People with glasses... What do you ACTUALLY see?

I guess what I see is much like impressionist art, bold colours with little to no definition.
I have, for about the last 8 or 9 years, taken to deliberately squinting in the beginning stages of a painting. I don't want detail to get in the way, so by squinting I can isolate values. As a result, I need reading glasses and my vision is getting progressively worse. Your reference to impressionist art is exactly what I'm looking to see!

Not my greatest idea. :shock:

I have, for about the last 8 or 9 years, taken to deliberately squinting in the beginning stages of a painting. I don't want detail to get in the way, so by squinting I can isolate values. As a result, I need reading glasses and my vision is getting progressively worse. Your reference to impressionist art is exactly what I'm looking to see!

I have to change that...I don't really mean squinting, although I do that, but more like slightly cross-eyed...only a little, but enough to blur.

I'm sorry, I couldn't help but chuckle at this, and I'm as blind as a bat!:-D

I have to change that...I don't really mean squinting, although I do that, but more like slightly cross-eyed...only a little, but enough to blur.

That's a common thing for artists to do. I'm already near sighted, so I can just take off my glasses. Have you thought about some kind of plastic filter to look through, like a piece of translucent vellum paper? It might break up the details, and lighten the values, but still maintain the relative values. Or even using a cell phone camera with a blur filter.

That's a common thing for artists to do. I'm already near sighted, so I can just take off my glasses. Have you thought about some kind of plastic filter to look through, like a piece of translucent vellum paper? It might break up the details, and lighten the values, but still maintain the relative values. Or even using a cell phone camera with a blur filter.
Thank you, those are good ideas, I'll give them a try!

FWIW, but I have got a book Improve your Eyesight - A Guide to the Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses by Jonathan Barnes here. So far I have only read a few pages, but this bit about how emotional disturbance affects the eyes certainly caught my attention:

In Chapter 2 we saw that vision is a function of the cerebral cortex, and is a creative process closely allied to imagination and memory. In light of this, it is not unreasonable to suggest that a disturbance elsewhere in the cortex, in the areas concerned with thought and feelings, might have an influence on the visual process. It is certainly true to say that emotional disturbance can upset other functions of the cortex. A child in school, for example, is unlikely to be at its most receptive in a state of boredom or unhappiness. The creative processes of memory and imagination (seen at their best, perhaps, in the composition of a work of art or literature) appear to function most efficiently in a mind that is calm and unharassed.
The first part of the Bates hypothesis, then, states that - in some manner which ultimately interferes with the mechanism of accommodation - emotional disturbance adversely affects the visual process. If this is true, the hypothesis may be enlarged at this stage to include certain predictions.
If emotional disturbance makes refractive error worse, then presumably a return to emotional stability will make it better again.

FWIW, but I have got a book Improve your Eyesight - A Guide to the Bates Method for Better Eyesight without Glasses by Jonathan Barnes here. So far I have only read a few pages, but this bit about how emotional disturbance affects the eyes certainly caught my attention:
I have been experiencing improvement in my eyesight. This is what I have experienced. It may not apply to anyone else, and above all, what I am posting is Research for Entertainment Purposes Only.
I have no authority nor license to give any medical, psychological, or life skills advice, I just have information to share, for entertainment purposes only.

Finding the “key” to unlock the reason why eyesight decreased to begin with, is an interesting adventure.

When I was 14 years old, I became near sighted, developed myopia and I have worn corrective glasses for 56 years.
My eyesight has gradually worsened over the years, with slight increases in lens strength.

Then, six months ago, mid-December, 2018, I had a breakthrough while working on a different problem I was dealing with.
I finally found “the feeling”!

What I was dealing with is a health condition that is considered “Genetic” and has killed or disabled many of my family members. The medical establishment calls it several names, but membranous nephropathy or Chronic Kidney Failure are the most common "diagnosis".

In the new paradigm of medicine /biological system that I have studied, the condition is connected with “abandonment” and the deep sense of “being cast adrift”, “left without my Tribe”, and is a survival response, meant to help one survive until the harsh conditions are solved.
Unless it does not get resolved, or there is "Medical intervention" then, things get pretty unhealthy, from what I have seen and experienced.

When I “got” to the core of it, this past December, the physical health improvements and healing that I experienced were immediate, AND resulted in my eyesight improving!

I didn’t know my eyes had improved though, I didn’t put two and two together.

Because I wore my glasses all the time, I always put them on as soon as I woke, and took them off when I went to bed.

During the following days, I noticed that stuff was blurry, I wasn’t able to read traffic signs well, and so I finally broke down and made an appointment with the Optometrist.

…but it was because my glasses were too STRONG now!!

When I saw the Optometrist in May, he said that my one eye had improved by 50 points, the other by 25 points.

He checked me over twice, looking for glaucoma, which can cause an “Improvement” but only temporary, dilation, scopes and lights, and then, gee, all the floaters were gone too! Lots of improvement, and I look forward to getting my eyes checked again in a few months.

My main point is, what I was dealing with, was NOT what is usually classified as “emotional”.

It was Deeper, far more visceral.

Using this group’s parlance, rather than System 2, the snappy, sparkly, impulsive, emotional conscious mind, this kidney thing and the vision thing, and probably most genetic health issues, are generated from System 1, the deeply Instinctive, soulful and innocently trusting primitive mind. The “mind” that Darwinians say makes us "Savages"...

Darwin was wrong about that, too. Or, so I think.

Back
Top Bottom