Possible infection in the big toe

Learner

The Living Force
FOTCM Member
I have some problem in the right big toe which is going on since Christmas. It is inflamed around the nail, with the swelling going from the nail to the first joint. I showed it to my doctor and to a podiatrist, and they recommended salves (povidone / Betadine salve, Traumeel for reducing the swelling, Arnica), footbaths and protecting it with patches. The nail has turned yellow but just doesn't grow out and stays instead. I have been wondering if it might be a fungal or bacterial infection, or something like paronychia. Looking up pictures on Google seems to be confirming this but don't want to self-diagnose while I have been mending with the advice thus far, but not seeing it getting better. Thus I'm asking for some additional perspective. Thank you.

Did you tried to put Essential Oil of Tea Tree? It is a good Essential oil for infection and at the same time it facilitates healing. I imagine how painful it can be. What I do not understand is how your podiatrist can not help you more than that if he sees that the problem persists. Today if you do not have Covid, you do not exists.

Also I was thinking maybe you can put your foot in hot water with Epson salt?

Did you tried to put Essential Oil of Tea Tree? It is a good Essential oil for infection and at the same time it facilitates healing. I imagine how painful it can be. What I do not understand is how your podiatrist can not help you more than that if he sees that the problem persists. Today if you do not have Covid, you do not exists.

Also I was thinking maybe you can put your foot in hot water with Epson salt?
Yes, your podiatrist doesn't seem to be helping. Maybe a second opinion would be a good idea also. Hope you find a solution for your toe, as you must be in some pain.

It needs to be looked at by a health care provider to determine if it is fungal, bacterial, both, or other. If there are doubts, a biopsy or lab analysis can be requested.

Yes, your podiatrist doesn't seem to be helping. Maybe a second opinion would be a good idea also. Hope you find a solution for your toe, as you must be in some pain.
Alternatively you can go back to your originals, explain that things haven't improved enough, and insist on the services Gaby recommended. My folks and their family have had a lot of stressful experiences and tragedies with medical professionals, and they always stressed that you have to advocate for yourself. They're there to provide a service, after all.

I have some problem in the right big toe which is going on since Christmas. It is inflamed around the nail, with the swelling going from the nail to the first joint. I showed it to my doctor and to a podiatrist, and they recommended salves (povidone / Betadine salve, Traumeel for reducing the swelling, Arnica), footbaths and protecting it with patches. The nail has turned yellow but just doesn't grow out and stays instead. I have been wondering if it might be a fungal or bacterial infection, or something like paronychia. Looking up pictures on Google seems to be confirming this but don't want to self-diagnose while I have been mending with the advice thus far, but not seeing it getting better. Thus I'm asking for some additional perspective. Thank you.
Hi Learner, I was getting similar infections as I aged until I began taking some high quality vitamin C. Half a gram per day was enough and I haven't got any colds or flu since! Get well soon!

My mother had a similar problem with her big toe. What I did for her (suspecting it was fungal because under the nail looked kind of 'cheesy') was suspend fluconazole powder in 70% DMSO and applied it topically to the toe. I used a cotton tipped swab to get as much dmso under the toe nail as possible.

The toe healed and the tenderness disappeared in a couple of days, but I continued the treatment for about a week

You can also do the same with an antibiotic if there is indication of a bacterial infection. I just break open the capsule and add the powder to DMSO. Same with the anti-fungal fluconazole.

Of course the fluconazole and amoxicillin are by Rx here in the USA, so don't know about Germany. But there is always alibaba!

Wishing you speedy recovery!

I had a similar thing recently, some sort of infection around the toe nail.

What helped a lot was putting my foot in warm water for about 20 minutes two or three times a day.
I found that recommendation on the net while researching on paronychia, because it seemed that that was what I had.

Warm water helped to reduce the inflammation an symptoms, but then I also used an anti-fungal cream which worked really well.

You can try doing the warm water thing to see if it helps but I would also recommend checking with a physician to see what sort of infection it is so that you know what remedies would work best.

Thank you for your sympathetic replies and suggestions, everyone!

Now it's clearer for me on how I can proceed with this condition. Will go back with these ideas to the original podiatrist and to my doctor to get things going, once I come back home from my holidays in about a week. Would consult another doctor about this too if it becomes necessary. Will do mending with footbaths and try the remedies you suggested aside from the other medical work.

Two more details I forgot to add in my original posts: The nail produced a little bit of pus a few months back before turning yellow. The podiatrist also mentioned that the blood circulation in my feet is not that well, and my blood pressure is quite low in general.

FWIW, there is also a rare condition called yellow nail syndrome. A few highlights:

Yellow nail syndrome is a rare condition that affects the fingernails and toenails. People who develop this condition also have respiratory problems and lymphatic system problems with swelling in the lower parts of their body.

Yellow nail syndrome is when nails gradually turn yellow and thicken. Symptoms also include:
  • the loss of the cuticle, which is part of the protective skin covering the nail
  • nails that curve
  • nails that stop growing
  • nails that separate from the nail bed
  • nail loss
Yellow nail syndrome sometimes increases the risk for an infection around the soft tissue of the nails.

Fluid accumulation often accompanies yellow nail syndrome.

Respiratory problems may occur before or after your nails begin to change in color and shape.

The exact cause of yellow nail syndrome is unknown. This condition can start sporadically for no apparent reason, which occurs in most cases. Even so, in rare cases, it’s believed it may run in families. A mutation of the FOXC2 gene — which causes a disorder called lymphedema-distichiasis syndrome — may play a role in developing yellow nail syndrome.

Another belief is that yellow nail syndrome results from problems with lymphatic drainage. Improper circulation and drainage of lymph allows fluid to collect in the soft tissue under the skin, which may slowly turn nails yellow.

Some update: Got home from my holidays last week but have to quarantine myself formally for a few more days. So no doctor yet. But I'm doing footbaths diligently about twice a day with essential tea tree oil for now. Sometimes I put arnica balm on the nail, and once tried DMSO cream with a drop of the tea tree oil. Continue to protect the toe with plaster. The bad nail looks like it starts to grow out and what seems to be the fresh one underneath hasn't the yellow tinge. The swelling of the tissue area around the nail is still present.

Some update: Got home from my holidays last week but have to quarantine myself formally for a few more days. So no doctor yet. But I'm doing footbaths diligently about twice a day with essential tea tree oil for now. Sometimes I put arnica balm on the nail, and once tried DMSO cream with a drop of the tea tree oil. Continue to protect the toe with plaster. The bad nail looks like it starts to grow out and what seems to be the fresh one underneath hasn't the yellow tinge. The swelling of the tissue area around the nail is still present.
Hope your foot gets better soon, Learner, and that you can put to use the quarantine period either for healing, reading or whatever is best for you. :flowers:

Podiatrist here. Got some pictures? Macro of the nail and one from the top of the foot standing (with good light) would be most helpful. I'll try to make some good guesses and recommendations for confirmation and treatment. Also let me know if you have any underlying health issues, as these may influence my opinions and recommendations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom