Ocular health

Sole nerve-ending stimulation apparently improves vision

I transplanted the healthiest ~square-feet grass patch [I could find in the wild] into our otherwise bare garden to stand on, so I can do grounding. Inept bottoming resulted in the earth at the center of the grass patch sunken in, making standing on it uncomfortable with my heels an inch lower [on the "caved-in soil"] and toes higher at the edge of the patch: straining my knee joint.

So while the garden soil was semi-soft from recent rains, I began stomping on the edge of the grass patch with my bare heels in order to level the whole area and bring it to a somewhat flat state.

I always do the "give my youthful 20/20 vision back"-exercise while grounding, consisting of covering one eye, focusing on thumb for 30 counts, then looking at the tree in neighbors yard for 30, then repeat with each eye 5 times.

After my heels began to ache and got sensitive from stomping, I looked at my thumb and realized with surprise that I can see the small skin wrinkles there much better suddenly! I always aim at the tiny wrinkles, regulating thumb distance from my eye where the wrinkles are clear.

:wow:

Now I definitely plan to do a thorough strong rolfing at an experienced massage therapist to re-set my 'lamed' facial muscles [from life situation] and re-born a new man!

Some good news:

China Develops New Graphene e-Paper

There are precious few companies actively developing e-paper solutions because the e-Reader industry has been in a holding pattern for the last three years. Guangzhou OED Technologies has developed the world’s first graphene electronic paper and they said it will enter production later this year.

Graphene is the world’s strongest and lightest known material; a single layer of graphene is only 0.335 nanometers thick, and it can conduct heat and electricity.

The material can be used to create hard or flexible graphene displays, used in electronic products such as e-readers and wearable smart devices.

I think Chinese companies will be lining up to use this technology in future products since graphene-based e-papers can be easily produced and very cost-effective. Traditional e-papers use indium metal for their display, which is very expensive and rare to source. It is important to note that this is not the first time someone developed an e-paper solution for graphene, in 2014 Cambridge researches demoed a working prototype, but nothing ever came of it.

http://goodereader.com/blog/e-paper/china-develops-new-graphene-e-paper

China Develops World’s First Electronic Paper Based on Graphene

China has made a breakthrough in the electronic paper segment. According to Xinhua, Guangzhou OED Technologies has developed a new technology described as "the world's first graphene electronic paper". OED Technologies collaborated with a Chongqing-based company to create the electronic paper.

In comparison to regular e-papers available currently, graphene e-paper is more capable of high-light transmission. This can result in better quality optical displays. This paper is also more flexible and shows more intensity.

Graphene has many characteristics which make it a suitable material for e-paper. It is strong yet is extremely lightweight. The material is also known to be a good conductor of electricity and heat.

E-paper is used in many modern electronic gadgets including smart devices and e-readers. It is more economical and efficient than liquid crystal displays. E-papers are generally more energy efficient, pliable and thinner.

Graphene based e-paper is likely to be more economical than traditional e-papers, which are made using a more expensive metal, indium. Graphene, on the other hand, is made from carbon, which is readily available and cheap.

The new graphene-based paper is expected to disrupt the sector as its cost efficiency, and higher utility factor will make it more amenable to be used in various devices. This may also help in rationalizing the manufacturing costs of new age screen-based gadgets.

Guangzhou OED Technologies is expected to start production of graphene e-paper within a year.

http://www.chinatopix.com/articles/84910/20160429/china-develops-world-s-first-electronic-paper-based-graphene.htm

Dell is finally making flicker-free monitors! Search for models that have "17" in their name (for example: P2417H) and in their description you shall find something like this:

Work comfortably with less stress: Dell's ComfortView feature helps to reduce harmful blue light emission onscreen and with direct current, a flicker-free viewing experience is enabled.

I just want to chime in to say thank you, Persej, for following the topic so consistently. Much appreciated. :thup:
Came back here after a long time and the previous threads have merged which made it a bit hard to find.

Also want to mention there is this new article/interview from dr.Mercola's website which deals with
health effects of using LED lighting. Well worth reading.

https://www.sott.net/article/331899-Blue-hazard-LED-lighting-may-compromise-your-vision-and-health

Thank you anka. :)

I try to keep up to date with this, to me, very interesting topic, but there haven't been much news lately. Everything kinda slowed down.

