Pork rinds

JayMark said:
There is a common kitchen though downstairs with a regular oven but I don't have time to monitor my food for such a long time, and we can't leave it there with no surveillance. Anyhow, could be useful for other stuff.

Is it possible to use the downstairs oven overnight? I usually put the pork rind in the oven around 9-10pm, leave it on overnight at 110C/230F and take them out in the morning around 7 or 8am. I doubt anyone would steal pork skin, nor should there be too many people wanting to use the oven at that time.

Heimdallr said:
JayMark said:
There is a common kitchen though downstairs with a regular oven but I don't have time to monitor my food for such a long time, and we can't leave it there with no surveillance. Anyhow, could be useful for other stuff.

Is it possible to use the downstairs oven overnight? I usually put the pork rind in the oven around 9-10pm, leave it on overnight at 110C/230F and take them out in the morning around 7 or 8am. I doubt anyone would steal pork skin, nor should there be too many people wanting to use the oven at that time.

That's a good question which I'll ask to the girl in charge on the residences when she comes to work.

I also doubt anyone will steal my pork skin nor will want to use the facilities at night.

I'll still do this on week days though as many people just stay up late on week-ends and often have the munchies if you get my drift. Even straight pork skin could look good for a 'starving' person. lol

Thanks!

I've made some pork rinds (that had some fat on it), sprinkled some salt on them and they were really delicious. The tough thing mostly is cutting it... the skin is really difficult to cut through as it is a bit rubbery. So if anyone has any tips on a particular knife, please let me know! What I eventually did is to take the skin out from the freezer and let it rest for 10 minutes or so and then cut it with a sharp knife. So when it's frozen it's easier to cut. Well, just thought I'd share this, if it would help anybody.

Oxajil said:
I've made some pork rinds (that had some fat on it), sprinkled some salt on them and they were really delicious. The tough thing mostly is cutting it... the skin is really difficult to cut through as it is a bit rubbery. So if anyone has any tips on a particular knife, please let me know! What I eventually did is to take the skin out from the freezer and let it rest for 10 minutes or so and then cut it with a sharp knife. So when it's frozen it's easier to cut. Well, just thought I'd share this, if it would help anybody.
That is the 'right technique, it just needs a few hours in the freezer to get to this stage from fresh. It is also the technique for slicing cured bacon.

As for a sharp knife, what I have found best, and my butcher agrees, is a 'Stanley' knife - hobby knife - usually with a retractable blade that is as sharp as a razor (and probably the thickness of two or three razor blades).

Oxajil said:

I use a knife to shave off fat if there's a lot left on the rind, but to cut the rind into small pieces I use a scissors. It was much easier, for me at least, than using a knife. Your idea to cut it half frozen is a good one though.

Prodigal Son said:
As for a sharp knife, what I have found best, and my butcher agrees, is a 'Stanley' knife - hobby knife - usually with a retractable blade that is as sharp as a razor (and probably the thickness of two or three razor blades).

I'll be looking into that, thanks PS! I was at the butcher today and he showed me how he cuts it (with the skin upward), but he used a huge knife for that! Don't think I could afford such a knife, so I'll be looking iinto the Stanley one.

Heimdallr said:
I use a knife to shave off fat if there's a lot left on the rind, but to cut the rind into small pieces I use a scissors. It was much easier, for me at least, than using a knife. Your idea to cut it half frozen is a good one though.

I actually like the fat on it, cause I get fatty pork rinds afterwards, as well as (liquid) lard. I don't cook them in the oven, but just put them in a small pan with the heat on low. I kinda know now when the pork rinds are done, as I don't want the rinds to be hard as a rock or too rubbery. And using scissors sounds like a good idea too, thank you Heimdallr!

Oxajil said:
I actually like the fat on it, cause I get fatty pork rinds afterwards, as well as (liquid) lard. I don't cook them in the oven, but just put them in a small pan with the heat on low. I kinda know now when the pork rinds are done, as I don't want the rinds to be hard as a rock or too rubbery. And using scissors sounds like a good idea too, thank you Heimdallr!
Yeah, me too. :) I also use a meat scissors I got from Ikea. I think they're relatively inexpensive so you may be able to stock up on a few if you choose to go that route.

truth seeker said:
Yeah, me too. :) I also use a meat scissors I got from Ikea. I think they're relatively inexpensive so you may be able to stock up on a few if you choose to go that route.

Thank you truth seeker, I'll get one and see how it works out.

Another possibility is to stick them in the oven and start drying them with salt, and about an hour later, when they get warm and soft, cut them with scissors or a sharp knife. That tends to make it easier as well.

Back
Top Bottom