Pork Jowl (what to do)

Nawd

Dagobah Resident
Hey all. So I was at the local market, and found on sale what looked to be some sort of bacon. It was really cheap though, and smoked. It was called Pork Jawl. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with it other than render it for the fat? I thought I'd find something online as far as baking it, or something. Any experience? Recipies? Anything?

Thanks!

Re: Pork Jawl (what to do)

Generally you use pieces of it to season vegetables. Cut it into thick slices and put two or three of them in a pot of green beans, collards, etc. It is also used in cooking dried beans and black-eyed peas. If you cook any of those, soak them overnight first to break down the lectins.

You can also slice and fry it like bacon.

Hi,
I am a big fan of good pork jowl bacon, I just slice it and fry it like regular bacon, the texture is much finer than back bacon. sometimes it can be too salty and bitter though so slice a little off and try it fried. if it is too salty it can be used like salt pork too, and in place of regular bacon to flavor beans or collard greens.

Great! I have a bag of black-eyed peas I've been wanting to make. Ohhh and collards! Yum! Thanks for the ideas, I'll try it as a substitute for bacon too and see what it tastes like.

Would it be good to put in veggies for canning purposes?

Laura said:
Generally you use pieces of it to season vegetables. Cut it into thick slices and put two or three of them in a pot of green beans, collards, etc. It is also used in cooking dried beans and black-eyed peas. If you cook any of those, soak them overnight first to break down the lectins.

You can also slice and fry it like bacon.

Back
Top Bottom