Yes, that is a good article. There is so much about light that we still don't know, and many health problems that we still haven't solved.

Here are some predictions of what we could expect in the next year:

What is Next for the e-Reader Industry in 2017?

Over the course of 2016 there has not been any major shifts in technology to take e-readers to a new level, but there have been a few notable changes. Kobo and Tolino have incorporated yellow LED lights to inhibit the amount of blue light that emits from the front-lit display. Amazon released the Kindle Oasis which is the thinnest e-reader in the world and comes with a case with a battery built into it. Bookeen also released a solar paneled case, so you literally never have to charge it via a USB cable. What is next for the e-reader industry in 2016?

One of the biggest changes to the e-reader industry will likely come in 2017 and this is a new processor called IMX.7. This dual core processor has been optimized for E-Ink and the E-Ink Regal Waveform Controller. It was initially supposed to hit mass production in the first quarter of 2016 but there have been many delays. First of all Freescale was sold to NXP and then NXP was sold to Qualcomm. Freescale told me that the processors have hit massive production in late 2016 but it is very likely we won’t see it in an e-reader until late 2017. This is because companies need to totally revise their operating system so the software can take advantage of the new hardware.

From what I understand IMX.7 will allow companies to do some fairly exciting stuff. You will be able to play animations and video because the e-ink refresh rates have been dialed up. So for example, a future Kindle device may have animated page turns or it might allow you to download an e-book sample directly from a carousel image. Android enabled e-readers will also be more relevant because you will be able to render everything faster and with less ghosting.

In early 2016 at SID Display Week E-Ink unveiled color e-paper. It can produce full color at every pixel without the use of a color filter array. It can display over 32,000 different colors and has a resolution of 1600 x 2500 pixels and 150 PPI.

The new e-paper achieves a full color gamut, including all eight primary colors, using only colored pigments. The display utilizes a single layer of electrophoretic fluid, which is controlled using voltages compatible with commercial TFT backplanes. The fluid can be incorporated into either microcapsule or Microcup structures. The richness of the colors is achieved by having all the colored pigments in every picture element (pixel) rather than the side-by-side pixel colors achieved with a CFA. This eliminates the light attenuation, which can be quite significant.

When E-Ink developed this technology it was designed with digital signage in mind and the refresh rate was really poor. This was because it wasn’t built with e-readers in mind and did not have any support for EPD and waveform controllers. E-Ink has told me that in late 2017 and 2018 they will have added e-reader support and we will finally have color e-readers.

E-Ink is not the only company that has developed color e-paper. Researchers at Chalmers University of Technology have developed new electronic paper that contains gold, silver and PET plastic. The layer that produces the colors is less than a micrometer thin and their prototype currently displays red, green and blue (RGB) colors that together can create all the colors in standard LED displays.

Will 2017 be the year Amazon finally issues a Kindle e-reader or Fire Tablet that has incorporates Liquavista? They have been slowly building a management team in Eindhoven and a production team in Beijing Century Joyo Information Technology Co., Ltd Shenzhen Branch. I have heard that all of the senior level positions have been filled, so all of the pieces are in place to design and prototype.

Wrap Up

If you were to ask me what is next for the e-reader industry in 2017 I would likely say more of the same. More companies will issue waterproof e-readers and others will use the same lighting system that Kobo and Tolino developed. I have serious reservations that we will see the color e-paper that E-Ink has developed until 2018. Do not discount Amazon, I think they might release a colored Kindle next year. Also, look for more e-readers to have bigger screens. This year Good e-Reader, Onyx, Kobo and other companies bucked the six inch trend.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/what-is-next-for-the-e-reader-industry-in-2017

Some more good news:

Here’s what Samsung privately showcased during MWC 2017

“Samsung exhibited new technologies, including force touch, OLED without polarizer, VR headsets with high resolution and blue-less OLED. They are expected to be launched within one to two years,” said an anonymous attendee in a statement to The Korea Herald.

