Possible change or corruption of quality of supplements and medication

Breo

Dagobah Resident
There has been a discussion in the last reading workshop if the quality of supplements and medication is reducing or being corrupted. It was suggested to open a thread to share and compare observations.

What are your observations on the quality of the supplements and medication that you take?
Have any of you observed a loss of quality or a possible corruption of certain products?
Are there specific products that you think are worthy to pay attention to, which maybe even became unsafe?

E.g it was observed that „Now“ NAC capsules had visible brown specks on them and the question came up, if they are possibly molded?

E.g. a private conversation with an MD was reported, who mentioned that dentists in his network observed that the content of the anesthetic solution for dental injections has been corrupted. They noticed the liquid had magnetic properties as a magnet would stick to the samples.

Also the contents of the basic infusion solution for intravenous (IV) therapy, (0.9% NaCl, Normal Saline Solution, NSS) was analyzed with dark field microscopy – and particles were found „that should not be there“. No further specifics were given. The results of both examples have not been confirmed by other sources and have not been published.

So it was suggested that these questions might be relevant to share to gather more information, professional evaluation, articles and scientific research.
Are there further examples and experiences of loss or corruption of quality with supplements and medication, that forum members have observed and read about?

E.g it was observed that „Now“ NAC capsules had visible brown specks on them and the question came up, if they are possibly molded?
Thanks again guys for the great discussion we had yesterday :flowers:

I was a bit worried regarding the brown specks on my NOW NAC capsules, which could be mold as we discussed. So I went ahead and emailed NOW Foods this morn if there could be mold in my capsules (which contain selenium and molybdenum as well), and they already came back with their reply:

---

"This is a normal oxidative reaction among the ingredients, but the product is safe to consume.

NOW Foods NAC capsules contain selenium and molybdenum compounds, which are more prone to speckle under certain conditions.

The minerals in the NAC formula are co-factors to help convert NAC into glutathione. These mineral compounds tend to darken in the mixture over time, but our testing indicates that it is not mold and the product is still testing to meet our label claims. This happens more readily when moisture gets into the bottle and accentuates that the added minerals themselves already have dark speckles, as noted on our specifications. It’s just more noticeable when the mixture absorbs a little moisture, which enhances and deepens colors.

We advise to keep the bottle tightly sealed between uses and not store in humid areas of the house (typically kitchen and bathroom).

To slow down this process, please either refrigerate or freeze the bottle."

---

So, good to know that they are apparently testing (perhaps after having received multiple complaints?), and that they take their customer base seriously. (BTW, I only started to keep the bottle in the fridge some 2 months ago when that was suggested somewhere, before I kept it in a kitchen drawer next to where I do my cooking, not a good idea apparently!)
Thank you, Laurs for the fast clarification.

On shelf life and expiration dates, that were also discussed, there is a post by Gaby:

Here's an article for some perspective:

In short, the ivermectin will probably outlive us.
Researchers analyzed eight prescription drugs that expired between 28 and 40 years ago and found that most were just as potent as when they were made.

Back
Top Bottom