Petrochemical Plant Blast


The Living Force
An explosion rocked a petrochemical plant in the Chinese province of Shandong on Monday, with one person killed and seven missing, the state news agency Xinhua reported.

One Dead, Seven Missing after Blast at China Petrochemical Plant

Mon. June, 05, 2017 - The blast happened about an hour after midnight and triggered fires at the loading area of Linyi Jinyu Petrochemical Co. Ltd. in the Linyi Lingang Economic Development Zone, it said.

Six people were injured and the fire was being brought under control, Xinhua added.

The "responsible person" at the company which runs the plant had been detained, the news agency said, without giving details,, Reuters reported.

Deadly accidents are relatively common at industrial plants in China, and anger over lax standards has grown after three decades of swift economic growth marred by incidents from mining disasters to factory fires.

Huge chemical explosions in the port city of Tianjin in 2015 killed more than 170 people. President Xi Jinping vowed after the Tianjin blasts that the authorities should learn the lessons paid for in blood.

Rescuers work at the explosion site of a petrochemical company in Linyi, east China's Shandong Province, June 5, 2017. Eight people have been confirmed dead while nine were injured following an explosion at a petrochemical company in east China's Shandong Province Monday morning.

8 dead, 9 injured in petrochemical plant explosion

Rescuers have retrieved a further seven bodies following an explosion at a petrochemical company in eastern China's Shandong Province Monday morning, bringing the death toll to eight.

As of 4 p.m., the fire in Linyi city had been put out with secondary disasters unlikely, according to the emergency rescue headquarters.

Nine others were injured after a liquefied gas tanker exploded around 1 a.m. Monday, causing the fire in the loading area of Linyi Jinyu Petrochemical Company, in the city's Lingang Economic Development Area.

The injured were not in critical condition, according to the rescuers.

Police have detained the owner of the company.

More than 900 firefighters and over 170 fire engines were mobilized to extinguish the flames, with people in nearby villages and plants evacuated.

An investigation is underway.
Top Bottom