Open Letter to Bush/Chenney from Dying Veteran

Tomas Young, Dying Iraq War Veteran, Pens 'Last Letter' To Bush, Cheney On War's 10th Anniversary

"I write this letter, my last letter, to you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney. I write not because I think you grasp the terrible human and moral consequences of your lies, manipulation and thirst for wealth and power. I write this letter because, before my own death, I want to make it clear that I, and hundreds of thousands of my fellow veterans, along with millions of my fellow citizens, along with hundreds of millions more in Iraq and the Middle East, know fully who you are and what you have done. You may evade justice but in our eyes you are each guilty of egregious war crimes, of plunder and, finally, of murder, including the murder of thousands of young Americans—my fellow veterans—whose future you stole."

Young goes on to attack the "cowardice" of Bush and Cheney for avoiding military service themselves, and to encourage them to "stand before the American public and the world, and in particular the Iraqi people, and beg for forgiveness."

"Your positions of authority, your millions of dollars of personal wealth, your public relations consultants, your privilege and your power cannot mask the hollowness of your character. You sent us to fight and die in Iraq after you, Mr. Cheney, dodged the draft in Vietnam, and you, Mr. Bush, went AWOL from your National Guard unit. Your cowardice and selfishness were established decades ago. You were not willing to risk yourselves for our nation but you sent hundreds of thousands of young men and women to be sacrificed in a senseless war with no more thought than it takes to put out the garbage."

Young was the subject of the 2007 documentary "Body of War," which was about his recovery process and the Iraq War. At a February screening of the film, Young told the audience that he planned to end his life in April.
According to the Ridgefield Press, Young announced that he would stop taking all nourishment and life-extending medications at that time. He's since said that the deterioration to his body from the injury and ensuing complications would make it physically impossible for him to commit suicide in any other way.

"It's time," he told the audience over Skype, while seated beside his wife. "When I go I want be alert and aware."

“I made the decision to go on hospice care, to stop feeding and fade away," he said. "This way, instead of committing the conventional suicide and I am out of the picture, people have a way to stop by or call and say their goodbyes. I felt this was a fairer way to treat people than to just go out with a note."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/19/tomas-young-letter-iraq_n_2908335.html

I hope this is the correct forum section for this.

The letter to Bu$h & Chen/y will have no effect on them at all. They may even laugh and have a toast when the soldier is dead. Such is the psychopath.

Lilou said:
The letter to Bu$h & Chen/y will have no effect on them at all. They may even laugh and have a toast when the soldier is dead. Such is the psychopath.

I agree with you on that. But, hopefully, it may help others to see more clearly. Too bad he didn't include Obama in this letter.

Nienna said:
Lilou said:

I agree with you on that. But, hopefully, it may help others to see more clearly. Too bad he didn't include Obama in this letter.

I agree with both of you, of course. It just struck me as written in a way that may reach someone who was still flag waving.

Nienna said:
Lilou said:

Agreed.

The words "moral" and "guilty" aren't part of their vocabulary. They are totally abstract concepts for them so to speak. They know that it means something for real human beings but can only mimic (sometimes very badly like in the case of those two legendary nuts) the emotions and empathy that it relies on.

It would probably be easier to teach general relativity to a chair rather than trying to "reason" these monsters.

Back
Top Bottom