New York

Nancy2feathers

The Living Force
PhoenixToEmber said:
Nancy2feathers said:
bm said:
Sorry to rehash an oldie but I thought it would be better than just starting a new thread. Anyone knows any places worth visiting in this city during this winter period? Or is it still just a heavily commercialised place with nothing much to offer in terms of soul? Not much of a traveller myself, but I figured I should do something with the two weeks that I'd be there.

When visiting NY, I really enjoy the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx: https://www.facebook.com/NYBotanicalGarden/
I always find it inspiring walking through the indoor/outdoor gardens. :D

I also recommend the Botanical Gardens. It's a beautiful place. But I'm not sure if it'll be worth visiting during the winter because nothing will be in bloom. The best time to visit the Botanical Gardens is during the spring or early summer.

Well they do have the indoor conservatories where they have the train show, orchid show, and many other exotic plants and cacti. I've roamed for hours along the indoor pathways in awe. :D
 

beetlemaniac

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Your suggestions are really appreciated.

I've been in NYC before, once, but that was some time just before stumbling onto the network. I was in a totally different world at that time. The things I did would be pretty cringe-worthy now - I went to a bunch of Apple Stores, watched Avatar in IMAX 3D when it just came out, went to the High Line garden (it was quite interesting, more for it's architectural rather than natural value), and other random things that I can't remember. Oh yes and Times Square too. And MoMA.

My list of things to do now would be:
-- Met
-- Cloisters
-- Botanical Gardens
-- Empire State
-- Bus Tour
-- plus all your other suggestions when I feel like it.

I guess I have grown up a bit since my last visit... your suggestions gave me some hope, not to mention ample opportunity to awaken the feeling center, even in the middle of the bustling city of NY. :flowers:
 

beetlemaniac

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Nancy2feathers said:
bm said:
Nancy2feathers said:
bm said:
Sorry to rehash an oldie but I thought it would be better than just starting a new thread. Anyone knows any places worth visiting in this city during this winter period? Or is it still just a heavily commercialised place with nothing much to offer in terms of soul? Not much of a traveller myself, but I figured I should do something with the two weeks that I'd be there.

When visiting NY, I really enjoy the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx: https://www.facebook.com/NYBotanicalGarden/
I always find it inspiring walking through the indoor/outdoor gardens. :D

Great recommendation! Looks like grounds admission is free on Wednesdays. Would it be worth it to get a ticket for the exhibitions too?

I went to the train show last year and it was spectacular! Miniature trains buzzing around and through a great variety of plants and greenery, buildings and bridges all made from natural materials, just stunning. I would suggest buying tickets in advance as they sell out pretty quick. If you are a lover of nature and plants, I would highly recommend this Garden of Eden in NYC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8bwnYRtZI

Also there are many Broadway and off-Broadway plays. And there is the mineral and salt baths in TriBeCa http://www.ancientbathsny.com/

I would never think of going to NYC for New Years. That is definitely when all the crazies come out to celebrate.

It would have been so great, but I just missed the opportunity to watch this year's train show! :(
 

beetlemaniac

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Puck said:
I'd suggest the Botanical Gardens as well as the Cloisters, both are wonderful spots. The Metropolitan Museum has an incredible collection of art, sculpture and artifacts from around the world. Both the Cloisters and the Met are donation based, so you could donate $1 to get in making them both very affordable. If you do go to the Met, chart out what you want to see beforehand, there's simply too much to do in one day, so prioritizing is a must.

The View is a neat restaurant on the top of the Marriott Marquis Hotel in Time Square. _http://www.theviewnyc.com/ It's a revolving space that does a complete rotation once per hour. I'd suggest you have a cocktail, coffee or just a small dessert there as the prices are high. The good part is you don't pay any sort of admission.

I'd recommend you try BareBurger at least once, they are all over Manhattan now and their burgers are pretty good. All their meat is grass fed and veggies are all organic, they have GF bun options and really good french fries. A full meal, plus tax and tip will run you about $30 there.

Bryant Park is walking distance from Times Square and it's home to the main branch of the New York Public Library. The building is beautiful inside and out and the park has a few coffee shops around with seating which can be nice if it's a sunny day. Times Square is my least favorite spot in the city, but you may want to see it for yourself if you've never been to NYC before.
Bareburger sounds quite enticing - I will give it a try, for sure. The Library sounds interesting as well.
 

beetlemaniac

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
aleana said:
I was going to suggest the Botanical Gardens as well! Another of my favorites is the Cloisters - its a quiet place overlooking the Hudson River in the north part of Manhattan.

I also like to visit the Metropolitan Museum - avoid it on the weekends, though if you can! There are a number of quiet places within the museum where you can find respite, like the Chinese Garden Court.

Also found this: _http://www.citylab.com/design/2012/04/ten-places-find-peace-and-quiet-manhattan/1758/

If I think of any others, will let you know!
That was an interesting link - it seems that Dag Hammerskjold built a meditation room in the middle of the UN headquarters building. It's accessible after security. How interesting is that?
 

annp

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
Just remembered another place that might be interesting - the South Street Seaport

It's a fun place to walk around, there are a number of historic ships and a seaport museum to visit.

Another idea would be to take a Circle Line cruise around the city.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
 

beetlemaniac

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I wanted to update the thread with my experience in NY.

So it was quite an eventful trip. I managed to visit only a couple of things on the list.

I hugely enjoyed the Met. I had only managed to view the Greek and Roman exhibits, but the opportunity was quite valuable. It gave me a new-found respect and awe for the civilised beings of the past and it almost felt like being transported into those bygone ages. I took my time to study each gallery, which were divided into several eras. I figured that it would be more worth it to go through the galleries slowly rather than rush through it, and miss that feeling of connection to the whole historic and grand thing that was behind the exhibits. The exhibit about the intellectual developments in Greece reminded me of the Odyssey thread which was posted by Laura some time ago. I was also reading Meno during this trip, which made the exhibits on Socrates even more engaging.