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/03/21/heres-what-samsung-reportedly-showcased-at-its-private-room-during-mwc-2017/

If you search for blue-less OLED you can find this news from 2015:

Mitsubishi and Pioneer launched bluelight-less OLED lighting panels

Mitsubishi Chemical and Pioneer announced that they developed a bluelight-less OLED lighting panel. The OLE-P0909-C3S module which contains this panel is actually already shipping, and it is produced using the wet-coating process developed by the two Japanese companies.

The new panel emits a minimal portion of blue light - less than 1% of the amount emitted by Mitsubishi and Pioneer's regular 3000K OLED panel. The panel is a candle-color type - with a 1900K color temperature. The module size is 92.4x92.4 mm (active area 76x76 mm) and is 4.3 mm thick. The maximum luminance is 3,000 cd/m2.

http://www.oled-info.com/mitsubishi-and-pioneer-launched-bluelight-less-oled-lighting-panels

But the ordinary OLEDs already emit much less blue light than LCDs:

OLEDs emit less than a third of blue light than LCDs

A senior VP at LGD recently declared in the IMID Display Business Forum in Korea that according to measurements done by the company, LCD screens emit 3.1 times more blue light than OLED screens. The measurements were done 120 cm away from TVs, 60 mm from monitors and 30 cm from smartphones (TVs are larger and emit more blue light than other types of screens).

http://www.oled-info.com/oleds-emit-less-third-blue-light-lcds

Unfortunately, OLEDs are still very expensive, but they will replace the LCDs in a couple of years.

For those who want to buy flicker-free TV, this website can be useful: http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/motion/image-flicker

Unfortunately, TV producers still don't advertise this feature, so you can never be sure about that.

Good news for Kindle lovers, Amazon finally made a bigger Kindle. The new Kindle Oasis has jumped up in size, moving from a 6-inch screen to a 7-inch screen: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD5YCKX/ref=fs_ods_fs_eink_cc

And the price has moved down, from $290 to $250. It is also waterproof and has more memory.

Hopefully, we will hot have to wait another 10 years for 8-inch Kindle. :rolleyes:

Just to let you know that Dell now finally offers flicker-free monitors for masses. They have "18" in their name, so these are all new models.

Unfortunately, most laptops still have flicker.

If this article is misplaced, please feel free to move it.

A few years back, I had gone through a therapy, much like what is described in this treatment, for stress due to deep trauma. It involved a mild form of
rapid eye movement, while placing yourself in a less stressful environment, like taking a nature walk in a park or forest area. Once you scanned the immediate area and begin to take in the surroundings, as you walk, you try to mentally bring to the surface, a thought or event that causes internal stress.

While you're focused and concentrating on remembering details, through practice, you'll notice your eyes fluctuate more with blinking, especially when the "deep hurt" begins to surface. Our natural response is to close our eyes and mentally buried it again but if you can manage to physically let the hurt "out into the open", rapid eye movement is induced naturally, to help neutralize and flush out the pain. The skin on your face and neck might feel hot or flushed for a brief moment, accompanied by physical exhaustion, but the eye movement decreases and stabilizes back to normal again.

I think, the nature walk was to help develop a mental platform, so you could reach deep within and bring stress to the surface and deal with it? I no longer have to set aside time to visit a park, I can sit in a comfortable chair at home and go through the same process, to achieve results.

How this relates to Ocular health, I noticed my vision became clearer instead of cloudy during stressful times.

Over the years, there’s been no shortage of interesting alternatives to typical talk-based psychotherapy. Laughter therapy, sound therapy, horticultural therapy and even wilderness therapy have become popular ways to deal with psychological distress, helping with everything from general anxiety and depression to post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). These aren’t the only fascinating alternatives, though.

Your eyes may be key to healing your mind December 31, 2017 (Videos)
Psychologists use eye movement to treat stress and other disorders.
https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/your-eyes-may-be-key-heal-your-mind

Another form of therapy is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), which can be an effective method for treating PTSD.

EMDR helps victims of trauma re-process and learn to cope with difficult events by rapidly moving their eyes back and forth, following the movement of a therapist’s finger while concentrating on a distressing memory.

The origins of EMDR

EMDR began practically by accident in 1987, when California psychologist Francine Shapiro was taking a walk in the woods, reports Scientific American.

