Planning a Trip to Europe!

I'm not sure if you're backpacking by train. If this is so, sounds like you're going to make a stop in Milan and if this is so, don't forget to make a reservation to see the Last Supper with AT LEAST one week of anticipation. If you make your reservation with 4 days of anticipation, you might find out there is already no place and miss it... The Da Vinci code :-) I was surprised to see that the painting was quite big and when St. Marie delle Grazie (home of the Last Supper) was bombarded, that particular wall was unaffected as per divine intervention. There are some pictures taken after the World War in exposition at St. Marie delle Grazie and everything looks pretty much destroyed except for that area.

From The True Identity of Fulcanelli and The Da Vinci Code:

last_supper_1.jpg

Spot cassiopea ;-)

If you're flying then probably you won't visit Milan, but it seems like you've got plenty to visit around :-)

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update, im in paris right now stayin at this hostel that was difficult to find.

London was awesome, met a lot of cool people there, saw some sights, but the darned Brittish Museum was all closed up when i went even though it was technically "open". Weird.

I've been using all my spare time to go through Gnosis I and thus far i must say its been the most informative work on the subject yet. ISOTM was confusing, and Castenda is more fictional story esque, where gnosis reads more like a text book which i can outline strategy from.

Anywho there's a bunch of peeps waiting for the internet, so ill hop along and wish everyone well.

peace

Cyre2067 said:
I've been using all my spare time to go through Gnosis I and thus far i must say its been the most informative work on the subject yet. ISOTM was confusing, and Castenda is more fictional story esque, where gnosis reads more like a text book which i can outline strategy from.
I'll be interested to hear your comments about Gnosis when you return - I am currently struggling through the second book. (discussed in the Ben thread). Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

I thought the typical American never visited Europe.

Maybe I'm a typical European - I've never been to America ;-)
Unfortunately I've missed my chance, because the America I thought I'd heard about has been destroyed, no longer exists. and perhaps it never did, really.

domivr said:
And they also demand ice in their drinks.
And what's wrong with THAT?! I have to tell you that I was shocked when we first moved here to discover that there just isn't anyplace to buy ice. In the US, you can go to any corner store and buy big bags of cubes or shaved ice. So, if you are having a party and run out, you just run out for a few minutes, and presto! Ice!

But damned if I could find a single place to buy ice here. And, in this case, it wasn't for a party, it was for a sprained ankle.

Back in the summer of 2003, ice was needed in LARGE quantities and our automatic ice-maker in the fridge could not keep up. I think if there had been lots of ice, so many people would not have died of heatstroke.

When you are born and raised in the tropics, as I was, ice is a very important commodity when it is hot outside.

Joe said:
domvir said:
laura said:
And what's wrong with THAT?!
it's probably the fact that it is "demanded" :-)
'tis also a question of what drink it is. Ice with a decent single malt is simply blasphemy :-) When I ordered an Oban in San Fransisco it was automatically served with ice... what a waste... ;-)

Laura said:
domivr said:
And what's wrong with THAT?!
Hi Laura,

Nothing. It is a cultural difference. This is what I have observed having grown up in a tourist town in Europe.
Having said that, back then I never wanted ice in my drinks because it was made with chlorinated tap water. It would ruin a nice glass of Spa/Evian/etc mineral water. If I had water with dinner it would certainly not be tap water, which is what you get served in the US. You ask for bottled water and they look at you funny. I take my own water in restaurants now.

Laura said:
I have to tell you that I was shocked when we first moved here to discover that there just isn't anyplace to buy ice. In the US, you can go to any corner store and buy big bags of cubes or shaved ice. So, if you are having a party and run out, you just run out for a few minutes, and presto! Ice!

But damned if I could find a single place to buy ice here. And, in this case, it wasn't for a party, it was for a sprained ankle.
Having made the opposite trip across the big pond I am well aware of this and have gotten used to what you describe. In my case I only buy ice made from spring water.

Along the same lines it is hard to find what I consider chocolate in US. Other examples are canned tuna in olive oil and ground coffee with chicory.

Laura said:
Back in the summer of 2003, ice was needed in LARGE quantities and our automatic ice-maker in the fridge could not keep up. I think if there had been lots of ice, so many people would not have died of heatstroke.

When you are born and raised in the tropics, as I was, ice is a very important commodity when it is hot outside.
I can certainly appreciate a nice glass of sweat tea when it is hot, a beverage which is hard to find on the West coast.

I see a relocation stories thread coming ...

Dominique

domivr said:
I can certainly appreciate a nice glass of sweat tea when it is hot, a beverage which is hard to find on the West coast.
Being hot is one thing, but jeez, sweat tea? That's just pushing it!
That's gotta be the one wrong way to eat a recess. :lol:

Laura said:
domivr said:
And what's wrong with THAT?! I have to tell you that I was shocked when we first moved here to discover that there just isn't anyplace to buy ice.
Ah but did that shock create fusion of your "I"? Or maybe mostly confusion? Mirth!
I'm guessing Brent is back and no longer "tripping". Unless he decided to stay in Amsterdam for a while that is... (I kid I kid!)

I'm also planning a trip to Europe, probably around summertime. France is definitely a destination, but I guess I'll make that thread when this is more certain. I second Donald's question though, would love to know how the trip went!

Went to Madrid then to Barcelona , London then took the train to Paris.......We went to the Prado in Madrid and it was amazing to see a painting of an army batillion on their horses in this courtyard 14th century circa then to have dinner in the same outdoor courtyard that night. In Barcelona, the Gaudi buildings and various museums were equally grand. Great nitelife there in a city that never sleeps. It's great for the niteowls. While there, I visited the Picasso museum. It contains the families personal collection as well as his cubist studies using a pigeon series in various stages of cubist experimentation. It was his prepretory study (down and dirty) for his collaboration with Georges Brach "les madamoiselles de avinion" . You could literally see his struggles and breakthroughs in it;s various stages . it starts out very monochrome and starts to acquire color as he masters the movement of the frames.. His thought process is clearly transparant. There is also a museum featuring Joan Miro'.

oops, forgot to mentyon the Fransisco Goya collection. Its huge... BTW watch out for yje pickpockets. They coordinate their attacks using cellphones and cafe racers. It's a flyby picking. We sat in a late night cafe and watched them work the tourist. Not pretty!

Back
Top Bottom