Pig Trotter Aspic

Laura

Administrator
Administrator
FOTCM Member
Yesterday we were talking about making an aspic for hotter weather. We decided to do it with pig feet. It turned out DELICIOUS!

We took for pig feet, put them in the pressure cooker.
Added:
About 15 whole cloves
2 level tsps salt
1 tsp pepper
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon dried onions
1/4 tsp dried garlic.
2 to 3 cups vinegar
Cover with water and a little extra.

Lock down the lid and cook at medium to low pressure for 2 hours.

Let cook until you can put your hands in it. Remove all bones.

Use the immersion blender to make a smooth liquid.

Add some parsley, crumbled hard boiled egg yolks.

Pour in terrine dish and refrigerate over night.

Slice and serve with butter or vinegar or mayonnaise or whatever.

You could also steam a carrot and some peas to put in just before refrigerating. Then, when you slice, you would have little colored circles. Or olives. Grated carrots (should be cooked so they won't go bad.

In short, a lovely, tasty aspic that you can do variations on.

That sounds delicious. Maybe cut up some of the meat by hand to add a bit of texture to it? I love the idea of a few peas and carrots too.

Esoterica was repelled by the idea of cooking pigs feet when I suggested it for broth so this could be a good introduction for him.

This reminds my of 'Brawn' a kind of a cold jellied meat loat made with....tongue (I think) can remember my mother making it.

My grandmother would make pressed cow tongue and it would jellify in the fridge after cooking. She peeled it first (after cooking and before putting in fridge.)

Thanks for another keto recipe.

I can say that so far, this has been the BEST keto snack I've tried! Plus, you get all the minerals and cartilage from the bones, with practically 0 carbs if you don't add veggies. Yummy! Highly recommended.

Next time we'll take a picture!

You can eat the pig trotter without dividing it, no? ... well, it sounds like a typical dish in this region, and I like it too, for some reason I had found that I like to gnaw/chew it until there is no meat/cartilage in the bone, that happends too with ribs. For the purpose to eat them alone, though. One/me, leave aside all good manners in eating. :P

The ones that I use to eat looks like this:

Attachments

• P1110531.JPG
    P1110531.JPG
    425 KB · Views: 325
mabar said:
You can eat the pig trotter without dividing it, no? ... well, it sounds like a typical dish in this region, and I like it too, for some reason I had found that I like to gnaw/chew it until there is no meat/cartilage in the bone, that happends too with ribs. For the purpose to eat them alone, though. One/me, leave aside all good manners in eating. :P

The ones that I use to eat looks like this:
The pic you posted looks to me like what we call pickled pigs feet in the states. My dad used to eat those a lot.

Thanks for the recipe, Laura.

I always add pigs feet to our bone broth. It adds nutrition and a lot of yummy stuff, even though it takes a little effort to remove the tiny bones when the broth is done fwiw.

truth seeker said:
The pic you posted looks to me like what we call pickled pigs feet in the states. My dad used to eat those a lot.
I think it might be the same. I was in the need to find the image without other ingredients that might be consider "threatening" with your diet (here forum), and I usually took those ingredients off too.

I did find a picture of a Pig Trotter Aspic as the recipe Mrs. Laura shared, but it does have too such threatening -perhaps? ingredients (pepper, capsicum? red, green, yellow). It was a winner contest Spanish recipe. So I didn't inserted it. I search it to give me an idea of how it looks like. I am unfamiliar aspics.

Thanks, Laura! In Russia aspic is a standart classic food for New Year holydays but i never eat it with hard boiled egg yolks...will try)

Without pressure cooker you have to wait about 4 hours before it will be cooked. Cutted garlic is an excellent addition too. FWIW

Laura said:
Lock down the lid and cook at medium to low pressure for 2 hours.

Let cook until you can put your hands in it. Remove all bones.

Use the immersion blender to make a smooth liquid.

I bought pig trotters a few weeks back. Boiled them until done and slapped them on a plate but I just couldnt eat it, there were hairs still on it.. just put me off and that white soggy skin! Anyway this sounds good and I'll try this. But I'd like to know regarding the quote above. Should that be "let cool until you can put your hands in it"? And do you blend it in the pressure cooker so all the stock is used or do you drain?

That should be "Let COOL" until you can put your hands in it!!!

Laura said:
That should be "Let COOL" until you can put your hands in it!!!

LOL. I was pretty confused about that part of the cooking directions.

Jerry said:
Thanks for the recipe, Laura.

I always add pigs feet to our bone broth. It adds nutrition and a lot of yummy stuff, even though it takes a little effort to remove the tiny bones when the broth is done fwiw.
Ditto, and also add pigs feet (trotters) for making 'head cheese' from the pig's head.

I overdid with the quantity of pig trotters aspic I made for myself alone. Now I have a great dish of them still laying in my fridge after 11 days, since I prepared them. I´d like to ask: Do you all think it is safe to still consume it? Normally I´m very sensitive to any kind of doubtful food smell and taste, but in this case it still tastes like the first day I made them. Couldn´t find anything on this topic on Google until now.

I´d thank any advise in the forum!

Note: The pig trotter aspic is really fulfilling, and besides I loved them so much as a kid with truffle sauce too, but I forgot it. This will be one of my next experiments, just pouring hot truffles sauce on it and I will report then.

Hi hesperides,

It really depends on the average temp in your fridge: the closer to zero C on average the more chances there are it will be still consumable after 11 days. You have to use your nose and taste buds to decide. Just wait about half an hour after you got your portion out of the fridge and then decide whether you want to eat it or not. It's no use deciding right out of the fridge because any dish reveals its true properties only at about room temperature or higher. Good luck!

Hope this helps a bit. :)

Thank you Palinurus for your kind advise. :)

That´s what I did actually, but I still felt the need to ask because long ago I got ill twice from food in bad shape and have not been able to detect anything suspicious in smell and taste by the time so that I´m rather cautious since then.

Back
Top Bottom