

Imperial hypocrisy was on full display this week as the US continues to blow the hell out of Mosul and its population in its alleged attempt to defeat ISIS in the city. The fact that ISIS is largely a creation of the US and its Gulf allies, and that Russia was able to liberate Aleppo with very few civilian casualties, has been lost in the western media hubris.

Meanwhile in London, "ISIS'" new tactic of 'car terror' came to the 'heart of power' in London, Westminster, with a 'lone wolf' knocking down several people on Westminster bridge before crashing into the railings outside the Houses of Parliament. Above and beyond the goals of spreading more fear among the people of Europe and provoking religious tension, was someone sending a message to the British political elite? And in the USA, mass casualty shootings continued apace.

What is the world coming to?

This week on Behind the Headlines we'll be discussing these subjects and probably much more. Join your hosts at 6pm CEST 12 noon EST for our usual lively discussion.

Our new show 'NewsReal with Joe and Niall' pretty much replaces 'Behind the Headlines' as the Sunday show on Sott Radio.

We've gone with new branding and a new YT channel for it. After many attempts, we've come to accept that we don't have the bandwidth for livestreaming the visual show on Sundays, so if you're listening live, you only get audio. From the following day, however, the 'whole' show is available to watch.

In addition to our comprehensive 1hour+ discussions, we'll also be making 'NewsReal Shorts' for that channel, inshallah.

Here's the 'first' one, enjoy!

WOOHOO! :cheer:

We have new faster internet both here and at the Farm, which has been like a breath of fresh air... but upstream bandwidth is still pretty winky. So, audio is okay, but streaming video is really pushing things. That's why the live video we've had in the past was such a small window and kinda blocky.

But on the plus side, we have a new setup now, complete with much better cameras and a capture card (we were using just webcams before). It was all a bit expensive for our small non-Hollywood budget. But if there's one thing I learned from my YT channel, it's that you simply must at least get some fairly good equipment - and then tweak until you're sick of it - and then tweak some more. So, still working out some of the kinks.

We still need to play with cam modes and focus settings, because the footage is a bit too soft for my taste (that's typical of most camcorders). Also need to play with lighting a bit more in "light" of the new cams. We don't want "the talent" to look dead, but at the same time we don't want them to be blinded or burst into flames, either...

I'd also like to get Joe and Niall better mics after we had an issue with Niall's mic.

Well, one step at a time. For now, it would be great if all you fans would subscribe to the YT channel! I did. ;-D

The shows will be on SOTT, of course, but the dedicated YT channel that is not SOTT branded will hopefully also pull in more viewers.

People like Peterson, Shapiro, Weinstein(s), Rogan and so on in this so-called "Intellectual Dark Web" are great in many respects, but they each sure have some pretty big blind spots. I'm also not totally convinced that they're going to be as great together in the end as they think. Even together, they don't seem to see the Big Picture. I dunno - there's just something about it that bugs me. I could just be nutty though.

Anyway, stay tuned for more exciting and informative moving picture shows - and better everything!
:headbanger:

Great stuff you guys! Thank you for all the work on this! :rockon:

Is there going to be any change to the content or structure of the rebranded show?

Well, one step at a time. For now, it would be great if all you fans would subscribe to the YT channel! I did. ;-D

Yup, same here! :-)

WOOHOO! :cheer:
People like Peterson, Shapiro, Weinstein(s), Rogan and so on in this so-called "Intellectual Dark Web" are great in many respects, but they each sure have some pretty big blind spots. I'm also not totally convinced that they're going to be as great together in the end as they think. Even together, they don't seem to see the Big Picture. I dunno - there's just something about it that bugs me. I could just be nutty though.

Yep, I thought about starting a thread about the IDW because I see some red flags there as well. Rubin is a bit too ecstatic about this "new movement" to my taste, and Bret Weinstein strikes me as someone who is a little too much in love with his theories about evolution and how to apply those universally "for the good of the people". He also disagreed with JP in one conversation about whether intelligence is connected to wisdom (he thinks it is). And to interpret his ideas admittedly a bit harshly, you could almost make the case there is a kind of a schizoidal declaration in there - people are programmed towards tribalism (i.e. bad) and we need to start bold experiments to reshape things if humanity is to survive... (you can see some of his thoughts on his website and the embedded video.) Don't know, but we know from Political Ponerology how movements and ideas tend to bear sour fruits indeed...

Anyway, the new show looks very promising, good luck guys!

We still need to play with cam modes and focus settings, because the footage is a bit too soft for my taste (that's typical of most camcorders). Also need to play with lighting a bit more in "light" of the new cams. We don't want "the talent" to look dead, but at the same time we don't want them to be blinded or burst into flames, either...

I'd also like to get Joe and Niall better mics after we had an issue with Niall's mic.

Tech notes:

I've been doing some search on cam stuff lately. As it turns out camcorders are very expensive (for my budget anyway), so after checking into alternatives I discovered that some of the newer smart phones have very good video quality and can do 1080p and even 4K. There's a site, DXOMark, that tests and ranks them (with a point score), explaining pros and cons with imagery. As an example, something like a Samsung S8+ is ranked really good and they're available in various places for $500 or less, used. And of course audio can be wired into a mixer or recorder etc. Just an FYI, as a way to have extra cams without big expense.

Mobile Reviews - DxOMark

As for mic, I have a Shure SM7B that is very good (and widely used for audio voice recording), so I can recommend that one.

Added: If you want to consider using wired lavalier mics the Rode Smartlav+ is pretty good based on my own tests. (it has a TRRS connector, so an adapter may be necessary depending on what it's connected to).

Last edited:
Fantastic. Maybe an out of the field remark would be that in addition to experimenting with light and focus, maybe it could be considered to use a fixed chair instead of the spinning one used by Joe.

Back
Top Bottom