Opinions

turtlemayhem said:
quote - This is an interesting observation that catches my eye. How often do very
narcissistic people assert "well, that's YOUR opinion, and this is MY
opinion, and everybody is entitled to their own opinion."

What the heck IS an opinion, anyway? -quote-

Is that your opinion then? idiot?

You obviously have very low reading comprehension as the remark was qualified as an observation. And, as a person with severe limitations in comprehending the writing/speech of others, as well as making remarks that would embarrass a more intelligent person, I guess that qualifies you as an Idiot.

Idiot–noun
1. an utterly foolish or senseless person.
2. Psychology. a person of the lowest order in a former classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

ark said:
When you write "IMHO - that indicates that you do not have enough data to form a working hypothesis. If so, what is the point of having HO at all?

It is much better to avoid O at all, whether H or not. It helps us to avoid running a program. It helps us to become a more conscious human being.

Thank you for these particular words. You have helped me to understand why I do not post very often.I prefer to keep subjective opinions to myself lately.
Searching for 'data' helps me to keep my 'noisy' thoughts at bay.
I choose not to comment on many issues/topics but I still read them for the purpose of crossreferencing and comparing the facts (if any) behind the stated 'opinions'.

Hi T.C.,

1) the truth sets us free, so i seek the truth no matter how inconvenient the answer

Okay, with that in mind, what is your aim with regards to sharing your opinions?

2) in the end nothing really matters since we r altogether god

Okay, with that in mind, what is your aim with regards to sharing your opinions?

1. My aim is to open discussion on various topics, to gauge what others think, to have my opinions/theories critiqued, to learn, etc etc.

2. I had no ulteria motive, other than #1.
In some ways though it may help take some stress out of life for some people if 1) they dont think they r tiny insignificant creatures at the beck n call of god/church/state. 2) they shouldnt have a guilty conscience for what others have done in the past (ie, the original sin) & any other implication that comes with the possibility that everyone is the son/daughter of god so to speak (IMO).

:D

Well, in my opinion..................... Oh yeah, I forgot, I try not to have opinions until I have some facts to go on.

It might be interesting to collect examples of opinions that are often accepted as "facts" and then turn out to be completely false and damaging.

Laura said:
It might be interesting to collect examples of opinions that are often accepted as "facts" and then turn out to be completely false and damaging.

- All people are good deep down inside, they just sometimes do bad things. If you just love them enough, they will get better. ( or another variation of this would be stand by your man/partner )

-Flouride is good for you

-You should go along to get along

Laura said:

A common opinion: A global or large scale conspiracy would be unworkable, because it would be impossible to keep it a secret.

which is famously ripped apart by Goebbels (paraphrasing): The bigger the lie, the more it will be believed.

From my observations and contact with other people,a few themes and sentences that are oft spoken:

If something feels good than it must be good or must have a good sense

Oh maybe we live in a sinister time,but it is useless you change something,better you enjoy
your life as much as you can and look not so much an all this negative events

In the middle lies the truth

When it feels very good and gives you pleasure and a overwhelming feeling of goodness than
it must be love

Love is the answer to all problems

If there is really a gigantic conspiracy going on here i would know it / see it / read it

What interests me place x or y,what interest me the problems of others,i have my own
problems and no interest to look at the problems of others,everbody is even responsible for
itself

One that bugs me is the notion of equality:

"All men (and sometimes women are included in this too) are created equal."

Well, no, people are not "created" equal... Yet this opinion persists in many modern ideologies causing much pain for others. In fact this is a pretty dangerous belief/opinion to have in a world dominated by pathologicals. Assuming everybody is of equal psychological makeup can really destroy one's sense of judgement when dealing with a psychopath.

This notion even seeps into the world of the spirit where everybody is believed to have a soul.

RyanX said:

This notion even seeps into the world of the spirit where everybody is believed to have a soul.

Bingo! Ryan X. After learning about psychopaths, I frequently told people around me, the biggest lies we're taught to believe is "everyone is created equal, and anybody can become president". Sadly, it's just not true and it causes untold harm.

"There's always light at the end of the tunnel."
Seems a little non-specific; when some tunnels leave the light and curl out of sight, it seems wise to know which end is which.

"It's always darkest just before the lights come on."
My dear old grandmother, who lived through the Great Depression and several wars, used to say "sometimes it's darkest just before the lights go out completely."

How about the New Age mantra - “If I make a decision that is the best for my “higher good”, it will also be best for all concerned”

Well not exactly - who decides what is my “higher good”??? And isn’t this how we got into this mess we’re in??? I am not sure where I first ran across this - but it is "advice" I have heard too often over the past 10 years or so..Ugh!!!

How about the old "If you haven't got anything good to say about someone, don't say anything."

This is a great one for helping psychopaths conceal their activitities, and in general preventing people from gaining useful knowledge that could protect them.

RyanX said:

Well, no, people are not "created" equal... Yet this opinion persists in many modern ideologies causing much pain for others. In fact this is a pretty dangerous belief/opinion to have in a world dominated by pathologicals. Assuming everybody is of equal psychological makeup can really destroy one's sense of judgement when dealing with a psychopath.

Same here. That's not a trivial one to look at, OSIT.

Linguistically, I see it as a referentless nominalization; logically, as a non-sequitur; politically, as the underpinnings of the 'level playing field' concept that justifies robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The reason I see such an equivalence of expressions in the various contexts is because the error is fundamental. It operates in the realms of the lower unconscious (limbic system) where a=b=c=d=e and everything is the same as everything else because everything that is "down there" is held together by gravity, or emotional glue and can't be distinguished with any discernment with it's own perceptual bias.

As I see it, part of the Work involves our coming to recognize the manifestations of the lower subconscious, or limbic-level thought process that misunderstands "unity" as "sameness". The level of moronic simple associations that give us premium calculations like: two people whispering in our presence means that we are being conspired against, or that the solution to being broke is to print up more money.

It's the moron (predator's mind) that believes in "equality" and "The Secret"; the rest of us have to Work.

At least this is my current understanding, subject to peer review. :)

Opinions that annoy me most are those that purport to be fact. I can appreciate listening to or reading an opinion more when I am told, up front, that it is an opinion such as when newspapers set aside sections clearly labeled as Opinions and Commentary.

Newscasters and reporters sometimes mix opinions and facts in an attempt to sway public opinion. Others use their opinions to manipulate or persuade the public to support certain claims, policies or agendas. Then, it’s up to the audience to sieve through the lies to find the truth.

What about medical opinions? I understand that medicine is a science and that it’s not exact or perfect. But don’t you know folks that never got a second opinion and lived with the consequences?

As for advertisers and infomercials, well, you know…

Advertiser says: “Milk – it does a body good”
In my opinion: You’d better think before you drink.

Back
Top Bottom