Nutritious Movement - Katy Bowman

Starshine

Jedi Master
FOTCM Member
About – Nutritious Movement
About Nutritious Movement®
It’s clear that no one in our culture moves enough—there’s even a new category of movement alongside “active” and “sedentary” called “actively sedentary” to describe the movers among us, who move on average only 4 percent of the time and spend the rest of their time as sedentary as the couch potatoes.
Because of our time spent sitting, and because of other ways we’ve immobilized ourselves—casted our bodies—with shoes, constrictive clothing, and cultural expectations, our bodies have adapted by becoming stiff and unable to move all of our parts, all of the way. This has created areas in our bodies that are cellularly sedentary even when we are moving.
For instance, we’ve been wearing shoes practically since birth. Shoes with a cushioned sole, limited space for the toes to move, and a heel—even if it’s a short one. And so movements of your toe bones, ankle joints, arch-supporting muscles, and even of your foot-skin don’t happen in the same way had you not always worn shoes. This means that even when your “whole body” is walking, not all of it is actively walking or receiving the right amount of “squish” your cells need to thrive.

Why does this matter?
For the same reason it matters what you eat. When you eat food, the nutrients in that food communicate with your cells, and cause your cells to behave in a particular way. Movement is similar.
The bending and squishing of your cells that happens when you’re walking is an input—just like dietary nutrients. Cells respond directly to mechanical input through a process called mechanotransduction.
Your cells are just as affected by the movements you do and do not feed them as they are by the foods you do and do not feed them.
Your cells respond to nutritious movement the way they respond to a healthy diet.

nutritiousmovement_image_illustratedfood.png

We’re not just missing movement—we’re missing nutritious movement; movement that includes all of the right bends and squishes at the right amount for all your parts to work optimally.

Nutritious Movement helps you move better.
nutritiousmovement_image_about-class.jpg

We show you how to create a more balanced and healthy movement
diet by teaching you how to figure out which movements you’re missing, and which you’re currently overdosing on.
We also provide education on biomechanics, kinesiology, and physiology, as well as information on how to build a supportive movement community, and create a natural habitat that supports the best performance of your body parts—all trillion of them.

Explore our online communities:
twitter facebook instagram youtube
About Katy Bowman, M.S.
katy-bio-pic.jpg

Part biomechanist, part science communicator, and full-time mover, Katy Bowman has educated hundreds of thousands of people on the role movement plays in the body and in the world. Blending a scientific approach with straight talk about sensible, whole-life movement solutions, her website and award-winning podcast, Katy Says, reach hundreds of thousands of people every month, and thousands have taken her live classes.
Her books, the bestselling Move Your DNA, Movement Matters, and Dynamic Aging, Simple Steps to Foot Pain Relief, Diastasis Recti, Don’t Just Sit There, Whole Body Barefoot, Alignment Matters, and Every Woman’s Guide to Foot Pain Relief, have been critically acclaimed and translated worldwide.

Passionate about human movement outside of exercise, Katy volunteers her time to support the larger reintegration of movement into human lives by providing movement courses across widely varying demographics and working with non-profits promoting nature education. She also directs and teaches at the Nutritious Movement Center Northwest in Washington state, travels the globe to teach Nutritious Movement courses in person, and spends as much time outside as possible with her husband and children.
Check out a day in Katy’s movement-based lifestyle!
nutritiousmovement_image_about-walk.jpg

I stumbled upon her website thanks to Movnat, with which Nutritious Movement did a workshop to join their perspective.

I really like her perspective of a movement diet because putting it that way allows one to implement improvements in the daily routine, that is, where you move most, and how you move, most of that time. There are some examples of this on her website, also she gives a tour of her own house that gives you an idea of the implementations she did.

I've been Movnat Certified Trainer Level 2 but I do not use it as much as I could. I have a really active life at that point, but too often, I end up in wrong positions from automatism. It might be a better approach to fight those automatisms that can wreak havoc one's health. I also have to read the whole Body HIIT thread, at some point!

I thought it was worth sharing, her yt channel contains a lot of short videos and I would be interested in some of her books, like Move your DNA:
Description
Also available in ebook and audiobook.
Humorous, fascinating, and science‐based, Move Your DNA addresses the vast quantities of disease we are suffering from, identifying our lack of movement as the primary cause. All readers can use the corrective exercises and lifestyle changes Katy has created to help each of us recover our healthy, naturally moving bodies.
Move Your DNA explains the science behind our need for natural movement – right down to the cellular level. It examines the differences between the movements in a typical hunter-gatherer’s life and the movements in our own. It shows the many problems with using exercise like movement vitamins instead of addressing the deeper issue of a poor movement diet.
Best of all, Move Your DNA contains the corrective exercises, habit modifications, and simple lifestyle changes we need to make in order to free ourselves from disease and discover our naturally healthy, reflex-driven selves. From couch potatoes to professional athletes, new parents to seniors, readers will love Katy’s humorous, passionate, and above all science-based guide to restoring your body and reclaiming your life.
This expanded edition contains:
  • 70+ exercises
  • Alignment checks
  • 3-level movement program
  • Walking habit modifications and tips
  • Exercise glossary

Joe Rogan did a podcast with her a couple of years back. Interesting philosophy on movement and not too dissimilar to Movnat and Ido Portal where she's basically saying human beings, instead of working out or doing one very specific or rote combination of movements in order to be considered active, like weight lifting or cycling, our bodies were designed to perform a wide range of dynamic movements all the time and that we need to incorporate that into our everyday lives in order to reverse the mechanical stresses of modern environment. Even though some of her evidence was anecdotal, I still found a lot truth in what she was saying.

Back
Top Bottom