During her stroll, Shapiro said she was anxious. She soon realized, though, that her anxiety had subsided once she began moving her eyes back and forth while at the same time closely observing and concentrating on her surroundings. Once she discovered that the rapid movement of her eyes brought her to a more relaxed state, she decided to see if rapid eye movement might reduce stress and anxiety in her clients. After finding that the procedure was able to help ease distress in her clients, Shapiro published a study in 1989 on her research, dubbing the practice EMDR.

Since then, EMDR has been used as a treatment for PTSD and various other conditions such as depression, schizophrenia, sexual dysfunction, stress and other anxiety disorders.

What does EMDR do and how does it work?

How EMDR works? Look at this animation (English)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKrfH43srg8 (2:09 min.)

EMDR trainer Roger Solomon is a clinical psychologist whose specialty is trauma and grief. He is the police psychologist for the South Carolina Department of Public Safety and a consultant to the trauma programs of the U.S. Senate and several state and federal law enforcement agencies.

"EMDR therapy is guided by the Adaptive Information Processing model,” says Solomon. "This model posits that present problems are the result of past distressing memories that have become 'frozen' or stuck in the brain (including the images, thoughts and beliefs, feelings and sensations), thus becoming maladaptively stored in the brain. When there is a reminder (either external or internal), this maladaptively stored information gets triggered and is experienced in the present.”

Based on that premise, EMDR seeks to help people effectively adapt to their lives once trauma has occurred. EMDR gives those who suffer from trauma the possibility of reprocessing traumatic memories, so that the memories are able to become "unstuck” and processed in a way that the traumatized person is able to understand.

EMDR allows for what Solomon sees as the "the transmutation of the perpetual re-experiencing of distressing events with a learning experience that becomes a source of resilience.”

All this takes place by using a simple technique such as moving one’s eyes back and forth, which "stimulates the information processing mechanisms of the brain,” says Solomon. Once the information processing mechanism of the brain is stimulated by following the movements of the therapist’s fingers with the eyes, the traumatized person is able to reprocess the memories that cause distress; it gives them the ability to effectively adapt, learn and understand that he or she has successfully made it through the trauma.

An example

Healing Trauma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QJbCtr8bvA (3:20 min.)

To illustrate, Solomon uses the experience of a war veteran. "A war veteran experiencing a near-death experience in battle may have concluded 'I am going to die,' which becomes maladaptively stored in the brain, unable to process," Solomon says. "When there is a present trigger, the distressing memory including the images, thoughts and beliefs and sensations associated with the event arise and are experienced as nightmares, flashbacks, and other symptoms of PTSD.”

Once the veteran is able to properly reprocess the information after undergoing EMDR, "the veteran can think of the battle event and know, at a felt body level, that 'I survived, it's over,'” says Solomon.

Theories behind the inner workings of reprocessing

Psychologists have come up with a number of theories as to how memory reprocessing during EMDR works — and more research is needed to determine the exact process — but here are a few that might explain exactly what’s happening in the brain during EMDR.

The working memory theory: Working memory is our short-term memory. It’s the part of our memory that allows us to store information that we need to reason, learn and comprehend.

"Studies looking at the specific effects of eye movements used in EMDR therapy show a significant reduction of memory vividness and associated emotion” says Solomon. "The working memory theory posits that the working memory system has a very limited capacity. When it is taxed by the competing tasks of holding a memory in mind while moving the eyes, there is a degradation of performance. This results in the distressing memory losing its quality and power.”

It’s almost as if the memory is unable to "keep up” with the reprocessing that occurs while the traumatized person’s eyes are moving back and forth — thus making the memory lose its grip over the person.

REM sleep theory: Rapid Eye Movement sleep (REM) is the stage of sleep in which we dream, and process and store memories.

Solomon explains that it’s "been hypothesized that eye movements stimulate the same neurological processes that take place during REM/dream sleep, which is important in processing and consolidating information.”

It’s possible the EMDR helps a person process a traumatic memory, in much the same way dreaming allows us to process the events of our daily lives while we sleep.

Memory reconsolidation theory: Memory reconsolidation is a process used by therapists to reorder and recode memories once a traumatic memory has been unlocked or accessed.

