Pandas are so cute!

E said:
I think he meant this more in terms of human to human. I think! That’s why I said the world is off. We can’t stand idly by when all these animals are slaughtered like this. That’s just heartless, and an even bigger crime. I always think of that girl a while ago who caused such a scene during the annual Japanese dolphin culling. It was just awful to watch, they completely ignored her while she was cryyying and trying to intervene...

The cruelty we’re trying to prevent is that of humans towards animals. It’s not the cruelty of nature (animal against animal) that requires human intervention. That is nature.

The goal of these people is to prevent human cruelty towards animals.. okay.. that is their goal of today or of this hour. The next hour they might have changed their minds, or they do something that contradicts their beliefs or goals. They are merely machines who ''merely'' want to help animals.
In this world, in this society, I guess that's the way it is. but I don't think people can prevent it the way they would want it.

In every structure there is imbalance, I think. If I imagine a structure like those of animal rescue teams, I also see imbalance. There might be too many things going on in the team and energy being wasted within the group which instead could be used towards helping animals.

If I imagine a good, balanced and strong structure, a group of people who Know what they are Doing, ..I think that such a structure could ''take away'' or ''deal'' with such inhumane people.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's good that they are trying something to make it better. I just hope that there will come a time that people won't brutally kill or treat an animal like that or any other ways.
I still think that if the group is working on themselves and then decide to help others, whether animals or humans, I think the outcome would be much greater. I could be very wrong though.

SAO said:
But that's definitely a question that we will face in the process of creating a new world - the concept of pets, and whether it makes any sense or not, and what to do with existing pets. For example, dogs definitely help people hunt - but does that justify having/using them as such?

It's really difficult to think about this, because you can't really ask an animal ''okay, are you ready to make a choice?, wanna stay with us or do you wanna go into the ''wild'' and stay there or both?". Much to think about... I guess the best thing to do would be to just take the pets with them and see how they react to the environment, see what happens..

Maybe instead of calling the dogs to help hunting, the hunter could just go and if the dogs notice he's going they might either go ''help'' him hunting or just stay with the rest/do something else etc. I think that some dogs might join the hunt and some might just chill. Could this be seen as some kind of choice or not? Just thinking here.

I thought I'd add a positive 3D/2D 'colission' to the thread. I posted this elsewhere before, but now we have a 2D section. :)

_http://www.mfuwelodge.com/gallery_elephants.htm

A regular occurrence at the Mfuwe Lodge in the South Luangwa National Park in Zambia where the lodge was unwittingly built on the Elephant's traditional path through to some wild mango trees on the property. The herd of a dozen or so elephants walk through the lodge's reception area at least twice a day for about 4 weeks and then sporadically for about another 3 weeks to feed on the trees. No incidents reported to date!

lrg_mfuwe_eles_01.jpg

lrg_mfuwe_eles_16.jpg

lrg_mfuwe_eles_05.jpg

Getting their room key...

lrg_mfuwe_eles_06.jpg

lrg_mfuwe_eles_07.jpg

lrg_mfuwe_eles_03.jpg

lrg_mfuwe_eles_14.jpg

That's awesome E! I remember reading about this somewhere on the net. Talk about a tourist attraction :shock:

Heimdallr said:
That's awesome E! I remember reading about this somewhere on the net. Talk about a tourist attraction :shock:

Thanks Heimdallr :)

It made me think of this bit from Life of Pi:

You see this in their spatial relations. An animal inhabits its space, whether in a zoo or in the wild, in the same way chess pieces move about a chessboard – significantly. [...]

Both speak of pattern and purpose. In the wild, animals stick to the same paths for the same pressing reasons, season after season.

I MUST visit this lodge one day in mango season!

Oxajil said:
Maybe the misunderstanding (due to lack of knowledge perhaps?) of the ''cruelty'' of Nature leads to people trying to act like saviors.

Oxajil said:
In this society, we can do little to change our relationship with animals (I think), all we can do is to just try to take care of them the best way we can.

We had a situation this week at a game reserve that’s relevant to this threat.

_http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/News/1059/b751b1c45e424fc2a99ee532b7d55d6d/29-09-2009-02-50/Search_for_distressed_elephant

There’s a lot of live webcams at waterholes here so that people can view the activity online. This week an elephant appeared at a waterhole which was obviously in distress. First everyone thought the elephant was experiencing birth complications.

The reserve had “a policy of non-intervention when it comes to animals in distress not caused by humans”, as does most reserves in South Africa. The situation caused a big public uproar, with radio stations discussing it and people calling in. It carried on for days! You know that’s where I can’t understand people, and their inability to use their brains. Yeah, great policy! But obviously there are EXEPTIONS TO THE RULE!

Eventually they darted the elephant and discovered that due to old age the animal had no teeth left and swallowed her food whole, and was therefore constipated. They euthanized her in the end.

There’s right, and there’s wrong. And then there’s the specific circumstance which determines which is which!

Back
Top Bottom