Ocular health

I ve got some old light gels( remember the coloured plastic they used for theater lights to create diffent colours on spotlights?) that ive put over my white led lamps -the difference is quite remarkable to my mind and eyes - even when covering only half of the white.

That's a clever way to remove the nasty effects of too much blue light from led lighting!

As for modern cars the led lights on them are really dangerous ! I donr like driving long distances at night and will avoid doing so for that reason !.

You are not alone. Recently I drove a couple of long distance trips during the dark hours, and although I looked "away" from the oncoming car lights, I had to sometimes block them with my other hand. Also, I had to flip down the rear-view mirror when there were tailgating cars behind me. It truly feels like the car lights "burn up" your retinas.

Increasing number of drivers seem to be finding that the modern car lights are too bright:

However, there seems to be a solution: one could use blue blocking computer glasses while driving.

There are a few options available: "normal" glasses and fitover/clip-ons, which can be placed on top your own (prescription) glasses. These (colourless) lenses filter 50% of the blue light, so they should be able to damper the worst intensity.

Btw, one should never use the orange/red blue blue blocking glasses while driving, as they filter out all of the blue light, "distorting" the scenery and making certain situations more difficult to notice. Also the total lack of blue light will cause tiredness; a no-no while driving during the later hours.
The yellow blue blocking glasses might work, as they take out most of blue light while leaving some, but the writer of this article thinks that the computer glasses are the safest bet.

Blue blocking computer glasses are sold quite widely, but all of them may not be up to standard. I believe at least these two sellers are amongst the more reputable ones: boncharge and blockbluelight (the latter has clip-ons, which I'm going to get to wear over my prescription glasses).

Red and infrared light could also help eye health. According to a study reported in Andrew Huberman's podcast red/infrared light help visual acuity after the age of 40 (and not before). The retina is part of the central nervous system and "the rods and cones of the neural retina are responsible for using the most amount of energy in your entire body"!! Also, since the production of ATP produces reactive oxygen species and drusen (a form of cholesterol, fatty deposits that accumulate in the eye as we age) the study has found that red/infrared light help reduce (and/or reverse in the case of drusen) ROS. Watch @1hour49min.

Red Light Man also dedicated this article to eye health:
The eyes of humans, and specifically the cells of the retina, have the highest metabolic requirements of any tissue in the entire body – they require a lot of energy. The only way to meet this high demand is for the cells to house many mitochondria – and so it is no surprise that cells in the eyes have the highest concentration of mitochondria anywhere in the body.

Seeing as light therapy works via interactions with the mitochondria, and the eyes have the richest source of mitochondria in the body, it is a reasonable assumption to hypothesise that the light will also have the most profound effects in the eyes compared to the rest of the body. On top of that, recent research has shown that degeneration of the eye and retina is directly linked to mitochondrial dysfunction. So a therapy that can potentially restore the mitochondria, of which there are many, in the eye is the perfect approach. [...]

Eye conditions helped​

General vision – visual acuity, Cataracts, Diabetic Retinopathy, Macular Degeneration – aka AMD or age-related macular degeration, Refractive Errors, Glaucoma, Dry Eye, floaters.

Practical applications​

Using light therapy on the eyes before sun exposure (or exposure to bright white light). Daily/weekly use to prevent eye degeneration.
Blue blocking computer glasses are sold quite widely, but all of them may not be up to standard. I believe at least these two sellers are amongst the more reputable ones: boncharge and blockbluelight (the latter has clip-ons, which I'm going to get to wear over my prescription glasses).
I started also wearing these clip-ons during the day and when I'm in bed reading instead of using these orange glasses I use a small red light reading lamp. I really like it!

Back
Top Bottom