I did the Liberty Island cruise with my parents. Liberty Island was nice, but I enjoyed Ellis Island more, because of the Museum of Immigration. It's interesting to know how the United States came to be the "melting pot of culture" that it is now, and, to me, the significance of the history has increased vis-a-vis the new Trump administration. The debate about multiculturalism is something which I am also very keen on understanding. I live in a multicultural country, where Malays, Chinese and Indians make up the bulk of the racial composition. I think there is a culture of tolerance and understanding here, but maybe to a fault. In the US, the general attitude is that of individualism, I think. People are more forward and direct. This provides an interesting background with which to understand being.

My aunt had bought us tickets to the Lion King musical in Broadway. This was quite a profound experience as I loved the Lion King movie and remember watching it several times as a kid. The performance was absolutely spectacular, especially the part of Scar, the evil uncle who took over the throne by murdering Simba's dad, Mufasa. The song the Circle of Life is playing in my head as I write this. It is a curious thing - music. Even more curious is the idea of the circle of life - the circle which I feel that I'm trapped in and unable to get out. However- the light seems to be with this group, and a deeper engagement and giving on my part seems in order.

I also did a bit of ice skating at Bryant Park which was wonderful. I've only done it once before in my life, and that was years ago. On the same day, I met a very interesting person with whom I had a deep conversation over dinner. One of the things we talked about was honoring yourself and not giving out your essence to people who don't deserve it. He was a gay person, which he had told me outright very early on. I thought it was interesting, because I hadn't met a gay person before, and it destroyed my stereotypical idea and fears associated with them. I found him very warm and engaging and barely felt weird vibes about him.

I also had some time together with my sister's in-laws which was interesting (they are Indians). They were very kind and generous, providing us a place to stay in NY and making us breakfast whenever they could. It was also a very interesting cultural experience, as my sister's sister-in-law had married an American. I just find it quite fascinating to see this first-hand. It feels a little wrong because it appears as though I'm treating them like specimens in a lab. :-[

I hope to visit NY again some day, at least to finish up the exhibits at the Met, of which there are numerous things which I'm still to discover. Thank you for the suggestions again.

Oh yes, we did try Bareburger - it was great - I hadn't had a real burger in ages! I think it was a bit pricey though.
 

truth seeker

The Living Force
bm said:
I wanted to update the thread with my experience in NY.

Thanks for the update, sounds like you had a nice time.

bm said:
My aunt had bought us tickets to the Lion King musical in Broadway. This was quite a profound experience as I loved the Lion King movie and remember watching it several times as a kid. The performance was absolutely spectacular, especially the part of Scar, the evil uncle who took over the throne by murdering Simba's dad, Mufasa. The song the Circle of Life is playing in my head as I write this. It is a curious thing - music. Even more curious is the idea of the circle of life - the circle which I feel that I'm trapped in and unable to get out. However- the light seems to be with this group, and a deeper engagement and giving on my part seems in order.

I haven't been to many NY Broadway musicals as an adult, but I did see Lion King awhile back. If it was the same one directed by Julie Taymor, then I have to agree that it is quite an amazing experience. The costume design is incredible. I loved the opening scene where the animals go into the audience (if you're on the lower level) and you're made to feel as if you're part of the Circle of Life celebration.

Edit: clarity
 

beetlemaniac

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
truth seeker said:
bm said:
My aunt had bought us tickets to the Lion King musical in Broadway. This was quite a profound experience as I loved the Lion King movie and remember watching it several times as a kid. The performance was absolutely spectacular, especially the part of Scar, the evil uncle who took over the throne by murdering Simba's dad, Mufasa. The song the Circle of Life is playing in my head as I write this. It is a curious thing - music. Even more curious is the idea of the circle of life - the circle which I feel that I'm trapped in and unable to get out. However- the light seems to be with this group, and a deeper engagement and giving on my part seems in order.

I haven't been to many NY Broadway musicals as an adult, but I did see Lion King awhile back. If it was the same one directed by Julie Taymor, then I have to agree that it is quite an amazing experience. The costume design is incredible. I loved the opening scene where the animals go into the audience (if you're on the lower level) and you're made to feel as if you're part of the Circle of Life celebration.

Edit: clarity
Yes, that's the one! It was played at the Minskoff Theatre. The costume design was amazing. I didn't notice the animals coming in on the left and right until my mom pointed them out to me. I was just expecting everything to happen on-stage.

I read a little bit from the book that related to the production of the Lion King musical and this part stuck out:

The Lion King: Pride Rock on Broadway said:
[...]
When we met, I could see Julie had a new vision for the project. She was excited by the music, by the setting, and by the opportunities for staging. She was chllenged by the task of re-creating something that theatergoers would know by heart, but she wanted them once again to feel in their heart. We urged her not to feel bridled by the look of the movie and to create something wholly original from it.

What you will read in this book is how she went about just that. The joy for me has been, and will always be, the process. The journey of The Lion King has gone further than any of us ever expected; where it will end only time and new audiences will tell. [...]
- Thomas Schumacher, September 1997

I really did feel it. I now remember how listening to the music actually brought me to tears :cry:
 

bronxvegan

A Disturbance in the Force
I have been living in New York for more than 15 years and can say that I am ready to move out. It is become more and more crowded by the day. I went to see a broadway show the other day and could barely walk on the streets without bumping someone. The older I am getting, the less appealing the city is becoming.
 
Top Bottom