How Can Memory Reconsolidation Work in Therapy?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPCzAf9TIFk (4:00 min.)

"Accessing a memory, and updating it with new contradictory information, enables the potential for the original memory to be transformed and reconsolidated, i.e., stored in altered form," Solomon explains. "This differs from other trauma-focused therapies (e.g. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) where the underlying mechanism is hypothesized to be habituation and extinction, which are thought to create a new memory, while leaving the original one intact.”

In this instance, the traumatic memory changes and transforms; it doesn’t disappear completely. Here, there aren’t two separate memories — one being the traumatic memory and the other being a memory which is of a peaceful nature. You have one memory which has transformed from trauma into a state of acceptance. This might explain the transmutation aspect of EMDR.

Parasympathetic nervous system theory: The parasympathetic nervous system is the part of our nervous system that helps us calm down and relax. It slows the heart, dilates blood vessels, relaxes the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract, increases digestive juices and decreases pupil size.

As far the relation between the parasympathetic nervous system and EMDR, Solomon says it’s possible that the "eye movements elicit an orienting response which activates the parasympathetic nervous system and lowers arousal.” Simply put, rapid eye movement and EMDR seem to be relaxing. "This theory has support from research showing that eye movement lowers arousal for distressing memories,” says Solomon.

What makes EMDR different
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDivEv1U3Pg (3:14 min.)

EMDR is based more on how a person reprocesses memories, rather than the strict plan of a therapist.

"The therapist facilitates movement with attuned bilateral stimulation and 'stays out of the way' as the distressing memory is shifting in an adaptive direction," says Solomon. "Clients are able to find their own individualized and creative solutions and perspectives, in ways the clinician may never have thought of.”

A person undergoing EMDR doesn’t have to make themselves as vulnerable as they might during other forms of therapy. Sometimes not showing complete vulnerability makes things less taxing when undergoing treatment.

"The client does not have to describe the memory in detail. Not having to disclose shameful or humiliating moments may make it easier for some clients to engage in the therapeutic process," Solomon explains.

The fact that EMDR is not a talk-based therapy is unique in that that, "EMDR goes to places where words don’t go and enables the processing of implicit, painful memories and their associated emotions and body sensations that talking alone does not seem to reach,” says Solomon.

EMDR success

When asked about a particular case in which EMDR helped a client overcome trauma, Solomon reflected on his experience with a police officer involved in the tragedy of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting:

"A police officer who was one of the first on-scene was very distressed by the images of children killed. For the next two years, he had nightmares and flashbacks, and found it difficult to be around children. He started the EMDR processing with an initial image of a dead child and an associated belief of 'I’m helpless.' With processing he realized he did the best he could at the situation. Next he remembered that many police officers from many different agencies started arriving. He realized that these policemen were off duty and coming on their own time to help out. When asked his thoughts/feelings about the incident, he said "UNITY,” and no longer felt distress. This session humbles me as to how the mind can find an adaptive way to deal with a horrible tragedy and I am grateful for EMDR therapy’s ability to help people."

Angelburst, EMDR therapy sounds a lot like EFT. Using focus and attention to break the connections of traumatic memories to emotions. The C's have said that that is counter to our purposes here.

From 5 Aug 2009

Q: (laughter) (L) Are the EFT techniques a valid method?

A: EFT is merely a keep busy activity designed to hold focus. It is the attention that "works". It would be counter to the purposes of the program you have presented.

Q: (L) Alright. The next one is a long series of questions, so I think we're going to save that for the next session since it's pretty late and I'm tired. I just wanted to do our obligatory session before we went too long. So, if anybody has a quickie, speak up now or hold your peace a week. … Alright, so then good night.

A: Good bye.

H2O said:
Angelburst, EMDR therapy sounds a lot like EFT. Using focus and attention to break the connections of traumatic memories to emotions. The C's have said that that is counter to our purposes here.

The instruction and therapy I received didn't really have a medical term attached to it, like EFT or EMDR but was a process at attempting to identify a deep stress related issue, finding a mental platform where the memory could safely be brought to the surface, reviewing it in detail and neutralizing the trauma associated with it.

Many issues were childhood related and once brought to the surface, now viewing the circumstances as an adult, I was able to process the details on a different level and remove the fear, etc. associated with it. In time, I dug into deeper issues and the process has really helped. One of the things I had noticed was rapid eye movement, when really under stress or processing a situation or when depression set in. Once I was able to get a handle on things, there was less eye movement.

When I worked as a volunteer at a VA Hospital, there were three Specialist on staff that worked with patients with PTSD and other related issues. Some patients were in-house but the majority were out patients. I worked in the out patient clinic and there was double armed security on each floor in the building. I spent over two years there and during that time, noticed the improvement in temperament and personality of many of the out patients that made monthly visits.

One of the rules volunteers had to abide by, we were there to do paper work, perform housekeeping duties and stock supplies. We were not to interfere, in any way, with patients or Medical Staff. While filing paper work, I came across an instruction sheet that gave details on how to handle stress and short memory flashbacks that was handed out to some of the patients and I took a personal interest in it. A short time later, I found out that one of the Specialist only worked part time at the VA because he had a private practice. After checking the phone book, I made an appointment and spent three months in therapy. This was before I came across Laura's work.

I'm not advocating EMDR as a cure or protocol but the article goes into different therapy's and treatments. The process I first learned was only a start. It's through this forum, the many entries Posted by Members and Laura's work and guidance that has complimented a journey I'm still traveling ... and it's a long road with no end in sight.

angelburst29 said:
H2O said:

The instruction and therapy I received didn't really have a medical term attached to it, like EFT or EMDR but was a process at attempting to identify a deep stress related issue, finding a mental platform where the memory could safely be brought to the surface, reviewing it in detail and neutralizing the trauma associated with it.

Many issues were childhood related and once brought to the surface, now viewing the circumstances as an adult, I was able to process the details on a different level and remove the fear, etc. associated with it. In time, I dug into deeper issues and the process has really helped. One of the things I had noticed was rapid eye movement, when really under stress or processing a situation or when depression set in. Once I was able to get a handle on things, there was less eye movement.

When I worked as a volunteer at a VA Hospital, there were three Specialist on staff that worked with patients with PTSD and other related issues. Some patients were in-house but the majority were out patients. I worked in the out patient clinic and there was double armed security on each floor in the building. I spent over two years there and during that time, noticed the improvement in temperament and personality of many of the out patients that made monthly visits.

One of the rules volunteers had to abide by, we were there to do paper work, perform housekeeping duties and stock supplies. We were not to interfere, in any way, with patients or Medical Staff. While filing paper work, I came across an instruction sheet that gave details on how to handle stress and short memory flashbacks that was handed out to some of the patients and I took a personal interest in it. A short time later, I found out that one of the Specialist only worked part time at the VA because he had a private practice. After checking the phone book, I made an appointment and spent three months in therapy. This was before I came across Laura's work.

I'm not advocating EMDR as a cure or protocol but the article goes into different therapy's and treatments. The process I first learned was only a start. It's through this forum, the many entries Posted by Members and Laura's work and guidance that has complimented a journey I'm still traveling ... and it's a long road with no end in sight.

No worries Angelburst. I am sure that some of these therapies do work, but maybe what the C's were suggesting was they only work on a superficial level, or that maybe they interfere with karmic lessons. I am really not too sure. Ra says something like you must identify these things, then accept them, and then you can move on from them. I guess it is like an old pipe that springs a leak. If you just plug it, the leak will just manifest at some other part of the pipe. Fix the pipe, and you won't have to deal with it later on down the road. At least that is how I read it.

A good demonstration of why you should choose Philips when you go shopping for LED bulbs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCESzoHSpuc

I had a deterioration of vision when I was diagnosed with Horton's Disease a few years ago. Two years of prednisone and dietary adjustments cleared the initial problem, but new prescription glasses were needed.

Since beginning the use of the infrabed, at least once weekly, I have noticed an improvement in my vision. While vision problems can stem from a variety of sources, if you are beginning to notice a problem you might want to try a few weeks of regular near infrared exposure to the eyes to see if it can correct/improve the problem.

Back
Top Bottom